Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

I pick flowers and herbs if I'm running by (I can hit 'e' and space real quick so I don't even stop running) but I don't go out of my way. The common poo poo like that you can always just buy and it's never very expensive (especially in comparison to how much gold you end up having).

Yeah I guess my main point is it's perfectly safe to skip picking flowers and looting random houses. You're not going to find unique special items that way, you don't need a continuous stream of alchemy reagents to replenish your consumables (alcohol does that), and there is absurdly more low level crafting junk than you will ever use.

Edit: yes Buckthorn I think might be the only herb you can't get from a vendor. After about level 20 I had enough cash I just didn't even bother picking herbs, they're cheap enough it only costs 50-100 max to buy the herbs for an Alchemy item from a vendor.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Spiky Ooze posted:

The Witcher Adventure Game is on sale on steam for 4 bucks. Anyone play it before?

It's pretty fun, even against the AI. $4 is a good price for it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Thanks y'all! :)

Yeah, the biggest relief is that there's not that "oh you didn't collect enough X before event Y so lol you didn't get this super rare thing" poo poo RPGs do. I guess all those FF games I played as a kid taught me to always assume there's some amazing sword or something hidden immediately that will get me through the first hour or two like nothing. lol. Similarly, with crafting, I just assumed picking up as much as possible would be best but it's good to know that that's not necessary either.

I'm definitely gonna read the compendium because I really have no idea who any of these people are. I also told the game to simulate a W2 save because a quick google said it gives me an extra cutscene or some poo poo. I hope that was a good decision.

Is it like other RPGs where it's better to just min/max one class of skills or is it better to be one of those "mediocre at everything" types of deals?

The potion stuff seems fun as hell, but I'm definitely gonna only put cheap poo poo on the quick use buttons. I definitely already fat fingered it trying to draw my sword and ate some bread or whatever.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

witcher 2 is $2.99 on steam, which means I bought it. the real question now is..when am i ever going to have time to play it. even a little part of a side quest in the witcher 3 took me 2 or 3 hours of playtime last night. i'll never finish this game

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ethanol posted:

witcher 2 is $2.99 on steam, which means I bought it. the real question now is..when am i ever going to have time to play it. even a little part of a side quest in the witcher 3 took me 2 or 3 hours of playtime last night. i'll never finish this game

Witcher 2 is a much shorter and linear game, I did a full play through over a long weekend just before 3 came out.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
My looting guide: If it's metal, keep it (ingots/metal plates/ore/etc). Jewelry, keep. If it's a skin, keep it (most sell for good change). If it's a non-quest actual item, leave it (candelebras, mugs, rakes, caskets, etc).

Basically, you're looking for shiny objects/raw materials and animal hides. Later in the game you can even quit the hides since you'll be rolling in cash, but being able to dump 10 bear skins at will in the early-mid game has meant I've always been able to grab all the formulae/diagrams/maps on the first visit.

Definitely keep any ingots or meteorite/dimeritium plates you find. You'll want to craft armor and weapons later, and the more materials you have the less you'll need to buy.

As for books, they weigh so little I just keep one of each. Geralt doesn't need to parry arrows; they can't penetrate through his book armor :laugh:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
On bomb crafting, like I said before I just entered Vizima, but I have yet to craft a bomb. You start knowing two bomb diagrams, don't you? Are the crafting ingredients around in the first area to make them, or did I just miss them? I was able to basically do everything in the first area except blow up the fiend nests because I could never make bombs. Oh, and I don't think I ever found the herbalist because during the griffin quest I apparently already had the buckthorn...

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Are there sick nasty sets of armor and weapons in this game? I haven't really played either of the previous witcher games but from what I understood witcher 1 had some gear, but not a lot, witcher 2 added a decent amount. Where does the third stand?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

On bomb crafting, like I said before I just entered Vizima, but I have yet to craft a bomb. You start knowing two bomb diagrams, don't you? Are the crafting ingredients around in the first area to make them, or did I just miss them? I was able to basically do everything in the first area except blow up the fiend nests because I could never make bombs. Oh, and I don't think I ever found the herbalist because during the griffin quest I apparently already had the buckthorn...

