Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OhYeah posted:

A lot of quite wealthy people over the age of 50 have real trouble with anything remotely modern in technology.

My sixty-something PhD advisor had the worst typing skills I've ever seen. He was a full-on history professor so it's not like typing should have been something he was unfamiliar with, and yet... :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Slaan posted:

Jerome is a French name, and he is the sender, so I think it was bad knowledge of English rather than French? Or it could be both?

Jerome Valcke is French yeah.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

It takes a particularly lazy mind to translate "il y a quelques semaines" as "there are few weeks". All the warning signs were there.

That's just the level of English in France.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

My sixty-something PhD advisor had the worst typing skills I've ever seen. He was a full-on history professor so it's not like typing should have been something he was unfamiliar with, and yet... :stare:

A lot of older academics came up during the "dictate then get a secretary/grad assistant to type it out" days, and have been slow to move on from them (in those instances where they've moved on at all).

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB7CBxfRUaw

The epic music probably is the best part of this.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

A lot of older academics came up during the "dictate then get a secretary/grad assistant to type it out" days, and have been slow to move on from them (in those instances where they've moved on at all).

When my dad was in college(and he's only a little over 60), he'd pay someone to type up his papers for him. Typing was a secretarial skill back then, not something everyone knew how to do well. It took him years to really learn how to type at a decent pace.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Per Reuters, the Swiss have seized more IT data, including stuff from Blatter's office.

quote:

The Swiss Attorney General (OAG) confirmed that "FIFA handed over today seized IT data to the OAG".

A spokesman added: "As already communicated, the OAG has opened criminal proceedings against persons unknown."

A source close to the Swiss investigation said records from Blatter's office were part of the probe. The BBC said data was also taken from the offices of Valcke and FIFA's head of finance.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/10/soccer-fifa-election-president-idUSKBN0OQ0O620150610

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
If Blatter isn't a moron he probably covered his tracks.

I'm surprised he didn't just "lose" his stuff like the Russian bid guys.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

It takes a particularly lazy mind to translate "il y a quelques semaines" as "there are few weeks". All the warning signs were there.

Even if you rammed that poo poo through Google translator and took the first thing it spat out, you'd think common sense would kick in and go, "psst, it's a few weeks ago."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kurtofan posted:

If Blatter isn't a moron

That's an increasingly tenuous presumption.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Chokes McGee posted:

Even if you rammed that poo poo through Google translator and took the first thing it spat out, you'd think common sense would kick in and go, "psst, it's a few weeks ago."

Do we know who translated it? The person who translated it into English might not have been a native English speaker. Also, Google Translate spits back "a few weeks ago." Google Translate, due to the way the system works, is actually not super terrible at really common phrases like that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kurtofan posted:

With decades of blatant corruption permeating the organization it seems more likely that any attempts to cover his tracks are minimal at best. Remember that this started when a dumbass with a luxury apartment for his cats figured not filling taxes with the IRS was a good idea. Backing the Qatar World Cup to the hilt doesn't speak much for the ability to cover tracks any better by anyone in FIFA leadership.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kurtofan posted:

I'm sure there are laws about setting fire to multiple dumpsters.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I expect Blatter isn't a moron, but after decades of sleeze he is probably utterly complacent and sloppy.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
FIFA's communications director has been fired.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33099881

quote:

Gregorio told Swiss chat show Schawinski: "The Fifa president, secretary general and communications director are all travelling in a car. Who's driving? The police."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

El Scotch posted:

I expect Blatter isn't a moron, but after decades of sleeze he is probably utterly complacent and sloppy.

I'm not sure it ever occurred to any of them that accepting millions of dollars of bribes could land you in any trouble. I assume they all thought because FIFA is international no country could arrest them and they probably wen't getting arrested by the Hague.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Morrow posted:

This is amazing.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

According to this map of football fandom by county, probably the Steelers.

Fans of certain teams have certain stereotypes, and from what i've seen, Raider's fans can be found all the way to Seattle and they are deranged people. You might want to avoid someone wearing a Raider's cap.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Morrow posted:

Worth it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Fans of certain teams have certain stereotypes, and from what i've seen, Raider's fans can be found all the way to Seattle and they are deranged people. You might want to avoid someone wearing a Raider's cap.

ESPN has one of those 30 for 30 documentaries about the Raiders- it's made by Ice Cube and talks about the Raiders' time in LA and their style and influence on NWA.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ntan1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB7CBxfRUaw

The epic music probably is the best part of this.

