Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

astrollinthepork posted:

From looking at their testing method, it appears they test the right side after the left on the same helmet. Front/left/right/rear.

Fairly sure they use a fresh helmet each time because otherwise carbon lids would be at a massive disadvantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I cannot find anything on their testing methods beyond a little animation and slideshow which implies they use the same helmet. Doesn't say one outright one way or the other. I mean yeah, it seems like they would use new helmets for each impact but trying to explain why different sides of the same helmet receive vastly different ratings is difficult. I emailed them hoping for some clarification on why the sides rate differently.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
It would make 0 sense if they reused the same helmet, in fact it would make all the results entirely useless.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Yeah I'm pretty sure they don't crush the gently caress out of the left side of a lid then decide to test the right on a busted helmet for obvious reasons.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

astrollinthepork posted:

I cannot find anything on their testing methods beyond a little animation and slideshow which implies they use the same helmet. Doesn't say one outright one way or the other. I mean yeah, it seems like they would use new helmets for each impact but trying to explain why different sides of the same helmet receive vastly different ratings is difficult. I emailed them hoping for some clarification on why the sides rate differently.

I can think of a few reasons why different sides would rate differently, primarily things like visor mechanisms (particularly internal visors), provision for bluetooth systems (ISTR Shoei have a licensed Cardo system that bolts onto/into the helmet pretty much invisibly, I'd imagine hollows left for that could explain it), and even inconsistent quality control, and, for fibreglass (does anyone still use that for lids?) or for carbon fibre lids, the "hairy ball" problem (quiet at the back children) meaning the weave isn't laid the same on different sides of the lid.

Come to think of it it must be a common-enough problem in helmet manufacture for SHARP to even think about testing left and right sides independently.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I clicked that link... really considering a name change to "Hairy Donut Theorem" now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can think of a few reasons why different sides would rate differently, primarily things like visor mechanisms (particularly internal visors), provision for bluetooth systems (ISTR Shoei have a licensed Cardo system that bolts onto/into the helmet pretty much invisibly, I'd imagine hollows left for that could explain it), and even inconsistent quality control, and, for fibreglass (does anyone still use that for lids?) or for carbon fibre lids, the "hairy ball" problem (quiet at the back children) meaning the weave isn't laid the same on different sides of the lid.

Come to think of it it must be a common-enough problem in helmet manufacture for SHARP to even think about testing left and right sides independently.

Wouldn't the hairy ball problem not apply because a helmet is not an "even dimensional n-sphere", and as such you can lay the tufted tips at the edges of the periphery?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

£6 for the wire, £4 for the driver, £5 for a tube of sealant. The ability to take it all off if I want to redesign? Priceless. Suck it Lightmode!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Wouldn't the hairy ball problem not apply because a helmet is not an "even dimensional n-sphere", and as such you can lay the tufted tips at the edges of the periphery?

iunno, it was just a guess. I know 3d curves in carbon fibre are a right pain in the arse, and thought that might be an explanation.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

£6 for the wire, £4 for the driver, £5 for a tube of sealant. The ability to take it all off if I want to redesign? Priceless. Suck it Lightmode!

That looks loving awesome.

Meanwhile with ten minutes of measuring I still managed to get my helmet mount a good inch off the centreline of the lid. This is why I pay other people to work on my bike.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I was basically gonna Tron up my helmet/gear like this for halloween :v: looks awesome!

edit: on the subject of helmets, I can't find a single ECE helmet that fits my head ffs :bang:

M42 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 11, 2015

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
How does it feel to have a head that's not up to ECE regs?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Better not crash! I did find a single scorpion model (exo 500) that's ece. It's got a bunch of poo poo I don't want like a dropdown visor, but I can't keep spending money just shipping poo poo back to revzilla. Already did it three times.

If anyone's seen intermediate/slightly round helmets that are ece, let me know. Icon airmada, agv k4, and whatever bell I tried were all too narrow.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

Better not crash! I did find a single scorpion model (exo 500) that's ece. It's got a bunch of poo poo I don't want like a dropdown visor, but I can't keep spending money just shipping poo poo back to revzilla. Already did it three times.

If anyone's seen intermediate/slightly round helmets that are ece, let me know. Icon airmada, agv k4, and whatever bell I tried were all too narrow.

It's a shame the Airmada is too narrow, because I am still absolutely in love with that helmet, like the way Z3n loves his SuperDuke. My fiance has a slightly rounder headshape than mine, so when the Airmada didn't work she tried an Icon Alliance and was very happy with it. It's ECE rated, and according to Revzilla it also passed the Australian and Japanese safety tests as well. She's only used it while riding two-up with me though, so unfortunately I can't tell you more about riding with it or how it rates next to other helmets.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sweet, if the scorpion doesn't work out I might try that. Also just noticed revzilla's got a head shape slider for helmet reviews, so that's handy.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I need a backpack and/or tankbag for my Ninja 650, any recommendations?