To make bombs you need saltpeter, the herbalist you missed actually gives you some. I think you can buy it from alchemists in later areas.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Are there sick nasty sets of armor and weapons in this game? I haven't really played either of the previous witcher games but from what I understood witcher 1 had some gear, but not a lot, witcher 2 added a decent amount. Where does the third stand?

A bunch of random loot which ranges from crap to alright depending on when you find it, 3 specific witcher armor sets you need to find and craft, and some dlc armor sets. The variety is large though you'll end up using one of the witcher ones anyway.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bob NewSCART posted:

there are sets of witcher gear that offer the best bonuses and look awesome, as well as plenty of different kinds of other armor to wear if you would rather take a slight performance hit a look the way you want

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also the Witcher sets are upgradeable. You buy a map from a merchant which starts a "treasure hunt" quest to track down the schematics for Feline/Griffin/Ursine gear, then you can craft it. There are then additional maps for higher-level upgraded versions which require the lower-level version as a component, so don't toss your set pieces.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah--if it's green, NEVER SELL IT. Even the starting armor; there was a tweet posted that it may get additional upgrades later.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Also the Witcher sets are upgradeable. You buy a map from a merchant which starts a "treasure hunt" quest to track down the schematics for Feline/Griffin/Ursine gear, then you can craft it. There are then additional maps for higher-level upgraded versions which require the lower-level version as a component, so don't toss your set pieces.

for the record i've got to the point where i'm crafting masterwork bear armour and, probably as a combination of me having such baller equipment, playing on normal difficulty and being fairly high level compared to most poo poo in the world, the game is barely a challenge most of the time. i'm in the endgame at the moment so i'll see if it improves but yeah might want to think of raising the diofficulty if you're thinking of poopsocking your way to high level witcher sets.

also all the witcher armours seem to converge on some grey mass of leather and chainmail; the base bear gear looks better than the masterwork poo poo for this reason. it's actually moderately colourful and the game engine renders cloth better than chainmail. a lot of the armours that drop (as opposed to only being available for crafting) are nice looking + colourful and probably make the game less trivially easy too

OAquinas posted:

Yeah--if it's green, NEVER SELL IT. Even the starting armor; there was a tweet posted that it may get additional upgrades later.

i've kept the base cat armour kicking around for this reason but there's really not that much point since i could pretty easily just recraft it with the schematics i've got. doesn't seem to be the type of game for item hoarding tbh, apart from the alchemy/crafting ingredients (and even then there's little need to rifle through every plant/container you see)

come to think of it the monsters guarding most of the masterwork poo poo are pretty much trivially easy once you're at the kind of level where you can actually wear it. really strikes me that you'd mainly want to craft it if you're on the hardest difficulty since you're pretty much a deathgod at that point on normal. kind of sick of the look of the upgraded bear armour and i'd like to try out cat again but not sure if i'm willing to gently caress up the pacing of the endgame even more pinballing across the map to get the enhanced schematics

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 12, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

JetsGuy posted:

Thanks y'all! :)

Yeah, the biggest relief is that there's not that "oh you didn't collect enough X before event Y so lol you didn't get this super rare thing" poo poo RPGs do. I guess all those FF games I played as a kid taught me to always assume there's some amazing sword or something hidden immediately that will get me through the first hour or two like nothing. lol. Similarly, with crafting, I just assumed picking up as much as possible would be best but it's good to know that that's not necessary either.

I'm definitely gonna read the compendium because I really have no idea who any of these people are. I also told the game to simulate a W2 save because a quick google said it gives me an extra cutscene or some poo poo. I hope that was a good decision.

Is it like other RPGs where it's better to just min/max one class of skills or is it better to be one of those "mediocre at everything" types of deals?