:captainpop:

I love how Jack Warner, noted rich person in a position of responsibility, thinks that freedom of speech means freedom from criticism like a redditor.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Morrow posted:

This must have been his exit strategy. Bravo.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Morrow posted:

quote:

Fifa said in its statement that De Gregorio would remain with the organisation on a consultancy basis until the end of the year.

They're so corrupt they can't even properly fire him. :allears:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

RPZip posted:

Worth it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Murderion posted:

They're so corrupt they can't even properly fire him. :allears:

The issue may be that they can't find a proper replacement, because who's going to take a job as FIFA's PR guy now?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Morrow posted:

The issue may be that they can't find a proper replacement, because who's going to take a job as FIFA's PR guy now?

is Bagdhad Bob still alive

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ayn rand hand job posted:

is Bagdhad Bob still alive

Yes but not for much longer it seems.

"On November 7, 2014, Swedish newspaper Expressen posted a video of a terminally ill Al-Sahhaf in a hospital bed in the United Arab Emirates.[12]"

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Morrow posted:

Oh dear, it appears we've lost our second fiddle. Anyone here know how to play?

- Bandmaster S. Blatter, RMS Titanic, 15/4/1912

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Morrow posted:

It's a hard job, I know, but I'll write fawning press releases and give non-answers to journalists. For a price.

Call me, FIFA. Let's talk money.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That was a pretty funny joke. How did Blatter think firing him was going to look? :psyduck:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

SedanChair posted:

That was a pretty funny joke. How did Blatter think firing him was going to look? :psyduck:
He should've asked his PR guy!

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Interpol has suspended its joint "Integrity in Sport" program with FIFA.

http://www.interpol.int/News-and-media/News/2015/N2015-080
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33107591

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

So is this Interpol signaling their intentions that they want to go to bat in extraditing/trying these guys?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Some extra :munch: fallout on the side:

DFB (German football association) ex-president Theo Zwanziger called Qatar the cancer that is killing futbol a few years ago. Qatar finally gets around to categorically denying that it's cancer (but not the other thing :v:), and sues. Zwanziger hires the most expensive lawyer in sight, a former politician who has wrangled money out of the Deutsche Bank :smugdog:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

DeathSandwich posted:

So is this Interpol signaling their intentions that they want to go to bat in extraditing/trying these guys?

I was guessing someone in charge realized that they were running a joint program titled "Integrity in Sport" with twenty million euros of FIFA's money and went "are you loving kidding me". Per this article, that's an enormous sum in light of their annual budget.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

DeathSandwich posted:

I think this was basically set up so that FIFA could look like they were cleaning up their poo poo (and probably give a proper slap on the wrist to anyone who did something really dumb) without doing anything.

Only, too bad, Interpol's smelling all the blood in the water and realizes they don't have to or want to play nice anymore.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
To be fair, the way I heard the story, Integrity in Sport was an anti-match fixing program and FIFA does have an interest in making sure that no-one but them is fixing any matches.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
One thing I'm curious about is, could Fifa have continued to get away with this indefinitely if they'd been more intelligent about the countries they accepted bribes from? It seemed to me that from the moment they made the announcement, everybody was calling bullshit on the Qatar World Cup. It's just so obviously dumb and inappropriate, but I wonder if they could have just focused on extracting bribes from countries that at least made some degree of sense as hosts.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The DOJ investigation is older than that, but their absolutely brazen behaviour over the last couple of years has probably contributed to confessions, cooperation from overseas bodies, and the general atmosphere of jubilation.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

EvanSchenck posted:

One thing I'm curious about is, could Fifa have continued to get away with this indefinitely if they'd been more intelligent about the countries they accepted bribes from? It seemed to me that from the moment they made the announcement, everybody was calling bullshit on the Qatar World Cup. It's just so obviously dumb and inappropriate, but I wonder if they could have just focused on extracting bribes from countries that at least made some degree of sense as hosts.

Well, probably but they would have had to go back like 20 years and start being more careful and intelligent way back when.

Remember, this investigation started over two decades ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alkydere posted:

Well, probably but they would have had to go back like 20 years and start being more careful and intelligent way back when.

Remember, this investigation started over two decades ago.

I thought the investigation started a few years ago, but had accumulated evidence going back 24 years.

• Locked thread