Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Seriously, despite my name I'm not a nut!

I was just saying that it's pretty amazing that the US governments email system is very safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Shbobdb posted:

Well, as long as we are using antiquated racial slurs instead of swear words . . .

You have a source for the origin? I'm legitimately interested.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ErIog posted:

You have a source for the origin? I'm legitimately interested.

It's a slur for black folks

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Literally The Worst posted:

It's a slur for black folks

Again, you have a source for that? I would like to read about it.

To be clear, I know the word "shine" used as a noun is an antiquated racial slur for black people. I haven't been able to find anything about "shine that noise" where "shine" is being used as a verb. I would like to read about the origins of the phrase "shine that noise" since I don't see a direct connection to the racial slur.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 12, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Shine
(US) a black person (from shoeshiner).[223]

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
So there's this thread going in a Facebook group I'm part of, and some guy is seriously arguing that the earth is flat. I and everyone else thought it was an elaborate troll, but turns out it's not, and it's all tied into the overlords' (+ NASA + [actual black magic sorcerer] Newton + Einstein) lying to the general populance. Absolutely baffling

quote:

can you show me the evidence please? i been looking for 6 months. google"image of earth from space".which one of those is the real picture of earth? the one we get in our textbooks is a cgi composition, maybe you can find an authentic one. you are seeing 2 d images, not 3d globes. The stars are not round globes either. Ships do not sink below the horizon, they disappear from our line of vision , like this...

The group is full of pretty active left-wing people, and conspiracy threads pop up all the loving time (just illustrating something DuckMonster said about conspiracy theories loving the left over way, way back in this thread), but this one takes the piss

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 12, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

Shine
(US) a black person (from shoeshiner).[223]

Okay, now tell me what that has to do with the phrase "shine that noise" where "shine" is being used as a verb.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Where did you even start using "shine that noise" from anyway?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Polish that noise? What?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The slight sound of exertion when you lift a couch above your head.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Lizard Combatant posted:

Polish that noise? What?

Lots of English idioms rely on archaic usages of words or are cultural references to things we no longer remember. You might as well say, "Take something with a grain of salt?" What?

If someone can find me any history or etymology of the phrase "shine that noise" then I'll be happy to read it, and I'll be happy to stop using it if it does in fact have a racist origin. I always took the "shine" part as a verb that is similar in meaning to the current dictionary definition of "to shine." since it's being used as a verb in the phrase and not a noun.

I looked around on Google for any explanation of "shine that noise" at all, but I haven't been able to find it. So again, I would be really interested in reading it if someone can produce it.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 12, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah but where did you get the expression in the first place?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah but where did you get the expression in the first place?

I have no idea. I thought it was a common idiom that's an old-timey way of saying "screw that."

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I was just giving you poo poo, no need to go full sperg here.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ErIog posted:

I have no idea. I thought it was a common idiom that's an old-timey way of saying "screw that."

people say 'gently caress that noise' but shine that noise, you probably picked that up from some pussy who doesn't like to swear

Carsius
May 7, 2013

RobertKerans posted:

So there's this thread going in a Facebook group I'm part of, and some guy is seriously arguing that the earth is flat. I and everyone else thought it was an elaborate troll, but turns out it's not, and it's all tied into the overlords' (+ NASA + [actual black magic sorcerer] Newton + Einstein) lying to the general populance. Absolutely baffling

The flat earth society is great fun to read about - a textbook example of Poe's Law in action if I've ever seen one.

Though aside from a couple message boards and token social media accounts, there's very little information about them.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Carsius posted:

The flat earth society is great fun to read about - a textbook example of Poe's Law in action if I've ever seen one.

Though aside from a couple message boards and token social media accounts, there's very little information about them.