The potion stuff seems fun as hell, but I'm definitely gonna only put cheap poo poo on the quick use buttons. I definitely already fat fingered it trying to draw my sword and ate some bread or whatever.

Especially at first some of the generic skills are really worthwhile. Almost all of the skills are potentially useful, depending on how you play (although I never found any use for the crossbow skills or the skill which reduces damage while dodging). Just pick what looks fun and eventually you can experiment using respec potions. They're 1000 gold each so by the time you can afford them you will have a few skill points to shift around. Don't worry about picking wrong skills though, there's nothing you can do that will screw up the game (although bear in mind that there's a limit to how many skills you can equip, so if you go over three I think at the start some of your skills won't be used).

The only skill that I really kept equipped all game is Deception (first level axii) which I maxed out ASAP and used constantly in and out of battle.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm still mostly riding around the map doing side quests and not going too deep into the main quest but so far a short list of references I've encountered myself: Pulp Fiction, Lord of the Rings, Twilight, Asterix, Monthy Python and the Holy Grail. The game is so big that this doesn't take away from its atmosphere by the slightest.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Palpek posted:

I'm still mostly riding around the map doing side quests and not going too deep into the main quest but so far a short list of references I've encountered myself: Pulp Fiction, Lord of the Rings, Twilight, Asterix, Monthy Python and the Holy Grail. The game is so big that this doesn't take away from its atmosphere by the slightest.

i was frankly unreasonably excited when i heard geralt say "zed's dead"

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

Palpek posted:

Also quite a few Guy Ritchie movie references.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Fallout is definitely in there - if you go to to one of the scoia'tel camps, they say "war, war never changes".

Also I guess there are two pulp fiction references, one about zed and the other about the gimp.

I'm a big fan of the raymond chandler/philip marlow reference in Witcher 1.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 12, 2015

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

It's a material world, and I'm a material girl!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CD Projekt patching a chest for you to stash your poo poo at the Chameleon would be the best thing ever.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Palpek posted:

Is it too much of a stretch that I noticed that on the Isle of Mists, there were seven of the dwarfs (halflings?), one of which was sleepy, along with the "sleeping" Ciri?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Is it too much of a stretch that I noticed that on the Isle of Mists, there were seven of the dwarfs (halflings?), one of which was sleepy, along with the "sleeping" Ciri?

Not too much of a stretch at all, considering the universe.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah that one kind of goes without saying - dopey can be the one who fell. Though, uhh, I think Ciri would be snow white, the one with the dwarves.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

It's actually the basis of the story, though it's missing the zeugl...

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
It's probably also not a coincidence archaeologist (in crypt with vampire who's telling you to gently caress off when you wake him) is named Vermont Johns

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well I figured it would either be tenuous or blindingly obvious.

Also Zoltan is the best bro of all. To paraphrase:

Geralt: I know where Ciri is
Zoltan: Then why are we still here?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

OAquinas posted:

It's actually the basis of the story, though it's missing the zeugl...

One day Vesemir will listen to Geralt and stop bringing up the story about that time he hunted one while waist deep in poo poo. You know the story, the one Geralt never stops bringing up either.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Fight club is in there as well, also game of thrones several times.

horse racing should have had a fast and the furious references

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Is the Reason of State mission bugged? I finished A Deadly Plot, but there was no follow up, and interacting with any of the three people involved in that quest doesn't do anything. Granted I'm still relatively early in the game, but I've finished Triss's storyline and I can't figure out how to prompt the quest to fire.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Is the Reason of State mission bugged? I finished A Deadly Plot, but there was no follow up, and interacting with any of the three people involved in that quest doesn't do anything. Granted I'm still relatively early in the game, but I've finished Triss's storyline and I can't figure out how to prompt the quest to fire.

it comes later

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
This game has a lot of content to play.

After +100 hours of playing I thought I had reached the point where end credits would roll. But nope, after the "final" showdown and 2 boss battles later, you are free to roam and new story quests open up. Holy poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rolling Scissors posted:

This game has a lot of content to play.

