Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I lack enough points to get a free S6, and the only Nexus phone I could get is the 6 :v: I know the 5 would be an upgrade over the 3 any way, I'm just wondering if there's any substantial glaring flaws or quirks about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

The funniest part is that this being Android, there's always a non zero chance their phone could end up worse after updating.

This problem isn't limited to Android. In fact Android isn't even significantly worse than other platforms at this.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The Merkinman posted:

Unless a security vulnerability is discovered.

And its not like Lollipop's changelog consists entirely of "Increment version number to 5.1 in Settings menu." It isn't unreasonable to be annoyed at how the Turbo update situation has played out. I would think most people bought this phone with the expectation that it would get at least average support.

Further evidence that no one should be surprised by Verizon's capacity to gently caress something up.

Edit: \/\/\/\/ It's poo poo like that that led to me buying this phone. I'd much rather have a functional but out of date phone than deal with Cyanogen garbage again.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 12, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I like my updates to receive extensive testing, unlike this nearly 2-week old issue in Cyanogen that keeps you from being able to dial 911

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Rastor posted:

but hear the S6 was a pretty huge leap over the S5, which many had found disappointing.
I've seen multiple reviews from non-sperg places like Consumer Reports say that the S6 is a worse buy than the 5 because it doesn't have water resistance and the removable battery/SD card slot. Then again, one of their points for the removable battery was it allowed you to reboot the phone.

Capn Beeb posted:

I lack enough points to get a free S6, and the only Nexus phone I could get is the 6 :v: I know the 5 would be an upgrade over the 3 any way, I'm just wondering if there's any substantial glaring flaws or quirks about it.
The 5 is fine. The reason to get the 6 now is because it will still be supported for the length of your contract and possibly still worth something at the end of it. But you're using a 3 right now so you're already used to that sort of thing.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

butt dickus posted:

The 5 is fine. The reason to get the 6 now is because it will still be supported for the length of your contract and possibly still worth something at the end of it. But you're using a 3 right now so you're already used to that sort of thing.

Word. I've always been trailing a bit, so that's fine :)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bandire posted:

Edit: \/\/\/\/ It's poo poo like that that led to me buying this phone. I'd much rather have a functional but out of date phone than deal with Cyanogen garbage again.

What does this mean? Any phone you buy from Verizon would come without Cyanogenmod

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I like my updates to receive extensive testing, unlike this nearly 2-week old issue in Cyanogen that keeps you from being able to dial 911

Isn't this the second time CM has this issue?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

kitten smoothie posted:

Wow, you are literally risking your own life if you unlock your bootloader. :monocle:

Never again.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Bandire posted:

And its not like Lollipop's changelog consists entirely of "Increment version number to 5.1 in Settings menu." It isn't unreasonable to be annoyed at how the Turbo update situation has played out. I would think most people bought this phone with the expectation that it would get at least average support.

Further evidence that no one should be surprised by Verizon's capacity to gently caress something up.

It's actually hilarious that people are angry about a phone update that in the end doesn't do much differently than the previous OS.

Also Cricket is a hot piece of trash. Good luck to the dudes claiming they will switch to it from Verizon. It's cheap for a reason.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It's actually hilarious that people are angry about a phone update that in the end doesn't do much differently than the previous OS.

Also Cricket is a hot piece of trash. Good luck to the dudes claiming they will switch to it from Verizon. It's cheap for a reason.

Why's it a hot piece of trash?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bandire posted:

You know it's perfectly possible to own phones that are both up to date and not running Cyanogenmod, right?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

RVProfootballer posted:

What does this mean? Any phone you buy from Verizon would come without Cyanogenmod

It means I learned to stop breaking my phones

DangerZoneDelux posted:

The people that are threatening class action lawsuits and harassing secretaries at Moto Corporate are hilarious. I'm just mildly annoyed.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm not really sure why cricket would be bad? Maybe he will weigh in

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Captain Yossarian posted:

If AT&T is fine in your area then Cricket will be as well. You get capped on speeds, but that's not the restriction it might seem.

