Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Best Final Fantasy game is V. Come join the Fiesta.

(Actually, has any internet reviewer talked about/played the FFV Fiesta? Seems like an interesting subject)

I always thought 6 was the best Final Fantasy. But no one talks about it. It's either all 7 or how crazy the later games are.

In terms of gaming moments you will never top this http://youtu.be/hPcNi7oYm6M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BigRed0427 posted:

I always thought 6 was the best Final Fantasy. But no one talks about it. It's either all 7 or how crazy the later games are.

In terms of gaming moments you will never top this http://youtu.be/hPcNi7oYm6M

7 was the game that popularized JRPG's in the west and was one of the first big games on PS1 that launched it over the N64 so it have a it more fondness then 6, even though say 6 is like the last great sprite base game and is better then 7, it also the only RPG I know that is a assemble cast and not one guy is the hero like cloud and lighting where it can get a big mary sue or in lighting case, the head dev's wafiu.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
New Baywatching! Cary Tagawa stalks Mitch with a samurai sword.
http://phelous.com/2015/06/11/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-war-of-nerves/

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SFDebris' comics retrospective is rolling on. It's pretty interesting and informative. I'm actually kind of surprised he beat Linkara to the punch on this-but then I suppose Linkara's busy with numerous other projects.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

This is amazing. :allears:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The main issue with The Lost World is that the script needed anoter draft. There are some wierd plotholes and continuity errors that should have been patched up - that bit where the same POV shot runs at the merc twice always confused me, for example. The new characters aren't that interesting, but it has some fun set pieces, and Jeff Goldblum knocks out of the (ahem) park. And Eli Roth has his first acting credit as "Unlucky Bastard", which is amusing. It doesn't have the same sense of awe or spectacle as the original. Three is a by the numbers quick and cheap B-movie, pretty forgettable aside from having the Jurassic Park name attached, and Sam Neil looks half asleep for a lot of it.

I did always find it funny that Igen's plan for the new attraction was to parade the dinosaurs around a hilariously tiny stadium on the mainland. Dinosaur safari is one thing, putting them all in a tiny paddock on que just sounds like an awful idea. Look at the model they have of the stadium they plan to bulid - how would the dinosaurs even fit in a buliding that cramped?

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 11, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

While I don't really like TLW for never really acknowledging that most of the main characters are murderers, the tiny stadium makes sense. The point of the film is that while Hammond Sr was an old nature lover who just wanted to recreate the wonder of a bygone era, the new Ingen guys were purely profit motivated and to achieve that didn't want to bother maintaining a full safari. Instead they'd just replicate Sea World right down to some of the logos. It honestly would have made a better film if it ended after the Trex capture, and a sequel had picked up five years later with abused dinosaurs killing their handlers ala Tilikum.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: Jurassic Park Discussion Thread

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds more like a miniseries than a movie, that way.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

quakster posted:

Sounds more like a miniseries than a movie, that way.

Oh what could have been...

No wait I think TV sucked at the time, never mind, would be a cool idea today though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Well at least James liked it
http://cinemassacre.com/2015/06/12/jurassic-world-2015-movie-review/

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Or you could form your own opinions

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Oh I know my opinions of it already, that I'm going to enjoy it even if it is the dumbest movie in all of existence.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Terrible Opinions posted:

While I don't really like TLW for never really acknowledging that most of the main characters are murderers, the tiny stadium makes sense. The point of the film is that while Hammond Sr was an old nature lover who just wanted to recreate the wonder of a bygone era, the new Ingen guys were purely profit motivated and to achieve that didn't want to bother maintaining a full safari. Instead they'd just replicate Sea World right down to some of the logos. It honestly would have made a better film if it ended after the Trex capture, and a sequel had picked up five years later with abused dinosaurs killing their handlers ala Tilikum.

The Jurassic Park stadium was built on John Hammond's orders, Ludlow explained this himself during the investor meeting just before the camp rampage. The original plan was to have the dinosaurs showcased in San Diego, but after Hammond realized what he had created, his ambition grew, and that's when the island plan with Nublar and Sorna was set up. If you want a really cool, semi-canon look at what Isle Sorna and the origin of the InGen dinosaurs were like, watch the Jurassic Time videos. They take audio recorded for the game Tresspasser voiced by Richard Attenborough and create a mini biography.

Here's the first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5lwP1MbpZw&feature=iv&src_vid=kLvTLdcnJw4&annotation_id=annotation_239676

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Oh what could have been...

No wait I think TV sucked at the time, never mind, would be a cool idea today though.

