Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I'm curious as to how much of a hit battery life is going to take. On one hand I'm sure they are optimizing the OS to be more efficient, on the other hand I don't think the efficiencies gained can keep up with the extra battery drain that comes from 3rd party apps and longer watch interactions (email and multi colored doodles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The battery is already more than half full at the end of the day for me so I figure it's still gonna have enough juice even without optimization.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

I was under the impression that I could use my watch out of bluetooth range of my phone on the same wifi network, but that does not appear to be working. Any suggestions for how to ensure wifi is set up on the watch?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

pragan4 posted:

I was under the impression that I could use my watch out of bluetooth range of my phone on the same wifi network, but that does not appear to be working. Any suggestions for how to ensure wifi is set up on the watch?

Depends on the wifi network. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204562

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

http://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/397w8f/made_some_custom_watch_faces_you_can_download/cs16sqh

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

pragan4 posted:

The watch can only do 2.4 GHz wifi, 5 GHz isn't supported. Also, I'll say that mine can be somewhat flaky at times with wifi, in that notifications occasionally don't come in at all, and any 3rd party apps are basically a no-go.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Our most personal device ever. SomeTIMEs.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

Our most personal device ever. SomeTIMEs.

My god how pathetic is your life that you can spend all day in a thread about a device you have no interest in only to threadshit. Did your wife leave you for an Apple Watch?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
rear end Catchcum was raped by the dog whose owner bought it two Watch Editions.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Athletic Footjob posted:

rear end Catchcum was raped by the dog whose owner bought it two Watch Editions.

It wouldn't have been rape if it was a Gen 2 watch.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My uncle bought one yesterday and I got to play with it. I've been skeptical about smartwatches in the past but my god the apple watch is beautiful and the interface is butter. I was even impressed by the 3rd party apps he had on there. Most of them were kind of bad honestly (as I expected) but the ESPN app looked great.

Depending on where this winds up going I might have to buy an iPhone just to get one. :negative:

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Anybody have the black 42mm sport with brown leather loop? Thinking of getting that band but would like to see a pic first.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

So, as far as I've heard, the active heart rate tracking function obliterates battery. I've recently become interested in fitness tracking, but if I can get an inexpensive Fitbit that costs way less and is more uni-functional for that purpose, I think I might dismiss any notion of saving for an Apple Watch.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

So, as far as I've heard, the active heart rate tracking function obliterates battery. I've recently become interested in fitness tracking, but if I can get an inexpensive Fitbit that costs way less and is more uni-functional for that purpose, I think I might dismiss any notion of saving for an Apple Watch.

It depends. I'm not on the watch too much other than to check notifications and weather, but I did a 2 hour run in the workout app yesterday and finished the day with a little less than 20% battery. So it's probably not too big a deal unless you're a true gym rat.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
If you're a true gym rat you should get a proper Bluetooth heart rate strap that goes across your chest.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

io_burn posted:

If you're a true gym rat you should get a proper Bluetooth heart rate strap that goes across your chest.

My chest strap isn't any better than my Charge HR at tracking heart rate and I use it more often since it is more comfortable.

Agronox posted:

It depends. I'm not on the watch too much other than to check notifications and weather, but I did a 2 hour run in the workout app yesterday and finished the day with a little less than 20% battery. So it's probably not too big a deal unless you're a true gym rat.

A Fitbit will run days and days with contentious HR tracking plus sleep tracking which is why I wear it and a Smartwatch.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Three Olives posted:

My chest strap isn't any better than my Charge HR at tracking heart rate and I use it more often since it is more comfortable.

I meant more from a battery perspective. Prior to the Apple Watch I used the Polar Bluetooth chest strap and it not only worked flawlessly but the battery in it lasts forever- And when it dies you just replace it with one of those coin batteries. I bought a box of them that's large enough to cover replacements for my lifetime for a few bucks on Amazon.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Three Olives posted:

A Fitbit will run days and days with contentious HR tracking plus sleep tracking which is why I wear it and a Smartwatch.

I thought basically all the smart devices that monitored heart rate sampled heart rate unless you're actively looking at the HR or doing a workout; is this not true of the Fitbit?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

fordan posted:

I thought basically all the smart devices that monitored heart rate sampled heart rate unless you're actively looking at the HR or doing a workout; is this not true of the Fitbit?

Fitbit gives you a 5 minute average 24/7 and logs by the second during workouts, it also runs days at a time including daily workouts.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Three Olives posted:

Fitbit gives you a 5 minute average 24/7 and logs by the second during workouts, it also runs days at a time including daily workouts.

