Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Drastic Actions posted:

That was the issue. The QA tester had zero clue what that was.

For slightly more background: When you submit a new component to the Xamarin component store and finish, this is the view you get

For updating components though, the process was basically a hacked version of the edit component screen, with some different session variables. It was a lovely experience and most users had to have their hand held to actually update their stuff. That's not a good process, so I wrote a new component update page, and an actual new landing when you finish:

I was just riffing on the :-) thing. After this bug was filed, I went to my boss and a few others to see what they thought the ascii was. Some knew it was a high five, but others were stumped. So instead of fighting, I just took it out :(. Not saying it won't reappear though somewhere :v:.

I thought there could be bugs written for what I wrote. Just not for this.

i thought it was a crude attempt at a cat....

these are the ones that tend to confuse people i know o/ \o \o/ o7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

So they're leaving one creeping horror for another.

ctz
Feb 6, 2003
Here's a security patch being applied to openssl in 2011.

pre:
 	if (!BN_GF2m_mod(u, a, p)) goto err;
 	if (BN_is_zero(u)) goto err;

if (!BN_copy(v, p)) goto err;
 #if 0
 	if (!BN_one(b)) goto err;

while (1)
 		{
 		while (!BN_is_odd(u))
 			{
+			if (BN_is_zero(u)) goto err;
 			if (!BN_rshift1(u, u)) goto err;
 			if (BN_is_odd(b))
 				{
 				if (!BN_GF2m_add(b, b, p)) goto err;
 				}
 			if (!BN_rshift1(b, b)) goto err;
 			}

if (BN_abs_is_word(u, 1)) break;

if (BN_num_bits(u) < BN_num_bits(v))
 			{
 			tmp = u; u = v; v = tmp;
 			tmp = b; b = c; c = tmp;
 			}

if (!BN_GF2m_add(u, u, v)) goto err;
 		if (!BN_GF2m_add(b, b, c)) goto err;
 		}
 #else
 	{
 	int i,	ubits = BN_num_bits(u),
:master:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ctz posted:

Here's a security patch being applied to openssl in 2011.

pre:
 	if (!BN_GF2m_mod(u, a, p)) goto err;
 	if (BN_is_zero(u)) goto err;

if (!BN_copy(v, p)) goto err;
 #if 0
 	if (!BN_one(b)) goto err;

while (1)
 		{
 		while (!BN_is_odd(u))
 			{
+			if (BN_is_zero(u)) goto err;
 			if (!BN_rshift1(u, u)) goto err;
 			if (BN_is_odd(b))
 				{
 				if (!BN_GF2m_add(b, b, p)) goto err;
 				}
 			if (!BN_rshift1(b, b)) goto err;
 			}

if (BN_abs_is_word(u, 1)) break;

if (BN_num_bits(u) < BN_num_bits(v))
 			{
 			tmp = u; u = v; v = tmp;
 			tmp = b; b = c; c = tmp;
 			}

if (!BN_GF2m_add(u, u, v)) goto err;
 		if (!BN_GF2m_add(b, b, c)) goto err;
 		}
 #else
 	{
 	int i,	ubits = BN_num_bits(u),
:master:

The openssl codebase is loving awful.

I'm the #if 0 block.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

apseudonym posted:

The openssl codebase is loving awful.

I'm the #if 0 block.

Isn't that just a convoluted way to comment out a block of code?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Amberskin posted:

Isn't that just a convoluted way to comment out a block of code?

Not convoluted, its the only way to block comment out a huge chunk of code that may include block comments(short of adding // to every line).

Now, should that be in actual released code? no, #if 0 probably shouldn't. Also lol at the idea of openssl having comments anyways.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

apseudonym posted:

Not convoluted, its the only way to block comment out a huge chunk of code that may include block comments(short of adding // to every line).

Now, should that be in actual released code? no, #if 0 probably shouldn't. Also lol at the idea of openssl having comments anyways.

if statements are compile time anyways, so not a huge problem.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

if statements are compile time anyways, so not a huge problem.

The problem with #if 0 in your code is unrelated to performance or binary size.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

apseudonym posted:

The problem with #if 0 in your code is unrelated to performance or binary size.

