Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I see Japanese players in shirts which are what I'm assuming Splatfest shirts. But they're gray with a tower design on them. I thought they'd at least say rice and bread. Or do they get the gray shirts now and the rice/bread shirts later? Or can I not see the rice/bread shirts because I'm American?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Bean posted:

I see Japanese players in shirts which are what I'm assuming Splatfest shirts. But they're gray with a tower design on them. I thought they'd at least say rice and bread. Or do they get the gray shirts now and the rice/bread shirts later? Or can I not see the rice/bread shirts because I'm American?

It's gray in the ui, but it does show the chosen shirt in the actual game. But only if you're in that region, so you will see gray shirts, where I see the rice/bread ones.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
Speaking of spawn points, when are people going to figure out that you can jump to your spawn point and therefore putting a beacon there is a waste? C'MON

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

oopsie rock posted:

Speaking of spawn points, when are people going to figure out that you can jump to your spawn point and therefore putting a beacon there is a waste? C'MON

I can't believe I still see this in rooms full of level 20, B+ ranked people

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

dogsicle posted:

I use Aerospray for Turf Wars, but it feels lacking in Ranked. Stuff like the Gal guns or chargers have given me better results there, though they aren't as easy to claim the zone with.

e: Thought 30k was the ceiling on Spyke's gear, but nope he wants 50k today. :(

I think he tries to scam you for more the higher your level is. He tried to sell me Crazy Arrows for 100k, and they weren't even the gear I wanted.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

oopsie rock posted:

So that's what those things are for. I've never used them and I assumed they were like waypoint sensors for detecting enemy locations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Thanks auto-translate

To be fair, a rush of Seekers is pretty much a bum rush.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ConanThe3rd posted:

To be fair, a rush of Seekers is pretty much a bum rush.

It's suction bombs

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Reiley posted:

A lot of Dynamo Rollers I fight lately have been using a trick. If you hide in squid, pull the trigger and then jump, instead of jumping and then triggering, it saves you a couple frames being exposed before your nightmare monster splash comes out. Anyways, that's for whoever here might be a dynamo.

Dynamo Rollers have ridiculous range but they're so goddamn slow, I can't get the hang of them and I don't know how anyone does.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

It's suction bombs

Less of a complete pain in the rear end but still no less of a pain.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I kind of like how no one ever uses my beacons while I use the Krak-on roller. I can set it up in a safe spot to flank from at the start of the match so if I die I can always jump back there and immediately replace it for next time.

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 12, 2015

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Christo posted:

I kind of like how no one ever uses my beacons while I use the Krak-on roller. I can set it up in a safe spot to flank from at the start of the match so if I die I can always jump back there and immediately replace it for next time.

I actually usually don't use a beacon if there's only one because I want the roller to be able to jump in and replace it. Unfortunately most people don't realize you can place more than one, it seems.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Count Uvula posted:

I actually usually don't use a beacon if there's only one because I want the roller to be able to jump in and replace it. Unfortunately most people don't realize you can place more than one, it seems.

I'm one of those people apparently. I figured it was like the sprinkler and placing a second would remove the first.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Is there a good way to hook up a keyboard/mouse to the wii u? I think the motion controls are really good, but well you know.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Barnyard Protein posted:

Is there a good way to hook up a keyboard/mouse to the wii u? I think the motion controls are really good, but well you know.

It's impossible. This game would be too epic for words if you could use keyboard+ mouse

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

oopsie rock posted:

Anyone else finding themselves super jumping less after some time? Lot of the time I find myself going you know without stealth jump I might as well take 5 extra sec and patch up that spot there on my way back to the main action.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

LethalGeek posted:

Anyone else finding themselves super jumping less after some time? Lot of the time I find myself going you know without stealth jump I might as well take 5 extra sec and patch up that spot there on my way back to the main action.

Jumping is useful for when one of your teammates has sneaked past the enemy front and there's an opportunity to gently caress up their side of the map unopposed or when that's happening to you and you need to defend but otherwise I agree. I see even high level players jump right to the middle of a firefight and get immediately splatted way too much.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Christo posted:

I'm one of those people apparently. I figured it was like the sprinkler and placing a second would remove the first.

I thought this too, and only learned of my mistake when I read patch notes saying they'd reduced it from four to three :suicide:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I definitely have started to shy away from jumping to the front lines. Stealth jump solves most of the problems with jumping, but pinning your location to where one of your teammates just was is a pretty large risk for the usually-minute time advantage conferred.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Stealth Jump or no, I always pick someone who looks to be "on the way" just as a timesaver. Failing that, if by some miracle they remember they have them (because seriously, the Turf War Krak-On pubs almost never remember them or just place them on spawn), I'll jump to a friendly Krak-On's Beacon. You jump to the front line directly, especially without Stealth Jump, there's a 90% chance you're getting instantly splatted. If there's action close enough to base, I'm just swimming there.

Also, never jump to someone who is balls deep in enemy territory. It never ends well.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

After three games where I was the only person on my team who scored any splats, I went from B- to C+. I noticed instead of going from B- 10 to C+ 90 I went from B- 10 to C+ 70. Victories are now giving me only 12 points. Anyone know what's up with that?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

TTBF posted:

After three games where I was the only person on my team who scored any splats, I went from B- to C+. I noticed instead of going from B- 10 to C+ 90 I went from B- 10 to C+ 70. Victories are now giving me only 12 points. Anyone know what's up with that?