Good thing to remember: For all the crap media that's put out, this is still pretty much the best era of television, especially if you like drama.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Jurassic Park stadium was built on John Hammond's orders, Ludlow explained this himself during the investor meeting just before the camp rampage. The original plan was to have the dinosaurs showcased in San Diego, but after Hammond realized what he had created, his ambition grew, and that's when the island plan with Nublar and Sorna was set up. If you want a really cool, semi-canon look at what Isle Sorna and the origin of the InGen dinosaurs were like, watch the Jurassic Time videos. They take audio recorded for the game Tresspasser voiced by Richard Attenborough and create a mini biography.

Here's the first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5lwP1MbpZw&feature=iv&src_vid=kLvTLdcnJw4&annotation_id=annotation_239676

It is heretical to mention Trespasser and not tell people to watch ResearchIndicates' LP :colbert:

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

And another Baywatching! I know, it's not Jurassic Park, but it'll have to do.
http://phelous.com/2015/06/12/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-big-monday/

EDIT: Oh but for good dinosaur television, the first couple seasons of Primeval are great.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
I have one text thing, one podcast, and one video to share with you! OH BOY!

One of our ANN writers put together a short article on some of the classic literary allusions and references in Psycho-Pass. It's a great read if you've seen the show, and if not, maybe it'll intrigue you to check it out, cause Psycho-Pass is good poo poo.

ANNCast podcast series discussion came around to TRIGUN which means it's mostly me gushing, made much more fun by having some opposition to my enthusiasm on the podcast. Yeah, the show hasn't aged too well. But we discuss the pros and cons of this decades past once-hit.

Finally, another musical countdown! The top ten opening theme songs of 2009! ...Oh boy. (It was a bad year for anime, right after the industry's bubble-burst. So at least it's a very unique list!)

Also, saw Jurassic World. It was bad. But after the interminable first act is over, it has lots of fun moments and fuckyeah dinosaur action in it, so it's not so bad. It's much more enjoyable than most joylessly bad blockbusters that have come out recently. But yeah, go in with low expectations. Also goddamn does it give a constant sloppy blowjob to the original film from start to finish. Depending on who you are, that may make the movie better or worse. It did not improve my experience at all. Only the setpieces did, most of them in the third act. But yeah, could have been a looooot worse.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jay O posted:

I have one text thing, one podcast, and one video to share with you! OH BOY!

One of our ANN writers put together a short article on some of the classic literary allusions and references in Psycho-Pass. It's a great read if you've seen the show, and if not, maybe it'll intrigue you to check it out, cause Psycho-Pass is good poo poo.

ANNCast podcast series discussion came around to TRIGUN which means it's mostly me gushing, made much more fun by having some opposition to my enthusiasm on the podcast. Yeah, the show hasn't aged too well. But we discuss the pros and cons of this decades past once-hit.

Finally, another musical countdown! The top ten opening theme songs of 2009! ...Oh boy. (It was a bad year for anime, right after the industry's bubble-burst. So at least it's a very unique list!)

Also, saw Jurassic World. It was bad. But after the interminable first act is over, it has lots of fun moments and fuckyeah dinosaur action in it, so it's not so bad. It's much more enjoyable than most joylessly bad blockbusters that have come out recently. But yeah, go in with low expectations. Also goddamn does it give a constant sloppy blowjob to the original film from start to finish. Depending on who you are, that may make the movie better or worse. It did not improve my experience at all. Only the setpieces did, most of them in the third act. But yeah, could have been a looooot worse.

I would argue that Trigun's aged alright. I actually only saw it for the first time last year, and I thought it was pretty good.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Mr. Fowl posted:

I would argue that Trigun's aged alright. I actually only saw it for the first time last year, and I thought it was pretty good.

Yeah it kinda depends on who you are and what you're looking for! (Which is what we discuss in the podcast.) I think the story and characters are outstanding and the aesthetic/design is one of a kind. The production values, execution, and tone however...

So it's a give and take. Still one of my favorite sci fi stories ever, kinda combining the best parts of the anime and the manga into my head for a full loving embrace of the story.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I sure hope for your sake that a studio doesn't decide to make another Trigun anime adapting all the material like they did with FMAB.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Trigun has great character designs let down by pretty bad animation. I felt they saved their entire budget for the fight between Vash and Knives, and even that wasn't exactly stellar. I did feel it fell apart towards the end, but I guess that has more to do with me liking individual episodes over serialized stuff.

THAT SAID, Badlands Rumble is pretty drat entertaining.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Miss Wallace posted:

I can see Mitch's soulmate being a mysterious man who gives Mitch the credit for all his own saves. :allears:

Also I know the episode isn't public yet but holy cow the Gilligan's Island episode is amazing. :magical: I hope this doesn't mean the show has peaked already, 'cause that's gonna be hard to beat in silliness.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Mraagvpeine posted:

I sure hope for your sake that a studio doesn't decide to make another Trigun anime adapting all the material like they did with FMAB.