I'm pretty sure most of the people who post on the FES message boards aren't for real.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

people say 'gently caress that noise' but shine that noise, you probably picked that up from some pussy who doesn't like to swear

Hambone that noise.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Carsius posted:

Yeah, I assumed the guy posting had just hoovered up a load of stuff from the FES and used it to troll, but he seems to have taken it all very seriously. I thought the guy in the group who SPOKE MAINLY IN CAPITALS about CHEMTRAILS and THE WIGNER EFFECT was bad, or his mate who goes on at very great length about fiat currency and the evil people stealing all our precious gold, or the one who chats in weird pidgin English about how swastikas are actually a good and holy things that were just coopted by the Nazis (and has extremely prominent tattoos of swastikas all over himself), but honestly flat earth guy takes the biscuit

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 12, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
TBF the swastika thing is true.

but it's still a pretty bad idea to get them tattooed on your body

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:psyboom:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Looks like somebody read about Kaposi's sarcoma just before shutting down their brain

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This is why I support mandatory vaccination, because of dipshits like this person who would actively harm the rest of the populace through their own idiocy

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
In regards to the flat earth, its never been mainstream belief, despite what we believe about earlier cultures. In the Victorian era there was a desire to paint earlier people as dumb and uncultured, so this myth grew. Colombus proving the earth was round appeared in this era as well, along with all the other myths associated with him because I guess the 19th century American population needed to create a new hero?

Anyways, the Flat Earthers also have roots in biblical literalism, because hey why not? But they were never a big group, or even influencal. The FES is only about 70 years old, and is kinda sad. Small groups of people putting out nonsensical papers trying to prove the earth was flat, even after we have photos of earth come back from space.

Its become kinda popular among the CT set, seeing the UN flag as a tact admission by the Jew Lizard Illuminati that the world is flat, and Antarctica is actually surrounding us, to keep us in! Oh yea, every single shot of the world being round, shadows on the moon and all that good stuff, all fakes.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

RUMINT: 100% accurate or your butt cancer is free

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I don't know what it is that makes it true, how it works, or why I believe this but trust me, smoking doesn't kill.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

In regards to the flat earth, its never been mainstream belief, despite what we believe about earlier cultures. In the Victorian era there was a desire to paint earlier people as dumb and uncultured, so this myth grew. Colombus proving the earth was round appeared in this era as well, along with all the other myths associated with him because I guess the 19th century American population needed to create a new hero?

Anyways, the Flat Earthers also have roots in biblical literalism, because hey why not? But they were never a big group, or even influencal. The FES is only about 70 years old, and is kinda sad. Small groups of people putting out nonsensical papers trying to prove the earth was flat, even after we have photos of earth come back from space.

Its become kinda popular among the CT set, seeing the UN flag as a tact admission by the Jew Lizard Illuminati that the world is flat, and Antarctica is actually surrounding us, to keep us in! Oh yea, every single shot of the world being round, shadows on the moon and all that good stuff, all fakes.

To be fair, Flat Earth was the dominant paradigm in China until the 17th century AD, and some of the pre-Socratic Greek philosophers in the 5th century BC also believed the world was flat. It wasn't mainstream among educated people in medieval Europe, but it's not like no one ever believed in it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
enough people believed in it that you didn't need to found a Most Illustrial Society of Flatearthianism to avoid getting laughed out of the room everywhere you go :v:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

site posted:

I don't know what it is that makes it true, how it works, or why I believe this but trust me, smoking doesn't kill.

I've got a feeling in my gut.

Well, not my gut, more like my lungs. But it's tell me that smoking is great!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

TBF the swastika thing is true.

but it's still a pretty bad idea to get them tattooed on your body

Only Manwoman can get away with it.

http://www.vice.com/read/manwoman-is-taking-back-the-swastika

e: could :smith:

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 13, 2015

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

That's guy seems very, very much like the guy I was talking about, same level of acid-trip logic adding deep spiritual and health giving significance to swastikas (I get that swastikas used to have somewhat nicer connotations, but...). Man woman seems a bit more eloquent than my guy though, every single thing he writes looks like this (which seems fairly poetic out of context, but when there's like 20 replies in a thread about the labour party leadership contest):

quote:

"!!! MORNiNG !!!"
murky wake this morning
hopes 4 a clearer sky. ..s
" WATCH THAT CHEST "

indirectness. ..remember
is a directness

what is with in is also your out
your darkness has vision there 4 SiGHT
of LiGHT
~8} {8~

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 13, 2015

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Because it is widely believed and stated that a thing is bad, it must in fact be good. Or vice versa.