Fitbit also has a huge stick up their corporate rear end about sharing your data with the health app on iOS.

I like their products but that annoys the poo poo out of me.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

CaptainCrunch posted:

Fitbit also has a huge stick up their corporate rear end about sharing your data with the health app on iOS.

I like their products but that annoys the poo poo out of me.

While that is disconcerting to hear, the Health app is the biggest pile of poo poo I've ever seen in my life.

I went hiking in Washington last week and the Health app recorded a way different elevation and steps for myself and the group I was with. We all have iPhone 6 so it really should be pretty uniform across three people. Not only that, but the layout is confusing as gently caress to read. Just a lovely line that ends in an ambiguous spot on the graph.

I'm sure whatever Fitbit offers is vastly superior. I say that not knowing a thing about it, but it would be an improvement if they whipped a 6 year old into drawing graphs with crayons. It would still be better.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yep, the graphing within the Health app is freaking terrible and there seems to be no way to change it.

(Poorly labeled axes, I WANT MY HEART RATE AS A LINE NOT A CANDLESTICK, etc.)

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
From what I can tell, the Health app is basically a glorified debugging UI for CRUD operations on top of the overall datastore and Apple thinks the actual UI should exist as an intelligence layer, or contextually like the three rings on the watch.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Anyone else having a issues with friction making band switching harder than it should be? I have a white sport band and a black leather loop and it seems like it's much harder to swap them out than it should be, especially when putting on the leather loop.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Are you sure you're not putting them in upside down? Should be smooth as butter until they click.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Zwille posted:

Are you sure you're not putting them in upside down? Should be smooth as butter until they click.

No they're definitely right way round, just a little sticky when getting them out and in.

vvv That's probably it, I'm just still babying it. I probably won't notice in a week or so. vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 12, 2015

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah now that I think about it they catch a tiny bit on the magnets or whatever it is when you push the straps in, though only so much that you'll feel it. You shouldn't have to use force.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Anyone else running into issues where they can't get an Apple TV to show up on the remote app menu? They seemed to pair fine, entered the code, & the watch even shows up on the Apple TV menus as paired. But the Apple TV doesn't show on the watch end. Any ideas? :(

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Yesterday I ordered a stainless steel with black sport band and was resigned to it not arriving before Father's Day (it said shipping 2-3 weeks) but I got a shipping notice this morning!

Maybe it is payback for the crack I noticed in my Sport glass yesterday.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

bloodysabbath posted:

Anyone else running into issues where they can't get an Apple TV to show up on the remote app menu? They seemed to pair fine, entered the code, & the watch even shows up on the Apple TV menus as paired. But the Apple TV doesn't show on the watch end. Any ideas? :(

Does it work with the remote app on the phone? Usually when I see this it doesn't work with any iOS remote and it's time to reboot the AppleTV.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

Yesterday I ordered a stainless steel with black sport band and was resigned to it not arriving before Father's Day (it said shipping 2-3 weeks) but I got a shipping notice this morning!

Maybe it is payback for the crack I noticed in my Sport glass yesterday.

There's so much I can get out of this post I'm having trouble not cumming in my mouth

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

There's so much I can get out of this post I'm having trouble not cumming in my mouth

... Dad?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If UPS is to be believed my watch will arrive Monday.

What are the current 'must have apps?' Any good goon made apps?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I mostly use coach.me (formerly known as Lift) and sometimes Instagram. Other than that third party apps or anything that needs the iPhone (weather is a culprit of this) take way too long to be useful.

VLC remote is neat if you watch stuff on your computer/VLC.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I really like Calcbot and its tip calculator. It may be my most used third party app

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Dark Sky works really well as long as you're near your phone. The NY Times app is also really good, it gives you brief summaries of a handful of stories for when you just want a quick update on news.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

fordan posted:

Does it work with the remote app on the phone? Usually when I see this it doesn't work with any iOS remote and it's time to reboot the AppleTV.

Hey, just want to say that this did the trick. Thanks!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Space Racist posted:

Dark Sky works really well as long as you're near your phone. The NY Times app is also really good, it gives you brief summaries of a handful of stories for when you just want a quick update on news.

Yeah I love the Dark Sky glance, it's replaced the stock wether glance for me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Got my black SS today. This thing is super slick. I didn't have any issues pairing it ( for some reason my wife's did back in April). Everything synched right up. Battery life seems fine. Still need to tweak a few settings. It feels as good as any steel watch and link band. The only downside is having to wait for OS 2 to really unlock more of what this thing can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
FYI, you can now buy these in-store.

• Locked thread