Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ok. So Batman is Vampire Kirk Langstrom, Superman is Zod, and Wonder Woman is a New God.

Pretty cool premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

redbackground posted:

Really liked WW's voice actress, and her casual use of New Gods Portal technology. Steve Trevor will always be the second worst DC character of all time, just above Terry Long.

I liked him in Brave and the Bold, where he's just super complacent as a secret agent because his girlfriend is one of the most amazing and powerful heroes in the world, so she's always going to save his rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyKXBxK82LE

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ok. So Batman is Vampire Kirk Langstrom, Superman is Zod, and Wonder Woman is a New God.

Pretty cool premise.

I was thinking "Fury" when I saw this Wonder Woman. They seemed to have the same kind of personality as Aresia from the JL cartoon. And that would explain the New Gods tech if it is a shout out to the New 52 Fury.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Replacing WW's lame use of Greek mythology with an actual DC specific mythology really does a lot for integrating the character better, I feel. Which has always been one of her top problems.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Other than the pumped up libido Gods/Monsters Wonder Woman seems to be the least different from the original.

Was Assault on Arkham even kind of good? I've not really liked the more recent, more edgy DC DTV movies, but I've got a free rental burning a hole in my video service's account and Chappie isn't out until next week

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 13, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Assault on Arkham is not very good at all, it's kind of bad.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Assualt on Arkham seems like it's pretty close to what the Suicide Squad movie will end up as

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dacap posted:

Assualt on Arkham seems like it's pretty close to what the Suicide Squad movie will end up as

I think Suicide Squad will be way worse.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I hate Steve Trevor as SUPER SECRET AGENT, but I actually love him as the Justice League's liaison to the US government who has to sell them on the League's stupid poo poo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Replacing WW's lame use of Greek mythology with an actual DC specific mythology really does a lot for integrating the character better, I feel. Which has always been one of her top problems.

I've seen that comment about the Greek myth stuff before and it confuses the gently caress out of me, considering I've NEVER heard anyone level the same critique at Thor or Hercules over at Marvel.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

OnimaruXLR posted:

Was Assault on Arkham even kind of good? I've not really liked the more recent, more edgy DC DTV movies, but I've got a free rental burning a hole in my video service's account and Chappie isn't out until next week
The edgy violence works a lot better when the characters are all villains to begin with. The writers reeeeeaaaallllly love Deadshot (unlike the animators, since he randomly goes off model) and the Harley Quinn stuff is a bit dumb at times but it's okay I guess.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The short was okay, but I've got to ask, if this incarnation of Wonder Woman has a different costume, powers, origin, and appearance, what exactly defines her as Wonder Woman?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The short was okay, but I've got to ask, if this incarnation of Wonder Woman has a different costume, powers, origin, and appearance, what exactly defines her as Wonder Woman?

Same could be said about the version's of Batman and Superman they're using. The thing that really made it stand out is Harley Quinn and Brainiac are both relatively well known villains for Batman and Superman to deal with, but I've never heard of Giganta, nor can I really think of any iconic villains for Wonder Woman to begin with.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Skwirl posted:

Same could be said about the version's of Batman and Superman they're using. The thing that really made it stand out is Harley Quinn and Brainiac are both relatively well known villains for Batman and Superman to deal with, but I've never heard of Giganta, nor can I really think of any iconic villains for Wonder Woman to begin with.

Cheetah would be the biggest one that comes to mind

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dacap posted:

Cheetah would be the biggest one that comes to mind
I'm going to admit that most of my knowledge of DC comes from the Timm/Dini cartoons, so my the well is much deeper when it comes to Batman and Superman than anyone else.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Skwirl posted:

I'm going to admit that most of my knowledge of DC comes from the Timm/Dini cartoons, so my the well is much deeper when it comes to Batman and Superman than anyone else.
Giganta was in Justice League multiple times :confused:

edit: Although I agree, Wonder Woman doesn't really have any marquee bad guys. Cheetah and Ares are probably the closest but I doubt anybody knows them like Luthor or Joker.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 13, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hazo posted:

Giganta was in Justice League multiple times :confused:

While I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of everything DCAU, most of Batman and Superman I've seen several times, while JL/JLU I've only seen once with a few exceptions. And the Batman and Superman shows had more room for character arcs in their villains, because they usually only had one per episode, so it's not surprising she didn't stick in my mind.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Skwirl posted:

They should've had her fighting Egg Fu.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm going to guess this Wonder Woman will be this universes equivalent of Orion, the daughter of Darkseid traded to.... Ares or whoever is in charge of the island she grew up on the same way Miracle Man and Orion were traded. Then the real Diana raised on Apokalips will show up at some point as well as a villain.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Skwirl posted:

While I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of everything DCAU, most of Batman and Superman I've seen several times, while JL/JLU I've only seen once with a few exceptions. And the Batman and Superman shows had more room for character arcs in their villains, because they usually only had one per episode, so it's not surprising she didn't stick in my mind.

In the DCAU Giganta hung out with Grodd most of the time. She looked like this.

As you can tell she was not a robot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

In the DCAU Giganta hung out with Grodd most of the time. She looked like this.

As you can tell she was not a robot.

