Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theflyingexecutive posted:

that's a concern but less of one as health care providers are designed to be as least cost-effective as possible

health insurance companies are designed to pay out as little as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

computer parts posted:

insurance companies are designed to pay out as little as possible

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

you'll miss me when I'm gone

(taskrabbit guy was great, tipped him well, I have my living room back again)

literally supply side jesus dot jpg

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's still funny how redditors pretend they're on some super secret open source wild west internet community and not a loving media property of conde nast

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

computer parts posted:

that's why I said health care providers and not insurers

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

computer parts posted:

Most health insurance policies are pass through, they are non-risk and the policy holder pays all claims. the insurance company pays nothing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

forget incoherent growling about dragons and vikings, there is little more brutal than a geriatric behavioral health ward

apparently the last thing to go is the sex drive

and concerns about hitler

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

it's still funny how redditors pretend they're on some super secret open source wild west internet community and not a loving media property of conde nast

i think conde nast got sensitive to this kind of criticism and created a shell corporation that owns both them and reddit, so they can claim to not be in charge

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Citizen Tayne posted:

Most health insurance policies are pass through, they are non-risk and the policy holder pays all claims. the insurance company pays nothing.

that's how they pay their CEOs mid 9 figures a year! passing the savings on to you

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

gently caress you it's me!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

prefect posted:

i think conde nast got sensitive to this kind of criticism and created a shell corporation that owns both them and reddit, so they can claim to not be in charge

nah, they just transferred reddit up the chain so it's a direct subsidiary of advanced publications, which already existed

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the only good thing Conde Nast owns is arse technica

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

dick costolo just left twitter

Apr 7, 2003

Dick Costolo? about $1.5b in market cap! lol

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

atomicthumbs posted:

nah, they just transferred reddit up the chain so it's a direct subsidiary of advanced publications, which already existed

It used to be, but then they got moved to be an independent entity which is just mostly owned by advance publications.

Now I can't remember if this was after every redditor went apeshit that the creepy jailbait subreddits were closed down, after the many subreddits distributing illegally gained pictures of celebrities were closed down, or after the reddit community wrongly identified the boston bomber (turns out it wasn't some random black guy like they were sure of).

What I do know is that it definitely happened before every redditor went apeshit that a subreddit devoted to aggressively hating fat people was shut down for not policing the harassment of people.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
that startup castle thing from a month or two back got evicted.

http://fusion.net/story/149611/silicon-valleys-infamous-startup-castle-is-getting-evicted/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hi Everyone

Sorry to bear the bad news. We’ve been working hard to avoid this, but Startup Castle has to end.

Our landlord served us with a 3 day notice due to the media storm and the town of Woodside is now in deliberations to decide what to do with the situation. Sounds like a bad thing to get everyone here involved with, so today we told the town that we will be out of here this weekend. Thus, we have secured another house in Los Altos to move everyone to, and we all have to be out of here on Saturday.

What does this mean?

If everybody gets out in time, everybody gets a week free in a shared room. For private rooms, we’ll have to see what’s available. If you want to part ways amicably, you will be refunded for all remaining days. You’re also welcome to stay as we settle into a smaller community.

We are holding a fire sale starting today and going through Sunday. If you or anyone you know is interested in buying furniture please let us know.

The new house is definitely not as epic as this house, but it is more private and it has a nice organic garden. We are also going to set up the pool, and get a hot tub. Basically, we do whatever we want and don’t have to worry much about neighbors, the landlord, the town etc.

Relax, regroup, enjoy the peace of a much lower profile, and work on epic ideas.

Thank you!
Katie

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

*gets served an epic eviction notice*

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

oh my god

http://fusion.net/story/137709/former-residents-of-the-startup-castle-are-sharing-their-horror-stories-online/

quote:

“John, can I just keep a beer for myself in the fridge?”
“No. Absolutely not. never.”

quote:

I stayed at the House in September and October via Airbnb. Crazy doesn’t even scratch the surface. Some of the residents are interesting, but the level of personal dysfunction in the folks running the show creates a hostile environment.

