Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I want a live cat actually hanging in there during high G force maneuvers.

It can have a little round glass space helmet, like the Jetsons.

Just go all out and make your fleet the not-Kilrathi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
It's awesome that Olivier Zuccaro is doing the soundtrack for this. Loved what he did for us back in BtRL and Diaspora's development.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Atarask posted:

It's awesome that Olivier Zuccaro is doing the soundtrack for this. Loved what he did for us back in BtRL and Diaspora's development.

Hi Ace! I think BtRL can actually take some credit for the connect - I knew him from his work for BtRL and Blue Planet.

(Atarask was one of he leads on Diaspora, the really exceptional Battlestar flight sim.)

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
How interchangeable will all the different VR platforms be? Like obviously ES is being developed with the RIft in mind, but will it work with, say, Steam VR just as-is? Or would that require extra work to be done on the game to add support? Because I'm leaning more towards Steam's offering than Oculus' at this point.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

General Battuta posted:

(Atarask was one of he leads on Diaspora, the really exceptional Battlestar flight sim.)

Oh poo poo! That's awesome -- thanks for stopping by, Atarask. Diaspora gets mentioned quite a bit around these parts. :)

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

How interchangeable will all the different VR platforms be? Like obviously ES is being developed with the RIft in mind, but will it work with, say, Steam VR just as-is? Or would that require extra work to be done on the game to add support? Because I'm leaning more towards Steam's offering than Oculus' at this point.

I've been using SteamVR so theoretically all the headsets should work fine. This is the Unity plugin in case anyone else is interested for their own stuff: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/32647

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kairo posted:

I've been using SteamVR so theoretically all the headsets should work fine.

:allears: November here we come!

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Guess I'll have to get an HTC Vive or something, since apparently Oculus won't ship to Malaysia. Ah well.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Kairo posted:

I've been using SteamVR so theoretically all the headsets should work fine. This is the Unity plugin in case anyone else is interested for their own stuff: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/32647

I was kind of worried about SteamVR not really catering to a seated experience but that sounds good

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Bolow posted:

I was kind of worried about SteamVR not really catering to a seated experience but that sounds good

Yeah, I think seated experiences will still be pretty common even if Valve is (understandably) pushing their unique standing capabilities right now.

Starfighter hits the common denominator requirements for all the kits (even the Morpheus if by some miracle that should ever happen), so get whatever works for you. I might add some platform-specific motion control support for tactical mode down the line, but that depends on many things (like when I get a kit, and how well the game is even doing).

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

Kairo posted:

Yeah, I think seated experiences will still be pretty common even if Valve is (understandably) pushing their unique standing capabilities right now.

Starfighter hits the common denominator requirements for all the kits (even the Morpheus if by some miracle that should ever happen), so get whatever works for you. I might add some platform-specific motion control support for tactical mode down the line, but that depends on many things (like when I get a kit, and how well the game is even doing).

You realize you're going to make me buy more equipment for your game, right? (this isn't a bad thing, unless you're my wallet)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
just make it so I can give enemy pilots the bird with the oculus touch and I'll be happy

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

If bobbleheads or any other in-cockpit items come into fruition, please allow us to poke them with Oculus Touch.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's a small thing but I noticed it in the video again, that weirdly steady breathing doesn't speed up even when the music and action does. I hope you take a poke at that during polish time, because it kind of clashes with the cool dynamic music.

I don't have a good suggestion as to what it should be tied to, though. Taking damage? Overall health with a steady decrease? Jamming time? Enemy proximity? Just seems like there's some potential there.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 13, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
Maybe when drifting, boosting or firing, not just all the time?

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Bhodi posted:

It's a small thing but I noticed it in the video again, that weirdly steady breathing doesn't speed up even when the music and action does. I hope you take a poke at that during polish time, because it kind of clashes with the cool dynamic music.

I don't have a good suggestion as to what it should be tied to, though. Taking damage? Overall health with a steady decrease? Jamming time? Enemy proximity? Just seems like there's some potential there.

The ancient apogee? (I think) game "Blake Stone:Aliens of Gold" while being a lovely Wolfenstein game in a post-Doom world had a heart beat sound that sped up as your health got lower. It made the game surprisingly tense. Could something similar work here? The more enemies near, actions per second, more violent manouvers made or less heath remaining (or all of the above?) the faster the pilot's breath gets?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mr Darcy posted:

The ancient apogee? (I think) game "Blake Stone:Aliens of Gold" while being a lovely Wolfenstein game in a post-Doom world had a heart beat sound that sped up as your health got lower. It made the game surprisingly tense. Could something similar work here? The more enemies near, actions per second, more violent manouvers made or less heath remaining (or all of the above?) the faster the pilot's breath gets?

