Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

What is the optimal strategy for that subway map? I lost another impossible campaign because I drew it as one of the first missions and have no clue how to tackle it. Most of the cover is garbage. There's barely any high cover outside of the subway car but the subway car is a huge trap since its exposed to both sides which lets sectoids easily flank you. There's no cover to safely move up to for flanking either. Its just a long corridor of death and despair that kicks my rear end every time.

Go to the other platform, overwatch for 20 turns in a row and play a better game while you wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

That bomb disposal train mission.

gently caress, nope.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I finally beat this game after buying it on release day! And now I find out theres a second one coming out to throw more (admittedly fun) RNG bullshit at me. I probably would have beaten it long ago, but I always get attached to my lone :canada: soldier who always dies when when of my other soldiers panics. Like, without fail, death by teammate was 100% of my angry resets. Missing 2 99% shots caused me less grief and anger.

Next game letting me pick all that stuff instead of cycling through 400 recruits for a specific country/class combo already makes me want to buy it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

What is the optimal strategy for that subway map? I lost another impossible campaign because I drew it as one of the first missions and have no clue how to tackle it. Most of the cover is garbage. There's barely any high cover outside of the subway car but the subway car is a huge trap since its exposed to both sides which lets sectoids easily flank you. There's no cover to safely move up to for flanking either. Its just a long corridor of death and despair that kicks my rear end every time.

Decide who is most expendable, send them to the corner of the subway car to peek down the tracks. If it looks like you can, send a squadsight* sniper across the tracks with someone to watch his back. Then just reveal aliens and watch your sniper rack up exp.

* if you don't have a squadsight sniper, just nope the gently caress out of there on your first turn. gently caress this subway station, the aliens can loving have it.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Ok going into this game on impossible after 2+ years away probably wasn't the best plan. Back to classic it is before I become too pissed off to go any further.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I kinda wish they'd made whatever xcom game they wanted to make with hybrid aliens in the sewers after terror from the deep so I can see how bad a post-tftd pre-apocalypse game with a large amount of sewer-themed underground-themed maps would be

Plus I guess it'd give them a way to do some silly hollow earth mole men lizard people alien poo poo or something. But mostly I'm morbidly curious about how an xcom sewer level would look lmao

Musluk
May 23, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I kinda wish they'd made whatever xcom game they wanted to make with hybrid aliens in the sewers after terror from the deep so I can see how bad a post-tftd pre-apocalypse game with a large amount of sewer-themed underground-themed maps would be

Someone actually wants to play a sewer level, holy poo poo

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It looks like the new Sectoids are going to be about as dangerous as XCOM:EW Sectoid Commanders were, maybe worse. Higher health, the ability to mind-control your dudes, and even the ability to raise the dead to fight for them.

We are far from the days when they were just skinny little nothings that could be blown away with one grenade.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Musluk posted:

Someone actually wants to play a sewer level, holy poo poo

What do you think morbidly curious means, musluk

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

So what's everyone's least favorite level?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
After the hell of the shipping route terror missions I can only imagine how bad a claustrophobic sewer, catacomb, or underground tunnel network terror mission would be lmao

Musluk
May 23, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

What do you think morbidly curious means, musluk

dunno, still can't grasp why would anyone want to see another sewer level in TYOOL 2015.5

where's my mars levels firaxis

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Speedball posted:

It looks like the new Sectoids are going to be about as dangerous as XCOM:EW Sectoid Commanders were, maybe worse. Higher health, the ability to mind-control your dudes, and even the ability to raise the dead to fight for them.

We are far from the days when they were just skinny little nothings that could be blown away with one grenade.

Well yeah, look at him(?). Pectoid has been spending the last 20 years discovering steroids.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Elderbean posted:

Overseer UFO had my MEC gun down 3 of my other soldiers after he was mind controlled because I was deadset on stunning the Ethereal and he resisted a 90% stun twice in a row earlier so I feel salty from that. :qq:

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Elderbean posted:

Train/metro station, no doubt. No real cover and it's always thin mint bullshit town.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 12, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Elderbean posted:

Council missions easily because endless loving thin men. The bomb disposal ones are the worst, requiring you to move fast and somehow not get your squad destroyed at the same time. If you get one of those early on impossible you flat out cannot do it without absurd luck. On classic it would be very difficult, but on impossible the increased number of aliens with higher health means you're just straight up hosed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mzbundifund posted:

Those both sound like kind of mid-level aliens, do we know who the early-game foes are going to be? Brainwashed human troops maybe?
According to the article, both the Evolved Sectoid and the Viper are early-game enemies.