In a generic form, that seems like the basic conspiratorial formulation. Like an inverse argument from authority. Or rather, the traditional semantics of authority are inverted, hence the space for cultish conspiracy clubs whose fringe status constitutes authority, for the true believers.

It really weirds me the gently caress out, Christ. How do you pierce the veil from without, once that logic is entrenched?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Orbis Tertius posted:

It really weirds me the gently caress out, Christ. How do you pierce the veil from without, once that logic is entrenched?

You don't. There's no real way to reason them out of that position. Unless they become willing to accept that maybe they're the ones that are wrong of their own volition, they'll probably stick to those beliefs forever.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Illuminti posted:

The Bilderburg Group meeting starts tomorrow, they've gone with a classic mix of high tech, military and old school Zionist for the older conspiracist this year.

You've got Eric Schmidt and the head of Google DeepMind atttending, a little hat tip to those who like a little mark of the devil/global microchiping/RFID/AI in their theory soup.

General Petraeous for your more straight forward military dictatorship types. I think he's going to be a big hit with Jade Helm going on at the moment. Maybe a thoery that he's reporting on how well the take over of Texas is going.

And of course Kissinger will be there, representing the Zionist Paedophile Reptoids of the Lower 4th Dimension for your classic NWO anti-semites. You can't forget who got you here.

It's being held high in the Austrian Alps for that extra hint of Nazi and esoteric flavour.

Should be a good one

Wikileaks managed to get hold of a whole stash of meeting minutes of the Bildberg group from a bunch of years. Its really mundane stuff. You'd think the lizardlords would have more interesting things to talk about then tax and international trade. Wheres the skullcave and the doomsday machine. I mean at least Bohemian Grove have a bit of flair to their weirdness

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Yeah it's like all these groups of rich people do is talk about how to get more rich. There's got to be something more sinister going on!

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah it's like all these groups of rich people do is talk about how to get more rich. There's got to be something more sinister going on!

In general, it's not even that; it's as if a bunch of administrators/managers got together to discuss how some economic ideas might apply to the bit of administration/management they deal with.
This is what i don't get, everyone else in professional positions can go to some conference where they listen to some people who have stupid ideas, and some people who have good ideas, and everyone at the conference mingles and chats about it and it's not totally a waste of time because the people involved all work in basically the same job and it's really helpful to understand how other people are dealing with poo poo. Like if you're minister for economics it's pretty loving good that you chat to other ministers of economics and find out what poo poo they're doing and either laugh at them privately for being fuckwits, or take on board stuff they're dealing with

Edit: they may well all be lizard-worshipping cunts but that's irrelevant imo

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 13, 2015

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Sir Tonk posted:

As if that wasn't the peak of human evil itself.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So was having some drinks last night with my housemates and found out that not only am I living with someone who thinks that 9/11 is fishey I have been dating one!

My girlfriend makes no secret of her dislike for the US on multiple occasions, not the people the state itself, and holds to some very far left opinions that I am perfectly okay with. She also disagrees with the more common delusions about it being "jews did it" or something like that, but seems convinced that the Fed was somehow involved. Apparently "Zeitgeist" was a big influence. Both people who proffessed a belief in this sort of thing are from the global south so that may explain it but well just had to have a little chat about it.

I gave facts and figures but don't want to brow beat someone I care about into believing what I do "just because", but the truth is important. I dunno, any advice guys?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I think you know what the advice is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I used to date a girl who holds some pretty insane woo beliefs (such as the fact that calcification of my pineal gland was 'corroding my third eye' and that I should eat more algae to get rid of it), and since she wasn't belligerent or stubborn about it, it worked out fine.

Still, nearly everyone else I've known who has these beliefs were flat-out insane and pestered me no end about their anti-intellectual psychoses, so you may end up regretting the relationship I guess.

• Locked thread