I have a soft spot for that game. Vending machines blew my mind back then. Blake stone also had a silenced pistol as his default which was pretty cool (especially back then) but gently caress waiting for it to recharge I have a space machine gun now.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I liked how the BFG in Blake Stone would blow up doors. It was a fun game.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Blake Stone and Corridor 7 were both really excellent.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Thanks for the weapon switching pro-tips, every FPS at E3 this year:

http://gfycat.com/EmbarrassedExhaustedAustraliancattledog

Still clearly need some UI polish for this, but I forgot how much the ol' weapon-switch radial is intuitive for most players.

Switching between modes (tactical, starmap, etc) is now on this too. The old way (scoping in and out with back/start) was pretty weird (and worse). This way also frees up a button. :dance:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kairo posted:

Thanks for the weapon switching pro-tips, every FPS at E3 this year:

http://gfycat.com/EmbarrassedExhaustedAustraliancattledog

Still clearly need some UI polish for this, but I forgot how much the ol' weapon-switch radial is intuitive for most players.

Switching between modes (tactical, starmap, etc) is now on this too. The old way (scoping in and out with back/start) was pretty weird (and worse). This way also frees up a button. :dance:

I dunno, personally that method always bothered me with how immersion-breaking it was. Perhaps it's because I'm watching a video instead of playing the game. I do agree it's very simple and intuitive.

Shotgun? Come on man. We both know that's a OG-FLC Flak Cannon.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking a fighter-sized Shotgun is clearly a Flak/Flechette cannon.

That said, you have to switch between weapons to fire them? Is there no way to fire everything at once?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Booooooooo.

To be more eloquent about it, slow-mo radials are a dark cancer, and I hate them for being incredibly useful and intuitive flow killers.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I dunno, personally that method always bothered me with how immersion-breaking it was. Perhaps it's because I'm watching a video instead of playing the game. I do agree it's very simple and intuitive.

Shotgun? Come on man. We both know that's a OG-FLC Flak Cannon.

It looks pretty nutso (good nutso) in VR, and it's a win for usability, and normal binds are still available for people who want to just hit 1/2/3 or whatever.

:dance:

Edit: Shotgun is just a quick change until I get the backgrounds scaling correctly. I'll change it back!

Edit Edit: Also, just tapping the button switches between primary/secondary like normal. You only really see this when you're switching to the heavy bombs.

Kairo fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 17, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
Problem solved already, good going Kairo.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kairo posted:

It looks pretty nutso (good nutso) in VR, and it's a win for usability, and normal binds are still available for people who want to just hit 1/2/3 or whatever.

:dance:

Edit: Shotgun is just a quick change until I get the backgrounds scaling correctly. I'll change it back!

Edit Edit: Also, just tapping the button switches between primary/secondary like normal. You only really see this when you're switching to the heavy bombs.

You mentioned previously you were working on some background stuff. How's that coming along?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You mentioned previously you were working on some background stuff. How's that coming along?

I've done work on a bunch of different types of backgrounds in the last couple weeks (skybox, UI stuff, etc) -- do you remember which one I meant?

It's been tutorial and usability/readability work for me all week since the footage. That stuff is a priority. The radial work is an outcome of that push, and I've managed to clean up the UI in some other ways. Like there is no more separate attack/defend/pickup order modes -- it's all just one contextual mode that looks at what the intended order target is.

The game just kind of dumps you into it, which is intentional. It sucks to have to work up to the interesting parts of some replayable games. For example, with the original Geometry Wars, the early stuff quickly became a huge chore once you got moderately decent at it.

The downside to this approach is that I need to teach you most of it up front since I don't have a traditional campaign to drip-feed mechanics to you and hold your hand. It can get pretty dense, so it's just a matter of iterating on the tutorials until they are concise and not obnoxious. Once you finish it, it defaults to off in the campaign setup menu.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
I've heard a fair number of goons complain over the years about radial weapon selectors being flow-breaking, and it's funny how none of them ever mention how flow-breaking it is to be awkwardly scrolling through weapons while someone shoots your face off or a golden opportunity slips through your fingers. They're also no more immersion-breaking than, in this case, being able to pause and zoom out to see the entire battlefield at a moment's notice. To each their own taste, but gently caress anybody who says radial selections shouldn't exist, they're incredibly useful and intuitive. :argh:

Having multiple methods available solves the problem for everyone, yeah. I even end up using both in games that have lots of weapons on hand, quick-select for my common favorites and radial for whatever else.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Actually I meant stuff like lore and fiction, like your shotgun name.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Cathair posted:

I've heard a fair number of goons complain over the years about radial weapon selectors being flow-breaking, and it's funny how none of them ever mention how flow-breaking it is to be awkwardly scrolling through weapons while someone shoots your face off or a golden opportunity slips through your fingers. They're also no more immersion-breaking than, in this case, being able to pause and zoom out to see the entire battlefield at a moment's notice. To each their own taste, but gently caress anybody who says radial selections shouldn't exist, they're incredibly useful and intuitive. :argh:

Having multiple methods available solves the problem for everyone, yeah. I even end up using both in games that have lots of weapons on hand, quick-select for my common favorites and radial for whatever else.

