Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm living in Japan again now and have no choice but to get a new contract and phone (my now unlocked iPhone 5S can sit around while I decide what to do with it), is the Xperia Z4 some hot poo poo that I should be considering? Otherwise I could go with just an iPhone 6 or maybe a Galaxy. I didn't see any HTC or Droid phones when I was out looking yesterday.

Yes, the Z4 is literally hot poo poo.

Just get an S6 or a G4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="446450141"]
Yes, the Z4 is literally hot poo poo.
Could you be more specific?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm living in Japan again now and have no choice but to get a new contract and phone (my now unlocked iPhone 5S can sit around while I decide what to do with it), is the Xperia Z4 some hot poo poo that I should be considering? Otherwise I could go with just an iPhone 6 or maybe a Galaxy. I didn't see any HTC or Droid phones when I was out looking yesterday.

Unless I'm missing something, I was under the impression that Droid phones are Verizon exclusive. If you're looking for top of the line the current top tier are the G4 and the Galaxy S6. The new Motorola is rumored to have ridiculous specs but it's still at the very minimum two months away, probably more. HTC really dropped the ball this time around and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're getting a very significant discount.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Samurai Sanders posted:

Could you be more specific?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ser-complaints/

154 degrees Fahrenheit

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="446450817"]
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ser-complaints/

154 degrees Fahrenheit
Toasty!

I guess I'll look for the G4 but I didn't see any HTC phones when I was out. If not, I need to decide between a Galaxy S6 and just a straight over upgrade to an iPhone 6, I guess.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Toasty!

I guess I'll look for the G4 but I didn't see any HTC phones when I was out. If not, I need to decide between a Galaxy S6 and just a straight over upgrade to an iPhone 6, I guess.

M9 sucks compared to the G4 or S6.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

SB35 posted:

Your Verizon moto x is unlocked, but you'll only get 3G (HSPA) because it only supports Verizon's LTE band.

It's really lovely that they pulled that on you. I'd send it back and leave a bad review.

Yeah, it's actually already in the mail heading back. Thanks for the feedback, thread.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
How in the hell did 154 degrees get to production??

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="446451870"]
M9 sucks compared to the G4 or S6.
I haven't seen any LG phones here yet either. Other than the inevitable Samsung, they aren't so hot on Korean electronics here.

edit: I was shopping for a refrigerator the other day with my Japanese colleague and she was like "for that price you won't be able to get a Japanese model, only Korean or Chinese...is that okay?"

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 12, 2015

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

If you do want a Sony, the Z3 or Z3c are still really good phones.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've been reading this thread and the rooted thread for a long time and just wanted to say that I'm still quite pleased with my htc one m8 developer edition and a Seidio m8 case.
It's literally my first smartphone but I found rooting and flashing Android Revolution HD and xposed, Etc. Fairly pain free even though I was trashed during all flashing. It may no longer be possible unless you use sunshine which I ended up doing. But I heard they're only like 300 dollars at Best Buy now and the speakers are awesome that case has a kickstand that's come in handy.
Two day battery ad blocking I could go on... I mean I paid almost $700 and I have no remorse contract free on Harbor Mobile I'm a 1099 subcontractor but I guess you don't need to be.
I finally got it fine tuned just the way I like it, I was mostly stock with a few experiments but now its just the way I like it. shows CPU temp kilobytes up and down, CPU speed Disabled 90%+ of bloat...
I see where you're all coming from don't buy broken phones out of the box but I could tolerate stock it's just more zippy this way and I can play youtube with the screen off many convenience saving things.
Also no ads or tracking less than my computer even and I'm quite the nerd.

Antezulu
Mar 18, 2015
I haven't been keeping up with Android as much lately, but I'm just looking for something to cycle through wallpapers randomly, or even just in order. Everything I find requires ridiculous access, like to my location and garbage.

Is there any halfway decent solution to this? I kind of like the default launcher on my Nexus 5, but I could probably replace it too.

I forgot I had Tasker.

Antezulu fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 12, 2015

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

Nice, might be worth throwing this in the root thread as well.

First, can someone else download it and make sure it works?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/06/reuters-blackberry-may-launch-android-device-with-a-hardware-keyboard/

Hardware keyboard die hards rejoice? Maybe?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Antezulu posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Android as much lately, but I'm just looking for something to cycle through wallpapers randomly, or even just in order. Everything I find requires ridiculous access, like to my location and garbage.

Is there any halfway decent solution to this? I kind of like the default launcher on my Nexus 5, but I could probably replace it too.

Muzei seems to be the go to app for cycling wallpapers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

Especially with the Landscapes HD module.

Antezulu
Mar 18, 2015

Desk Lamp posted:

Thanks for the quick response! I remembered Tasker, which was still installed. Just made it change to a random one on screen turnoff now.

Its always right after you ask that you figure it out.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I have 500 Firepaper and it's pretty awesome, in case Muzei doesn't tickle your fancy or whatever.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.firepaper.fivehundredpx&hl=en

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

the littlest prince posted:

I have 500 Firepaper and it's pretty awesome, in case Muzei doesn't tickle your fancy or whatever.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.firepaper.fivehundredpx&hl=en

You can actually use 500x and Muzei together so hurray!

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Skeezy posted:

You can actually use 500x and Muzei together so hurray!

What does it do that 500 doesn't, because 500 does exactly what the guy asked for.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

What does it do that 500 doesn't, because 500 does exactly what the guy asked for.

No idea, I'm just saying it's a feature lol,

"If you are a Muzei user, 500 Firepaper also presents itself as an art source to Muzei."

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Muzei does the blur thing and also supports Android Wear. I can't think any of anything else that it adds.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but my mother's been bothering me with phone bullshit whining at me to fix her phone and whatnot. Problem is she switched SIM to a new provider but her phone was locked to vodafone. She keeps asking me to root it or something and I'm not even sure if this is a problem rooting will fix, then again I've only rooted one phone before. I've tracked down a sim unlock code tool on vodafone's website and put the phone's IMEI code into it, which gave me an unlock code but it doesn't seem to work.

It's an old galaxy S2 i9100T. Should I root the phone then try the code again? Or is it hosed?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rooting the phone generally won't help you network unlock it. It should unlock with the code from Vodafone, maybe call them and ask?

Alternatively buy your mother a phone that isn't four years old, a Moto G or something.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Tunga posted:

Rooting the phone generally won't help you network unlock it. It should unlock with the code from Vodafone, maybe call them and ask?

Alternatively buy your mother a phone that isn't four years old, a Moto G or something.

That's what I figured, unfortunately the network unlock code just doesn't work, and I can't figure out why.

I would buy her a new phone if I had money to be throwing around, I'm pretty broke myself. My phone is just a basic cheap kogan so it's not like I'm yucking it up with an S6 or something.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

cat doter posted:

That's what I figured, unfortunately the network unlock code just doesn't work, and I can't figure out why.

Take it into a store and have them figure out why.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
My god people are acting like Motorola and Verizon teamed up and murdered their families over this whole update on the Turbo over at the Motorola owners forum.

Still waiting on the people starting some kind of lawsuit. That will be funny.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ninmeister posted:

My god people are acting like Motorola and Verizon teamed up and murdered their families over this whole update on the Turbo over at the Motorola owners forum.

Still waiting on the people starting some kind of lawsuit. That will be funny.

HEY VERIZON???? CAN YOU SPELL "CLASS ACTION" :allears:

honestly though I will never again buy a carrier exclusive phone and will now most definitely move to a BYOD plan (Cricket, most likely) sometime after the new 2015 phones come out

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

this_is_hard posted:

honestly though I will never again buy a carrier exclusive phone and will now most definitely move to a BYOD plan (Cricket, most likely) sometime after the new 2015 phones come out

This is kind of where I'm at too. I bought my Turbo outright to keep unlimited data and my options open. If this thing isn't updated by the time the next wave of phones is out I might just Craigslist it and jump ship to Cricket or something. I'm tired of carriers having influence over software.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Man, Verizon may be the legitimate worst carrier in terms of lock-in and snowflake builds (sprint's still worst when it comes to service quality) but subscribers have zero ground to complain about the shitbath they dove into when they signed up. Maybe 6-8 years ago when things were still really new, but now they're like a kid who's still shocked when he places his blackened, charred nub of a hand on a hot stove and it burns.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Man, Verizon may be the legitimate worst carrier in terms of lock-in and snowflake builds (sprint's still worst when it comes to service quality) but subscribers have zero ground to complain about the shitbath they dove into when they signed up. Maybe 6-8 years ago when things were still really new, but now they're like a kid who's still shocked when he places his blackened, charred nub of a hand on a hot stove and it burns.

I've been on Verizon since I was still on my parents plan, but youre more or less right. They're so obsessed with the "Verizon Experience" that they micromanage every.single.loving.thing and the result is the Droid Turbo.

I also needed absolute rock solid reception basically all day for my previous job, but I now live in DC and have an office job and use WIFI most of the day so i'm more than ready to jump ship to a MVNO.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Cricket is cool and good! 20gb for 55$ a month? :getin:

(yes I know it's speed capped)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Biggest issue for me is if I port away from VZW, I lose a pretty hefty bundling discount on my FiOS that offsets any service savings (since I'm still on a legacy unlimited plan) and their coverage is still unparalleled. So, jumping ship to another carrier means I have to re-evaluate more than my cell service. Cricket would probably be 'good enough' as far as coverage goes for me and being speed capped wouldn't be a huge deal, but I don't know that i would save any money overall.

T-Mobile is just a complete and total non-starter. Maybe if they succeed in having a deal with Dish to utilize their spectrum and then build like mad they'll become viable, but for now it just won't work for me.

The Turbo, at the end of the day, really isn't hosed with at all from Verizon for the most part. The payload of uninstallable (but can be disabled) apps is a whopping 200mb and a clumsy factory worker could count on one hand the number of apps that can't be at least disabled.

VoLTE is the real issue right now. It will be interesting to see how things pan out over the next 3-5 years as the CDMA2000 network is phased out completely.

N6 shows that a fully universal phone is possible, so hopefully more manufacturers will follow suit and then it really won't matter what your carrier is.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 12, 2015

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
It's 2015, people should stop obsessing over updates and realize their phone works just fine already . Just use your phone and one day be surprised by the notification to update.

All the people desperately refreshing the forums and hoping for download links to manually update their phones are hilariously sad. They'll be underwhelmed when the update comes and doesn't fundamentally change the way their phone works.

The funniest part is that this being Android, there's always a non zero chance their phone could end up worse after updating.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I've been out of the loop on phones for a while, and I can upgrade to an S5 for free. I'm on an S3 now with US Cellular, is there anything crucial I should know about the 5 before I give in to FREE SHINY GIZMO?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Capn Beeb posted:

I've been out of the loop on phones for a while, and I can upgrade to an S5 for free. I'm on an S3 now with US Cellular, is there anything crucial I should know about the 5 before I give in to FREE SHINY GIZMO?

Yeah, if you're going into another 2 year contract free isn't as free as you think.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Oh yeah I'm aware of that, I'm just wondering about the phone :)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I've never had a non-Nexus Samsung myself, but hear the S6 was a pretty huge leap over the S5, which many had found disappointing.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Galaxy Nexus turned me off buying a Nexus phone or Galaxy device for a while but the Nexus 5 owned and the S6 I have now is pretty great.

The S5 is whatever I've heard compared to the 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Desk Lamp posted:

It's 2015, people should stop obsessing over updates and realize their phone works just fine already . Just use your phone and one day be surprised by the notification to update.

All the people desperately refreshing the forums and hoping for download links to manually update their phones are hilariously sad. They'll be underwhelmed when the update comes and doesn't fundamentally change the way their phone works.

The funniest part is that this being Android, there's always a non zero chance their phone could end up worse after updating.
Unless a security vulnerability is discovered.