Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Jose posted:

Its a WSM equivalent so no offset smoker. The wood comes in chunks rather than full logs so cutting it down any smaller turns it into kindling rather than wood to burn for a while. I couldn't say if its hard or soft wood though I can probably find out

Well if it's chunks like these they work well in the WSM, burn for longer without having to replenish, etc. For sure you need to find out what wood it is though, it's a soft wood like pine or something and you use it in food you will probably die from sap/tar. It is most likely not being delivered to your parents wood burning stove though. Just post what kind of wood it is later and we'll let you know if you can use it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
There are two things id consider when evaling wood in my WSM: safety and flavor. Given that, I prefer pecan and applewood chunks fist size or smaller over any other wood types or sizes.

Assuming the free wood is safe, it may still be worthless if the flavor isn't something you care for.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Jose posted:

My parents have a wood burning fireplace in their house and have wood delivered a couple of times a year. I was wondering if it would be suitable to use in a smoker or whether sticking with wood chips is a better idea? I'm not certain of the wood but I think some is sycamore and poplar

Don't know about sycamore (not a species we have here) but poplar will be useless. It's not toxic but it's too soft and has no taste.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey, are there any Aussie smoker types here? I'm wondering what local trees are unsuitable for smoking. I've got bags of fruitwood from an orchard down near Canberra, but I'm wondering whether there are some more accessible local options when that runs out. Anyone know what those big bags of just "firewood" at Bunnings are, by any chance?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Jose posted:

Its a WSM equivalent so no offset smoker. The wood comes in chunks rather than full logs so cutting it down any smaller turns it into kindling rather than wood to burn for a while. I couldn't say if its hard or soft wood though I can probably find out

If it is used for heating the house it is likely hardwood, but could be mixed variety depending on what is local to your area.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Alright smokers. After several successful pork shoulders I've decided that this weekend I'm going to step up to brisket for the first time. I've done some research already but I wanted to gather some information here as well. I'll be using an 18.5" WSM so right off the bat I know I may run into some challenges with size. Some research has told me I can prop up the middle of the brisket so it'll eventually fit as it shrinks a little due to cooking. Any other suggestions (eg ways to cut the brisket to fit) would be appreciated.

Secondly, I'm probably going to start the night before with a snake method just to try to keep me through the night, do you think this is a realistic plan?

Third, I'm offering to feed anywhere between 15-25 people with this smoke. How big a brisket should I look for? If I'm using both racks should how should I adjust my time, if at all? I'm planning on starting it early and wrapping it to rest for quite a bit.

I appreciate any info. Thanks in advance!

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Jose posted:

My parents have a wood burning fireplace in their house and have wood delivered a couple of times a year. I was wondering if it would be suitable to use in a smoker or whether sticking with wood chips is a better idea? I'm not certain of the wood but I think some is sycamore and poplar

I know this is a little late but I used pine on a whim once and it tasted like a god drat burned down house.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

lifts cats over head posted:

Alright smokers. After several successful pork shoulders I've decided that this weekend I'm going to step up to brisket for the first time. I've done some research already but I wanted to gather some information here as well. I'll be using an 18.5" WSM so right off the bat I know I may run into some challenges with size. Some research has told me I can prop up the middle of the brisket so it'll eventually fit as it shrinks a little due to cooking. Any other suggestions (eg ways to cut the brisket to fit) would be appreciated.

Secondly, I'm probably going to start the night before with a snake method just to try to keep me through the night, do you think this is a realistic plan?

Third, I'm offering to feed anywhere between 15-25 people with this smoke. How big a brisket should I look for? If I'm using both racks should how should I adjust my time, if at all? I'm planning on starting it early and wrapping it to rest for quite a bit.

I appreciate any info. Thanks in advance!

When I do full (packer) brisket on my 18.5 I trim a little off the flat to make it fit the upper grate. It's never more than an inch or two. I also use the minion method with my charcoal and have never had an issue with it lasting the night at stable temps.

For that many people I hope you're doing more than just one brisket. If you end up doing two keep in mind the lower rack is more narrow and you'll have to trim more for that one. Shouldn't affect the cook time dramatically as long as the temp remains stable. That added mass will, however, affect the rate that the temp changes. Expect more time to let it heat up and equilibrate if you make changes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone have/like a Smoke Hollow 30' electric?

Thoughts?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Dark brown sugar cured flats of pork shoulder smoked over apple wood for buckboard bacon :)

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Paper With Lines posted:

I know this is a little late but I used pine on a whim once and it tasted like a god drat burned down house.

You're not supposed to use any type of conifer for any type of cooking, at best it tastes bad and some think it might be poisonous.

Re: wood-chat, I've never found any need to use anything but apple or cherry the two or a mixture of 95 % of the time, with the exceptions being pecan for fish and red oak for tri-tip, (the red oak would probably be real good on any beef come to think of it.)

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

coronaball posted:

Re: wood-chat, I've never found any need to use anything but apple or cherry the two or a mixture of 95 % of the time, with the exceptions being pecan for fish and red oak for tri-tip, (the red oak would probably be real good on any beef come to think of it.)
I am from the Pacific Northwest, so fish for me calls for alder or vine maple

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

toplitzin posted:

Anyone have/like a Smoke Hollow 30' electric?

Thoughts?

