Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

air- posted:

Aw wish I'd have known, a buddy moved from Dallas and works at Night Shift now!

My buddy is visiting Boston in July, and has Night Shift on his itinerary - any tips from your buddy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ChickenArise posted:

Devil's Backbone makes a Vienna Lager that might be worth checking out.

i would have suggested that but for the case/can requirement. they can Gold Leaf, though, so maybe there's a case option for that?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
oh, whoops cans. Yeah, not a ton of options, but try Total Wine. There's more stuff in cases of cans every time I go.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Podima posted:

My buddy is visiting Boston in July, and has Night Shift on his itinerary - any tips from your buddy?

I too am visiting Boston in July to meet up with a fellow beer buddy, and here's what I have as possibilities so far:

Trillium
Night Shift
Row 34
Cambridge
Meadhall
Lord Hobo
Mystic
Idle Hands
Harpoon
Stoddard's
Battery Park

Anything we should add/delete?

Apache
May 11, 2004

Richmond trip report:

Started at Mekong for dinner and a really good pale from Maine BC called Mo. The food was very good as well, and a huge taplist of good stuff.
Next was the Answer brewpub to try some of their house brews. Tried all four of their offerings, all good IPAs ranging from session strength to double.
After that we hit Ardent and met funkybottoms, great beer and staff. Cool beer garden too.
Last stop was Hardywood, which was packed and had OK beer on draft, nothing special. The bourbon cru wasn't too quad like.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Never had Columbus before, but this Thunderlips I'm sucking down is really tasty and juicy. They were only here for Beer Week so I probably won't see them again anytime soon, but if I do what should I look for?

Edit: poo poo, Bodhi's even better. Why have I not heard of this?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 12, 2015

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

idk man, cbc makes good poo poo

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Phanatic posted:

Edit: poo poo, Bodhi's even better. Why have I not heard of this?

Bodhi gets pretty solid Midwest hype, though I haven't had it yet. Pretty Columbus is draft only, but you see growlers of it traded regularly.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

I too am visiting Boston in July to meet up with a fellow beer buddy, and here's what I have as possibilities so far:

Trillium
Night Shift
Row 34
Cambridge
Meadhall
Lord Hobo
Mystic
Idle Hands
Harpoon
Stoddard's
Battery Park

Aeronaut, Publick House

skip stoddards and do Tip Tap Room instead, the food is way better.

Night Shift should hopefully have the newest batch of Everweiss out by July sometime, it's easily their best Berliner.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Seconding Publick House; I'm a fan and this just came up in the DC Dining thread for someone making the trip up soon.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

^^^Great, thanks guys!

What's the temperature in Boston like in the middle of July? Obviously we are going to be drinking water as we go from place to place, but do we need to factor tons of sweating into how much water we need to drink? I'm from the humid-rear end midwest so I'm hoping I'll have a heat tolerance built up by then.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

True story: I once cleared out the second floor of Meadhall with my farting. It was a pretty big highlight (or lowlight depending on how you look at it) to my drinking career.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
No way that's not a highlight.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Meadhall is cool, but it seems like every time I go there they are out of just about everything I want to drink on their menu. They aren't very good about updates, their goddamn website has been "coming soon" for at least 2 years now

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Phanatic posted:

No way that's not a highlight.

Apache posted:

Richmond trip report:

Started at Mekong for dinner and a really good pale from Maine BC called Mo. The food was very good as well, and a huge taplist of good stuff.
Next was the Answer brewpub to try some of their house brews. Tried all four of their offerings, all good IPAs ranging from session strength to double.
After that we hit Ardent and met funkybottoms, great beer and staff. Cool beer garden too.
Last stop was Hardywood, which was packed and had OK beer on draft, nothing special. The bourbon cru wasn't too quad like.

good to meet you, and i'm glad you enjoyed the stop- hope the drive back was uneventful, traffic-wise!

Vertigo posted:

Heading up to Portland ME today to check out Allagash Bissel Bros and Foundation

i know i've already said this, but don't sleep on Oxbow or Lively

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

cryme posted:

Meadhall is cool, but it seems like every time I go there they are out of just about everything I want to drink on their menu. They aren't very good about updates, their goddamn website has been "coming soon" for at least 2 years now

Yeah I kind of feel the same way. They're also insanely expensive and opportunistic. I was there Weds and they still had a keg of KBS that was $15 for 8oz. Didn't they have a Founders event a few months ago? Is it possible that it's leftover from that? I kind of feel like I shouldn't be seeing KBS on draft anywhere this late after release.

There was something wrong w/ their keg of Enjoy By, but I want to say that was like $12 or $14 for an 8oz pour as well? I dunno, I wouldn't really put it on your must stop at beer list. Unless you were staying at the Cambridge Marriott, and even then I'd say just go to Champions you'll have a better time.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

mmartinx posted:

Yeah I kind of feel the same way. They're also insanely expensive and opportunistic. I was there Weds and they still had a keg of KBS that was $15 for 8oz. Didn't they have a Founders event a few months ago? Is it possible that it's leftover from that? I kind of feel like I shouldn't be seeing KBS on draft anywhere this late after release.

There was something wrong w/ their keg of Enjoy By, but I want to say that was like $12 or $14 for an 8oz pour as well? I dunno, I wouldn't really put it on your must stop at beer list. Unless you were staying at the Cambridge Marriott, and even then I'd say just go to Champions you'll have a better time.

I would just go to the Tip Tap Room. As mentioned above, that place is great.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

danbanana posted:

Bodhi gets pretty solid Midwest hype, though I haven't had it yet. Pretty Columbus is draft only, but you see growlers of it traded regularly.

I randomly saw Bodhi on draft in San Diego recently and tried it, pretty solid IPA (I untappd it a 4/5) but not mind blowing. Maybe I'm just being a west coast IPA snob but it definitely doesn't stand out in the field here. I had King Sue recently and I'd say the same about that...does OH not get good IPAs from other places?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Had my first bottle of the most recent Sucaba. Still my all time #1 barleywine, that beer is just perfect all around.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Cigar City is selling a pumpkin beer called Seasonal Creep. I can't.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

a worthy uhh posted:

Cigar City is selling a pumpkin beer called Seasonal Creep. I can't.

From the brewers of Grandmule!

Glottis posted:

Had my first bottle of the most recent Sucaba. Still my all time #1 barleywine, that beer is just perfect all around.

Since this beer- which only 2 years ago sat on shelves for months- suddenly became a Chicago Whale, I'm holding onto my last two bottles like they're gold.

So as a consolation prize to your post, I opened a Straight Jacket! That poo poo sits on the shelves for YEARS around here. I think I like Sucaba a little more, but it's pretty drat close.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

Since this beer- which only 2 years ago sat on shelves for months- suddenly became a Chicago Whale, I'm holding onto my last two bottles like they're gold.

So as a consolation prize to your post, I opened a Straight Jacket! That poo poo sits on the shelves for YEARS around here. I think I like Sucaba a little more, but it's pretty drat close.

I've always found Straight Jacket to be a bit sweet / raisin-like than I would prefer. That said, I have a 2013 gathering dust that I should probably pop open soon.

I know I've said this before in this thread but the Abacus (Sucaba, thank you very much TM law) that we had at Leafhouse's was a goddamn transcendental experience.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

MunchE posted:

I randomly saw Bodhi on draft in San Diego recently and tried it, pretty solid IPA (I untappd it a 4/5) but not mind blowing. Maybe I'm just being a west coast IPA snob but it definitely doesn't stand out in the field here. I had King Sue recently and I'd say the same about that...does OH not get good IPAs from other places?

I think it all depends on how fresh stuff is. I've thought the same about a ton of west coast IPAs that get a lot of hype. OH gets plenty of good IPAs... I mean we're not VT or anything, but we have a pretty nice selection.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Kudosx posted:

I think it all depends on how fresh stuff is. I've thought the same about a ton of west coast IPAs that get a lot of hype. OH gets plenty of good IPAs... I mean we're not VT or anything, but we have a pretty nice selection.

What would you say are some of your standout IPAs? I'm honestly curious what IPAs stand out from that perspective. I had the Bodhi in a keg at a bar I really trust so I imagine it was pretty dang fresh.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

MunchE posted:

What would you say are some of your standout IPAs? I'm honestly curious what IPAs stand out from that perspective. I had the Bodhi in a keg at a bar I really trust so I imagine it was pretty dang fresh.

Fat Head's Head Hunter and Hop JuJu are both among my favorites, as well as Brew Kettle's White Rajah and El Lupolo Libre. JAFB in Wooster, OH has also been putting out some really good IPAs, although they don't get talked about much.

