Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

So, you have been out for 2 years and feel weird without a cover hat?

It's the first time I've been at a job, wearing a "uniform" (polo with logo), and wearing my boots again maybe contributed. But yeah, it's been two years and I still had that gut feeling. That's why I thought it was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Blue squares can you paint this on my car I'll give you a case of beer

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

blue squares posted:

It's the first time I've been at a job, wearing a "uniform" (polo with logo), and wearing my boots again maybe contributed. But yeah, it's been two years and I still had that gut feeling. That's why I thought it was funny.

Maybe it was because despite having ostensibly having been trained to do something more difficult/important, your superiors felt your skillset was better suited to slinging paint. That's probably what your gut was noticing.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

blue squares posted:

They're the tan suede boots does this help? I need fashion advice from a bunch of ex military bros
T-shirt
Jeans
Boots
No fucks to give

All you ever need.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Beard
Flannel/plaid
Form fitting jeans
Converse
Douche bag beanie
Wayfarers

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Beard
Flannel/plaid
Form fitting jeans
Converse
Douche bag beanie
Wayfarers

Don't hate. Instead of converse I got some asiics and no beanie.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You cannot go half in between blue collar and white collar work if you want to succeed in either of them. Either you're going to be a :laugh: best selling author :laugh: or you're going to be selling paint as a glorified retail jockey. Remember, you're what, two years in to the GI bill gravy train now? Two and a half? It might only be a year, I don't give enough of a gently caress to actually remember. You're on borrowed time now either way, son. You're going to be out of school and out of benefits faster than you realize.

Our generation is absolutely positively hosed if you want to do any sort of non blue collar skilled work. It's not even a matter of saying "oh, you need a bachelors now". A bachelors is a baseline requirement along with "is not publicly a member of ISIS". Every single applicant for every single job worth a poo poo (yes, that's a slight amount of hyperbole, but only slight) has a bachelors. Internships - real internships - are the defining feature of that level of education now. With the GI bill, you have the opportunity to get field relevant, non-paying internships that have directly applied experience in addition to the standard paid internships. You know who else can do that without eating ramen? Rich folk that not only don't have to pay for school, they don't need to work for pocket money. Congrats, the GI bill can give you one of the most important aspects of finding employment as a recent college graduate regardless of your past background: the freedom to spend your time planning for the future instead of surviving for the present.

Quick note: when I mean non-paying internships I mean the ones that pay you in credits, because a completely unpaid internship is kinda not legal in a lot of ways anymore. Credits which are then paid for by the GI bill, so really any internship sanctioned by your school is a paying internship.

You mean to tell me that there's no non-paying internships that your departments can offer? There's no summer classes to take, no foreign travel at a university somewhere? gently caress me, even my state school will send you to Europe or Australia for the summer and get credits at another university. Have you even written anything substantial that wasn't for classwork? You got a retail "internship" at a paint company. STEM interns start at/around 20-ish dollars an hour for the paid summer ones that are handed out like candy, finance summer internships pay more than most people make in a year. You're doing something that pays what I made as a 16 year old in the summer stocking shelves at night, in 2000-2001. Yeah, you've mentioned you're not doing it for money in the past. That's cool, while the GI bill is still paying out. Give us a ring when that gravy train runs out of steam.

You're going to end up like everyone's friends that are still in the same socioeconomic situation when they get back from the military after 6 years. You know the guys, the ones that in six years time are pushing their late 20s and their claim to fame is assistant manager at the same job they were in during high school. You're going to end up like those dudes having squandered the literal golden ticket, the silver bullet to giving yourself a future.

gently caress me, this is too many words. What's the best choice for a gloss paint for my bathroom? I am 100% for real considering repainting my bathroom this weekend. Or is gloss paint old hat now? Is there anything new out in that field?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Willy Pete posted:

T-shirt
Jeans
Boots
No fucks to give
This plus beard and a roll of medical tape to keep my massive dick under control.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Not that Vasudus is wrong, but internship pay can vary. I've made anywhere from 10 bucks an hour to $250 a month plus show pay for internships at big name agencies or production companies.

My point being is any internship worth a poo poo, in my experience, pays. A paid internship means the work you're doing matters and the agency/company/firm has expectations of you. College credit is a given, too. The results show in your resume, and for hiring preferences down the road.

This is what I've seen doing advertising ones anyway. 10 an hour is standard.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Vasudus posted:

gently caress me, this is too many words. What's the best choice for a gloss paint for my bathroom? I am 100% for real considering repainting my bathroom this weekend. Or is gloss paint old hat now? Is there anything new out in that field?

Use an eggshell. That is what mostly goes into areas that get damp.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

Not that Vasudus is wrong, but internship pay can vary. I've made anywhere from 10 bucks an hour to $250 a month plus show pay for internships at big name agencies or production companies.

