Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Tengames posted:

so if the overtime kicks in for the other team in splat zone, even if they lose the point, the overtime doesnt end until you gain control of it.
Man, gently caress ranked battle.

In overtime, if the losing team loses control for enough time or if the winning team seizes control, winning team wins. So if you're winning in overtime, you can't just win with an Inkstrike: you've got to claim control yourself or otherwise deny for enough time to claim victory.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I managed to win a single game of ranked through Overtime. My team went from something like 98 - 34 into overtime and we managed to remember how to play the game and held on long enough to bring our timer down to 33, immediately ending it as a victory.

The other team must've been really disappointed when that happened.

I can top that. My team was down 90-1 in Arowana Mall. We took control just before time ended and managed to hold onto the point all the way from 90 to zero. I'm glad Splatoon doesn't have voice chat but I'd have paid good money to listen to the other team's screams there. Real shame, too, 'cause if they'd had 2 then they'd have at least gotten consolation points, but no, we got a knockout, so a winning run snatched at the very last second with nothing to show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That reminds me. Goddammit I'm still trying to figure out what that one guy meant by "the Left side of the map" on Arowana.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Squid Squad, the band that shows up on stuff around Inkopolis, must be the Inkling version of Human League

According to a few of the scrolls (#20ish??) that's Spyke's band

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Unlocked the E-Liter 3k and that made all the frustration of leveling in ranked mode worth it.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That reminds me. Goddammit I'm still trying to figure out what that one guy meant by "the Left side of the map" on Arowana.

im guessing from this part of the wiki:

http://splatoon.wikia.com/wiki/Arowana_Mall posted:

Notable Locations

The Middle - The Middle is probably where most battles in this map will take place as it's where the two sides meet. and it can be reached from all its sides. It's usually saught after during the begining of the battle and during it, as it can be easily taken over and protected. The ramps leading up to the Middle can be easily be taken by the team in control of the area, preventing the opposing team from attacking from that direction.
The Right Side - The Right Side is the same for both teams. It can only be reached from a team's Respawn point and from the Middle. It leads into roundabout areas which are usually claimed by the end of the game. The Right Side cannot be accessed from these areas but they can be useful to cover the opposing team's turf or their own but are easily targetable by the other team and can be forgotten about.
The Left Side - Just like the Right Side, the Left Side is also the same for both teams. It is typically taken by the team who controlls the side it's on and can be a great vantage point for inklings with chargers planning to attack the Middle, but leaves them very exposed, as the path leading up to it is a grate, which they can only walk on, without falling thorugh it, in humanoid form.
i guess he meant the side that controls that part always wins?

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

dogsicle posted:

I use Aerospray for Turf Wars, but it feels lacking in Ranked. Stuff like the Gal guns or chargers have given me better results there, though they aren't as easy to claim the zone with.
This is much more my opinion than anything else, but as an avid Aerospray MG user in TW, I think the Tentatek SS is one of the better balanced sets for Ranked. The SS has a solid rate of fire and damage, with a touch more range than the Aero, and both the sub and special are good at messing with people who like to spend all game on high ground (that is, dynamo rollers, probably every charger that isn't the squiffer, squelchers)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Maybe his brain was unconsciously assigning a sense of direction based on the shadows on the ground. Like, "oh we're starting on the east side this time". Except that "east" is a fixed direction that makes sense here, while "left" is a relative direction that does not. So what the gently caress.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Maybe his brain was unconsciously assigning a sense of direction based on the shadows on the ground. Like, "oh we're starting on the east side this time". Except that "east" is a fixed direction that makes sense here, while "left" is a relative direction that does not. So what the gently caress.

I've played so many matches on the Rig that I've gone insane as well as forgetting my sense of direction. You're actually pretty much right; I've been playing on the one map where assigning "left" and "right" is actually right, and now that there is no right about right or left, the subconcious labels based on which area is brighter is now right or left, so I'm left going left on the "left" spawnpoint when I mean to go right on "left", and vice versa.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was seriously hoping you just got Saltspray Rig and Arowana Mall mixed up.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Alabaster White posted:

I've played so many matches on the Rig that I've gone insane as well as forgetting my sense of direction. You're actually pretty much right; I've been playing on the one map where assigning "left" and "right" is actually right, and now that there is no right about right or left, the subconcious labels based on which area is brighter is now right or left, so I'm left going left on the "left" spawnpoint when I mean to go right on "left", and vice versa.

:psyduck:

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Alabaster White posted:

I've read this 4 times and I still don't know what it means

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
He probably has an existential squid/kid-crisis as well.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

skeletronics posted:

I've read this 4 times and I still don't know what it means

right is left, war is peace, freedom is slavery, kids are squids

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jintor posted:

right is left, war is peace, freedom is slavery, kids are squids

Cats and dogs, living together! :stonk:

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Mass Hysteria!

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So far my favorite thing on Kelp Dome is tossing a sprinkler into the center area right off the start of the round.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Had one guy who spammed squid form whenever he got a kill on us. Good to see the old FPS spirit is alive. :smith:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

dogsicle posted:

Had one guy who spammed squid form whenever he got a kill on us. Good to see the old FPS spirit is alive. :smith:

Waste of time. What a loser.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
He sounds like a cool and powerful friend.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
The Splash-o-matic is arriving tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/609285216981483520

Sub is the Suction Bomb and the Super is Bomb Rush.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

dogsicle posted:

It's called seabagging

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Champeenship posted:

O-matic? Finally a weapon that plays the game by itself. Idle farming here I come!
Also suction bomb is just the strangest sub weapon, and giving it bomb rush doesn't name it seem any better.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
It's basically the sticky bomb/grenade you see in most games, just specific to walls. It's nice if you don't want the immediate explosion of the Burst Bomb or deal with how the Splat Bomb will slide off angled floors.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

A lot of Dynamo Rollers I fight lately have been using a trick. If you hide in squid, pull the trigger and then jump, instead of jumping and then triggering, it saves you a couple frames being exposed before your nightmare monster splash comes out. Anyways, that's for whoever here might be a dynamo.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

New weapon tomorrow!

Seems to come with Seekers and Bomb Rush.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

New weapon tomorrow!

Seeker rush
:chanpop:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

New weapon tomorrow!

See this is exactly why I rolled my eyes SO HARD at people bitching about the lack of content at launch. 2 weeks post launch and we've gotten, what, 3 new weapons, 2 new maps, and Ranked Splat Zones?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'm glad the content is coming fairly thick and fast, but it's all stuff that's right there on the disc and is being fed to us over time - I mean, we've been able to play Kelp Dome in Single Player for two weeks now. If this was all brand-new DLC, I'd be ecstatic.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Infinitum posted:

New weapon tomorrow!

It's whatever the sticky bombs are in english (it says "kyuuban bombs" in Japanese) so luckily it's not as powerful as seeker rush would be.

Cat Machine posted:

I'm glad the content is coming fairly thick and fast, but it's all stuff that's right there on the disc and is being fed to us over time - I mean, we've been able to play Kelp Dome in Single Player for two weeks now. If this was all brand-new DLC, I'd be ecstatic.

I'm hoping this is just padding time to keep interest up until they start releasing truly fresh content.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Thanks auto-translate

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Finally hit level 20, with the last match being a hilariously one-sided blowout of 85% ink coverage. I spawn camped them on Warehouse for half the match.

In the last five seconds, they finally managed to kill me. One of the Japanese players then began teabagging me by going kid/squid over my splat point :allears:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The new weapon looks cool but i think suction bombs suck.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
If secondary weapons didn't use all your ink, I'd probably be utilizing them more.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

mabels big day posted:

The new weapon looks cool but i think suction bombs suck.

I haven't quite figured out why they're suppose to be good. I kind of want to throw them on a wall really high up and rain hell on idiots. But then at that point why am I not just using a sprinkler?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Not all of the subweapons utilize more than half your ink, or are otherwise extremely useful. Ink mines, seekers, regular ink grenades, disrupters, and teleporters are the most useful. And sprinklers I guess but I haven't gotten the hang of using them yet.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sprinklers use soo much loving ink

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Disruptors are my personal favorite sub weapon mostly because they don't use up a lot of ink. And also because they're impossible to dodge unless you miss like an idiot, and that they show where the enemy is if they think they're smart by hiding in the ink.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Champeenship posted:

I hope the weapon itself is cool and interesting because Suction Rush is a goddamn shame.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Maybe they weapon is so good they had to saddle it with a lovely sub/super. Though that doesn't explain why they gave the Rapid Blaster the same set.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I hope it's terrible and the initial rush of everybody using it is hilarious.

I guess I'd be alright with new weapons that are actually fun and effective to use, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Had an excellent turf war match on Port Mackerel last night wherein I camped out all 4 people on their spawn when they couldn't figure out that A) the spawn point grants invincibility and B) that you're better off waiting for some of your team to spawn before going solo with someone stealthed in the area

Ended something like 84-3

• Locked thread