Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Poultron posted:

You're one of the few. I've started using them less and less except for myself because no one seems to loving use them. I don't care if it breaks when you jump there, I put them there to use! I tend to put them in "safe" locations back in our territory so they're not only less likely to be destroyed, but they're also much safer to use. I'll sometimes try to sneak one into enemy territory, but of course they can see them..

By the way, it's really dumb that you can see enemy beacons.

I'm not sure a lot of people realize what they're for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

raditts posted:

I'm not sure a lot of people realize what they're for.

I just figured the people tossing them at spawns were the ones going "hey what does this do :downs:"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lemming posted:

This is because nobody looks at the map.

Which is how I got into A+, by looking at the map, because I'm below average at aiming lol

What is it about looking at the map that helps your game, especially on splat zones? I find that I don't often have time to since I'm focused on either finding someone to kill or seeing who's trying to kill me.

Reiley posted:

That's some COD kid poo poo and it's thickly discouraged.

Yeah, it's lame as hell and the only couple of times I've seen it are from the worst players, much like people who do teabagging.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

My favorite beacon related thing was when I splatted a roller, waited a few seconds, then inkstriked their beacon just as they were jumping back to it.

Of course, I've also been on the other end of this scenario. :downs:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So apparently, while a Splatfest is going on, ranked and normal matches are unavailable. But people outside Japan can’t pick teams for this first one, so we can’t play Splatfest matches. Are they functionally just disabling the ability to play online for everyone outside Japan this weekend‽

So not fresh. About as un-fresh as you can get.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

raditts posted:

What is it about looking at the map that helps your game, especially on splat zones? I find that I don't often have time to since I'm focused on either finding someone to kill or seeing who's trying to kill me.

You can tell where the enemy is coming and deflect their flanks. You can also figure out what areas might be open that are safer to approach. You'll also get a little more advance warnings on ink strikes.

All beyond the fact that if people are spreading ink it literally tells you exactly where they are, which is useful 100% of the time.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

This is kind of embarrassing but I'm gonna be brave and post it anyways: when I'm in combat I don't use the right stick to make big turns, I'll use Y and the gyro. Usually I'll use Y to orient myself where I want to go and gyro left and right to check corners and look behind me. Sometimes in a fight someone goes around the side of me and I can pull the controller to the side and track them, but once I'm turned around like that I'm sort of stuck. I don't know how to untwist my arms and recenter my controller in my hands while still looking in that direction. In PC shooters I'd just lift the mouse and recenter it but since there's no way to disengage the gyro I have to spend a second pressing Y and pulling my arms forward again to untangle the knot I've made. Is there a better way?? I guess I just realized while typing this I could quickly pull the controller forward and hit down-y again to recenter myself. Anyways, that's my post.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Keiya posted:

So apparently, while a Splatfest is going on, ranked and normal matches are unavailable. But people outside Japan can’t pick teams for this first one, so we can’t play Splatfest matches. Are they functionally just disabling the ability to play online for everyone outside Japan this weekend‽

Just means my night-time PST matches are going to be few and far between.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Reiley posted:

This is kind of embarrassing but I'm gonna be brave and post it anyways: when I'm in combat I don't use the right stick to make big turns, I'll use Y and the gyro. Usually I'll use Y to orient myself where I want to go and gyro left and right to check corners and look behind me. Sometimes in a fight someone goes around the side of me and I can pull the controller to the side and track them, but once I'm turned around like that I'm sort of stuck. I don't know how to untwist my arms and recenter my controller in my hands while still looking in that direction. In PC shooters I'd just lift the mouse and recenter it but since there's no way to disengage the gyro I have to spend a second pressing Y and pulling my arms forward again to untangle the knot I've made. Is there a better way?? I guess I just realized while typing this I could quickly pull the controller forward and hit down-y again to recenter myself. Anyways, that's my post.

Just learn to use the sticks jeez

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Keiya posted:

It means that people with a japanese copy of the game won't be playing with non-japanese copies, not that only japanese copies will have games going on at all.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

This will be a weekend of two-digit pings. The night crew will finally taste the fruit of the day......

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Reiley posted:

I used to do this a lot too but I eventually started using the right stick to turn left and right and it's a lot smoother all around. That way the controller is always "centered" for gyro aim, which I think was the whole idea in the first place.