The best comparison in this case is more Hellsing Ultimate. Right down to the "was originally adapted into a crappy TV series" thing. Hellsing and Trigun have zippo to do with one another thematically/narratively, but on a surface level of history, aesthetic, etc., they're like blood brothers.

And I would love that. Even the parts of the manga that I don't like so much, of which there are many. (Lookin' at you Livio/Lazlo.) I would still love to see it animated.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Miss Wallace posted:

EDIT: Oh but for good dinosaur television, the first couple seasons of Primeval are great.

I love imagining the pitch for these episodes. I bet the writer was all excited to do some character development with Mitch and then at some point somebody had to mention that the Hoff cannot act even a little bit.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I would love Trigun to get Hellsing Ultimate treatment, save for the chunks of the final episodes (where it's just long, tedious exposition dumps) I really dug that show a whole heck of a lot. Gave off the whole 80's/90's excess of bad violent anime while being pretty good and extremely entertaining to watch.

But ho boy, with Trigun Wolfwood's death was just a fantastic emotional thing for me. I teared up something fierce. I was coming off of DBZ, those bad violent excessive anime at the time and just light-hearted action shows so it was a new experience of an anime treating death with some gravity was something new. That scene still sticks with me to this day.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 12, 2015

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wasn't hellsing ultimate the one where they're like "this person has a terrible past, she was shot as a kid and her mom was shot too and died and while she was shot she had to watch her mom's corpse get raped by her murderers"

That's supposed to be more faithful to the manga?? Makes me glad I never got into hellsing...

e: trigun is good but I don't wanna watch it again because I probably won't like it as much. I read a little bit of how it differs from the manga though and I'm glad the anime didn't adapt any of the child sex slave rape poo poo

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 12, 2015

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Wasn't hellsing ultimate the one where they're like "this person has a terrible past, she was shot as a kid and her mom was shot too and died and while she was shot she had to watch her mom's corpse get raped by her murderers"

That's supposed to be more faithful to the manga?? Makes me glad I never got into hellsing...

e: trigun is good but I don't wanna watch it again because I probably won't like it as much. I read a little bit of how it differs from the manga though and I'm glad the anime didn't adapt any of the child sex slave rape poo poo

Yeah if you're not into the ol' ultra violence you're better off skipping Hellsing, since it gets a lot of worse than that. Still is one of my favorite series tho.

As is Trigun. Being one of the first animes I've ever seen it really left a mark on me. Also the manga isn't that bad, the thing you mentioned happens in like...2 chapters or so? At the end of the manga. And its not exactly plot important so you can safely skip it if you can't handle it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I would recommend watching Team Fourstars Hellsing Ultimate Abridged which is basically Hellsing Ultimate only slightly more goofy

The show has some edgy moments like that and Nazi vampires eating babies, but the characters are so fun and the music is great and I love that most of the characters have satisfying endings/deaths. Personal favorite would have to be Alexander Anderson who is a giant health regenerating Scottish warrior priest with infinite holy bayonets who also cares about the children in his orphanage. That and the Major just because he's a just a :smug: prick

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Anyone who likes Trigun should be reading and watching Blood Blockade Battlefront.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I would recommend watching Team Fourstars Hellsing Ultimate Abridged which is basically Hellsing Ultimate only slightly more goofy

The show has some edgy moments like that and Nazi vampires eating babies, but the characters are so fun and the music is great and I love that most of the characters have satisfying endings/deaths. Personal favorite would have to be Alexander Anderson who is a giant health regenerating Scottish warrior priest with infinite holy bayonets who also cares about the children in his orphanage. That and the Major just because he's a just a :smug: prick

I finished going through all of Dragonball Z Abridged and holy poo poo, why did I put that off for so long? Their versions of Krillin and Vegeta are just so much fun.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Rodyle posted:

Anyone who likes Trigun should be reading and watching Blood Blockade Battlefront.

This A Lot.

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, Hellsing is grimdark edgy grimdark. I enjoy it (although the ending kinda fucks it all up by trying to take itself seriously and eroding away the fun) but it's gore and spectacle for its own sake and you have to be the kind of person who can have fun embracing that and only that. If you are, it's a great ride.

