Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RevKrule posted:

The GOP has canceled the Iowa straw poll.

3 posts above you :v:

This is depressing. One less horse race :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I wonder if this causes a major rift in candidates. Candidates like Cruz and Carson could have used the straw poll to help bolster their chances and now those chances have been taken from them.

Also, how much money has been spent by candidates in Iowa that is now wasted? Doesn't this make Iowa even less important than it ever should have been?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I wonder if this causes a major rift in candidates. Candidates like Cruz and Carson could have used the straw poll to help bolster their chances and now those chances have been taken from them.

Also, how much money has been spent by candidates in Iowa that is now wasted? Doesn't this make Iowa even less important than it ever should have been?

I am pretty sure they still would host the caucus though? I thought the straw poll was something else.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Okay, I thought that they were connected. How much time is between the straw poll and the caucus? If there is a lot of time between them, then that is money and campaigning time that could have been spent elsewhere.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Cruz will go to Iowa anyways and start his own straw poll there

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/11/politics/jeb-bush-to-women-on-welfare-in-1994-get-a-husband/

He is starting to look like the easiest to beat in the general, he really was the dumb one the entire time :vince:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Now we just need to end caucuses and Iowa being the first in the nation bullshit.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

:confused:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The question that must be asked: Is Bernie Sanders’ presidential run a rape fantasy?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Winkie01 posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/11/politics/jeb-bush-to-women-on-welfare-in-1994-get-a-husband/

He is starting to look like the easiest to beat in the general, he really was the dumb one the entire time :vince:

Just lol. Really, lol you loving rear end in a top hat.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

I see they are at it again. I feel sorry for Hillary because those people are horrible and having them in her corner is not something she would probably ever ask for.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Okay, I thought that they were connected. How much time is between the straw poll and the caucus? If there is a lot of time between them, then that is money and campaigning time that could have been spent elsewhere.

The straw poll is in August, almost a half year before the caucus.

The Democrats don't have a straw poll. The GOP basically used it as a party fundraising tool by charging huge rates for the prime locations in the straw poll grounds, and campaigns are usually forced to pay the entry fee for supporters who they bus in because Iowans generally aren't excited to travel to the straw poll.

In the past the GOP was able to keep it going because top-tier candidates used to compete, but last time almost everyone but Ron Paul sat out and Michelle Bachmann won the straw poll. This year it was really looking like it was going to be a clown show, so they scrapped it mostly out of fear that this unimportant fundraising tool might generate criticism that could put Iowa's first in the nation status in jeopardy.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Winkie01 posted:

He's a Republican and also Dubya's brother, what did you expect?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Winkie01 posted:

I think it's indicative of how politics has changed over time (in this case, for the better) since a lot of the sexist stuff Jeb and other Republicans have said were more broadly acceptable when they were first said, and are only catching up to them now that they're back in the spotlight. The younger Republicans are a little luckier in that respect since their history's shorter so they don't have to answer for statements made in an earlier paradigm.

One of Hillary's advantages may be that she's been in the spotlight continuously, so the chance of some forgotten statement or position of hers coming back to hurt her is lessened.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Now we just need to end caucuses and Iowa being the first in the nation bullshit.

That is not going to happen. The GOP and Dems in Iowa have a solid pact that they will always work together no matter who is in power to reschedule their caucus before any other state votes, no matter what. If someone moves to early January, Iowa will immediately move to December. It is very easy to move a caucus because they are just party meetings and no one is elected to anything, so its not like they'd also have to move state and local elections around to accomodate like other states have to for primaries.

Last time there was a movement towards the front, someone high-profile in Iowa government either the speaker or governor I think, declared "If they vote in August, then we'll vote in July!".

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 12, 2015

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Anime Curator posted:

Cruz will go to Iowa anyways and start his own straw poll there

"With blackjack! And hookers!"