I did google it and had that recollection of "Oh yeah, her," But Harley had full on character arcs and Brainiac was the only villain besides Darkseid who really seemed to threaten Superman at an existential level. I think my problem was that within the short Giganta had no characterization, she was just a giant robot. Harley was trying to make a family and Brainiac was the kid from Akira, tons of pathos behind those portrayals, then a giant purple robot that smashes poo poo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Bruce Timm is working on an animated adaptation of the Killing Joke

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/10/sdcc-15-bruce-timm-confirms-hes-doing-a-killing-joke-animated-film/

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

I'm glad they gave up on adapting New 52 stuff exclusively. Would be cool to see a lot of other Batman stories get adaptations. A 2 or 3 part Knightfall might be cool too. Also Long Halloween.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ToastyPotato posted:

Also Long Halloween.

It's absolutely insane this hasn't been done in any medium outside of the comics. It's the perfect Batman story. I know the Nolan movies borrowed from it a bit, but a straight adaptation in Timm's style? :pray:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Killing Joke would be cool, I hope they get a Joker who isn't Hammill for it even though it is a big Joker story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I hope the art style is a little less nothing than their last few movies have been. Killing Joke needs some grit and style.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I hope the art style is a little less nothing than their last few movies have been. Killing Joke needs some grit and style.

If they use whoever has done the new 52 stuff, then may god help us all. I really hope they give Timm a budget to work with, since it is probably one of the biggest Batman stories ever. DKR was a pretty good adaptation.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ToastyPotato posted:

If they use whoever has done the new 52 stuff, then may god help us all. I really hope they give Timm a budget to work with, since it is probably one of the biggest Batman stories ever. DKR was a pretty good adaptation.

Speaking of which, I hope they get Michael Emerson to do the Joker for the Killing Joke adaptation too. He did the Joker really well in DKR.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Beef Chief posted:

Killing Joke would be cool, I hope they get a Joker who isn't Hammill for it even though it is a big Joker story.

Hamill keeps saying he's retired but he's done like 3 "One last time!" things lately.

Though he's going to be Luke again so maybe he can give that voice a rest.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The Vixen animated short, (series?) on CW Seed actually looks pretty cool. They got the CW cast to do their own voices which is nice. It also looks a bit more like Young Justice than the current New 52 stuff does (which also sort of did, but with less of a budget.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Did I see that Squirrel Girl is in Ultimate Spiderman?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

The Vixen animated short, (series?) on CW Seed actually looks pretty cool. They got the CW cast to do their own voices which is nice. It also looks a bit more like Young Justice than the current New 52 stuff does (which also sort of did, but with less of a budget.)
I laughed when the big shock for Ollie is "She's fast!"
Like... Barry is right next to you, dude.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Killing Joke was a terrible story to begin with, but I guess that goes with most of DC's animated films being really lovely for a long time now.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

WickedHate posted:

The Killing Joke was a terrible story to begin with, but I guess that goes with most of DC's animated films being really lovely for a long time now.

I do my best to cut you some slack because you're a kid, but you're really not making it easy. The Killing Joke may be an unpleasant read, but it's considered a seminal Batman story for a reason. And I say that as someone who will take any opportunity to poo poo on Alan Moore.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It has a pretty decent ending moment but other than that I really can't think of anything good about it. A lot of things are only thought of as good because they're already thought of as good. It's recursive. People get subconsiously influenced by certain thing's reputation.

Not everything seminal is good, either. Practically every movie after it uses stuff invented by Birth of a Nation, after all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You've never watched Birth of a Nation, shut up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

If they use whoever has done the new 52 stuff, then may god help us all.

It looks like I'm watching "Hack/Slash: the animated series".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chaos Hippy posted:

I do my best to cut you some slack because you're a kid, but you're really not making it easy. The Killing Joke may be an unpleasant read, but it's considered a seminal Batman story for a reason. And I say that as someone who will take any opportunity to poo poo on Alan Moore.
Alan Moore doesn't think highly of The Killing Joke these days either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Alan Moore doesn't think highly of The Killing Joke these days either.

Alan Moore doesn't think highly of most comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Hamill keeps saying he's retired but he's done like 3 "One last time!" things lately.

Though he's going to be Luke again so maybe he can give that voice a rest.

he would make a pretty sweet sith lord tbh

I got around to watching Gods and Monsters, and christ is it just really depressing throughout, and in that way I kind of associate it with Flashpoint for both being alternate history DC stories where everyone is a dick and only death is certain. I mean, I liked it, and thought a Justice League made up of Kirk Langstrom, (not)Lor-Zod, and Bekka is more interesting and has a lot more potential than the stale trifecta that everyone knows and loves, but the movie sort of beats you over the head with how much grittier and edgier this world is even as it evokes the same aesthetic as the BTAS/STAS/JLU canon (which wasn't all rainbows and sunshine, but was a lot more optimistic and light-hearted). Funnily enough, the fact that Superman and Wonder Woman wipe out a battalion of government jackboot types gets glossed over by Lois blubbering over how wrong she was about the Justice League, and a sort of weak suggestion by Supes that maybe they should stop brutally slaughtering everyone. Kirk is my new favorite bishonen Batman, at least!

• Locked thread