Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Was Inafune out of work for awhile before doing MN9?

I'm hoping IGA having been stuck on mobile games will be enough of a kick to him to make sure he wants to get it out on time. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Like, you see it already and the campaign's not even over: someone expresses concern about the graphics, someone else replies with "shaders! Guilty Gear!" and that's supposed to be an answer? There is no way in hell this game is gonna look anywhere near as good as Xrd and I think Inti's already set themselves up for backlash by even allowing people to think that way.

I think in the end what everyone really wants for 2D games at this point is hand-drawn, HD sprites, or at least something that looks close enough. It's kind of the logical evolution of the old style, but I'm pretty sure at this point the number of games that use them can be counted on one hand.

I know it's expensive as hell, but with as much money as they have to work with, is it still way beyond budget?

Edit: Not saying that it's in any way feasible, of course, and I'm pretty sure it'd just be a huge setback, I'm more just curious about the cost of it all.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 12, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yo what backing tier gets you the Ayame Kojima art

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think it's the 100+ tier.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
$4,750,000 hit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A lot of the persistent complaints about MN9 are about how it doesn't look as good as they promised or allowed people to infer it'd look

While this is true it's a side effect of the general dissatisfaction with the way the campaign has been handled. That is why it has increased in pitch as people have been more and more frustrated with the campaign. "The graphics look bad" are something easy and (semi)objective you can point to and that tends to be the thing that happens with any fan dissatisfaction. If MN9 hadn't ticked off its fans you'd be hearing a lot less of it because people would either be willing to give flaws a pass or wouldn't be nitpicking every possible thing they can. The issue with hype is that it cuts both ways. Screw up and you get backlash disproportionate to your mistakes.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Well, it wasn't just the graphics that people complained about with MN9, but just how the entire thing looked like an amateur project. For me the biggest red flag was the level design, there are just so many stretches of flat empty nothing that seemingly just exists for you to mash the dash button through.

The way Mighty No 9 is shaping up to look has made me really nervous about Bloodstained and Kickstarter in general but I guess I can't help but give money to Iga after the series he's so passionate about was taken from him.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Honestly the only thing I got out of Mighty No 9 was that the internet will bitch about absolutely anything and you really should just ignore nerds.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
When you hear people complaining about MN9 you can tell that they read somewhere it was bad and they know they're supposed to be mad about it but they can't seem to articulate anything actually wrong about it. It's classic hivemind bullshit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I watched some vids of it and looked kind of boring, but then the only Mega Man game I've actually liked was the first X.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I don't follow kickstarter processes a lot, how much money do they usually lose from backers chickening out at the last minute?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Blackheart posted:

I don't follow kickstarter processes a lot, how much money do they usually lose from backers chickening out at the last minute?

Probably not as much as they gain from people increasing their backing when they are better able to guarantee they will have XXX dollars to contribute by the deadline.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It obviously varies project to project but the numbers I usually see bandied around is 10-15% lost to a combination of fees to kickstarter themselves and payments not going through. They'll also lose a good chunk to any physical rewards and presumably taxes.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Also wasn't Mighty No. 9 expected to be entirely backer funded, then they hooked up with a publisher and then demanded another kickstarter to fund the game?

At least with Bloodstained we knew from the start that a publisher was willing to back it, there just needed to be $500K worth of interest in an IGA made Metroidvania and clearly it far surpassed that.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think it's very obvious the whole "multimedia cartoon" thing is what soured people on the thing.

Also they keep using Kamiya's "He is a business man not a game creator" tweet which is kinda annoying.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Ben Judd confirmed that 5 million was hit.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/comments?cursor=10156412#comment-10156411

I guess... they need another stretch goal to capitalize on the last day frenzy? I can't believe they hit that with 10 hours to spare haha.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

Also they keep using Kamiya's "He is a business man not a game creator" tweet which is kinda annoying.

Well... he is.