Northjayhawk posted:

That is not going to happen. The GOP and Dems in Iowa have a solid pact that they will always work together no matter who is in power to reschedule their caucus before any other state votes, no matter what. If someone moves to early January, Iowa will immediately move to December.

Last time there was a movement towards the front, someone high-profile in Iowa government either the speaker or governor I think, declared "If they vote in August, then we'll vote in July!".

loving Iowa. It's like their only claim to fame--that they get to go first every four years. I guess it's because they know that no one would give a poo poo about them if they didn't.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

loving Iowa. It's like their only claim to fame--that they get to go first every four years. I guess it's because they know that no one would give a poo poo about them if they didn't.

Its worth an awful lot of money to Iowa. Campaigns spend way too much time and money for Iowa's few delegates to prove that they are viable, and they aren't going to give it up.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
:rip: Intrade I miss you.

Rubio and Walker would have gone through the roof right about now, maybe a good time to buy some Jeb.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The cancelling of the Iowa (née Ames) Straw Poll is actually bad for the Republican Party. The event never picked winners, but it was good for winnowing candidates, which the Republicans really, really need to do right now. Tim Pawlenty cancelled his 2012 campaign after finishing a distant third in the Straw Poll behind Michele Bachmann and Ron Paul, then joined the Romney campaign. The GOP could have reformed the event and made it less about who had the better BBQ and country music, but they chose to just get rid of it instead, which is a sort of metaphor for everything about the GOP.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Maybe they should... cancel the GOP?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

The cancelling of the Iowa (née Ames) Straw Poll is actually bad for the Republican Party. The event never picked winners, but it was good for winnowing candidates, which the Republicans really, really need to do right now. Tim Pawlenty cancelled his 2012 campaign after finishing a distant third in the Straw Poll behind Michele Bachmann and Ron Paul, then joined the Romney campaign. The GOP could have reformed the event and made it less about who had the better BBQ and country music, but they chose to just get rid of it instead, which is a sort of metaphor for everything about the GOP.

Do you think they're afraid of it just being a kook sweepstakes and prolonging the parade of nutjobs?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SedanChair posted:

Do you think they're afraid of it just being a kook sweepstakes and prolonging the parade of nutjobs?

I don't think the straw pool ends the Republican nomination process sooooo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

It's always one, though. Paul used to dominate it because he literally bussed people in, the fringe always won it because they went around shouting "THIS IS SO IMPORTANT" while everyone who actually knew what politics was said 'nah not really'. It only served to give the 'I'm just here to sell my books' guys a nice window to bow out when the truly crazy folks win it and the moderates don't give a poo poo. This is going to be what prolongs things because now there's even less chances to go 'ok I'm clearly not the lead here, I've gotten my name in the news plenty, I can still take a few snipes and poo poo from the side, I'll just leave now'.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SedanChair posted:

Without any of the serious candidates agreeing to participate, and with the specter of Donald Trump entering the race, the chances of it being an embarrassment to the party were very high.

Which, again, is why the GOP should refuse to acknowledge Donald Trump's candidacy, but again, it's the GOP.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Without any of the serious candidates agreeing to participate, and with the specter of Donald Trump entering the race, the chances of it being an embarrassment to the party were very high.

Which, again, is why the GOP should refuse to acknowledge Donald Trump's candidacy, but again, it's the GOP.

Do you think they're genuinely worried if they ignore him he'll go third party and drag some teaparty types with him? He seems just egotistical and stupid enough to legitimately fracture the party if they don't hug him enough.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Joementum posted:

I think the problem is that the field is so huge that the straw poll would have been unlikely to help an establishment candidate like Bush, Walker, or Rubio. With almost 20 people, it would have likely gone to some kook. Likewise, I can't imagine anyone being discouraged by losing a straw poll of 20 people. That can be easily written off as due to the crowded field. So if the GOP's goal is to get a "normal" candidate elected, and it is, then there's no way the straw poll could help them.

