Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
God but the loving grind through those USN BB's make me want to choke the poo poo out of something cute and fluffy. The New York is a miserable pile of dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

demonR6 posted:

God but the loving grind through those USN BB's make me want to choke the poo poo out of something cute and fluffy. The New York is a miserable pile of dogshit.

You'll be happy to know that the New Mexico is worse! :haw:

Okay, it's not so much worse as it is a similar ship except in a higher tier.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, I have the NM.. it is a worse pile of dogshit but I am only halfway through the grind so I am waiting until done with it so I can say "Christ this was a bigger pile of dogshit than that last pile of dogshit!"

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
What? The NM owns bones. It's the only good US BB you'll see until the NC.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
The New Mexico is a great battleship. It's reasonably accurate, gets lots of citadel hits, and can take a beating. The only issue with it is speed. It's one of the few ships that can devastate even much higher tier battleships without too much trouble, as long as you get the drop on them.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I like the NM because it gets rid of that stupid middle turret.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

It's also got enough guns to be fairly sure of hitting something with at least some shells, as long as your aim's close enough.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

rossmum posted:

Also, AP works on destroyers in a pinch, since long reloads mean you can't always have the right ammo loaded when some shitbird pops around a headland with his tubes pointing at you. End-on AP hits in particular tend to make them pop in one go.

But shooting into their side lands in the ocean on the other side having done gently caress all damage. AP works on destroyers at plunge range too, but good luck actually hitting one that far out. My point was mainly that given a choice, you should be picking HE, but yeah don't go sacrificing a full reload cycle just to switch.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

AP shells will fuse on the engine spaces if you can hit them. It's a very hard shot to make with a BB but it is possible, I've done it.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Figured I'd try some carry gameplay in a Bogue.

I have the upgraded fighters, and the upgrades to make fighters more effective. My captain is not max level, however. Faced off against another Bogue, two squads vs. two squads, in wide open ocean. Didn't kill a single plane, lost two full squads.

He states he has a very skilled crew. Good to know that when you want to make it impossible for an equally tiered ship to compete against you, all you have to do is slum down with your "skilled" crew and become untouchable.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

jownzy posted:

I have the upgraded fighters, and the upgrades to make fighters more effective. My captain is not max level, however. Faced off against another Bogue, two squads vs. two squads, in wide open ocean. Didn't kill a single plane, lost two full squads.

He states he has a very skilled crew. Good to know that when you want to make it impossible for an equally tiered ship to compete against you, all you have to do is slum down with your "skilled" crew and become untouchable.

Carriers are a loving mess right now. They're not balanced well against other ships and they sure as hell aren't balanced against themselves. Am I crazy for thinking that they were a lot better before the IJN carriers were introduced? Granted this is only from seeing them perform, because I didn't even get out of the Langley before I wanted to kill myself.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

El Disco posted:

Carriers are a loving mess right now. They're not balanced well against other ships and they sure as hell aren't balanced against themselves. Am I crazy for thinking that they were a lot better before the IJN carriers were introduced? Granted this is only from seeing them perform, because I didn't even get out of the Langley before I wanted to kill myself.

At low tier carriers are really brutal, especially if you are in something that isn't a destroyer. I had a game in a South Carolina and teams were all tier 3 except a single tier 4 carrier on each side. I steered for islands, but its a BB so its not like speed is a thing. I see the torpedo bombers coming, I turn into them and actually dodge all but 1 torp. 2nd wave comes in, but this guy splits his bombers and nails me with 3-4 torps. I'm down to less then 5k health, rest of team crumples, I curse BBs for being slow and stupid. This is a edge case since both carrier guys knew enough to send everything at me, but even if my team had stuck near me, nothing at that tier has AA better then some rear end in a top hat standing on the deck with a revolver.

Above tier 5? Planes are sometimes annoying, but things have AA now and the spreads aren't tight, and half the planes in a run are gone before they fire anyway.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

El Disco posted:

I don't have much to complain about with carriers, but when my upgraded fighters can't kill a single fighter from a carrier that is the same as mine simply because my captain doesn't have all the skills trained, that's a major balance issue.

In the second engagement I managed to kill 2 planes, but that's only because they were being peppered by AA. I lost all of mine, again.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

El Disco posted:

I want to say that they really reduced the distance between the commit circle and the drop on torpedo bombers, but I have no definite proof other than the last time I tried to use torp bombers I kept dropping way too far and everything felt "off" when compared to the times I was doing it pre-patch.

E: I think they changed this back in 3.1.4 though

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 13, 2015

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Slogged through fourteen losses and one very underwhelming win tonight to reach the New York and the Cleveland.

What sort of mods should I be looking to put on these things? Are there clear standouts or is it purely a matter of preference?

Also gently caress torps, man, I want to shoot ships, not play 'dodge the red arrows'.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sneaky Kettle posted:

Slogged through fourteen losses and one very underwhelming win tonight to reach the New York and the Cleveland.

What sort of mods should I be looking to put on these things? Are there clear standouts or is it purely a matter of preference?

Also gently caress torps, man, I want to shoot ships, not play 'dodge the red arrows'.

For BBs you wanna go with main battery survivability and range mods. For CL with secondary range and accuracy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

jownzy posted:

Yeah, I don't see how that happened unless your squadrons were bugged, which does happen, having all the fighter boosting captain skills doesn't make a 10-0 difference

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Uhh why do people not like the New Mexico, I haven't played in a couple of weeks but last I played it kicked all sorts of rear end? Fuso is still the best though but the NM certainly gives it a run for it's money.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

rossmum posted:

AP shells will fuse on the engine spaces if you can hit them. It's a very hard shot to make with a BB but it is possible, I've done it.

Can someone tell me what "fuse" means? I have heard this term and even googled "navy shell fusion" with no explanation. Is it just anytime the shell doesn't over penetrate and therefore remains with the target ship?

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
When the shell hits a boat, it triggers the fuze. For armor piercing shells, it's set to a short delay to allow the shell to reach the innards before exploding. HE shells detonate on impact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armor-piercing_shot_and_shell

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Well okay then. I always for whatever reason just assumed AP shells didn't carry any explosives at all and simply used kinetic energy to do all their damage.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shalhavet posted:

When the shell hits a boat, it triggers the fuze. For armor piercing shells, it's set to a short delay to allow the shell to reach the innards before exploding. HE shells detonate on impact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armor-piercing_shot_and_shell

So basically it goes something like this:

*bang*
whooooosh
*smash*
wait for it... wait for it... wait for it...
*kaboom*

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Axetrain posted:

Well okay then. I always for whatever reason just assumed AP shells didn't carry any explosives at all and simply used kinetic energy to do all their damage.

Shells by definition carry an explosive charge in them, HE just means a lot of charge designed to explode on contact, AP and all non-sabot variants (APC, APCBC, APHE) are designed to penetrate before exploding, with a small charge to accomodate the size of the penetrator and cap

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

They stopped doing pure AP shells because the damage potentional was too small. Yes, a huge chunk of metal hitting a boat hurts, and the spalling is bound to do some damage.
But you need direct hits to do anything. That is why they put explosive filler in their shells. It was needed to bring down steel behomoths.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Yup, pure AP wasn't all that common around WWI/WWII - out of tanks, aircraft, or ships.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

rossmum posted:

Yup, pure AP wasn't all that common around WWI/WWII - out of tanks, aircraft, or ships.

Anti-tank rifles was about the extent of it in common use I believe

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

rossmum posted:

Well, they were still halfway common for tanks since a large piece of metal hitting a small piece of poo poo german tank still did a lot of damage since the spalling happily shredded the faces of Nazis apart.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

It depends. The smaller guns did use mainly solid shot but larger AP rounds tended to include a bursting charge (including most German AP shells).

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Well yeah, that is when they realized it worked a tad better.
But then again, tank on tank combat is a nazi fantasy. Tanks got destroyed by driving over a mine and then obliterated by AT grenades and other kind of weapons.
And then planes.
Also AT guns.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Michaellaneous posted:

But then again, tank on tank combat is a nazi fantasy. Tanks got destroyed by driving over a mine and then obliterated by AT grenades and other kind of weapons.
And then planes.
Also AT guns.

I'm curious, where did you get this information from?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Rakthar posted:

I'm curious, where did you get this information from?

I talk out of my rear end and shitpost a lot, and when people agree and tell me I am right I keep saying it.

It makes me look smart.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Leading causes of tank death, in rough order:

- mechanical failure (especially for German and British tanks and early T-34s); lack of spares/fuel; accidents
- towed AT guns & organic infantry AT weapons
- self-propelled AT guns
- other tanks

I'm not sure where mines and indirect-fire artillery slot in there but at the very, very bottom lie aircraft. Tactical air did approximately gently caress all in terms of actually killing tanks - its main effect was to scare them shitless and gently caress up their logistics tail.

But yeah, pretty much the only places solid shot was common other than infantry small arms was AT rifles, APCR/HVAP/APDS rounds (which were not issued widely), and the smaller AT/tank guns like the British 2pdr. All the larger stuff tended to have some kind of bursting charge, then there was full-blown APHE from real big guns like the Soviet 152s.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Okay yeah planes were bullshit, I only said that because I love sexy planes, sorry.

Speaking of, gently caress you Wargaming for making US carriers poo poo.

e: I said mines because mines didn't destroy tanks, it detracked them.
And detracked tanks are dead tanks.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 13, 2015

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Ok. How do I do the "birds eye view" while zoomed in? I've seen it in some youtube vids. Was it removed or something?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Trump posted:

Ok. How do I do the "birds eye view" while zoomed in? I've seen it in some youtube vids. Was it removed or something?

It's a mod.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Why haven't you given me this mod yet? What is wrong with you!?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Trump posted:

Why haven't you given me this mod yet? What is wrong with you!?

It's aslains modpack you twat.
I am sorry for assuming you are a functioning human being.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh you mean like what I posted in the OP.. in the mod section? Imagine that.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

demonR6 posted:

Oh you mean like what I posted in the OP.. in the mod section? Imagine that.

There's your mistake... who da gently caress reads OP's? People risk finding out answers to their questions there... They wouldn't want that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So what you are saying is remove pretty much everything in the OP up to the point where the link to the game is and let people figure it out. Gotcha.