I got one for christmas for my first smoker. It worked pretty well and I was happy enough with it, though I am still a total novice. I have now upgraded to a better digital through Craigslist, and unless I was getting a screaming deal on the smoke hollow I wouldn't bother with it. If you want to go with an electric, you might as well get one with a digital heat display/timer, since those are the real benefits of the method. if you want to get the best possible smoke, don't go with electric.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

KettleWL posted:

I got one for christmas for my first smoker. It worked pretty well and I was happy enough with it, though I am still a total novice. I have now upgraded to a better digital through Craigslist, and unless I was getting a screaming deal on the smoke hollow I wouldn't bother with it. If you want to go with an electric, you might as well get one with a digital heat display/timer, since those are the real benefits of the method. if you want to get the best possible smoke, don't go with electric.

A buddy is selling his for $150, menards has it for $169. so :shrug:

Thanks!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

feelz good man posted:

:hfive: I use these way more than orchard trimmings.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

feelz good man posted:

I was gonna say I don't have any easy access to alder, but then I found a bag on amazon for 7 bucks so that is now en route.

My in laws grow pomegranates, so I'm gonna experiment with that on something cheap like a chicken in the coming weeks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I bought an offset smoker/grill and have been grilling a lot but I have a day off coming up and would love to spend the whole day smoking. What's a good entry-level meat?

From smoking with my dad, pork shoulder seems like a perennial favorite; brisket seems like a high challenge level. Anything else I should try?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Brawnfire posted:

I bought an offset smoker/grill and have been grilling a lot but I have a day off coming up and would love to spend the whole day smoking. What's a good entry-level meat?

From smoking with my dad, pork shoulder seems like a perennial favorite; brisket seems like a high challenge level. Anything else I should try?

Ribs! Easy to do, don't have to wait as long. Fairly cheap.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Chicken is great smoked.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I haven't done chicken in a while. I should fix that. Also, a reminder that you don't need to go low for chicken. Get her to 350 or so.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Ribs is probably the easiest truly barbecued meat, if you just try doing something in the smoker that you can't gently caress up because it doesn't actually require a long cook grab any good roasting meat.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Canuckistan posted:

I haven't done chicken in a while. I should fix that. Also, a reminder that you don't need to go low for chicken. Get her to 350 or so.

I've personally have had great success doing chicken thighs at 225, but I don't eat the skin, so I don't care that doing it that way turns to to rubber. My wife isn't a big fan of doing it that way so I usually just do it around 350-400.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

This chicken recipe is a pain in the rear end and creates a lot of dishes, but it's the best I've found for smoking. If you use this, leave the salt out of the rub since it gets enough salt from the brine. http://virtualweberbullet.com/chicken3.html

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I tried that method the first time I made chicken. When I tried to crisp the chicken using their method it instantly blew past crisp and went directly to charred. Next time I'll make sure to spread the remaining coals around and avoid hotspots.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Does anybody have some good suggestions for when the meat comes off but you still have enough fuel for a few more hours? I'm thinking any good veggies/side dishes to throw on to take advantage of extra smoke?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
MOINKS!

http://noexcusesbbq.com/recipes/moink-balls

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Atomic buffalo turds!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

These things are so simple and I've yet to meet someone who didn't like them. Using thinner cut bacon is essential.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think ribs may be it! Thanks, everyone! Gonna try them on Sunday

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

I think ribs may be it! Thanks, everyone! Gonna try them on Sunday

Waste no time! Throw a can of baked/grilling beans under dem ribs.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
My dad just retired and I was thinking of getting him a gift. I know he's expressed how much he likes smoked meat when we've gone to barbecue places but I really don't know where to start. I was thinking of getting him a smoker to use to experiment a bit. Are there any suggestions for good "starter smokers" that aren't super complex so he won't feel overwhelmed?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Weber smokey mountain. Check craigslist.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Weber smokey mountain. Check craigslist.

This. WSMs are great. If the idea of charcoal alarms him, an electric one. I recommend a Smokin-it brand smoker if you are in the states. It is real nifty and the guy who makes them is great so if you have any issues he'll help ya out.

If you are filthy rich, a BGE is pretty much foolproof as I understand it. Size:L or up only, though.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

If you are filthy rich, a BGE is pretty much foolproof as I understand it. Size:L or up only, though.

If you're serious about smoking what you do is get both a large and a tabletop BGE/Kamado. Set up the tabletop cooker as the smoke source and pipe it into the large cooker where the meat is.

Be aware though that if you do this you will have crossed the line and will no longer be in the land of sane normal people.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Hexigrammus posted:

If you're serious about smoking what you do is get both a large and a tabletop BGE/Kamado. Set up the tabletop cooker as the smoke source and pipe it into the large cooker where the meat is.

Be aware though that if you do this you will have crossed the line and will no longer be in the land of sane normal people.

Yeah most sane people don't use cold smokers to make bbq.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Brawnfire posted:

If you plan on making a stew or chili, smoke whatever meat you're using first. Just for a short time (like one or two hours). Just enough to put some flavour on it.

Here are some oxtails I smoked for some upcoming gumbo:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hexigrammus posted:

Yeah I think they serious ones get an XL for the protein and the L for the other protein / sides.

Some also get the smaller one for like individual steaks. I'm not entirely sure of the value of spending the money on the small to only be a smoke source. There are plenty of other sources. I do want a second bge though.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

I do want a second bge though.

I've yet to meet a BGE owner that doesn't want a second one, myself included.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What do you guys think of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20077615-Digital-Electric-Smoker/dp/B00VSFCR1G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thinking of buying it as a present for my dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The window is useless -- otherwise it's supposed to be great until the digital bits break and it stops working. Not saying it'll definitely happen anytime soon.