Bonus points if it was canceled specifically to protect Bush, who isn't campaigning in Iowa, from Walker, who's probably strongest there.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

As inept as Trump is, having him declare a media war on you can be a real nuisance. The guy knows how to get on camera.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Do you think they're genuinely worried if they ignore him he'll go third party and drag some teaparty types with him? He seems just egotistical and stupid enough to legitimately fracture the party if they don't hug him enough.

I think they're worried that shutting him out of events will make them look undemocratic, but that's part of the purpose of political parties.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

You know, like if Obama were some ultra-rational guy.

Like, a Vulcan.

Tuvok

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Also, thinking about it more, Walker should be pissed. He's polling the strongest in Iowa, despite the kooks, and this is his only time to shine before Bush declares.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
But, where will we get our pictures of candidates enthusiastically eating corn dogs now? :qq:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bernie 'the Racist Rapist Pinko' Sanders '16

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TheDisreputableDog posted:

You know, like if Obama were some ultra-rational guy.

Like, a Vulcan.

Tuvok

The dude that could barely contain his murderous rage to kill the cook? That guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ8ePckB1Us

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

OAquinas posted:

But, where will we get our pictures of candidates enthusiastically eating corn dogs now? :qq:

Oh, don't worry. The Iowa State Fair is still totally happening.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The dude that could barely contain his murderous rage to kill the cook? That guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ8ePckB1Us

A desire to brutally murder Neelix is the most logical thing in the history of the Vulcans

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Which, in turn, means the Michelle Bachmanns of the field will stay in till the actual Iowa caucus under the delusion that they can win...which means more pure, uncut hilarity.

Northjayhawk posted:

Its worth an awful lot of money to Iowa. Campaigns spend way too much time and money for Iowa's few delegates to prove that they are viable, and they aren't going to give it up.

It's completely retarded. I was listening to NPR last Saturday and one of the discussion topics was how Iowans are fed up with the fact that Presidential candidates view them all as farmers and hayseeds. Something like 92% of employed Iowans (I think that was the number) are in white-collar professions, yet every Presidential event is spent looking as folksy and farm-friendly as possible. Candidates spend all their time kissing the asses of the ethanol producers and the Corn Growers Association--the only Presidential candidate I've ever seen NOT do it wasn't a real Presidential candidate (Arnold Vinick in West Wing Season 6.)

The Iowa caucus is a complete farce.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 12, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dolash posted:

I think it's indicative of how politics has changed over time (in this case, for the better) since a lot of the sexist stuff Jeb and other Republicans have said were more broadly acceptable when they were first said, and are only catching up to them now that they're back in the spotlight. The younger Republicans are a little luckier in that respect since their history's shorter so they don't have to answer for statements made in an earlier paradigm.

Reminder for those who've forgotten or are too young to have experienced it firsthand: One of the (many) really stupid things things vice president Dan Quayle did back in the 90s was taking a bold stance against single motherhood by attacking a fictional TV character.

an excellent speller posted:

It doesn’t help matters when prime-time TV has Murphy Brown, a character who supposedly epitomizes today’s intelligent, highly paid professional woman, mocking the importance of fathers by bearing a child alone and calling it just another lifestyle choice.

He subsequently claimed he was just trying to emphasize the need for fathers to step up and be responsible for their children, which I trust you all find as convincing as I do.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Is there some way I could start an indiegogo to create a new Iowa Straw Poll?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Romneys are hosting an event this weekend for Republican Presidential candidates to bask in Mitt's glow and "learn from his experience". This morning featured a flag football game with Marco Rubio and "Sunrise Pilates" hosted by Ann and Game Change author Mark Halperin.

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

The Romneys are hosting an event this weekend for Republican Presidential candidates to bask in Mitt's glow and "learn from his experience". This morning featured a flag football game with Marco Rubio and "Sunrise Pilates" hosted by Ann and Game Change author Mark Halperin.

:911:

Halperin is such an incredible piece of poo poo.

I mean, the rest of that is hilarious, but lmfao.

• Locked thread