I totally understand where everyone's coming from!

The first game I worked on (Full Spectrum Warrior 2) sort of traumatized me about radial selectors because at some point during development we clearly had too many. It was toned down for final release, but man, I never wanted to see another version of that input again and probably repressed the idea of them mentally.

Edit: Beer -- I do all of that as I go. I have a pretty good idea about the background of the universe, with a lot of help from General Battuta, so it's just a matter of sprinkling it in where I can. The game will be really light on actual narrative, but story was never a big goal for me.

Kairo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 17, 2015

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I'm not too bothered about them either way but I'm wondering why there needs to be one when you have max three things to choose from.

oops, didn't see that you can just tap to quick select.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Banano posted:

I'm not too bothered about them either way but I'm wondering why there needs to be one when you have max three things to choose from.

oops, didn't see that you can just tap to quick select.

So why not copy Destiny and do tap/hold instead of a radial?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

SilentW posted:

So why not copy Destiny and do tap/hold instead of a radial?

That's how it was, but there were a couple issues with it in terms of a space sim (particularly my space sim) that didn't work well.

1) Readability -- Destiny puts a huge rocket launcher in your face when you do this, I can only afford to change a crosshair and some cockpit dash telemetry. So in the middle of combat, even with HUD changes, bombs start coming out when you think it's a machinegun. Putting it on a radial that tells you what you're gonna do before you do it is actually really helpful (instead of just expecting you to know what the crosshair switch and the dash displays mean).

2) It's nice to slow down time so players don't have to fumble with switching weapons. Lots of players clench their thumbs when they get put under pressure (we saw this with so many Halo focus tests), and making the clench slow the game really helps out. Switching weapons is not a super great skill check/mastery axis anyways, IMO, even if people get used to it eventually.

Edit: It's not a total slam dunk because it can cause a short aberration in your steering when you release it, so I don't need to keep this for heavies. But it really solves a lot of UI problems I was having when it came to switching modes (tactical, cockpit, starmap, in-game menu).

Kairo fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 18, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cathair posted:

Goons are old, for most of us our frame of reference for weapon selecting is the 1-9 keys. That's fast, doesn't need a slow-mo or ui popup, and has some similarity conventions between games (shotgun on 3). And it only works if you have a keyboard. Definitely for consoles & controllers radial is the way to go for any n>3 weapons, with a slowmo or timestop because radial menus are slow to make selections from. It does break flow, it's just much better than the alternative.

I think what people call out are games that force the UI all the time. Good example would saint's row 3 & 4 for PC, where you still got the radial & timestop when using the mousewheel to select weapons.

For ES, as long as there's the one button for the weapon switch UI, and the three direct-bind weapon buttons don't display it, everything should be fine. Controller users get one thing, people with joysticks or keyboards get the other. (Also with the different houses having different weapon systems, the UI might be nice.)

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
It boils down to what different people think of as 'flow'. For me, the flow I'm most concerned with is the action that's actually happening in-game, more so than my own perception of time. Having to take my hand off the movement keys for a half-second to reach for number 7 or whatever on my keyboard, while things are still happening around my character who is standing there with no input, feels more jarring and 'flow-breaking' to me than the alternative of pausing to control a radial. So, even though I come from the exact same old PC tradition, I like radial menus even on a keyboard.

The simplistic nature of a radial selector is important to minimizing how much of an interruption it is. Even I draw a line at having to access a full menu in the middle of combat, because it takes longer and more importantly, requires you to switch over to a whole other set of control knowledge to navigate it. A simple radial, on the other hand, barely requires anything in the way of additonal controls, so at least for me it's not enough to make me lose the 'feel' of whatever I was doing when I opened it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

burned

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 18, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Meh, I like frantically pushing buttons, though usually not more than two at a go. Glad I can if I want to.

edit: :supaburn:

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 18, 2015

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
I see that extends to the Submit Reply button.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Kairo posted:

Oh poo poo! That's awesome -- thanks for stopping by, Atarask. Diaspora gets mentioned quite a bit around these parts. :)

Well I've been really looking forward to this. Newman and I (Diaspora alums) are working on a space strategy game now, Lord of Rigel. Quite a different animal from a fighter game.

Since there's a fighter sized flak cannon any chance for a fighter sized beam cannon? :)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
The obvious solution is to make a microphone required and have to say what weapon you want to switch to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I loving love slow-mo radial menus and I can't wait to glance around in the short slow-mo respite in VR!

• Locked thread