You can still use the Y button to quickly reorient yourself, which is really useful if you're on a low sensitivity and somebody's shooting at you from behind.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

I used to do this a lot too but I eventually started using the right stick to turn left and right and it's a lot smoother all around. That way the controller is always "centered" for gyro aim, which I think was the whole idea in the first place.

You can still use the Y button to quickly reorient yourself, which is really useful if you're on a low sensitivity and somebody's shooting at you from behind.

I used to use the stick for broad aiming but then I found that turning with both the stick and the gyro conflicted with one another and I had a hard time being accurate quickly, so I dropped the stick entirely from combat so my only X-axis aim adjustments came from the same one source. I do pretty well for myself with what's comfortable for me but the only hiccup is untangling my arms after turning too far to one side. I do use the right stick to tilt the camera when I know I'm in safe territory but I generally don't like the way the stick and gyro send mixed signals along the same axis.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
This game is fun even when I'm raging at constant losses. Spent the day slowly learning how not to suck with the .52 Gal Deco when I hit level 16 and unlocked the Duel Squelcher. Hello B-. We Meet again.

Seriously I love this gun so far. I usually dread the skatepark but with this gun I just sit on the little wall overlooking my team's splatzone murdering anything that comes in range and keeping everything covered in my ink. Meanwhile my team uses me as a spawn point and constantly rushes the enemy spawn, and I can easily help since I'm just a quick jump to the left before I'm in range of the entire left of the map. I also find myself with the spare time to look down at my map more often, which saved me from a few flank attacks.

Dunno if this strategy will serve me as I climb ranks but 5 straight wins with me at the top of the scoreboard makes me feel really loving good.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Sarrisan posted:

This game is fun even when I'm raging at constant losses. Spent the day slowly learning how not to suck with the .52 Gal Deco when I hit level 16 and unlocked the Duel Squelcher. Hello B-. We Meet again.

Seriously I love this gun so far. I usually dread the skatepark but with this gun I just sit on the little wall overlooking my team's splatzone murdering anything that comes in range and keeping everything covered in my ink. Meanwhile my team uses me as a spawn point and constantly rushes the enemy spawn, and I can easily help since I'm just a quick jump to the left before I'm in range of the entire left of the map. I also find myself with the spare time to look down at my map more often, which saved me from a few flank attacks.

Dunno if this strategy will serve me as I climb ranks but 5 straight wins with me at the top of the scoreboard makes me feel really loving good.
It's pretty tricky to dislodge people from that spot so no keep doing what you're doing it's all good

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lemming posted:

You can tell where the enemy is coming and deflect their flanks. You can also figure out what areas might be open that are safer to approach. You'll also get a little more advance warnings on ink strikes.

All beyond the fact that if people are spreading ink it literally tells you exactly where they are, which is useful 100% of the time.

Oh yeah one thing I forgot to mention - when you go from controlling the point to "wtf why are we all dead" it's usually from a good flank, so if you can stop those from happening, even if it's just you getting killed and delaying and getting your team to notice them in advance, it'll win you games. Good map awareness is insanely critical.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

When you take a point and the enemy is dead, do your cleanup from the fight to take it. Clean up enemy blobs of ink that could slow you down and cut off flanks with your own ink so if the enemy wants to take them they have to slow down and make a path first. Every awful loss I've had has been on a team that didn't do its housekeeping and left paved highways for the enemy to come right back behind them after taking the point. When you're not in danger use your ink as a roadblock to control where the enemy can come back.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Reiley posted:

use the right stick to make big turns instead of twisting around like a circus monkey

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Even though I don't own a Wii U, this game looks a blast. I eagerly await Activision trying to figure out a way to shoe-horn a ripoff into the CoD series.

I can already imagine a Exec frothing at the mouth and kicking down the doors at the Treyarch / Sledgehammer offices, flailing a wedge of paper covered in sales numbers, bellowing - 'PAINT AND GUNS! PUT IT IN SOMEHOW. NOW! NINTENDO CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONES MAKING MONEY OFF THIS!'

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

limited posted:

Even though I don't own a Wii U, this game looks a blast. I eagerly await Activision trying to figure out a way to shoe-horn a ripoff into the CoD series.

I can already imagine a Exec frothing at the mouth and kicking down the doors at the Treyarch / Sledgehammer offices, flailing a wedge of paper covered in sales numbers, bellowing - 'PAINT AND GUNS! PUT IT IN SOMEHOW. NOW! NINTENDO CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONES MAKING MONEY OFF THIS!'

How about instead of paint, BLOOD

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Crossposting from both amiibo threads: I have a spare 3-pack I'm trying to get rid of. $50, including shipping anywhere in the US!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

LethalGeek posted:

It's pretty tricky to dislodge people from that spot so no keep doing what you're doing it's all good

Unless you're not watching your back and you get flanked by a .96 Gal who slips behind you by crossing your team's turf from the half-pipe while your teammates are all up trying to contest the other team's zone. Got one guy last night by doing that.

Twice.

In the same game, which we won as a result. :smug:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you use your Bubbler shield and then two SMG users push you into a wall so you can't move, just tap on your Spawn and superjump away from them.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Bread Set Jettison posted:

How about instead of paint, BLOOD

'We've already got blood everywhere! WAIT. We're getting closer to sci-fi because people are sick of world wars and modern combat stuff, it'll be bright, neon coloured cyborg blood! CODE IT.' :lol:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I just figured the people tossing them at spawns were the ones going "hey what does this do :downs:"

After respawning to find two beacons on top of me, I tend to assume this. That or people are like me and sometimes press the wrong right trigger. :downs:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

jivjov posted:

Crossposting from both amiibo threads: I have a spare 3-pack I'm trying to get rid of. $50, including shipping anywhere in the US!

PM sent.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Finally, FINALLY beat the last boss with the roller. I am free.

Now to see what this Charger nonsense is about.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

And sold!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Good Splatoon fanart.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Is there a Bowser Jr./Nabbit scarf available in the game or is this person using artistic license?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

codenameFANGIO posted:

Is there a Bowser Jr./Nabbit scarf available in the game or is this person using artistic license?

It's possible. One of the brands in the game, KOG, is ultra-rare. I've only seen two pieces of KOG clothing on two different people out of maybe 100+ people observed in my Booyah Base, and never observed the brand in a store like the others.

More important to this discussion, however, is the fact that the brand is based on (distributed in cooperation with?) a real-life Japanese novelty/gaming clothing brand named The King of Games, so it's entirely possible that there's a KOG headgear item based on a real-life Nabbit scarf, if King of Games has such a thing.

EDIT: Conversely, if you live in Japan there's the very real chance you could get your hands on some real life Splatoon gear from the company, supposing the licensing agreement works both ways.

EDITx2: To be more explicit, I have Spyke getting me one of these I saw yesterday and I and at least one other goon have seen this one around in game, although I believe the goon didn't buy it when he had the chance.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 13, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there a resource that has pics of all the KOG gear?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Seems weird for KOG to be so rare when they're 1 star items with stackable abilities. :confused:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

dogsicle posted:

Seems weird for KOG to be so rare when they're 1 star items with stackable abilities. :confused:

Yeah, as gear they're worthless. Doesn't mean I'm not thinking about picking them up due to rarity. Hasn't been anything else in the shops worth buying since I settled on my gear buildout anyway.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah, as gear they're worthless. Doesn't mean I'm not thinking about picking them up due to rarity. Hasn't been anything else in the shops worth buying since I settled on my gear buildout anyway.

Why not just buy literally everything?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lemming posted:

Why not just buy literally everything?

Super expensive snails :smith:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I almost wonder if I missed one since I was skipping a lot of the cheap gear. But yeah, I've started to just buy everything for fashion reasons, plus you can rank them up if you really like the look. Other than Stealth Jump/Ninja Squid, none of the main-only abilities seem that great anyway.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I think there's only those two KOG shirts in the game right now as is, so that's why the brand is so rare. I can definitely see them adding more gear from the brand as we eventually get new stuff though.

I wonder if we'll get anymore Cuttlegear that's just NPC outfits like the one Sheldon wears or the ensemble from the ol' Cap'n himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

dogsicle posted:

I almost wonder if I missed one since I was skipping a lot of the cheap gear. But yeah, I've started to just buy everything for fashion reasons, plus you can rank them up if you really like the look. Other than Stealth Jump/Ninja Squid, none of the main-only abilities seem that great anyway.

Ink. Resist. Boots.

Also Cold-Blooded in Ranked.

• Locked thread