amuayse posted:

Oh. I just saw screenshots of XCOM soldiers with Cyberdisc and Chryssalid perks that's why.
You can put normally unattainable perks on the list, but if human units can't use them they're unlikely to function. Psi and genemod perks work on the roulette though. The only totally unattainable trait I've seen that seems to work on the roulette is the EXALT's "Adrenaline" perk, which gives +10 aim and +10 crit for the mission if you take damage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Vipers seem ridiculously brutal for an early game enemy. Cover is like the one thing rookie troops can use to survive and they just loving negate that. I mean, imagine if there was some early enemy in EW that didn't care about heavy co- wait nevermind.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Vipers seem ridiculously brutal for an early game enemy. Cover is like the one thing rookie troops can use to survive and they just loving negate that. I mean, imagine if there was some early enemy in EW that didn't care about heavy co- wait nevermind.

haha

snektits bullshit might even surpass thin mint bullshit in the end

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Considering that Xcom 2 is all about stealth, I imagine you can pick how you engage and where most times. So I'm assuming the ideal strategy for dealing with them would be to scout the area and then focus the Vipers down turn one.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Okay, did the latest version of Long War change how creating MEC's work? Because I've researched Alien Biocybernetics and just unlocked the first MEC, but I still don't have the option to build a cybernetics lab. Is there something else I need to be doing?

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Won't they presumably need to be within "ridiculously close could probably flank and oneshot rookies if they felt like it" range to do it anyway?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
You'll probably be able to exploit snakes' weakness to ninja katanas.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Lotish posted:

I know, but I want to skew the results. I like Assaults.

Only thing I find annoying about Not Created Equally is when you get -1 to movement. It's not a stat on their screen so you just kind of have to notice on the field.

There's this http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/474/ which does a lot of the stuff toolboks used to. In particular you might find the Soldier Class Probability and Display Mobility tweaks helpful

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elderbean posted:

Hurricane Street, especially the terror map version. Little cover, less room to maneuver if things go wrong, and densely packed mobs to make something going wrong likely.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Okay, did the latest version of Long War change how creating MEC's work? Because I've researched Alien Biocybernetics and just unlocked the first MEC, but I still don't have the option to build a cybernetics lab. Is there something else I need to be doing?

The repair lab is required (I think). Either way, you now construct mecs in Engineering, in the armor tab.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Elderbean posted:

One of the variants of the alien base that has very little and unfavorable cover.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SexyCommando posted:

I hope making custom namelists is more robust, either out-of-the-box or through a mod. It would help cut down on in-game troop editing time to not only record specific names, but also tie gender, race, appearance/etc. to them. So if you get new rookies and the game rolls your friend Sarah, she will always be a black woman with a ponytail, but if it rolls John Madden, he will always appear as a heavy-set white guy with white hair and Custom_Voice_2.

This is already possible in Long War with a third party mod.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm going to echo what people said about the train/bomb disposal mission. gently caress everything about that mission.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My least favorite is the Transport Ship. There's only one version of it and it sucks and in LW you'll end up playing it about 60 times per campaign.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Missed this, but the Cybernetic lab is now the repair lab.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

This has probably been posted already but it's gold.

https://vimeo.com/129923235

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Elderbean posted:

Least favorite is probably Trainyard or Boulevard. They're too open and have very little concealment anywhere.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Elderbean posted:

Oh my god yes

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Elderbean posted:

haha, I just watched Kingsman the other day so that is great.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Kitfox88 posted:

Overseer UFO had my MEC gun down 3 of my other soldiers after he was mind controlled because I was deadset on stunning the Ethereal and he resisted a 90% stun twice in a row earlier so I feel salty from that. :qq:

I do pretty much the same thing every time. Never gonna learn.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You know what kind of level I'd like to see in an xcom title? Some kind of historical landmark fight. I wanna see GI Joe fight it out with aliens on top of crumbling/restored(Soon to be unrestored) castle battlements.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

e: double post

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FoolyCharged posted:

You know what kind of level I'd like to see in an xcom title? Some kind of historical landmark fight. I wanna see GI Joe fight it out with aliens on top of crumbling/restored(Soon to be unrestored) castle battlements.

Fight for the Space Needle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Internet Kraken posted:

Send your MECs down the middle, have a squad sight sniper in the back, rest of your team supports the MECs. MECs are awesome. I hope you're not doing this on vanilla.

• Locked thread