Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
States rights unless its fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Good luck with that as your running slogan, I guess.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

quote:

“Republicans overwhelmingly oppose the destructive use of drugs in our families, in our schools and in our workplaces, because legalizing marijuana sends a profoundly disturbing message to our children about the choices they will be making in life,” said Arizona Republican Party Chairman Robert Graham. “We’ve already heard from law enforcement officials that marijuana supposedly used for medicinal purposes is being abused and ending up in the hands of children and young teens, and we need to reverse that trend.” - See more at: http://arizonagop.org/2015/06/03/marijuana-legalization-faces-overwhelming-opposition-from-azgop-leadership/#sthash.dcBhwtQL.dpuf

http://arizonagop.org/2015/06/03/marijuana-legalization-faces-overwhelming-opposition-from-azgop-leadership/

Yep, they've already been fellating the police.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Weed is good - a profoundly disturbing message if you have no idea what weed is or what it does

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Public Officials should be pee tested so we can see all the substances they're on and call them out for being hypocrites 99% of the time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Reason posted:

Public Officials should be pee tested so we can see all the substances they're on and call them out for being hypocrites 99% of the time.

Unfortunately, cocaine metabolizes fairly quickly.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
And alcohol is legal right up until you drive your car into a school bus. Then, tearfully sign up for counseling and resume your life as before.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

computer parts posted:

Unfortunately, cocaine metabolizes fairly quickly.

Fortunately though, most of them aren't very smart about being hypocrites, and probably do a rail off an intern before heading to the floor.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Apparently 53% of Arizonans support legalizing recreational marijuana. And apparently the Republicans don't need their votes.

quote:

The survey of 701 adult heads of households by the Behavior Research Center found 53 percent who said they support legalizing the possession of small amounts of marijuana for personal use. Another 39 percent were opposed.

But Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery, who opposes legalization, said he sees the numbers as a good sign.

"Barely 50 percent are still in favor of legalizing marijuana after all the nonsense the legalizers have been engaged in over the last couple of years,'' he said. "They haven't been able to move the needle at all.''

So it's a clear (if small) majority in an okay sample size, and a distinct minority that's actively opposed, and the "last couple of years" have seen marijuana full legalized in two more states and the district, plus nearly 3 years since legalization passed in WA and CO and those states haven't burned to the ground yet. Plus we have another year and a half of 5-10 states routinely discussing legalizing ganja in the open media, and Arizona's next-door neighbor very likely legalizing entirely.

But I'm sure it's probably nothing...

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Apparently 53% of Arizonans support legalizing recreational marijuana. And apparently the Republicans don't need their votes.

So it's a clear (if small) majority in an okay sample size, and a distinct minority that's actively opposed, and the "last couple of years" have seen marijuana full legalized in two more states and the district, plus nearly 3 years since legalization passed in WA and CO and those states haven't burned to the ground yet. Plus we have another year and a half of 5-10 states routinely discussing legalizing ganja in the open media, and Arizona's next-door neighbor very likely legalizing entirely.

But I'm sure it's probably nothing...

With something like marijuana legalization, where the pro people are just not as likely to show up to vote as the ancient anti demographic is and the undecideds are likely to swing "no," I wouldn't feel too comfortable unless Yes was polling ~55% right before the election, but 53% now is a reasonably good chance for passage.

Also, two of Arizona's neighbors might be legalizing next year: Nevada's also taking a shot at it.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
so is it time to move to canadia? whats does this all mean dudes?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

so is it time to move to canadia? whats does this all mean dudes?

:qq:

quote:

Health Minister Rona Ambrose says she is "outraged" by the Supreme Court of Canada decision that expands the definition of medical marijuana beyond dried leaves, to include cannabis oils, teas, brownies and other forms of the drug.

"Marijuana has never gone through the regulatory approval process at Health Canada, which requires rigorous safety reviews and clinical trials with scientific evidence," she told reporters in Ottawa.

"So frankly, I'm outraged by the Supreme Court."

She said Thursday's decision, as well as prior court rulings that permit the use of medical marijuana, give Canadians the impression that the drug has been shown to be effective, when it has not.

"We have this message that normalizes a drug where there is no clear clinical evidence that it is, quote-unquote, a medicine," she said, adding that never in Canada's history has a drug become a medicine "because judges deemed it so."

This must be Canada's version of Michele Leonhart.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MaxxBot posted:

:qq:

This must be Canada's version of Michele Leonhart.

She has a point. Medical Marijuana is bullshit and shouldn't be prescribed. It should however be 100% legal. Of course we all assume she is against legalization too.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

She has a point. Medical Marijuana is bullshit and shouldn't be prescribed. It should however be 100% legal. Of course we all assume she is against legalization too.

Meh it has uses. So long as those uses are making you hungry when you otherwise wouldn't be.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

reignofevil posted:

Meh it has uses. So long as those uses are making you hungry when you otherwise wouldn't be.

I misread this as "meth has its uses" and got really confused for a bit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eviltastic posted:

I misread this as "meth has its uses" and got really confused for a bit.

That is also true, though not related to the topic at hand.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

reignofevil posted:

I mean I'm not going to claim it has no medical benefits, but it hasn't gone through any of the processes required to declare it medicine, so it seems ridiculous to me to prescribe it.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

computer parts posted:

That is also true, though not related to the topic at hand.

And certainly not related to improving one's appetite!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Powercrazy posted:

I mean I'm not going to claim it has no medical benefits, but it hasn't gone through any of the processes required to declare it medicine, so it seems ridiculous to me to prescribe it.

I'm not familiar with the situation in Canada but here in the US the only reason that is the case is because of its schedule 1 status.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

I'm not familiar with the situation in Canada but here in the US the only reason that is the case is because of its schedule 1 status.

Right, it's a Catch 22. In order to be schedule 1, a drug must have no medicinal value. Instead of being placed in schedule 1 because the research has shown that to be true, some fuckheads in congress legislated that it be placed in schedule 1 for *reasons* (read: racism). This leads to a weird (but entirely intentional) situation where it cannot be found to have medicinal value because, by legal definition, it doesn't. Also, as a final "gently caress you," schedule 1 drugs cannot legally be used for research outside of VERY VERY limited circumstances. Oh, and the people in charge of approving said research are the ones that stand to gain the most by keeping it illegal.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Powercrazy posted:

Powercrazy posted:

But the doctors know it has medical value. It's not like there's a lack of research on it. The sole reason it hasn't "gone through the process" is political.

Letting politics determine whether or not something is a medicine, rather than science, undermines the entire system, and doctors should (rightfully) ignore it when it happens to the best of their ability.

It's the same way that those states that have made it illegal to use accurate predictive models of climate change, decreeing politically that they are untrue and invalid, should rightfully be ignored, and why mathematicians would have been right to ignore the Pi bill.

Meanwhile, plenty of bullshit does get to be declared medicine for explicitly political reasons, and doctors should rightfully ignore that snake oil no matter how legal it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Doctors know that eating fibrous greens has medical value as well, that doesn't mean that doctors can or should be able to prescribe them to patients. Recommend, sure, but prescribing something implies a certain level of purity and a testing process that just isn't possible with marijuana short of pharmaceutical extracts (that don't work well for other reasons). I can see how an FDA head, or Canada's equivalent, wouldn't want a legislature doing an end-around on the formal approval process to declare something a medicine.

None of that means that people should be getting arrested or cited for using marijuana for medical purposes or otherwise, but the whole medical marijuana thing where a doctor's note protects people from prosecution is nonsense that only has to exist because of ridiculous laws.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Miami is hopefully pushing the rest of Florida in the right direction:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article23643367.html

quote:

A proposal that would create a $100 fine for marijuana possession in Miami-Dade gets its first hearing before county commissioners Wednesday, a key test for a law designed to keep minor pot offenses out of the criminal system.

Criminal penalties would remain an option for misdemeanor possession of marijuana, but the change in county rules would give all police in Miami-Dade the option of treating it a civil offense instead. If issued a civil citation, the offender would receive a ticket and not a criminal charge that bring up to one year in jail.

Miami-Dade would be the first Florida county to let officers treat possessing small amounts of marijuana the same way they handle littering and other minor offenses, according to local and state officials. The issue is sensitive enough that the county’s mayor is cautioning that he’s not yet ready to back a top police administrator in endorsing the plan. Backers say they don’t want the proposal seen as a move toward decriminalizing marijuana — even though the civil-fine option meshes with that approach.

“The idea of replacing criminal penalties with civil penalties on possession of marijuana is a concept known as decriminalization,” said Paul Armentano, deputy director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. “People do a lot of hemming and hawing over the terminology.”

Backers of Miami-Dade’s proposed law insist the “decriminalization” term wouldn’t apply, noting officers would still have the option of arresting someone for possession of marijuana. That misdemeanor carries a maximum one-year jail sentence in Florida. Proposed implementing regulations connected to the county ordinance state the change “does not decriminalize” possession of marijuana, but instead “provides law enforcement with another avenue of resolution.”

A public hearing on the proposal is scheduled for the 2 p.m. meeting of the County Commission’s Metropolitan Services Committee at the Stephen P. Clark Government Center (111 NW First Street, Miami). If the committee passes the measure, it would move on for a final vote before the full 13-member commission sometime this summer.

The new county law would carve out a civil citation for possessing 20 grams of marijuana or less (enough for about three dozen joints), along with other misdemeanor offenses that include littering, illegal use of dairy crates, loitering and possession of drug paraphernalia.

County officials believe Miami-Dade would be the first Florida jurisdiction to create a civil citation for pot possession, putting the state’s largest county at the local forefront of a national movement against criminal prosecution of minor drug offenses. While Miami-Dade’s police department is backing the plan, the county’s mayor is not ready to endorse it, a spokesman said Wednesday.

“The mayor will wait until after the Metropolitan Services Committee meeting to review the legislation before making a decision,” said Michael Hernández, Gimenez’s communications director.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article23643367.html#storylink=cpy

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

But the doctors know it has medical value. It's not like there's a lack of research on it. The sole reason it hasn't "gone through the process" is political.

Letting politics determine whether or not something is a medicine, rather than science, undermines the entire system, and doctors should (rightfully) ignore it when it happens to the best of their ability.

Agreed, hence why I'm staunchly against medical marijuana.

Tea has medicinal qualities as well, but it would be dumb for doctors to prescribe it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

With all the talk of "up-to one year in prison" does this actually ever happen to anymore?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Powercrazy posted:

Agreed, hence why I'm staunchly against medical marijuana.

Tea has medicinal qualities as well, but it would be dumb for doctors to prescribe it.

Except that science already determined marijuana was a medicine, and literally the only reason why places don't consider it that is political?

Tea doesn't get prescribed because
a) there's not, despite your statement, any medical conditions it treats - Edit: accept, apparently, for neuralgic headaches, although it seems to be outclassed there by other drugs
b) even if it was, you don't really need prescriptions for things that are freely, cheaply, legally available

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 12, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

turnip kid posted:

Criminal penalties would remain an option for misdemeanor possession of marijuana, but the change in county rules would give all police in Miami-Dade the option of treating it a civil offense instead. If issued a civil citation, the offender would receive a ticket and not a criminal charge that bring up to one year in jail.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article23643367.html

Gee, I wonder how that's going to be enforced, and whether there will be a disparity from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

GlyphGryph posted:

Except that science already determined marijuana was a medicine, and literally the only reason why places don't consider it that is political?

a) there's not, despite your statement, any medical conditions it treats
Medicinal Action and Uses. Stimulant, astringent. It exerts a decided influence over the nervous system, generally evinced by a feeling of comfort and exhilaration; it also causes unnatural wakefulness when taken in quantity. Taken moderately by healthy individuals it is harmless, but in excessive quantities it will produce unpleasant nervous and dyspeptic symptoms, the green variety being decidedly the more injurious. Tea is rarely used as a medicine, but, the infusion is useful to relieve neuralgic headaches.

(Sounds like a scary drug too when they put it like that :aaa:)

GlyphGryph posted:

b) even if it was, you don't really need prescriptions for things that are freely, cheaply, legally available
I agree with this though, if cannabis was the above, medicinal marijuana would be unnecessary.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tab8715 posted:

With all the talk of "up-to one year in prison" does this actually ever happen to anymore?

