Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm talking to girls at the moment sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
lucky duck. nvmi found it im ok ;)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

bef posted:

WHEre is the bef. did you die? are we alll concerned

Ftfy

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurais-full-column-on-bias-claims-for-the-smash-bros-roster-balancing/

They do consider results from online battles when balancing

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

quote:

At the end of the day, I’m aiming for intermediately-skilled players to be able to properly enjoy the game. Fundamentally, my goal with Smash has been to create an “enjoyable party game”. If you want to enjoy thrilling tactical gameplay, you might be better suited for other 2D fighting games.

Recently, there was a tournament featuring the top Japanese and American players. In 1v1s, the natural tendency is to use low risk moves to gradually deal damage to the opponent. Smash attacks rarely came out, and the matches were prone to becoming long, drawn out affairs. When considering the variety of ways Smash can be played I think this is a waste, but the winner was certainly decided by skill.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Interesting quote:
"For example, there are two characters I can’t seem to get the hang of: Pit and Palutena. I personally feel those two are below average in terms of strength. If I further adjusted the game’s balance for myself, I would make them stronger, but that’s not what I’ve done."

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not samus?? what happens in this man's brain

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Nobody cares about the Metroid series. just let it die slowly and replace that roster slot with Dark Diddy

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Hey I run some convention poo poo for video games and I want to do a free tournament for smash where people just use their Amiibos. Is this a Bad Idea and if not how would you go about setting poo poo up for it?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Dizz posted:

Nobody cares about the Metroid series. just let it die slowly and replace that roster slot with Dark Diddy

I hope your game messes up and you can only play on the really big dk level

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Sakurai posted:

When it comes to Smash, every once in a while people will wrongly direct their anger towards me. They accuse me of things such as giving preference or strength to the characters that I’ve worked on in the past—in other words, the Kirby and Kid Icarus series characters. Oh my.

To be fair, Meta Knight was the unchallengeable best character in Brawl and never once moved from his position of #1, and in both Smash 4 versions there's a lot of items and characters from Kid Icarus implemented into Smash 4's gameplay compared to other franchises; so you can't say their accusations are baseless.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'd like to thank Sakurai for balancing this game for me.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Theta Zero posted:

To be fair, Meta Knight was the unchallengeable best character in Brawl and never once moved from his position of #1, and in both Smash 4 versions there's a lot of items and characters from Kid Icarus implemented into Smash 4's gameplay compared to other franchises; so you can't say their accusations are baseless.

That would probably be because they already had the assets on hand.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

signalnoise posted:

Hey I run some convention poo poo for video games and I want to do a free tournament for smash where people just use their Amiibos. Is this a Bad Idea and if not how would you go about setting poo poo up for it?

The correct answer is to advertise it as amiibo cockfighting.

But seriously just run it is a regular tournament. Most tournaments either do 2 stock 6 minutes or 3 stock 8 minutes, with a small batch of legal stages (you could probably just have the stage be chosen randomly, or just always omegas or something). Since it's just "for fun" you probably could just run it single elimination.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

signalnoise posted:

I'm actually going to a con this weekend that apparently is having exactly that in tandem with their regular tourney. If I get a chance to see it I will let you know how good/bad it is.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Tonetta posted:

I hope your game messes up and you can only play on the really big dk level

My dad works for nintendo and he gave me the smash disc that only has the treasure hunt map. but it has Ridley in it so it's all good.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Sakurai rules and the more he trolls bad players and Ridley fans, the better.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Sakurai is a good man and he doesn't troll people for sick enjoyment.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Theta Zero posted:

Pretty sure Dedede is Sakurai's favorite Kirby character, he even voiced him. If he was just like "this is my game gently caress balance" Dedede and Pit would probably be godly. I think Meta Knight's Brawl OPness came from not enough 1v1/competitive playtesting.

