Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Don't think of it in those terms. Triss specifically says, multiple times, she knows what's going to happen to her, and that she can take it. It comes down to if you trust her word or you/Geralt can't take it/need to 'save' her.

Way I see it she didn't need saving anyway, if you mess up she's already free and slinging fireballs and if you go along with it she again frees herself and kills the guy, looks like she could have done that at any point but choose not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Avalerion posted:

Way I see it she didn't need saving anyway, if you mess up she's already free and slinging fireballs and if you go along with it she again frees herself and kills the guy, looks like she could have done that at any point but choose not to.

Well yeah, she puts on what look like dimeritium cuffs, but they're fakes, so everyone thinks she's been neutralised, but she's as deadly as ever. Which according to Gwent rules, is 70% as deadly as Yennefer, who at this point in time I've only seen in combat once, against about a hundred soldiers, and she massacres the lot of them. So Triss can definitely take care of herself against a dozen or so Witch Hunters.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Memento posted:

Well yeah, she puts on what look like dimeritium cuffs, but they're fakes, so everyone thinks she's been neutralised, but she's as deadly as ever. Which according to Gwent rules, is 70% as deadly as Yennefer, who at this point in time I've only seen in combat once, against about a hundred soldiers, and she massacres the lot of them. So Triss can definitely take care of herself against a dozen or so Witch Hunters.

According to Gwent rules, Triss is just as powerful as Yen (both are Strength 7), but Yen can bring people back from the dead, apparently.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well Geralt and Yen are somehow not dead, so I guess she can.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Zakmonster posted:

According to Gwent rules, Triss is just as powerful as Yen (both are Strength 7), but Yen can bring people back from the dead, apparently.

yeah she does it in that one quest...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zakmonster posted:

Oh yeah, I incorrectly recalled that she was strength 10 for some reason. There you go, Triss can clearly take care of herself with the fireballs and crotch-based flame lightning against that one Redanian spy. That scene was pretty nasty.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Pretty happy with the Nilfgaard wins, Ciri becomes empress, Temeria survives as an independent vassal ending.

A bit disappointed that I didn't get to meet kill the Hierarch at any point though.

Hopefully the expansions will let us catch Weavess, and see what happened to Saskia, Iorveth, John Natalis, Anais, and some other characters. Would be nice to meet Shani too, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 12, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like how a lot of people are satisfied with letting the badguys win because the alternative feels worse.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I like how a lot of people are satisfied with letting the badguys win because the alternative feels worse.

Who are the bad guys?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Lareine posted:

Who are the bad guys?

Mankind.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The good ending is the Redanian army leading a free north to victory under the fair and just leadership of Trollolololo, the singing troll.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I am willing to let mankind get away with it just this once.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Struggling with the first Gwent bloke you meet beyond the tutorial dude. He's absolutely rolling me in the first round and then winning because I have no cards. Is this one of those times where I should come back later when I've pay to winned a good deck and poop all over him?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Try to find Decoys in shops, Commander Horns and a Scorch or two (but never both in the same hand) can also help. I didn't really go for the gusto with challenging all the various miscellaneous merchants until I had enough northie units to shunt the low-number basic unit cards out of my deck. Didn't even challenge the Baron 'till I had three Decoys, but winning another Northie spy card from him was perfect. Now I just need more medics besides Yen and the Dun Banner lady and I'll be set. On the Northern Kingdoms deck anyway.

The thing about Gwent is that Spies are the best cards in the game and if you're just starting out you only have a single one. There's two ways to get more Spies in-match, and that's using Decoy on a Spy deployed to your side of the board and stealing it into your hand or using a Medic to revive a Spy used against you as your own. Both of which literally involves recycling a Spy used against you, so it's less of an advantage and more of an arms race to build up hands. Playing a Spy puts you at a slight strength disadvantage but gives you a decisive card advantage, so weaker Spies are better.

And since you're probably just starting out the best cards are off the table unless you can win them from quest-related players, so you'll have to make do with buying Decoys and "okay" units to replace your Poor loving Infantry and other weak unit cards. Biting Frost is good to use against monster players, so don't be afraid to rechallenge someone once you know what they use and have tweaked your deck to tackle them by cutting out chaff to ensure you're more likely to get cards you actually want.

Also, if you're talking about the guy in Vizima, he's definitely going to kick your rear end if you challenge him right after the prologue. I still haven't gone back to challenge him.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Konig posted:

Struggling with the first Gwent bloke you meet beyond the tutorial dude. He's absolutely rolling me in the first round and then winning because I have no cards. Is this one of those times where I should come back later when I've pay to winned a good deck and poop all over him?
You will get beat in Gwent for some time. Just buy every card you see in any shop/inn and you will still get your rear end handed to you if you don't use some basic strategy of remembering that you have 3 rounds to win with one hand. However spending all your money on cards might prove difficult in the starting area where it's not that easy to get a lot of money.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I just did the Battle of Kaer Morhen and oh man that entire thing was fantastic. The only things that sucked were I didn't manage to recruit everyone, I would've liked to have seen Dikjstra there but I didn't do his stuff before trying to recruit him so he told me no. I also would've liked to have seen the Skellige crew that came do something. Everyone else got some thing cool to do during the battle but it never once went to them. The Keira Metz part was pretty loving cool though. So was Triss literally raining fire down on everyone. The conclusion with Ciri just going apeshit bonkers when Vesimer dies was rad. And the funeral is properly emotional. Geralt is so :smith:

I hated that sequence and just wanted it to end. So out of place for an open world game, I guess it was the stomping ground for the disgruntled scripted corridor AAA cutscene writers that they couldn't use anywhere else.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Also, if you're talking about the guy in Vizima, he's definitely going to kick your rear end if you challenge him right after the prologue. I still haven't gone back to challenge him.