Bodhi does seem to have more batch variation than most beers, so it's hard to say what it was. The Columbus Thunderlips that someone mentioned is a super awesome beer they made, but it also seemed to have quite a bit of variation. I tried it in Columbus the week it first debuted, and thought it was above average, I rated it a 4 on Untappd. Two weeks later we got a keg of it at my work, and I thought it was one of the better IPAs I'd tried recently, and gave it a 4.75.

I think that the east coast is cranking out the best IPAs in the world right now, but we don't have it too bad in OH.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 13, 2015

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Trillium
Night Shift
Row 34
Cambridge
Meadhall
Lord Hobo
Mystic
Idle Hands
Harpoon
Stoddard's
Battery Park

Although a bit out of the way, definitely check out Jack's Abby.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
lower depths/eastern standard

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm making some red beans and rice and was thinking of adding some beer to the roux/sausage to add a little bit of flavor. What style beer do you guys think would go well for this? I was thinking of using a vienna lager, since that's what I have and what I normally cook sausage with, but I would like the end result to be spicy so I was thinking of a pale ale.

Also when making beef bourguignon would it be detrimental to add a little bit of a stout when adding the red wine?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm making some red beans and rice and was thinking of adding some beer to the roux/sausage to add a little bit of flavor. What style beer do you guys think would go well for this? I was thinking of using a vienna lager, since that's what I have and what I normally cook sausage with, but I would like the end result to be spicy so I was thinking of a pale ale.

Also when making beef bourguignon would it be detrimental to add a little bit of a stout when adding the red wine?

Stick with a wheat beer or lager for the beans imo. Maybe a gose if you're feeling adventurous.

A couple shots of stout in your bourguignon would be nice. No adjuncts though. BA'd maybe?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a worthy uhh posted:

Stick with a wheat beer or lager for the beans imo. Maybe a gose if you're feeling adventurous.

A couple shots of stout in your bourguignon would be nice. No adjuncts though. BA'd maybe?

A local place just started canning their vienna lager, it tastes almost exactly like sam adams so I think it should work.

I was going to add about 4oz of old rasputin or some cigar city maduro. I wouldn't waste the good poo poo on cooking.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Don't cheap out on good beer for cooking either, though, especially when you want the flavors to come through. Smoked Porter brisket is still one of my favorite dishes I've made with beer.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Add hard liquor in addition to beer. Don't use hoppy beers. Thems the rules

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

cryme posted:

cryme posted:

Awesome, thanks.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Has anyone tried RADIOLARIA the Off Color + Jester King collab? It seems like something that nerds would be crapping themselves over.
I've been out of touch with beer recently so I may have missed some discussion.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

Has anyone tried RADIOLARIA the Off Color + Jester King collab? It seems like something that nerds would be crapping themselves over.
I've been out of touch with beer recently so I may have missed some discussion.

I loved it. It felt like a true collaboration: each brewery's signature was apparent in it with JK's yeast profile and OC's lacto-thing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
There's definitely room for improvement on the recipe as it was mainly just what my dad could remember and write down in an email and then I modified to be spicier.

Next time I make it I'm going to get some dry beans and soak them in beer overnight; modify the trinity slightly as I didn't put in carrots; use more than one type of sausage; and for sure let it reduce longer than I let it. I got hungry and bored so I took it out before it fully reduced. So sue me.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

danbanana posted:

I loved it. It felt like a true collaboration: each brewery's signature was apparent in it with JK's yeast profile and OC's lacto-thing.

I totally agree. I had heard people say it was watery but I didn't get that at all. Very well balanced and you'll love it if you're a fan of either brewery.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Oh man. That is exactly what I was hoping for. Can't wait to bust into that now. Thanks.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

^^^Great, thanks guys!

What's the temperature in Boston like in the middle of July? Obviously we are going to be drinking water as we go from place to place, but do we need to factor tons of sweating into how much water we need to drink? I'm from the humid-rear end midwest so I'm hoping I'll have a heat tolerance built up by then.

We were staying in York Beach, ME. The temperature didn't leave 80 and was in the 60s at night. I was wholly unprepared for Boston.

I believe Weather.com listed Boston as 87 that day, all the car temps were reading 100 as were most bank signs/billboards coming in/out of Boston. It was super humid/hot and insane. I'm sure July will be worse. That being said, it was a great city to visit, and I had great food and beer. It's worth it.

Also hit up Mike's in the Italian district, best drat canoli I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Shame since Mike's is like the 3rd or 4th best canoli on that street.

I crushed 2 sixers of Grapefruit Sculpin today and I could drink that beer forever. Just perpetually drinking Grapefruit Sculpin until I die.