My point being is any internship worth a poo poo, in my experience, pays. A paid internship means the work you're doing matters and the agency/company/firm has expectations of you. College credit is a given, too. The results show in your resume, and for hiring preferences down the road.

Yeah, that's why I said that STEM internships are ~usually~ around 20/hour. That's roughly what a research assistant pulls. I know IT stuff starts at 15 and goes up to 22-ish. I'm also talking summer internships which in my experience pay more than regular semester ones (because it's usually shorter in duration). Main point being that internships are good, even if they're unpaid because credits are paid out by the GI Bill. To voluntarily pass on anything even remotely related to your field is boggling to me.

My client has a neuroscience PhD candidate interning with us this summer and she's pulling an obscene amount, but that's not really relevant to this point (other than saying gently caress me, that's a lot of money).

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I haven't cut my hair in over a year

not even a side burn trim

life is grand

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

elite_garbage_man posted:

I haven't cut my hair in over a year

not even a side burn trim

life is grand

Are you the hobo I dropped off in the next jurisdiction a couple weeks ago? We listened to zeppelin on the way & I gave you some cash for a sandwich heroin.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Beard
Flannel/plaid
Form fitting jeans
Converse
Douche bag beanie
Wayfarers

Maybe if you're coming from 2014 :rolleyes:

basically all the same, but ditch the beanie and put your longass hair in a top bun, and throw on a summer scarf too to complete the rear end in a top hat uniform.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thought those weren't cool anymore after this video

http://youtu.be/a8YgTaMyZRk

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

This is true in a very real sense. People who did unpaid internships actually had less success finding work after graduation than people who did none.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Thought those weren't cool anymore after this video

http://youtu.be/a8YgTaMyZRk

hipsters mad about other hipsters that don't conform to what they think is hipster

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

ded posted:

hipsters mad about other hipsters that don't conform to what they think is hipster
Maybe the hipster problem will solve itself when they start killing each other off.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
We definitely need more hipster on hipster crime.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Vasudus posted:

You're on borrowed time now either way, son. You're going to be out of school and out of benefits faster than you realize.
While this is absolutely true, it's not as if I'm living in luxury now and suddenly I'll be thrust into poverty. My GI Bill payments are $1466 per month minus the breaks in semesters. To make that much money working full time, I need to be paid $9.16/hr. I think I can manage to at the very least sustain my current lifestyle. Though of course I hope to do at least somewhat better.

quote:

Internships - real internships - are the defining feature of that level of education now. With the GI bill, you have the opportunity to get field relevant, non-paying internships that have directly applied experience in addition to the standard paid internships. You know who else can do that without eating ramen? Rich folk that not only don't have to pay for school, they don't need to work for pocket money. Congrats, the GI bill can give you one of the most important aspects of finding employment as a recent college graduate regardless of your past background: the freedom to spend your time planning for the future instead of surviving for the present.
This is an excellent point, and here I have thus far failed. Why? I've been lazy. I need to absolutely do better. So far I have my internship/future job in the University Writing Center, which I've mentioned. By the time I graduate, I will have done hundreds of one-on-one writing consultations with students, including working a LOT with ESL students. This is good experience and it pays me $12/hr. However, I need to be doing more than just that, and over the next two years, I intend to, and not just during the summer.

quote:

You got a retail "internship" at a paint company. STEM interns start at/around 20-ish dollars an hour for the paid summer ones that are handed out like candy, finance summer internships pay more than most people make in a year. You're doing something that pays what I made as a 16 year old in the summer stocking shelves at night, in 2000-2001.
Yeah, you guys have managed to make me feel a little shittier about my current job, but based on the extra-circulars we do (sales program project, sales calls, conference in dallas) I can make it sound better in an interview. I at least have excellent interview skills. I decided last minute that I wasn't taking classes this summer and scrambled to find something that pays, but I should have been setting stuff up earlier. Next summer I hope to do a Technical Writing internship for National Instruments, which pays a lot better than $12.

quote:

ProClassic oil-based with semi-gloss IMO. But if you're worried about mold and mildew go with one of the higher-end protects because they have anti-microbial additives.

p.s. my novel is coming along quite nicely and I am sure you will all have nothing but encouraging things to say.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 13, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ded posted:

It was actually a big troll and they posted a follow up video about how they knew all those people it was staged etc

Everyone ate it up though and it was funny

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Vasudus posted:

You cannot go half in between blue collar and white collar work if you want to succeed in either of them. Either you're going to be a :laugh: best selling author :laugh: or you're going to be selling paint as a glorified retail jockey. Remember, you're what, two years in to the GI bill gravy train now? Two and a half? It might only be a year, I don't give enough of a gently caress to actually remember. You're on borrowed time now either way, son. You're going to be out of school and out of benefits faster than you realize.