John hopes to create a quasi-military situation in the civilian world. Jam on technical stuff with a common mission. Okay, fair enough. But he has no mission. He clearly wanted to be a leader, but he demonstrated no vision and was prone to temper tantrums (actually throwing stuff throughout the house, many days 3:30-5p). His not-a-girlfriend who thinks she’s his fiancee only added to the crazy.

I wish them no harm, but this house is not safe for women. It is best for 20-25 year old men who would dedicate their lives to fighting COBRA.

and an apologist

quote:

I give the founders of this house a ton of credit for trying to do something that is unique in Silicon Valley. they are trying to create a community of excellence. in an environment that encourages constant drinking and superficiality. so before you go judging what they’re trying to do why don’t you consider the value proposition they’re really offering. these are good people building a great community and for once somebody actually cares.

~*~community of excellence~*~

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

dick costolo just left twitter

Nice

Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

*gets served an epic eviction notice*

lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Twitter headline that redeems gawker: http://gawker.com/jack-off-to-executive-suite-with-dick-out-1710723519

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Citizen Tayne posted:

Dick Costolo? about $1.5b in market cap! lol

oh my god both of these

also recode:
Here’s Dick Costolo Saying His Job Was Safe Two Weeks Ago

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

syscall girl posted:

apparently the last thing to go is the sex drive

and concerns about hitler

my girlfriend's sister is doing a geriatric psych fellowship. her stories are loving terrifying

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

the talent deficit posted:

my girlfriend's sister is doing a geriatric psych fellowship. her stories are loving terrifying

you can't just say that and not tell any

:justpost:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/uberdrive-test-drive-your/id991154404?ls=1&mt=8

quote:

Think you know your way around town? Test your navigating skills with UberDRIVE, the city knowledge game that puts you in the driver’s seat. Help your riders get from A to B and earn high scores for figuring out the fastest routes—don’t get caught going the wrong way!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

On Tuesday, in a decision with major implications for ongoing litigation concerning the employee status of Uber drivers, Judge Chen ruled that Uber’s arbitration clause is unenforceable. In a seventy-page decision, the court held that the arbitration clause, which contained a class-action waiver, is both procedurally and substantively unconscionable under California law. The order comes in two cases involving claims related to background checks (Mohamed v. Uber and Gillette v. Uber), but it will apply to the O’Connor litigation, which we have covered in some depth and which raises directly the employment status question. Unless the decision in Mohamed and Gillette is reversed, this means that the claims in O’Connor can proceed to trial and will not be subject to mandatory – and individual – arbitration. This is clearly a major procedural development in what is shaping up to be the most important legal challenge to Uber’s classification of its drivers as independent contractors.

http://onlabor.org/2015/06/11/uber-arbitration-agreement-held-unconscionable/

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Have We Become Too Dependent On Uber?

These days it’s often easy to take technological innovations for granted.  I’m not that old, but I do still remember the days when I would have to look up a destination ahead of time with a service called Mapquest.  Or the time when you would actually have to make plans way in advance if you wanted to hang out with your friends.  I used to tell people to meet me at the mall and if I wasn’t there, I’d be at the parking lot in front of Safeway, and so forth.

Life was tough in the days before cell phones and the internet, but today’s technological innovations are a combination of technology and convenience.  It seems like every week there are new apps popping up that will do your dirty work.  If you want dinner delivered, there are 5 apps for that and if you don’t have the time to walk your dog, there’s even an app for that (it’s called Wag).

Uber is by far the most prominent app in this burgeoning on demand marketplace, allowing you to hail a ride with just the tap of your smart phone.  But with a $50 billion valuation, it’s also by far the biggest and most impactful.

Uber’s CEO, Travis Kalanick has actually stated that his goal is to make Uber cheaper than owning a car some day.  And so far, he’s following through on that promise.  Uber’s fares have been slashed no less than three times in major markets over the past year, which has been tough on drivers, but is great for passengers.  The cost of an Uber is now cheaper than ever and I often hear remarks from passengers like, “It’s only $4, might as well take an Uber.”

I’ve argued before that the on demand economy is making some of us lazy but there’s no doubt that that many people depend on these apps now more than ever.  Dependence isn’t all bad though.

