Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@RichSandomir: Jason Whitlock out as head of the Undefeated, replaced on interim basis by Leon Carter.Whitlock will stay at ESPN, mostly to write

lol

edit: in case you don't know why this is hilarious, here is a really long article on what a huge jackass he is:

http://deadspin.com/how-jason-whitlock-is-poisoning-espns-black-grantland-1698683962

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The Undefeated to subsequently be retitled the 2008 Patriots

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ehud posted:

@RichSandomir: Jason Whitlock out as head of the Undefeated, replaced on interim basis by Leon Carter.Whitlock will stay at ESPN, mostly to write

lol

edit: in case you don't know why this is hilarious, here is a really long article on what a huge jackass he is:

http://deadspin.com/how-jason-whitlock-is-poisoning-espns-black-grantland-1698683962

Holy poo poo he fired a girl he after using a letter she wrote for the majority of his column.

The Reason? Speaking out of turn in a meeting he didn't attend.

Jesus.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
What church do I go to to pray this means Whitlock can go back to Fox Sports and restart his Real Talk podcast? Please let him go back to Fox Sports

Chruch's Chicken

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ehud posted:

lol

I imagine Greg Howard's bedroom wallpapered with photos of Jason Whitlock.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
The articles on Whitlock are amazing. I don't read or even particularly care about hot takes and sports journalism, but enjoyed it simply because he's painted as this tragic figure that is given his dream job and turns it into his own nightmare. There's also a bit of schadenfreud since he's made out to be a self important rear end and there's ample evidence to back that up.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

lol

Great, great read. I had not followed this story at all, and this piece was fascinating. I can't stop laughing at the idea that Whitlock was so upset by the first article that he broke down and started binge watching 9/11 truther videos.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

quote:

Plenty of athletes and non-athletes over the years have claimed to have a direct pipeline to God. For those of us who believe in God but haven’t heard Him speak in an audible voice but have felt His nudge at a more vague and visceral level...

Mike Florio's amazing writing.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jesus that's just so bad. The syntax is near unreadable

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Jesus that's just so bad. The syntax is near unreadable

I tried to map out the clauses he was using but got confused. He is stacking coordinating conjuctions like a child describing Jurassic Park.

Nov 6, 2002

I think E L James might actually be Mike Florio's nom de plume.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
welp adam schefter posted jason pierre paul's medical records on the internet

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is anyone else like me in that when they read a story like the fireworks thing the first thing they do is google their wonderlic score (JPP didn't take it AFAICT)?

midwat
May 6, 2007

v2vian man posted:

welp adam schefter posted jason pierre paul's medical records on the internet

I know Shefter is just a robot built to report NFL news, but couldn't they have snuck a "maybe not?" into his programming?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pryor on Fire posted:

Mike Florio's amazing writing.

Direct pipeline huh. I must have missed the player that literally claimed to be a prophet.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Sash! posted:

Direct pipeline huh. I must have missed the player that literally claimed to be a prophet.

I mean, he did claim that the all mighty power in the universe decided to take a few moments of what is likely a very busy existence to make sure he knows NOT to have sexual intercourse with a woman until he mutters a few meaningless words. Dude's a loving whack.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

pangstrom posted:

Is anyone else like me in that when they read a story like the fireworks thing the first thing they do is google their wonderlic score (JPP didn't take it AFAICT)?

Pretty sure that's a QB thing.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

midwat posted:

I know Shefter is just a robot built to report NFL news, but couldn't they have snuck a "maybe not?" into his programming?

I mean, if he transcribed it from the image word-for-word, we wouldn't be talking about this. NFL reporters report on injuries all the time.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Chilichimp posted:

Pretty sure that's a QB thing.
It's more that nobody cares much about the scores for other positions / it's easier for non-QBs to opt out of the test. But yeah when they get leaked there are always plenty of non-QB scores in there.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Burger Trench posted:

I mean, if he transcribed it from the image word-for-word, we wouldn't be talking about this. NFL reporters report on injuries all the time.

It just seems that obtaining a confidential report (and possibly getting someone to break the law while doing so) should be reserved for more serious matters than "a player's injury status in July. "

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I mean, he did claim that the all mighty power in the universe decided to take a few moments of what is likely a very busy existence to make sure he knows NOT to have sexual intercourse with a woman until he mutters a few meaningless words. Dude's a loving whack.