As for Trigun, the "child sex slave rape poo poo" is not really significant. (What a sentence.) Aside from the requisite heaps of blood n' gore, the manga is waaaaay more tasteful than most of the 90s DC or Marvel comics it was cribbing from. It does happen to take place in a grim Mad Max hellscape, but it doesn't revel in grimdark, doesn't feature hideous objectification of women or minorities at all, not any of that. As gritty comics go, it's a nearly cringe-free read taste-wise. (The taste in character and monster design is more dubious, but who doesn't love ludicrous leather-bound excess?) Anyway, short version is: Slavery Exists on Gunsmoke, largely women and children, sometimes they're used for labor, sometimes for sex, in the worst case for healthy organs being extracted and sold over time, but it's just relegated to dialogue and off-panel implication. There's no rape scenes in the comics at all, with the exception of the one scene you probably read about and are referencing. That would be Legato's backstory. He was a child sex slave, and yes, they do show it a little bit. He tries to escape, it doesn't work, he's getting raped as punishment right when Knives shows up to "rescue" him. It's horrifying, but it's supposed to be. Happens near the very end of the comics, so trigger warning for that I guess, but having brushed up on the manga shortly before doing that podcast, it's honestly very tasteful for a "gritty 90's Mad Max sci fi comic." Nightow treats women really well. To say nothing of Elindira, a dude-in-drag (or translady, it's not entirely clear) who is never played for laughs, objectified, or ridiculed. He's just a guy in makeup and women's clothes, who takes himself very seriously and kicks a lot of rear end. So yeah, I stand by those comics. They're a good read.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 13, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

I finished going through all of Dragonball Z Abridged and holy poo poo, why did I put that off for so long? Their versions of Krillin and Vegeta are just so much fun.

The TFS Dragonball characters have pretty much overwrote my memories of the actual DBZ characters. :allears:

What's been really great is seeing the guys interactions with the actual dub voice actors Its cool that they've embraced it so much. Hell, Takahata101 is actually one of the Dragonball Xenoverse avatar voice options, and half his quotes are things from DBZA.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Trigun is terrible. So much screen time is spent with the main character trying to make you laugh but it's not funny at all.

People telling me that it is good is one of the main reasons I'm leery about anime recommendations now

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The TFS Dragonball characters have pretty much overwrote my memories of the actual DBZ characters. :allears:

What's been really great is seeing the guys interactions with the actual dub voice actors Its cool that they've embraced it so much. Hell, Takahata101 is actually one of the Dragonball Xenoverse avatar voice options, and half his quotes are things from DBZA.
A shame AOT couldn't have become a thing

One of the most rewarding aspects of watching DBZA is watching the show evolve from monkey cheese :lol: meme humor to something that is consistently funny/edited. I'm glad that their patreon is doing really well

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

One of the most rewarding aspects of watching DBZA is watching the show evolve from monkey cheese :lol: meme humor to something that is consistently funny/edited. I'm glad that their patreon is doing really well

What makes it work so well is that even though it's mainly a comedic version of BDZ, they know how to treat certain scenes with respect and heft. (The Death of Gohan, Goku arriving on Namek, The reveal of Cell)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

achillesforever6 posted:

Their AoT ended perfectly and I'm not sure how they could improve on it.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

Also I know the episode isn't public yet but holy cow the Gilligan's Island episode is amazing. :magical: I hope this doesn't mean the show has peaked already, 'cause that's gonna be hard to beat in silliness.

It's definitely one of the most memorable bad episodes, but certainly not the dumbest the show ever got. They also did a Charlie's Angels one later!

HopperUK posted:

I love imagining the pitch for these episodes. I bet the writer was all excited to do some character development with Mitch and then at some point somebody had to mention that the Hoff cannot act even a little bit.

I think people don't give Hasselhoff enough credit for his acting, because I have seen him give some great performances (Even on Baywatch!). I'm in the minority here, but I loved his performance in Jekyll and Hyde the Musical. But the Hoff is at his best when smothered in cheese, and that's why Baywatch is great.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

IronicDongz posted:

Trigun is terrible. So much screen time is spent with the main character trying to make you laugh but it's not funny at all.

People telling me that it is good is one of the main reasons I'm leery about anime recommendations now

I can't stand Trigun, mostly because Vash is so dedicated to his philosophy that it actively runs counter to his agency. I distinctly remember several incidents where dozens of people die because of his inability to act, and it really pissed me off at the time, not because I wanted him to go in guns blazing to take down the bad guy, cause that's not who he is and that's not what the show's about, but he also didn't do any damage control at all, or preventive actions, or try to think of creative ways to either save people or stop more destruction from happening.

I really liked the style, music, and tone of the series when it started and found Vash to be a really enjoyable protagonist, but by the end I hated him and his hypocritical beliefs.

achillesforever6 posted:

Pretty sure that's cause they got rid of the Naruto Abridged guy, who sucked as a voice actor and wrote poo poo jokes. Once he was gone the show got much, much better very quickly. Though that meant they should've technically been called Team ThreeStar, and now you know why that's a joke :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

nine-gear crow posted:

Hell, TFS Vegeta is the voice of Vegeta in my head now.

• Locked thread