They did have some issues with their proxy a few months ago, but those are resolved and they didn't affect everyone (never affected me.)

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

A bigger issue with the Turbo and why people are upset with the lack of support is currently the call quality is absolute poo poo. VoLTE is very broken and if you drop LTE for even a second your call will completely drop. The volume on the Turbo is very, very low as it is and if your signal isn't perfect it can be very hard to hear calls.

You can turn AC/VoLTE off, but then you can't use data while on a call.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'm on mobile so can't go into many details but issues like calls not being received by a Cricket user. MMS is hit or miss even after multiple attempts at getting them to mess with the apn settings in a store. This is in Houston where AT&T coverage is pretty good. I have worked contracts for all the cell companies here including their MNVO counterparts and it's really like they don't give poo poo on the service or lack thereof their customers receive. I felt like I was taking crazy pills explaining to MetroPCS clients that Tmobile no contract phones had been in way longer than the UnCarrier concept when they were confused why all of the Tmobile users were coming up as not having contracts. It's mind boggling since Tmobile owns MetroPCS too.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I'm on mobile so can't go into many details but issues like calls not being received by a Cricket user. MMS is hit or miss even after multiple attempts at getting them to mess with the apn settings in a store. This is in Houston where AT&T coverage is pretty good. I have worked contracts for all the cell companies here including their MNVO counterparts and it's really like they don't give poo poo on the service or lack thereof their customers receive. I felt like I was taking crazy pills explaining to MetroPCS clients that Tmobile no contract phones had been in way longer than the UnCarrier concept when they were confused why all of the Tmobile users were coming up as not having contracts. It's mind boggling since Tmobile owns MetroPCS too.

Seems like an MVNO issue, more then cricket since a lot of that was about Metro PCS? :) I guess I've never had an issue with mms or calls as a cricket customer. As a SPRINT customer, I had never ending problems.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I think your phone is broken because I've never had those issues on Cricket.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think your phone is broken because I've never had those issues on Cricket.

Cool man I'm glad it works for you. "My phone" was not my phone and a few hundred being sampled for marketing research. That apn store issue I mentioned was from a customer shop along study.

Since I try to understand the issues on consumer level I also made my wife use it. Kind of an rear end in a top hat thing to do but she doesn't really care about "gadget culture" I remember that proxy issue since data ceased to function for a couple of days.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/motorola-droid-turbo/simulator/

:allears:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

this_is_hard posted:

if you drop LTE for even a second your call will completely drop.

That's not something that can be patched out. That's the nature of the system. You cannot handoff calls from LTE to CDMA.

I really don't have any issues with call quality at all honestly.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

drat, if they had this back when I sold phones I would have saved so much time teaching people poo poo. That's an awesome little tool.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Big Red Tolling Again posted:

Last Modified: 06/11/2015 to Android 5.1

Took me a little while to find it this time haha

I can't wait for people to start frothing at the mouth over this.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Lblitzer posted:

drat, if they had this back when I sold phones I would have saved so much time teaching people poo poo. That's an awesome little tool.

It is but the point was that it says updated to Android 5.1 on 6/11/15, and the entire UI of the phone is Lollipop.

Turbo users are having about the 50th meltdown this week on the Motorola owners forum and on Twitter

:getin:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

That Android Police guy's source must be like, "Oh, I thought we were talking about the website! Classic mix up!"

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Mogomra posted:

That Android Police guy's source must be like, "Oh, I thought we were talking about the website! Classic mix up!"

In his defense, it definitely does look like Verizon/Motorola had planned this week for an update. Something (almost assuredly VoLTE/AC related) is loving up and causing a delay.

I really don't understand why they haven't communicated anything regarding this. No one is expecting them to make ~promises~ but just some information every few weeks/months surely is warranted at this point, the phone has been out since October of last year

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

this_is_hard posted:

I really don't understand why they haven't communicated anything regarding this. No one is expecting them to make ~promises~ but just some information every few weeks/months surely is warranted at this point, the phone has been out since October of last year

It seems like there have been rare cases where updates have either been way delayed (remember ICS for the Thunderbolt coming out in 2013?) or worse. The radio silence seems like a good CYA maneuver there.