I actually managed to beat him straight out of the prologue, but I'd imagine that was more luck than anything else.

Probably the biggest thing about Gwent is that you need to change your mindset around time being a resource rather than a cost. In most games, doing something faster is better, but in Gwent you want delay making your real moves as long as possible to force the enemy into committing his plays while you get to make reactionary decisions. Since passing means giving up on the round entirely, just having more cards than the enemy can force him to overcommit for a victory while you carry your strength into the next round, or even let you completely negate some powerful cards. For example, suppose you have a powerful unit that you want to use, but you suspect your enemy has a Scorch card in their hand (destroys the most powerful unit or units on the battlefield, regardless of whose side they are on). If you have more cards than them, you can save that card until after the enemy has been forced to either play their Scorch or pass the round, meaning your best unit is safe from their counterplay. If things really well, you can even hold back enough that the strongest unit is on their side of the board until they've been forced to pass, meaning he never even gets to use his Scorch.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That Nilfgaardian guy can be beaten, but it takes some RNG. I lucked out on him not playing the archers from vague memory, and got good hand myself.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Has anyone ever gotten any loot from a golem? I feel like this must be a bug.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Lareine posted:

Who are the bad guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RuB3gT8t0

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

Has anyone ever gotten any loot from a golem? I feel like this must be a bug.

Yeah. Their hearts and some other stuff I can't recall.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
This dice game in the first witcher sure is infuriating, I wish I could remove these quests from my log

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Relin posted:

This dice game in the first witcher sure is infuriating, I wish I could remove these quests from my log

Better than the one in the second.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

CDP/GOG has released sales numbers, and according to
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/259486/the-witcher-3-pc-sales-totals-and-platform-split-revealed/
around the third of all sold copies are on PC. 4 milion total so far also puts W3 in the same place as better of Bioware titles. Let's hope for Bethesda numbers soon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

#doublet #tightcollar

I swear I will screenshot every moment where Geralt whines about doublets even if it's the death of me. Look at that look of contempt on his face. He knows the doublet is coming and no matter how much he complains he just cannot stop it. Welcome to the eye of the doublet storm, Geralt.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I get his complaints about the Nilfgardian doublets bit the Skellige ones look pretty comfy to me.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
This was a few pages ago but wtf beer belly armors. Can someone ss an armor like this? I haven't seen any.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

This was a few pages ago but wtf beer belly armors. Can someone ss an armor like this? I haven't seen any.

Probably Griffin armor, that has solid chestpiece instead of leather+chain as other witcher sets do.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Relin posted:

I used these mods for Witcher 1 and 2

Witcher 1
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher/mods/688/
(e: actually I don't think it was this one but I can't find the one I used)
(e2: maybe this one? http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/26191-mod-Poker-Dice-Cheater)

Witcher 2
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/646/

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 12, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Man, when the game tells you you aren't coming back for a while, you really aren't coming back for a while. Gained 6 levels off the story quests after the first point of no return. If I had known it was going to be that extreme I would have made some Superior Ursine armor and stuck in my bag. I don't mind being railroaded like that but it sucks losing access to anything other than an amateur smith for that entire period of time.

Still though, I think that entire sequence rivals Mass Effect 2's endgame easily.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Memento posted:

This exact thing happened to me, but about three minutes later. I got into the office, and Triss had been led away to be tortured. The main Witch Hunter offered me a drink, I said "no thanks", he insisted and I insisted otherwise and then he got stabby and I got burny and things didn't end well for him and his men and then the rest of his men as well. Triss said "what the gently caress happened?" and I said "umm yeah he saw through the whole thing, we were never going to get away with it"

It's a silver goblet. He's testing wether Geralt is a Doppler.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Hopefully the expansions will let us catch Weavess

You can kill her in one of the three epilogues, it's both the best and worst ending at the same time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I just did the Letho come-back quest and man does his plan to appear to have died not make any sense whatsoever. I mean even Geralt points out to him that the bounty hunters could have made sure they killed him or cut his head off after he "dies" (which would 100% happen considering his infamy) and Letho agrees but then he continues talking about his cunning plan and how Geralt spoiled it as if that didn't matter.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Palpek posted:

I just did the Letho come-back quest and man does his plan to appear to have died not make any sense whatsoever. I mean even Geralt points out to him that the bounty hunters could have made sure they killed him or cut his head off after he "dies" (which would 100% happen considering his infamy) and Letho agrees but then he continues talking about his cunning plan and how Geralt spoiled it as if that didn't matter.

Not if you don't interfere in the fight, but only step in afterward and BS the bounty hunter into believing that taking Letho's medallion rather than his head is sufficient proof. Sure, Letho's plan isn't flawless, but he was willing to do anything to get the emperor off his scent

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Palpek posted:

You were supposed to let them take his medallion, which would have been more proof that he died than a rotting head .

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Well yeah but Geralt wasn't in on the plan so the entire thing hanged on Geralt interfering one way or another anyway while he was asked not to do anything at all.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Anyone who dislikes the (excellent) music in this game with regards to dynamic combat themes needs to remember how good they've got it in comparison

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Palpek posted:

Well yeah but Geralt wasn't in on the plan so the entire thing hanged on Geralt interfering one way or another anyway while he was asked not to do anything at all.

I actually like that there are a number of quests in the game where all your instruction is a character saying "You have to trust me". Makes it feel like Geralt's not the only one doing things in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

mcbexx posted:

You can kill her in one of the three epilogues, it's both the best and worst ending at the same time.

Oh, cool. Just checked what you need to do to get the other endings, and it seems like I was just one or two choices short of getting this one. :ohdear: