Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Almond Crunch posted:

I recommend MMOs as a language-learning tool. So long as you can be bothered to write down what you don't know and go look it up / discuss the wonky grammar with a teacher.

Also, there's enough overlap between kanji and hanzi that you can get the gist of chinese text, no?

Yes and no, mostly it comes down to "I know what the kanji itself means so I can make a guess but it's not always right"

Also since the last time kanji was imported from china was a long long time ago, Japanese uses more katakana to use foreign words in places where Chinese continues to use hanzi which means that more modern words don't line up with meanings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

This is me playing a game where I don't understand the language

Grithok there is a rabbit on my map. What does the rabbit do Grithok?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Grithok!!!!!!

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

What is this Grithok???

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

:rip: Hyc

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Haquer posted:

I'm slowly learning japanese but I'm definitely not going to dive into anything like an MMO with the very basic knowledge I have

I mean, I played PSO2 but a lot of nerds over the world translate the game and made an amazing English patch for it so that didn't really count

Here is the most important things you can know in gundam online

ザクⅠ - Zaku I
ザクⅡ - Zaku II
ザクⅡF型 - Some sort of Zaku II

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Here is the most important things you can know in gundam online

ザクⅠ - Zaku I
ザクⅡ - Zaku II
ザクⅡF型 - Some sort of Zaku II

You forgot the other important thing.

ジークジオン!! ジークジオン!!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Lol Almond I think someone changed the password on the account you gave me. Probably should have taken it down when I got it. Could you reset it? I got PMs working now.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
I googled Jiiku Jion and all I see is FF14 poo poo

What's the joke?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Take german and make it fit into the japanese alphabet.

It gets pretty messed up

https://youtu.be/VaCpbwkNR0w?t=196

If I say hello in my japanese guild they will say kon or herro back

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Haquer posted:

I googled Jiiku Jion and all I see is FF14 poo poo

What's the joke?

that someone put it as their character name I guess

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Take german and make it fit into the japanese alphabet.

It gets pretty messed up

And now I see

And this is why I hate katakana

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
What you think kanji is any better?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Pavlov posted:

What you think kanji is any better?

For reading things quickly/gleaning the meaning of a sentence at a glance kanji is amazing, and it's not so bad when you start learning them. (Biggest problem is kanji having multiplw readings tbh)

Katakana is used for foreign loan words and gives no indication of language. Also you run into shi with tenten meaning "ji" or "zi" replacements and you can see how

Jiiku Jion
and
Zieg Zeon

got confused (hard k for the g threw me off as well)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Katakana lets you know immediately that what you're looking at probably isn't normal japanese. That's a step up from most languages for transliteration purposes. Kanji is just really shoehorned into the language. Even the japanese seem to get that. There's a reason they gloss their kanji with kana so much.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i dont know what these things are

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Pavlov posted:

Katakana lets you know immediately that what you're looking at probably isn't normal japanese. That's a step up from most languages for transliteration purposes. Kanji is just really shoehorned into the language. Even the japanese seem to get that. There's a reason they gloss their kanji with kana so much.

Kanji was in fact a late addition but it's a part of the language just like hirigana/katakana now.

Also kanji doesn't always form full words/tenses/etc which is why the written language is a mix of kanji/hirigana for Japanese words.

What I'm saying is, Japanese is a bitch but at least it's not tonal

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Haquer posted:

Kanji was in fact a late addition but it's a part of the language just like hirigana/katakana now.

Almost got me to correct you on language history there. Sperg trap avoided.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Pavlov posted:

Almost got me to correct you on language history there. Sperg trap avoided.

(Yes I'm aware that hirigana and katakana are derived from Kanji :twisted:)

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Last night Pavlov used expression in his voice. It was amazing

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Last night I had half a bottle of tequila.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
I've been partial to Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey whiskey lately

Delicious

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haquer posted:

I've been partial to Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey whiskey lately

Delicious

this owns

so does southern comfort

lately ive been on a vodka kick

deep eddys and titos own

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Eonwe posted:

this owns

so does southern comfort

lately ive been on a vodka kick

deep eddys and titos own

Why are you people not drinking scotch?

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Dirk the Average posted:

Because good scotch is expensive and bad scotch is disgusting?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Dirk the Average posted:

Because I drink bourbon.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I'm a rebel. I drink mineral water.

Yeah, that's right. I drink rocks for breakfast!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I bought some 10 grain healthy-as-all-get-out porridge and I was like "today's the day I will take 3 minutes out of my morning and eat breakfast"

Then I drank coffee for breakfast instead

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
your avatar makes me happy whenever i see it

plob

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

angerbeet posted:

I bought some 10 grain healthy-as-all-get-out porridge and I was like "today's the day I will take 3 minutes out of my morning and eat breakfast"

Then I drank coffee for breakfast instead

I tried to send you pictures of that fat canadian you love but your pm box is full since you ain't got no star no more

and you got less pictures of fat canadians

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm not going through hundreds of PMs for any fat Canadian, including myself

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
The plot thickens

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

angerbeet posted:

I'm not going through hundreds of PMs for any fat Canadian, including myself

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

To whoever hijacked the account I was using: You didn't even delete my character. I am very disappointed in your performance.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Pavlov posted:

To whoever hijacked the account I was using: You didn't even delete my character. I am very disappointed in your performance.

You got me

http://www.wikihow.com/Lie

Hy_C fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 13, 2015

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

Pavlov posted:

It's one character per server during beta. There's a good chance our pirate didn't take the time to check every server to maliciously delete your character.

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..
Oh, right, I made a TianXiang and a Tang.

TianXiang is almost a copy of pretty girl school. Their fighting is not the same though; Pretty Girl school was all about dodging like crazy and health regen, whereas TianXiang is about party buffing, healing and DPS.

What? A Healer/DPS combo? Yeah she is pretty rad, I had a hard time not picking her.

Tang is so cool. So so so cool. It is HARD to do well but if you are really ACE (like me), you can use your distancing moves and marionette to do the highest DPS while taking (almost) no damage. Since it's so hard, sometimes it doesn't work out and you die though. But hey, exciting PVE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Almond Crunch posted:

It's one character per server during beta. There's a good chance our pirate didn't take the time to check every server to maliciously delete your character.

Nah, they just played around a bit and used all the green orbs I got from the NPC duels which I was saving until I felt like translating what they did.

I've been playing beggar (gaibang), which felt kind of anemic at first, because it has exactly 0 ranged moves or pokes. But this just means that you get to be in their face all the time, which they're really good at doing.

All the different classes have their own unique resource systems. Some have a resource that builds up over time and you use it for some effects. Beggers have 2 resources, and you get both by punching stuff. Almost every skill uses either 'force' or 'technique'. When you use a skill of that type, it builds that gauge. When they hit some level (usually max), the next skill of that type gets a buff and does something new and usually consumes the meter. Your main single-target combo starts off with kind of a royal guard pull for instance, and your grab lets you poledance around their face. This and short cooldowns means you pretty much roll up to stuff and never stop pressing keys.

They're also really tanky once you learn to spit and swallow right. There isn't active guarding in moonlight blade that I can tell, just active dodging. Instead you have a passive guard meter. When you get hit, it goes down, absorbs some % of the damage, and keeps you from flinching. It recharges automatically, but if it get fully depleted, it has to recharge to full before being active again. Beggars though, have a move that lets you spit your booze in someones face, applying a speed debuff, then you dash out of melee, and the same move swallows another gulp, giving you a big chunk of guard back, and forces the guard active again. So you get close and faceroll, and when most classes would have to stop and kite, you're back in in a fraction of the time.

Also I learned that there are pets and you can breed them. I have no idea how this works other than that if you click on someone's name you can offer to have your pets gently caress.