There's a reason why at just about every company I've worked for, when we communicate future product plans to a customer or prospective customer, there's a big disclaimer. This is for general information only, not to be used as basis for purchasing decisions, and in no way are we making any commitment to deliver anything we mentioned, or doing it by any date we mentioned.

Alternately, you keep your mouth shut and then nobody can take anything you've said as a commitment and sue you over it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Sometimes app updates will get stuck in the downloading phase, before it even shows how many megabytes out of however many. Why does this happen (I'm not changing connections), and us there anything to do bait it other than stop the updates and restart them?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

hooah posted:

Sometimes app updates will get stuck in the downloading phase, before it even shows how many megabytes out of however many. Why does this happen (I'm not changing connections), and us there anything to do bait it other than stop the updates and restart them?

I get this occasionally and I think it's usually because an app has changed permissions but the pop-up to accept or decline the update doesn't show for some reason. Then the chain of updates is in limbo until you start the process over and verify whether or not you approve of the permissions.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those with the LG G4, how are you liking it? Saw one on display tonight at Best Buy, its tempting to move on from Nexus 4.

Also, Best Buy is giving a $100 gift card with the LG G4 and that can be combined with LG's promo for free SD card and extra battery, plus charging cradle. Hmmmmmm.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 13, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skeezy posted:

The Galaxy Nexus turned me off buying a Nexus phone or Galaxy device for a while but the Nexus 5 owned and the S6 I have now is pretty great.

The S5 is whatever I've heard compared to the 6.

Same but replace "Nexus" with "Samsung."

Samsung seems like they always hide some nugget of poo poo in their UX or hardware or something.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Can I ask what my benefits of sticking with Android over going to an iOS device is without causing issues?

I like Android, but increasingly little issues - updates (which Apple is doing better and better at), performance, and the inability to get decent battery life from a medium-sized phone - are starting to get irritating.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Can I ask what my benefits of sticking with Android over going to an iOS device is without causing issues?

I like Android, but increasingly little issues - updates (which Apple is doing better and better at), performance, and the inability to get decent battery life from a medium-sized phone - are starting to get irritating.

Nothing wrong with IOS as long as you like the apple ecosystem and dont want to change your default mail client, browser, or maps program.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

IuniusBrutus posted:

Nothing dude.

iPad even has FTL on it.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!
Just copped a nexus 6. Glad to be back on the android platform. iOS was meh.

Am I missing something or does the native 5.1 messenger not support animated gifs over SMS? A setting perhaps?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

For those with the LG G4, how are you liking it? Saw one on display tonight at Best Buy, its tempting to move on from Nexus 4.

Also, Best Buy is giving a $100 gift card with the LG G4 and that can be combined with LG's promo for free SD card and extra battery, plus charging cradle. Hmmmmmm.

Very very good camera, very good battery, mostly inoffensive software if you install Google Now Launcher and Google Keyboard. If the size is OK with you, I'd personally go with it over a Galaxy S6 or HTC.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Yo relock your bootloader if you're selling your phone. its like one command line over ADB.

I bought a moto x off of ebay a few months ago and just got the notification to update to 5.1, so i did. then it gave me an ominous warning screen that my bootloader was unlocked and i thought it had bricked my phone cause the warning screen isn't responsive to user input

I never hosed with custom firmware cause ~it actually worked out of the box~ so i have no clue why the nerdlinger that had it before me did it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Can you relock your bootloader on OEM-unlocked devices? I thought that was a Nexus- and GPE-only thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Can you relock your bootloader on OEM-unlocked devices? I thought that was a Nexus- and GPE-only thing.

You can in a lot of cases because security wise it's important to be able to do so.

But I could have sworn that on the Moto X/G the ominous warning message appears for good even if you relock.