The higher up in the ranks you get, you gain less from wins and lose more from losing.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

TTBF posted:

They always set you at 70 when you demote to force you to earn/rng the letter grade again. Same with starting at 30 when you promote.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Christo posted:

The higher up in the ranks you get, you gain less from wins and lose more from losing.

I am discontent with this news.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

I am discontent with this news.

Wait till you get multiple teams of thrice-inbred drooling imbeciles who cost you your hard-earned rank upgrade and drag you down to 30 points in the previous rank. Then you'll be discontent :shepicide:.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm with Lemming one good player can turn around a lovely ranked match pretty hard. I was totally in the zone last night and the biggest thing I was doing was simply staying alive. Being a pest and being a jump point for respawning players really cuts down on how much uptime the other team gets in splat zones. Was simply watching choke points and throwing bombs at sniper positions goes a long way even if you are only a 5s speed bump vs 3 players who end up running you over.

Nothing slows people down more than knowing there's someone hiding in the ink just waiting for you :ninja:

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 12, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

LethalGeek posted:

I'm with Lemming one good player can turn around a lovely ranked match pretty hard. I was totally in the zone last night and the biggest thing I was doing was simply staying alive. Being a pest and being a jump point for respawning players really cuts down on how much uptime the other team gets in splat zones. Was simply watching choke points and throwing bombs at sniper positions goes a long way even if you are only a 5s speed bump vs 3 players who end up running you over.

Nothing slows people down more than knowing there's someone hiding in the ink just waiting for you :ninja:

Yeah, even otherwise useless snipers guarding their team's zone on Port Mackerel have a nice use as a safe forward staging post.

Of course I wonder if it's actually time-effective to do that jump or to just stick with swimming up if the coast is clear

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Novasol posted:

Finally hit level 20, with the last match being a hilariously one-sided blowout of 85% ink coverage. I spawn camped them on Warehouse for half the match.

In the last five seconds, they finally managed to kill me. One of the Japanese players then began teabagging me by going kid/squid over my splat point :allears:

BattleMaster posted:

It's called seabagging

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah, even otherwise useless snipers guarding their team's zone on Port Mackerel have a nice use as a safe forward staging post.

Of course I wonder if it's actually time-effective to do that jump or to just stick with swimming up if the coast is clear

I've seen people swim up at the same time I'm jumping. Jumping's faster if you're going to that little sniper perche or farther.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

raditts posted:

So that's what those things are for. I've never used them and I assumed they were like waypoint sensors for detecting enemy locations.

It's super frustrating when I'm laying them in the backfield but watching teammates slowboat it after every spawn. Can't they see me continually rocketing around the map.? :(

Christo posted:

You can drop several. Drop one, take two seconds to refill, drop another. Drop one every time you use one to replace it immediately. Spawn points win matches.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 12, 2015

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I picked up the bad habit of jumping while I shoot for some reason and then I realized if I don't jump and just aim my gun like a normal person the game is more likely to register my direct hits rather than pretend they were splash damage. My team was losing pretty bad on Skate Park when this happened, then it clicked and we won the game. I went 22-6, and its my current best score.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone with the jump beacons (whoa EVE flash back) please place them down I love using them :glomp:

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

LethalGeek posted:

Anyone with the jump beacons (whoa EVE flash back) please place them down I love using them :glomp:

You're one of the few. I've started using them less and less except for myself because no one seems to loving use them. I don't care if it breaks when you jump there, I put them there to use! I tend to put them in "safe" locations back in our territory so they're not only less likely to be destroyed, but they're also much safer to use. I'll sometimes try to sneak one into enemy territory, but of course they can see them..

By the way, it's really dumb that you can see enemy beacons.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Basically no one tries to break them anyways so I don't think it matters that much

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Wish you could do custom gear load outs and swap things out between matches.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

There are some clutch locations in Port Mackerel to place beacons on top of the shipping containers, where they're hard to see and even harder to hit. I love it when rollers place 'em, there are some really hidey-hole kind of ledges up top.

That said, on a couple maps they tend to be short-lived, almost to the point of uselessness. Saltspray? Anywhere "safe" you could just swim to in ~5 seconds, and anywhere deep in the map is easily spotted. Walleye is too condensed unless you get lucky tucking it into one of the enemy corners.

I will say that they are SUPER nice as decoys, almost as good as sprinklers. Place one in the open when nobody is around and you have a guaranteed kill when some dummy with an aerospray shows you their back while they attempt to destroy/camp it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

Basically no one tries to break them anyways so I don't think it matters that much

This is because nobody looks at the map.

Which is how I got into A+, by looking at the map, because I'm below average at aiming lol

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

One of the nicest things about the Blaster that really sold me on it over a .52 Gal was that it one-shots sprinklers and beacons, even with splash damage. It's just like the Direct Hit, when the enemy is trying to bury you in their toys you can fight back against the tide with just as little effort.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its terrible that seabagging is the only way to taunt your opponents in this game.

VVV TF2 has spoiled me with its variety of creative and humiliating taunts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

That's some COD kid poo poo and it's thickly discouraged.

• Locked thread