I'm happy with how he and the team are trying to handle Smash going forward. Unlike Brawl they are acknowledging competitive players, but they are still not going to turn it into Final Destination Fox Only Project M style tweaking just for the sake of that crowd. The fact that they are actually attempting to balance characters in general is good enough, and I think this will turn out as the strongest Smash game in the long run because of that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cuckoo posted:

Pretty sure Dedede is Sakurai's favorite Kirby character, he even voiced him. If he was just like "this is my game gently caress balance" Dedede and Pit would probably be godly. I think Meta Knight's Brawl OPness came from not enough 1v1/competitive playtesting.

I'm happy with how he and the team are trying to handle Smash going forward. Unlike Brawl they are acknowledging competitive players, but they are still not going to turn it into Final Destination Fox Only Project M style tweaking just for the sake of that crowd. The fact that they are actually attempting to balance characters in general is good enough, and I think this will turn out as the strongest Smash game in the long run because of that.

Yeah I do like their philosophy towards the game, even if they need to work to rectify some slip-ups still

and modders will fix anything they miss anyway once the Wii U is cracked :ssh:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Theta Zero posted:

It took until the third game to get more than one of his characters into Smash and the drop-off in strength for Kirby from 64 to Melee is one of the furthest drops in the series.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah I do like their philosophy towards the game, even if they need to work to rectify some slip-ups still

and modders will fix anything they miss anyway once the Wii U is cracked :ssh:

Melee fanboys in 2064 will still be gathered around their retirement home TVs playing a hacked Project M variant of the newest Smash game because change is scary

Ometeotl posted:

It took until the third game to get more than one of his characters into Smash and the drop-off in strength for Kirby from 64 to Melee is one of the furthest drops in the series.

That too, Melee Kirby almost feels the exact opposite of favoritism like he deliberately poo poo all over the character. Which I don't think he did, but it's pretty definitive proof that he didn't give his franchises special treatment.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Cuckoo posted:

Melee fanboys in 2064 will still be gathered around their retirement home TVs playing a hacked Project M variant of the newest Smash game because change is scary
also because it's fun to go fast and aggressive

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Sakurai is a good man and he doesn't troll people for sick enjoyment.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i love to go fast and be aggressive

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

sharrrk posted:

i love to go fast and be aggressive
same. I'm glad we share this together.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
What's wrong with project m style tweaking? (what is project m style tweaking?)

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Don't get me wrong, I love the Melee style of gameplay as much as everyone else, I just don't mind if the main series evolves and would gladly take what we're currently getting with regular patches and overall balanced gameplay over playing Melee forever.

Also I think people who get mad whenever a new Smash installment isn't a direct Melee clone are funny

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Deeply, and truly, all I want in Smash Bros is for all of my favorite characters to be playable, and to respect the deep lore of Nintendo's history.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I like newer Smashes, but from what I've read people aren't necessarily critical just because "not Melee", but rather because 4 is too much like Brawl in their eyes. And to be fair, the Brawl->4 transition is a lot less major than SSB->Melee or Melee->Brawl. As a casual player the only big changes to the mechanics were no tripping and no edgehogging.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The edge mechanic changes were very very good.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Melee is the Dota of Smash

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Maybe it's more like the Starcraft 1 in that there's jankiness but a lot of diehards still prefer it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wouldn't really describe any Smash other than 64 as janky.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
64 is moreso but melee has some too, most of the jankiness lies in a). falco's ugly face in that game, and b). how you slide during wavedashes and it looks weird. I love doing it but it does.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

64 is moreso but melee has some too, most of the jankiness lies in a). falco's ugly face in that game, and b). how you slide during wavedashes and it looks weird. I love doing it but it does.

Ganondorf wins the ugly Melee face award imo

I mean he's supposed to be ugly and it was likely based on his equally ugly OoT appearance but still, eugh. Looks like a WoW Troll on steroids

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

But OoT Ganondorf is the best looking 'dorf???
Honorable mention goes to Hyrule Warriors incarnation for his amazing hair, though.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

But OoT Ganondorf is the best looking 'dorf???
Honorable mention goes to Hyrule Warriors incarnation for his amazing hair, though.

Hyrule Warriors is definitely the best, I would pay DLC dollars for that hairdo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Ganon in brawl and 4 is a hot grandpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Ganon in brawl and 4 is a hot grandpa.

i'll kiss him