Want something really high quality, considering a GORUCK GR1 (in addition / as a general all-around backpack), but it's a little pricy so maybe there are equally good options or something more comfortable for riding.

Lifetime guarantee though, plus I've read several reports of people going down on them and only slightly tearing corners of it, and they replaced/fixed it.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Take your pick of Kriega bags.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 13, 2015

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lynza posted:

My husband has a weirdly-shaped head (I guess?). He's got a Shoei Qwest that's pretty comfortable. He tried on some AFX helmets that fit similarly, so that might be a brand to try out. I don't know anything about them otherwise, but the one he tried on seemed pretty good, and it was reasonably comfortable and quite cheap.

Hey, I hope you see this because I think you loving own bones. This arrived today, and except for a very tiny sharp point in some stupid air channel in the foam in the very front edge of the forehead, It fits perfect. Snug all over, yet enough room around the ears to even wear my over ear earbuds that I love without any pain or discomfort. I'm flabbergasted. NOTHING fits me. No helmets ever fit, and you suggested a dirt cheap, feature packed, helmet in my price range that came in my favorite color. I pressed the little tiny edge point that was hurting me to round it out, nothing that should harm the protection. Just with my finger. I hope I didn't do a terrible thing.

I haven't ridden in it, but OH MAN this helmet is my new favorite thing.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 13, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I bought one of those a few weeks ago. Noisy(75+) and fogs up at stoplights, but it loving works good off road and in the city.

wish I bought orange instead of black, dammit

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
How are those Ogio No-Drag backpacks?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Mr. Crow posted:

I need a backpack and/or tankbag for my Ninja 650, any recommendations?

Want something really high quality, considering a GORUCK GR1 (in addition / as a general all-around backpack), but it's a little pricy so maybe there are equally good options or something more comfortable for riding.

Lifetime guarantee though, plus I've read several reports of people going down on them and only slightly tearing corners of it, and they replaced/fixed it.

Kreiga.

Any normal, non-motorcycle backpack is going to give you hell after awhile because you need different style straps to deal with motorcycle gear and distribute weight well. Only Kreiga seems to do it right.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Z3n posted:

Kreiga.

Thirding Kriega. They also make really nice tailbags in their US- series. I commute daily with a US-20 and US-5 strapped together on the tail of my bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've always wondered: why do dirtybike helmets have a protruding snout thing?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So when you get on the freeway, you're reminded that you're doing something wrong

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Its a ram bug scoop.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

HotCanadianChick posted:

Thirding Kriega. They also make really nice tailbags in their US- series. I commute daily with a US-20 and US-5 strapped together on the tail of my bike.

Kriega fanclub checking in

I've got an R25 backpack for commuting, with a little Kube strapped on the front. I don't know if I would recommend their tankbag adapter, though. I think that tankbags are a product of convenience and fussing with a rolltop seems like a PITA for day-to-day when you don't need waterproofing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I've always wondered: why do dirtybike helmets have a protruding snout thing?

Serious answer - you work a lot harder (and so breathe heavier) offroad, so you need the extra space in front of your mouth - same reason they normally have goggles rather than a visor.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

VERTiG0 posted:

How are those Ogio No-Drag backpacks?

I have one and I love it. It's not the most waterproof thing out there, though, so don't expect it to work as well as a proper drybag, but even in pretty serious downpours it's only ever gotten a little damp inside.

I fourth Kriega, though. I have a US 20 and it's like a goddamn bag of holding. With that and a 30L, we brought home $100 of groceries.

Coydog I'm stoked it worked for you! I love that orange. Absolutely so much better than the yellow/green hi-vis color.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
I've never used or handled a Kriega product so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing, but I've used an old North Face Recon day pack on every ride everyday for two and a half years, including a 3 day road trip, a crash in which i slid on said backpack for about 20 yards on wet asphalt, multiple 3 digit speedometer readings, and a 9 month period where it was my daily grocery getter, with no problem and no complaints. Unless I load the poo poo out of it i don't even know it's there when I snap the chest clip between the straps which seems to serve the same purpose as the kreiga lock clips. If I do load it down, like when I go out for wine (6+ bottles gets you a discount, always buy 6) or a road trip, I use the waist strap to help support and balance the load. I can even put a drink cup in the side mesh pockets when i go out for lunch.