Depends on your albedo.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

http://dissidentvoice.org/2013/09/half-ounce-of-pot-gets-louisiana-man-twenty-years-in-prison/

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Also remember that lady who lost child custody and now faces some heavy jail time claims cannabis is the only drug she has found that enables her to be a functional mom.

Edit: this one: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2015/06/08/mom-who-uses-medical-marijuana-faces-up-to-30-years-in-prison/

snorch fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 12, 2015

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

prescribing something implies a certain level of purity and a testing process that just isn't possible with marijuana short of pharmaceutical extracts (that don't work well for other reasons).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE60il2pI_k

GlyphGryph posted:

If you make a therapeutic claim about walnuts the FDA get uppity: http://www.fda.gov/iceci/enforcementactions/warningletters/ucm202825.htm

KingEup fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 12, 2015

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

snorch posted:

Also remember that lady who lost child custody and now faces some heavy jail time claims cannabis is the only drug she has found that enables her to be a functional mom.

Ah yes, I believe you're remembering this story from the fine state of Kansas. A mother and fine parent who lives there was taking cannabis oil to manage Crohn's disease, after doctors had previously written her condition off as untreatable, and previous treatments had failed; they actually had her on fentanyl to ease her passing as they figured she was going to die soon. Cannabis oil worked well enough that she was more or less okay. Unfortunately, she lives in Kansas and her son got to talking during an anti-drug propaganda event at his school, so of course the school called police, police got a warrant and mom is now facing the loss of her son and lots of jail time. They've already taken her son for the time being and charged her with distribution. She's facing 30 years in jail, has lost custody of her son and her health is now deteriorating.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Santa Ana cops raiding a pot shop, taking down cameras and enjoying the edibles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTKTfUHfeKM

edit: didn't realize it was also posted in the cops thread

MattO fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 12, 2015

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Broken Machine posted:

Ah yes, I believe you're remembering this story from the fine state of Kansas. A mother and fine parent who lives there was taking cannabis oil to manage Crohn's disease, after doctors had previously written her condition off as untreatable, and previous treatments had failed; they actually had her on fentanyl to ease her passing as they figured she was going to die soon. Cannabis oil worked well enough that she was more or less okay. Unfortunately, she lives in Kansas and her son got to talking during an anti-drug propaganda event at his school, so of course the school called police, police got a warrant and mom is now facing the loss of her son and lots of jail time. They've already taken her son for the time being and charged her with distribution. She's facing 30 years in jail, has lost custody of her son and her health is now deteriorating.

Sure, but we can't make this lady's life tolerable until we study medical marijuana more. Best to just keep her kid in foster homes and let her waste away.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Broken Machine posted:

That's insane. I have Crohn's and a good Indica strain has been the only thing keeping me out of the ER on more than one occasion, and is probably why I don't need any other meds for it now, so that hits a little too close to home (though I live in CO, thank god!).

I wonder if they'll feel the slightest bit guilty when she dies in their custhahahahaHAHAHA I can't

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

The Maroon Hawk posted:

That's insane. I have Crohn's and a good Indica strain has been the only thing keeping me out of the ER on more than one occasion, and is probably why I don't need any other meds for it now, so that hits a little too close to home (though I live in CO, thank god!).

I wonder if they'll feel the slightest bit guilty when she dies in their custhahahahaHAHAHA I can't

That poor kid is going to be blaming himself for the rest of his life. Conservatives are evil, evil people.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

The Maroon Hawk posted:

"The perp died? Too bad we couldn't get her convicted first."

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Brave New World posted:

"The perp died? Too bad we couldn't get her convicted first."

They'll just convict post mortem, can let the prosecutor's convictions rate suffer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The High Priest of cannabis prohibition has spoken!

quote:

Twenty years ago, drug dealers were seen for what they were — criminal and dangerous elements in our society. They were shunned by the mainstream. People who sold marijuana were considered losers, in the business of harming our children. Parents warned their kids to stay away from those known to use drugs.

The dangers have gone up and the stigma has gone down. And many in the Republican Party are aiding and abetting in this social collapse. http://www.latimes.com/ct-marijuana-stigma-20150615-story.html?track=rss

• Locked thread