Didn't they teach you anything in law school?:ughh: One of the Three Os is "omnipresent", meaning everywhere at once. According to most Christian dogmas, God even has time to sit here with me on the toilet while I type out this...... shitpost.:catholic:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

midwat posted:

It just seems that obtaining a confidential report (and possibly getting someone to break the law while doing so) should be reserved for more serious matters than "a player's injury status in July. "

Yeah, it was kind of jarring to see, I admit. But substantively, it doesn't compromise his journalistic integrity more than any other injury update he posts. Of course, his source is probably easier to find and more hosed than usual.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Burger Trench posted:

Yeah, it was kind of jarring to see, I admit. But substantively, it doesn't compromise his journalistic integrity more than any other injury update he posts. Of course, his source is probably easier to find and more hosed than usual.

It could gently caress his source, and it could gently caress people who aren't his source (maybe the wrong person gets blamed).

I don't see the picture accomplishing anything a paraphrase wouldn't have. It seems to be just a dangerous way to break nonessential news.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Now I kinda want a football player to claim to be a prophet.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Sash! posted:

Now I kinda want a football player to claim to be a prophet.

Close enough?

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

midwat posted:

It could gently caress his source, and it could gently caress people who aren't his source (maybe the wrong person gets blamed).

I don't see the picture accomplishing anything a paraphrase wouldn't have. It seems to be just a dangerous way to break nonessential news.

The hospital that record came from will be facing a (potentially) huge fine under HIPAA guidelines. The person who leaked this could also be facing a $50k-1.5mil fine.

Nov 6, 2002

turbomoose posted:

The hospital that record came from will be facing a (potentially) huge fine under HIPAA guidelines. The person who leaked this could also be facing a $50k-1.5mil fine.

But what if it was like some janitor who happened to snatch a photo with his phone when someone's back was turned? They can't account every scenario can they?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crossposting a great story Deadspin's "The Stacks" sub-page found about how former QB Ken Stabler planted coke on a beat writer

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

NC-17 posted:

But what if it was like some janitor who happened to snatch a photo with his phone when someone's back was turned? They can't account every scenario can they?

It might not even have been a hospital employee. Like Swickles said earlier, it is a photo of the scheduling board or whatever the gently caress you call it. At the hospital I worked at all that information was on a tv screen in the emergency room, which is visible to anyone who is admitted in the ER. It isn't that much of a stretch to imagine an admitted patient took the chance to snap a photo of it.

Probably an employee though.

Edit
I don't know if that will make a difference for a HIPAA lawsuit though.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

posted within 15 mins of each other

@ArmandoSalguero: I have it on good authority that the dolphins and Drew Rosenhaus have not even begun to talk about an Evan Mathis contract.

@OmarKelly: Spotted discussing a certain free agent OG (Evan Mathis) after practice today was Mike Tannenbaum & Drew Rosenhaus. LET'S DO THIS!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Armando has way more connection to both players and the team.

Why we aren't bringing Evan Mathis back to Miami in a division featuring three of the best defensive tackles in the nfl ok great

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Armando has way more connection to both players and the team.

Why we aren't bringing Evan Mathis back to Miami in a division featuring three of the best defensive tackles in the nfl ok great

I'd say the same thing about Seattle, but we don't have money anymore. :sigh:

Wilson would have taken less money so that we could get him an o line if he were as noble as Brady.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Ehud posted:

posted within 15 mins of each other

@ArmandoSalguero: I have it on good authority that the dolphins and Drew Rosenhaus have not even begun to talk about an Evan Mathis contract.

@OmarKelly: Spotted discussing a certain free agent OG (Evan Mathis) after practice today was Mike Tannenbaum & Drew Rosenhaus. LET'S DO THIS!

The way that's phrased makes it really clear that Omar was just guessing about what they were talking about. And also that Omar not grammar good

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
KSK is closing.

http://uproxx.com/ksk/2015/07/from-the-ksk-staff-farewell-mike/

This is horrible news.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'm devastated. I can get enough of a PFTcommenter fix from Twitter (and he'll show up somewhere else anyway), but how the gently caress can I go on without Fun With Peter King?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm devastated. I can get enough of a PFTcommenter fix from Twitter (and he'll show up somewhere else anyway)
He has a weekly SB Nation column.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

It would be pretty rad if PFTCommenter ended up on ESPN.

I don't know, bring back Page 2 or something. Give him Colin Cowherd's old timeslot.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If PFTCommenter took over Cowherd's spot it would be the greatest troll in history because it would make the people he's mocking his direct audience.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Spoeank posted:

If PFTCommenter took over Cowherd's spot it would be the greatest troll in history because it would make the people he's mocking his direct audience.

Honestly, how could you tell the difference. You can't hear spelling mistakes.

edit: Actually, that would make for a hell of a game. Real quote from a talking head like Bayless, Stephen A Smith, Cowherd OR a PFTCommentor quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

ESPN never got back to me about using their partnership with Disney to have :stat: and :wal: call games.

• Locked thread