Still not seeing a huge problem. Most IDE's will grey out the area and it's pretty clear it's a comment block. :shrug:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

Still not seeing a huge problem. Most IDE's will grey out the area and it's pretty clear it's a comment block. :shrug:

If your code base has blocks of commented out code that would be a horror.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, commented out code blocks shouldn't make it into the repository. If you have something from an old version you want to preserve, use your version control system.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh well yeah, I was talking about development.

Wait, that's not just a one off thing for the openssl code? It's literally sitting in production like that? :psyduck:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ratbert90 posted:

Wait, that's not just a one off thing for the openssl code? It's literally sitting in production like that? :psyduck:

Well, it's being diffed right there, so I assume so.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah, commented out code blocks shouldn't make it into the repository. If you have something from an old version you want to preserve, use your version control system.

In the past, our server code couldn't be placed into version control because MUMPS code is stored inside the MUMPS database. Instead, we commented out code for X number of versions and then deleted it if we didn't end up needing it.

Now we have a jerry-rigged thing that exports code from the database and puts it in SVN when we mark the code as being done, but reverting involves having to do a messy import of whatever version of the code you need back and then recompiling everything that references.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

The openssl code base is full of #if 0's, #ifdefs that wouldn't build if anyone ever set that flag, and just awful to read code.

Basically what I'm saying is gently caress openssl, I just wish all the other SSL libraries weren't worse :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Some days it feels like we've built this terrible house of cards with OpenSSL and all the other foundational internet technologies and it's going to collapse.

Am I just crazy?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Thermopyle posted:

Some days it feels like we've built this terrible house of cards with OpenSSL and all the other foundational internet technologies and it's going to collapse.

Am I just crazy?

Yes, OpenSSL is going to collapse. Any day now somebody is going to discover some security vulnerability that could theoretically leak the entire memory contents of a server including private keys. This vulnerability might even have been in the wild for years and it'd be impossible to know who, if anybody, has been exploiting it. My heart really bleeds for those people potentially affected by it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Am I just crazy?

I mean Heartbleed kind of shows you aren't

e: oh I guess I had this tab open for a while first welp

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

No Safe Word posted:

I mean Heartbleed kind of shows you aren't

gonadic io posted:

Yes, OpenSSL is going to collapse. Any day now somebody is going to discover some security vulnerability that could theoretically leak the entire memory contents of a server including private keys. This vulnerability might even have been in the wild for years and it'd be impossible to know who, if anybody, has been exploiting it. My heart really bleeds for those people potentially affected by it.

Yeah, but...nothing really collapsed did it? People freaked out and addressed the issue and we're out here posting poo poo on the internet still. It felt like the internet barely skipped a beat.

I guess I am crazy, because I suppose the people-freaking-out-and-then-fixing-the-problem will always happen...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, but...nothing really collapsed did it? People freaked out and addressed the issue and we're out here posting poo poo on the internet still. It felt like the internet barely skipped a beat.

I guess I am crazy, because I suppose the people-freaking-out-and-then-fixing-the-problem will always happen...

And then this happened and all of the crawling horrors started getting pulled to the surface.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
In 1995 or so, everyone freaked out about this crazy problem where a bunch of idiots decided to save space by storing the year in two digits instead of four, and the world was going to end in 2000.

2000 rolled around and nothing happened. Because people realized there was a problem and worked hard to fix it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

fleshweasel posted:

This seems to be conventional wisdom, but does it hold up? Of course anything that's ever been committed is in the version control system, but someone looking at a file isn't going to be aware if there is some useful code that was excised from the file and is sitting in the version control system. If you were around when the old version was in place and you know that it's there then great, but people leave and new people come in and the newer people won't know that something else was once there, aside from a general awareness that the code of course has a version history.

Commented-out code is bad but I don't think "it's in the version history" is adequate as reasoning for why not to do it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dessert Rose posted:

In 1995 or so, everyone freaked out about this crazy problem where a bunch of idiots decided to save space by storing the year in two digits instead of four, and the world was going to end in 2000.

2000 rolled around and nothing happened. Because people realized there was a problem and worked hard to fix it.

Never fear, 2038 is just around the corner, we can still gently caress it up!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Hammerite posted:

This seems to be conventional wisdom, but does it hold up? Of course anything that's ever been committed is in the version control system, but someone looking at a file isn't going to be aware if there is some useful code that was excised from the file and is sitting in the version control system. If you were around when the old version was in place and you know that it's there then great, but people leave and new people come in and the newer people won't know that something else was once there, aside from a general awareness that the code of course has a version history.