After +100 hours of playing I thought I had reached the point where end credits would roll. But nope, after the "final" showdown and 2 boss battles later, you are free to roam and new story quests open up. Holy poo poo.

"Final Preparations" is rather poorly named. It's not the final quest umbrella before the point of no return. There's still more when you've finished up there.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

After the end I wish it wouldn't dump you straight back into the game at Kaer Morhen with a dialog box saying something like "Geralt's game is over but you can keep playing if you have to, scrub." All the cool people are gone and Geralt's just kind of alone there, going through the motions. I quit straight away because after the ending I got I really thought Geralt's work was done. After the credits roll you should be sent back to the title screen at least and that depressing dialog should only appear if you load the last autosave or something..

vvv bah, read between the lines, it says "game over, fucko"

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 12, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Ending Notification posted:

Geralt of Rivia has become a legend by ending the threat of the Wild Hunt. Now you can continue to build that legend through further gameplay and downloadable content.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

If you could go back to Day 1 and give yourself some tips what would they be?

1. Turn off the map, the sun is usually in the East so use that to navigate and the map is one quick flick up on the DualShock touchpad (your objective is one left stick click away).
2. Wear headphones and listen out for the clues, the sound is loving awesome.
3. Turn off '?' places of interest locations.
4. Don't use the quick travel thing - uncovering missions while taking a horse ride is cool. Discover poo poo, man.
5. Loot when it makes sense - Holding in Witcher Powers Looking For an Orange Glow and collecting Animal Pelts: The Game, isn't much fun.
6. Don't buy anything other than Gwent cards, weapon/armour repair kits or recipes/diagrams for items you actually need and will use (so you should know what it does). Pick up ingredients and break down items for materials.
7. Read what you pick up wherever you pick it up from, it usually ties in nicely to the scene and whatever's going on at that time.
8. Put points into the Jedi Mindtrick power ASAP, makes some conversations easier and you get XP points for using it!
9. Any conversation option in yellow pretty much ends that point of conversation, white options mean you learn a bit more & could lead to fun if not more coin.
10. Run away and meditate when poo poo gets real, it may be the pussies way out but it beats loading time.
11. When your Gwent opponent starts playing his big cards, play your poo poo ones then pass when you think he's used em all. Kick the cunts head in with your better cards the next two rounds.
12. Save. Save often. Keep old saves you made before big moments.
13. Right stick flicking makes inventory/shopping a lot easier to navigate - flick it to move across the screen to the merchant, or up to a different filter of your items.

Any tips on my tips? Or more tips?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

BisonDollah posted:

Any tips on my tips? Or more tips?

These are all good however I'd add:

14. Pretty birdo. Byootifoo!

Might wanna add something about making sure to equip abilities in slots so they actually do something. A lot of players seem to miss that.

Also, crossbows are super effective against underwater and flying targets, don't discount them because of their uselessness against grounded enemies.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Loot monster nests after blowing them up, they can contain valuable materials. People seem to miss that a lot.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
If a vendor has one of something you need (like a certain ore or ingot), you can buy him out of them, back out, then ask to look at his wares again and they should be restocked.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
On the highest two difficulties, you do not regenerate HP by meditating. If you are on BBB or DM mode, I recommend taking Sun and Stars as your first ability, it's not exciting but will give you continuous HP regen while riding or running around. Otherwise you will find yourself eating a ton of food and gobbling Swallow potions to stay topped off, and that will get expensive on your early game budget. Eventually S & S becomes irrelevant and you can respec into something else but it's one ability point so whatever.

Edit: you will probably be more starved for ability slots than points assuming you're exploring a bit and picking up Places of Power. So don't stress out too much about how to invest your points, you can always respec too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Can someone mod the price of booze so it doesn't cost a hojillion crowns? Why the gently caress is a bottle of Nilfgaardian Lemon *94* gold pieces? With prices this high on alcohol, what are all these peasants and surfs guzzling down in these taverns?