Like this isn't a slight against him, it is something he admitted. He said himself in an interview that he considers the management of a game company more important that the actual programmers and devs. (This was his reason for hiring the Lost Planet 3 guys for Ninja Gaiden Z despite their bad previous performances.) He is a businessman and corporate executive through and through.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Wow. I even remember thinking at the start "they went kind of overkill with the stretch goals, there's no way they're making it that far."

Boy did I underestimate the igahype.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

arcsig posted:

Wow. I even remember thinking at the start "they went kind of overkill with the stretch goals, there's no way they're making it that far."

Boy did I underestimate the igahype.

I really hope it doesn't end up backfiring on them. 2017 is a loooong way away and there are a lot of goals to hit. Shovel Knight still hasn't completed most of its stretch goals.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, it just gets tiring to see that same tweet pop up whenever another new bad thing shows up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They could also just not bother to do some of the goals, ultimately :v:

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Last stretch goal should be IGA producing a monthly web series about his vampire hunter character from that one mega64 video.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That's his day to day life, that video was just a documentary.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

arisu posted:

Last stretch goal should be IGA producing a monthly web series about his life as a vampire hunter

I agree

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

"You said you'd fund 90%, right? Well here's the 10% we raised." :allears:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

If I remember right, Deep Silver was willing to put 5 million to the game so it looks to be around half publisher funded, half kickstarter funded.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

ImpAtom posted:

I really hope it doesn't end up backfiring on them. 2017 is a loooong way away and there are a lot of goals to hit. Shovel Knight still hasn't completed most of its stretch goals.

Wait, what? What else are they going to put in Shovel Knight? I just played through that and it was fantastic.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Zombie Samurai posted:

Wait, what? What else are they going to put in Shovel Knight? I just played through that and it was fantastic.

Three more full playable characters, for one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

There are three playable boss knight campaigns (Plague Knight is the first of these), a Gender Swap mode, a 4-player battle mode with all bosses playable and a Boss Rush mode with the same.

It is a fantastic game but it is missing huge chunks of promised content. It should be coming eventually but it's extremely slow at doing so.

MN9 at launch is also likely to be missing some of the promised content like the online race mode.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Backing Bloodstained felt so good

I've been jonesing for a new metroidvania for seven years now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

Go play Ori and the Blind Forest, it good.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Volt Catfish posted:

Valdis Story is pretty okay and on sale for $7.50 (50% off) right now on Steam (probably will be even cheaper later on during the sale).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
The $5.5 million stretch goal sounds neat:

Update 24: $5mm Achieved, $5.5 Unveiled, Ending Stream, 'Pure' Costume posted:

At $5.5 million you have the opportunity to unlock Boss Revenge Mode:
  • Control several different bosses
  • Utilize their special attacks to wreak havok
  • Explore a new BOSS REVENGE area
  • Turn the tables and defeat “Hero” Bosses in your pursuit of humanity's destruction
Can you do it? It may depend on how quickly you can recruit new members into your army.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

Play the La-Mulana if you haven't. It's way more puzzle-y, but still amazing. Currently five bucks on Steam, but it tends to go to 3 or so every sale.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Mirificus posted:

The $5.5 million stretch goal sounds neat:

I'd rather have that than a random castle, but I'm not in charge.

I wanna play as one of the huge boss monsters and just run around loving heroes up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Since they're apparently also including the paypal money, it might get hit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

Since they're apparently also including the paypal money, it might get hit.

Isn't the PayPal at like 300k or something? It seems like there's no way it won't get hit at this point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

Go play Ori and the Blind Forest, it good.
Since I haven't bought anything this sale I'm gonna blind buy this because god drat I want more metroidvanias after Axiom Verge (hopefully ones that are way less dumb). Better be good :colbert:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The Bloodstained Kickstarter final strech stream is up and running at http://www.twitch.tv/ffstv now.

They opened with showing a video of Iga putting the Kickstarter online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'd like to get the crystal-less costume. Only 3 hours left for one more cheevo though. Not likely to get hit, though the 5.5 mil might.