Commented-out code is bad but I don't think "it's in the version history" is adequate as reasoning for why not to do it.

I think all of this can be flipped on its head. Code isn't useful unless it's in use. Code that isn't in use can't be maintained, doesn't get maintained, undergoes attrition and becomes progressively less useful. Very quickly it becomes a misleading signpost, worse than useless. New people come in and have no idea why the code has been commented out, what purpose it served, or under what circumstances it would ever be commented back in again. It never gets resurrected and just takes up space.

If there's important code which coders need to see, but which shouldn't actually be in the codebase, then the correct location for that code is in documentation.

qntm fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 11, 2015

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

xzzy posted:

Wasn't there an issue in Oracle where large databases started to have data loss because of an integer overflow? I remember reading something about it a long time ago but can't find anything.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

necrotic posted:

Wasn't there an issue in Oracle where large databases started to have data loss because of an integer overflow? I remember reading something about it a long time ago but can't find anything.

There were some integer overflow issues with quicksort (and others) a few years ago: http://googleresearch.blogspot.com/2006/06/extra-extra-read-all-about-it-nearly.html

http://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=5045582

tyrelhill fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 12, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Dessert Rose posted:

What made me laugh was "at midnight dec 31st 1999 any plane in the air will suddenly turn off , and baby incubators and heart lung machines will stop working because they will think its 1900 and they didnt exist then so cannot continue to work"

ok so the reports and such will have an incorrect date, but why would that stop a heater keeping a constant temperature or stop fuel flowing into the plane engines?

Some of the claims were just stupid.. i mean what power station knows what to do just because it is a certain date.. time maybe, but date? WTF!!!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

TheresaJayne posted:

What made me laugh was "at midnight dec 31st 1999 any plane in the air will suddenly turn off , and baby incubators and heart lung machines will stop working because they will think its 1900 and they didnt exist then so cannot continue to work"

ok so the reports and such will have an incorrect date, but why would that stop a heater keeping a constant temperature or stop fuel flowing into the plane engines?

Some of the claims were just stupid.. i mean what power station knows what to do just because it is a certain date.. time maybe, but date? WTF!!!

Taking part in this thread, you're willing to make the bet that various systems weren't doing absolutely ridiculous things with date/time? Every broken thing in this thread could be summed up as, "But why would...???"

The tragedy of Y2K is that it was handled too well, and so people erroneously assumed it hadn't ever been a real problem.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

TheresaJayne posted:

Many safety-critical systems probably have failsafes that make them shut down if some crazy consistency is noticed, like time going backwards.

That said, the year 2000 problem was most prevalent in Cobol code, where numeric fields could (and often was) be defined with precision given as the number of decimal digits. Since I don't think Cobol ever had penetration outside of banks, that is where most of the issues would have appeared, and it was a real issue. However, few systems look at just the current time - especially in banking software, it is probably not uncommon to generate dates a few years into the future, which means that the year 2000-bugs were actually encountered and fixed in the years running up to the end of the millennium, not on New Years itself.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Given that banks have to deal with mortgages and other long-term loans and investments, I'd imagine the Y2K thing was discovered and fixed by the mid 80s at the latest.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

xzzy posted:

Or our laziness could be what saves us from Skynet

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

qntm posted:

I think all of this can be flipped on its head. Code isn't useful unless it's in use. Code that isn't in use can't be maintained, doesn't get maintained, undergoes attrition and becomes progressively less useful. Very quickly it becomes a misleading signpost, worse than useless. New people come in and have no idea why the code has been commented out, what purpose it served, or under what circumstances it would ever be commented back in again. It never gets resurrected and just takes up space.

If there's important code which coders need to see, but which shouldn't actually be in the codebase, then the correct location for that code is in documentation.

I think this is the key point here. I have left commented code in a couple of times, but it was something like this:

code:
/* 
We used to do this with [some software / hardware]. We've since switched over to [other software / hardware]
because of [reasons], but in case we need to return to the older system, here's how it worked:

{code}

/*

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Sweevo posted:

Given that banks have to deal with mortgages and other long-term loans and investments, I'd imagine the Y2K thing was discovered and fixed by the mid 80s at the latest.

Actually, no. The real effort begun about 1995, and its peak was about 1998-1999. The european banks had to handle the conversion to the Euro aproximately at the same time, so things became a little bit hectic.

The applications which had to manage future dates were Y2K-ready from their inception. The main problem was in the applications which look at the past (checking accounts, savings accounts and so on), and in the file interfaces between different applications.

As someone posted before, there was no real impact on 01/01/2000 because a lot of people put a lot of effort to fix (or patch) it. Actually, the problem was more patched than fixed: the fields that contained dates were left as they were (two digit years), and the interpretation of those dates was changed, so anything less than '50' is assumed to be 20XX, and anything over '50' is assumed to be 19XX. The break point (50) can be changed by configuration (it is a moving window, actually).

As the old applications are re-engineered, downsized and/or substituted by new ones, the problem is "fixed" simply using a proper Date/Datetime datatype instead of the old DECIMAL FIXED or PIC fields.

(Former banking programmer here).

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

I think this is the key point here. I have left commented code in a couple of times, but it was something like this:

code:
/* 
We used to do this with [some software / hardware]. We've since switched over to [other software / hardware]
because of [reasons], but in case we need to return to the older system, here's how it worked:

{code}

/*

I really hate to see commended code in production. But I agree it can have it's uses in certain situations.Specifically when there might be a technical or compatibility issue with something so we had to deviate from best practices or the most efficient methods. What I don't want is for someone to come back later to refactor something they think could be improved on, only to run into the same issue. You can try to stick a couple of lines of comments in there or put it in the documentation, but since you're communicating with other developers it doesn't hurt to just show them with a block of commended code.

So while commended blocks of code is poo poo and we should try to remove them when we can, having a couple here and there for specific situations isn't always a bad thing.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

NihilCredo posted:

code:
/* 

{code}

/*

This is basically the same as what openssl does. There are good intentions behind that comment, but inevitably six years later, it no longer has any meaning or relevance, and wouldn't work anymore even in the original circumstances. It may even confuse readers or obscure how things are supposed to work.

You should write the comment, but unless there's a way to make sure the code is still compiled / tested regularly, just delete it instead of leaving it to rot.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

This is basically the same as what openssl does. There are good intentions behind that comment, but inevitably six years later, it no longer has any meaning or relevance, and wouldn't work anymore even in the original circumstances. It may even confuse readers or obscure how things are supposed to work.

You should write the comment, but unless there's a way to make sure the code is still compiled / tested regularly, just delete it instead of leaving it to rot.

Disagree, that's documentation not code. It should be with the technical design documents ending with "See commit XXXXX for how the code was when it was removed." Block comments explaining the long long ago don't belong in the current code base.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hughlander posted:

Disagree, that's documentation not code. It should be with the technical design documents ending with "See commit XXXXX for how the code was when it was removed." Block comments explaining the long long ago don't belong in the current code base.

I disagree about sticking it in the documentation, for much the same reason that I wouldn't just leave it to VC history: because I'm assuming that the future developer will not intentionally go looking for it, so it's safest to leave a reference where he will definitely have to look on his way to work.

But I think you are entirely right that I should have written "See commit XXXXX" instead of copying the code block outright. That would have ensured the old code would be seen in context (though if a dude were to uncomment it and find out it doesn't compile anymore, I hope that then he would know to go search through the documentation / version control).

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Hughlander posted:

I can get behind this. I'm just used to documentation being "add it to the wiki", and nobody reads this wiki ever, and it is filled with duplicated information and is pretty fuckin useless overall, so everyone continues to not use it.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

NihilCredo posted:

But I think you are entirely right that I should have written "See commit XXXXX" instead of copying the code block outright. That would have ensured the old code would be seen in context (though if a dude were to uncomment it and find out it doesn't compile anymore, I hope that then he would know to go search through the documentation / version control).

I think you should go a step further and remove the commented code entirely, but leave a note saying "This was changed from XXX on 06/06/06, see commit YYY for reference". All commented code is gone, but there's a trail for the developer to follow in case they need it. A datestamp lets them know how relevant it is.

Bognar fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

Agreed, that's the perfect case for a comment saying "this exists in this form because of reasons X, Y, Z."

In the .NET world, Visual Studio even shows you commit history hovering right above the class/method definition so you can pull up the previous implementation in a few clicks for comparison.