In January, Uber released a study in partnership with MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) that detailed the decline in drunk driving arrests across the country.  The report didn’t exactly prove causation between the rise of Uber and fall of DUI’s but the results make a lot of sense.  As someone who is a driver, I can tell you that most of my passengers are in the under 30 category and most are on their way to some type of event where alcohol will be imbibed.

So in this sense, the more people depend on Uber, the safer our roads will be because there could be less drunk drivers.  For many passengers, ‘taking Uber’ has even become a line item on their transportation budget.  So there are some real benefits to society as a whole adopting Uber but how much is too much?

Uber recently pulled out of the Hamptons (a popular vacation getaway for New Yorkers) and loyal users took to Twitter:

Andy Cohen wrote, “I am trying to be a responsible citizen. I don’t drink & drive. Plz don’t ban my designated driver in EHampton.” 

It’s a little silly to imply that without Uber the only option is to drink and drive but that’s what it’s come down to for some.  In places where Uber has faced legal opposition, they often give riders a taste of what Uber-life is like and then pull out and urge their users to write/call/tweet local government.  This strategy has worked well so far with even taxi strongholds like Las Vegas considering bills to regulate rideshare now.

But one way to avoid the Uber-dependece is through diversification.  I’m a big fan of diversification in all aspects of life.  With my finances, I diversify between bonds, stocks and real estate.  And while transportation might not seem like something you need to diversify, there’s a whole host of benefits to doing so.

Other options might not be as convenient as Uber but they serve a place in society.  So if you’re like me and you value the ease of Uber but also understand the value of a diversified transportation portfolio, here are my suggestions:

Walk/Bike - It’s true that walking or biking are probably the cheapest methods of transportation, but the biggest benefit in my mind is the exercise.  Sometimes it pays to ditch the car and get some exercise.
Public Transportation – UberX pricing may one day compete with public transportation but for now, there are often numerous public transportation options that could serve your needs.
Carpool – Carpooling is ridesharing in its truest form and a great way to meet new people and travel in a cost-effective and environmentally-friendly way.Taxis - Believe it or not, taxis are still somewhat abundant and there are apps like Curb in the US and Hailo in Europe that are making it easier than ever to hail a taxi.
Other rideshare/ride-hail services – Uber is great but it’s not the only show in town.  As we’ve seen, competition is actually a good thing since it means companies like Uber, Lyft and Sidecar all have to compete for your business.  The more you support the underdog, the better off we’ll all be.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

coming to the occulus lyft

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Dick Out, Jack In is gonna be my next namechange

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh my god http://valleywag.gawker.com/the-deleted-web-poetry-of-jack-dorsey-1445042335

Apr 7, 2003

quote:

Kalanick has actually stated that his goal is to make Uber cheaper than owning a car some day.

yeah, and we'll be ridesharing with all those cars nobody is buying because uber is cheaper.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

theres a certain art to dealing with insurance adjustors

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

car2go showed up in copenhagen. its like uber but driverless :downs:

https://www.car2go.com/en/kobenhavn/

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

lmao, what a sellout. way to give up on anarcho-immediacy you goddamn poser.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
car2go is actually good

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

what's wrong with car2go? people aren't renting their cars out, Daimler is renting out its fleet of smartcars by the minute. am I missing something evil?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

theres a certain art to dealing with insurance adjustors

a friend of mine's parent's house was broken into, a bunch of stuff stolen and a fire set. the fire was stopped before the house was a complete write off, but it was pretty badly damaged. their insurance company was just denying everything and stalling and stuff.

his father is an attorney that practices real estate law and had won judgements in cases against that insurance company for doing that crap. i suspect insurance adjusters just allow all claims below a certain amount and deny everything above another and don't look at any details whatsoever until they're sued

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

what's wrong with car2go? people aren't renting their cars out, Daimler is renting out its fleet of smartcars by the minute. am I missing something evil?

it's fine. it's actual carshare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
hertz had a similar thing to car2go at my campus

it was a pretty good idea tbh but they didn't have many locations for cars

• Locked thread