If I was going to Ushuaia or planning a tucked in high speed low drag FTP sprint on a superbike across the flyover states I could see needing something a bit more purpose built but for day to day use I'm not seeing an advantage. For tail, tank, and saddlebags I can see the value in specialized equipment but I haven't been convinced the moto backpack is much more than a gimmick over any well fitting quality backpack thats half the price and doesnt say "motorcycle" in the ads.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

cursedshitbox posted:

I bought one of those a few weeks ago. Noisy(75+) and fogs up at stoplights, but it loving works good off road and in the city.

wish I bought orange instead of black, dammit

See, this is what's stopping me from buying that helmet, no pinlock then no sale. That orange is awesome though.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I decided to look up Kriega. Why do I want this so bad:

http://www.kriega.us/adv-platform/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

I did the same thing a few weeks ago. I want the R20 backpack something fierce. Either that or a chrome industries messenger bag. decisions decisions.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Chrome messenger bags are great but terrible if you're on a bike - load distribution is terrible for an upright motorcycle seating position.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

Z3n posted:

Chrome messenger bags are great but terrible if you're on a bike - load distribution is terrible for an upright motorcycle seating position.

I don't think I'm hipster enough to pull off a messenger bag anyways.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Watsabi posted:

I don't think I'm hipster enough to pull off a messenger bag anyways.

The PO for my Yamaha gave me a plastic pannier tub (not attached), which pretty much 90% of all motorcycles the same age as mine driven by people older than me have installed. They're practical, but not pretty. I like a utilitarian look, but the plastic bin looks a little too cheap and practical for my tastes. I may still get it installed just to add a bit of practicality to the bike, but I'd much rather have saddlebags or those fancy looking panniers (I have to take it to a shop because it uses the suspension mount bolts on one side to attach to the bike).

I guess I just like the ADV look. It's me, I'm the hipster. Though thankfully I didn't buy the Kymco Hipster 150 that's for sale in my neighborhood.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Are there messengers that aren't terrible on a bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

tirinal posted:

Are there messengers that aren't terrible on a bike?

The value of the kreiga stuff is that you should shorten the straps enough that it weighs primarily on your chest, with the weight distributed less on your shoulders and more across your body. Messenger bags tend to be designed to give easy access and stay on your back while you're at deep forward lean on a bicycle (at least relative to a moto) and don't worry much about distributing the load, as the forward lean takes care of that. If you can find a messenger bag where the design puts the majority of the weight on your chest, not your shoulder, it might work ok on a bike, but that's really hard to do without a large chest section on the bag, which tends to be a place messenger bags skimp for ventilation.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wear one on each shoulder, fill them with grenades

All messenger bags are terrible, unless they come with a solid back plate to stop them folding in half around your hip, and even those that do will almost certainly have some other ridiculous foible like an over-large top flap that makes it impossible to add/remove items without taking the bag off your shoulder, or strap loops positioned such that opening the bag while wearing it causes it to fall open, scattering your papers to the wind.

I've been through a lot of messenger bags. (none bike specific admittedly, but it seems like you'd always be better served by a backpack, plus a tank bag for the few things you really might want to get at in a hurry)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't think you *get* messenger bags. I've used them very heavily for 15 years, almost exclusively, and find the timbuk2 bags to be nothing but amazing at everything you need them for. In fact, still use the first messenger bag I bought in 2000. Why do you keep buying messenger bags if you don't want a messenger bag, and instead want a normal backpack? Have you ever used a nice messenger bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

I've never used or handled a Kriega product so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing, but I've used an old North Face Recon day pack on every ride everyday for two and a half years, including a 3 day road trip, a crash in which i slid on said backpack for about 20 yards on wet asphalt, multiple 3 digit speedometer readings, and a 9 month period where it was my daily grocery getter, with no problem and no complaints. Unless I load the poo poo out of it i don't even know it's there when I snap the chest clip between the straps which seems to serve the same purpose as the kreiga lock clips. If I do load it down, like when I go out for wine (6+ bottles gets you a discount, always buy 6) or a road trip, I use the waist strap to help support and balance the load. I can even put a drink cup in the side mesh pockets when i go out for lunch.

If I was going to Ushuaia or planning a tucked in high speed low drag FTP sprint on a superbike across the flyover states I could see needing something a bit more purpose built but for day to day use I'm not seeing an advantage. For tail, tank, and saddlebags I can see the value in specialized equipment but I haven't been convinced the moto backpack is much more than a gimmick over any well fitting quality backpack thats half the price and doesnt say "motorcycle" in the ads.

My ~$75 Fly Racing backpack has these nice little toggles on all the zippers that are super easy to use with gloves. That's cool. Plus all the pockets and stuff keep my poo poo from moving. 'Sgot chest straps and stuff to help balance the weight, too. It isn't anything incredible, but I like it better than using something like a jansport. Price didn't seem too bad for what it is either. :shrug: