Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Tinkoff-Saxo's new disappearing crotch technology is coming along nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Bardet's on a stormer today.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band

serious gaylord posted:

Bardet's on a stormer today.

Yeah, that decent was loving amazing. I wish he'd managed to hold onto to more time on the last climb.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Not a lot of respect for TJVG from the announcers today, even after he beat Froome.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Withnail posted:

Not a lot of respect for TJVG from the announcers today, even after he beat Froome.

Don't know whose coverage you were watching but the guy Eurosport has doing play-by-play for this race is the. loving. Worst. At least Ligget and Sherwen have senility as en excuse, this guy is just terrible.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Finally got to watch today's stage (it was really early for some reason?)

Bardet owns. Tejay owns. Inexhausti owns. I guess Froome's ok.

Sky Train killed some people today. RIP

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Paddyb posted:

Finally got to watch today's stage (it was really early for some reason?)

Bardet owns. Tejay owns. Inexhausti owns. I guess Froome's ok.

Sky Train killed some people today. RIP

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/translink-ceo-apologizes-to-passengers-for-skytrain-shutdown-not-good-enough-1.3107637

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Froome went too early. They should know how long he can go on an attack.

Nibali's not even racing is he?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Nibali had to pull off with a few K to go. He had a very 'gently caress this poo poo' face.

Withnail fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 12, 2015

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
That's what i meant, like "welp that's my
training for the day". He doesn't look near where he was last year.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

first of many victories for sram wireless?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

He looked very similar last year to be fair. Doesn't seem to put any effort in for this race until the end.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Paddyb posted:

He's probably withdrawing a bit of blood every day storing up for the tour. Quintana is gonna smoke him all the same.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Am I wrong in saying last year he dgaf until the Italian national champs immediately before the Tour.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Pocket posted:

Am I wrong in saying last year he dgaf until the Italian national champs immediately before the Tour.

serious gaylord posted:

He looked very similar last year to be fair. Doesn't seem to put any effort in for this race until the end.

Exactly, he was so invisible last year leading up to the Tour that Vino famously sent him a "get your poo poo together" letter before the Tour. He does his own thing and clearly doesn't give a gently caress what anyone thinks about his results up to now. The only time you saw him try anything was in the Ardennes and he was marked like crazy.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Seems like he gives a gently caress today.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Him and Valverde. Going on the attack 80km out and just laughing at BMC trying to reel them back in.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I didn't see the stage but from the reports I've read this sounds like it was raced at an eyebrow raising pace. What's the take from you guys that actually saw it?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

I didn't see the stage but from the reports I've read this sounds like it was raced at an eyebrow raising pace. What's the take from you guys that actually saw it?

The roads were wet and there were lots of technical descents, but 5 guys effectively held off the entire peloton for 90km. There were 3 teams on the front at one point and the gap was still getting bigger.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Don't I look silly

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

The roads were wet and there were lots of technical descents, but 5 guys effectively held off the entire peloton for 90km. There were 3 teams on the front at one point and the gap was still getting bigger.

gently caress I can't wait for the Tour where we'll see the fastest expected arrival times beaten daily.

I'll admit to being cynical af in regards to pro cycling but the Giro was an alarm bell. If they continue this form in the Dauphine, Suisse and the Tour it's p much the return to the good ol days.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You've got to think today was a bit of an abberation though. Lots of riders who didnt want to risk crashing and ending their tour before it begins means they're not going to go hell for leather. And when you have Nibali, Valverde and Tony Martin going downhill they really are going to shift some. Their long range attack did shed a poo poo tonne of riders from Sky/BMC and Tinkoff too so it wasn't like they had massive numbers to try and reel them in, nor any long flatish sections to get some of the more powerful riders that cant climb on the front. But still, getting dropped fairly easily the day before to that is a bit much.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pocket posted:

gently caress I can't wait for the Tour where we'll see the fastest expected arrival times beaten daily.

I'll admit to being cynical af in regards to pro cycling but the Giro was an alarm bell. If they continue this form in the Dauphine, Suisse and the Tour it's p much the return to the good ol days.

Its gonna be buck wild, back to the Riise days. People braking around corners going uphill. Quintana is gonna be doing 8 watts/kg. British fraud Cookson allowed this to happen. Sky started the arms race again and will get absolutely destroyed.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

Its gonna be buck wild, back to the Riise days. People braking around corners going uphill. Quintana is gonna be doing 8 watts/kg. British fraud Cookson allowed this to happen. Sky started the arms race again and will get absolutely destroyed.

Remember Froome hit the brakes on a corner 2 years back. No one blinked an eye lid.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I've gone through all the stages of grief and now I'm like gently caress it, at least we'll get great racing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hmm yes Armstrong style great racing, can't wait

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

serious gaylord posted:

You've got to think today was a bit of an abberation though. Lots of riders who didnt want to risk crashing and ending their tour before it begins means they're not going to go hell for leather. And when you have Nibali, Valverde and Tony Martin going downhill they really are going to shift some. Their long range attack did shed a poo poo tonne of riders from Sky/BMC and Tinkoff too so it wasn't like they had massive numbers to try and reel them in, nor any long flatish sections to get some of the more powerful riders that cant climb on the front. But still, getting dropped fairly easily the day before to that is a bit much.

As far as I understand, microdosing has become every bit as effective as blatant stick a needle in the arm before the race.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

evil_bunnY posted:

Hmm yes Armstrong style great racing, can't wait

Eh, the Giro was fun if a tad unbelievable at times. As long as they don't start attacking on the bottom of Ventoux and go to the finish its not that bad.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

serious gaylord posted:

Eh, the Giro was fun if a tad unbelievable at times. As long as they don't start attacking on the bottom of Ventoux and go to the finish its not that bad.

On the day after they blow up completely.

Jan Ulrich you champ. :allears:

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011
At least Nibali doesn't seem to be totally on the top of his game today.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Froome does, though

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I knew nothing good could come from working with Chris Froome

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

gently caress Froome

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
:911:

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

Paddyb posted:

I knew nothing good could come from working with Chris Froome

Yellow jersey isn't too bad.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Paddyb posted:

Don't I look silly

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Has Van Garderen ever showed climbing form like this before? I always pegged him as more of a time trialist who could hang on in the mountains, but he's been hugely impressive on these climbs.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

Has Van Garderen ever showed climbing form like this before? I always pegged him as more of a time trialist who could hang on in the mountains, but he's been hugely impressive on these climbs.

He almost won alpe de huez if not for a fan loving with him maybe

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

clean ayers act posted:

He's not an explosive climber but he's got the legs once he settles into a rhythm. His problem has always been consistency, he always has that Richie Porte-style one bad day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Daily Bad Paddyb Tip:

The last 50k tomorrow is perfect for the Sky Train but they'll cut Froome loose too early again and he'll fail, spinning like a stupid 8 year old.