Our generation is absolutely positively hosed if you want to do any sort of non blue collar skilled work. It's not even a matter of saying "oh, you need a bachelors now". A bachelors is a baseline requirement along with "is not publicly a member of ISIS". Every single applicant for every single job worth a poo poo (yes, that's a slight amount of hyperbole, but only slight) has a bachelors. Internships - real internships - are the defining feature of that level of education now. With the GI bill, you have the opportunity to get field relevant, non-paying internships that have directly applied experience in addition to the standard paid internships. You know who else can do that without eating ramen? Rich folk that not only don't have to pay for school, they don't need to work for pocket money. Congrats, the GI bill can give you one of the most important aspects of finding employment as a recent college graduate regardless of your past background: the freedom to spend your time planning for the future instead of surviving for the present.

Quick note: when I mean non-paying internships I mean the ones that pay you in credits, because a completely unpaid internship is kinda not legal in a lot of ways anymore. Credits which are then paid for by the GI bill, so really any internship sanctioned by your school is a paying internship.

You mean to tell me that there's no non-paying internships that your departments can offer? There's no summer classes to take, no foreign travel at a university somewhere? gently caress me, even my state school will send you to Europe or Australia for the summer and get credits at another university. Have you even written anything substantial that wasn't for classwork? You got a retail "internship" at a paint company. STEM interns start at/around 20-ish dollars an hour for the paid summer ones that are handed out like candy, finance summer internships pay more than most people make in a year. You're doing something that pays what I made as a 16 year old in the summer stocking shelves at night, in 2000-2001. Yeah, you've mentioned you're not doing it for money in the past. That's cool, while the GI bill is still paying out. Give us a ring when that gravy train runs out of steam.

You're going to end up like everyone's friends that are still in the same socioeconomic situation when they get back from the military after 6 years. You know the guys, the ones that in six years time are pushing their late 20s and their claim to fame is assistant manager at the same job they were in during high school. You're going to end up like those dudes having squandered the literal golden ticket, the silver bullet to giving yourself a future.

so tiny

so angry

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Victor Vermis posted:

so tiny

so angry

Lmao

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

On the last episode of Orange is the New Black. This has been the best season yet.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Blue squares, do you know what taxes are and have taken them into account?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just came home from Jurassic World and it is an amazing movie.

Also I have decided to go to school wherever Vasudus works because he seems like a cool guy.

If I ever get out before the world ends.

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 13, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I don't pay taxes because I don't believe that I am subject to the tax code!

- Clearance is denied.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Do you know what they are? He won't owe poo poo from 3 months' work at $12/hr.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just lol'in

That's all

lol'in.

I gave up on GI bill and VR&E a long rear end time ago and I'm just going outta my own pocket to pay for this A.A.S. In Networking / IT and get my CIsco Certs.

There's no *real* money where I live outside of being white and a doctor or going blue collar. So the best I can hope for is IT (networking specifically) which is as close to in between white and blue as we've got here. Much more white than blue, collar wise. But you get the gist.

I figure a few years of that and I should be closer to figuring out a different permanent big boy job. Or stay in IT. Who knows.

Still lol'in, at the paint internship. But at least BS (natch) is trying. Failing mind you, but trying.

Love you blue squares. Keep on keeping on. I'll help you on that novel if your ever looking for creative feedback. Serious offer.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 13, 2015

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Vinyl floor tile glue is the work of satan

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

SperginMcBadposter posted:

been there

and yep

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Are you the hobo I dropped off in the next jurisdiction a couple weeks ago? We listened to zeppelin on the way & I gave you some cash for a sandwich heroin.

I used to keep my hair neat, and comb in every day after I got out from AD, then only cut it once a month when I did a short stint in the reserves.

Now I just slap a backwards hat on, and only cut it when it interferes with exercising. Like getting under the bar when I squat or my back when I bench. Though it has been bugging me for a while....I just don't give a gently caress enough to cut it this time around. Chicks seem to dig my hobo look too.

Also my hobo stench.

ps thanks for the drug money

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

get the tiles that already have the adhesive on them

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I'm pulling old ones up. getting the old glue off the wood subfloor is tedious as gently caress even with a heat gun.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Nah..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXnO_FxmHes

Casimir Radon posted:

Writing my screenplay in a Starbucks wasn't extreme enough, so now I'm working there too.

gently caress you.

My dream once I get my VA poo poo settled is to build a cult compound in colorado and work part time at a Starbucks.

Like half the staff of the ones around me are all petite 19-20 year old blondes with self esteem issues.

getting high and banging community college age chicks is the loving life and you are retarded if you think otherwise.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^lol, gonna have to put that on facebook

blue squares posted:

While this is absolutely true, it's not as if I'm living in luxury now and suddenly I'll be thrust into poverty. My GI Bill payments are $1466 per month minus the breaks in semesters. To make that much money working full time, I need to be paid $9.16/hr. I think I can manage to at the very least sustain my current lifestyle. Though of course I hope to do at least somewhat better.

You're getting the pell grant as well, right? RIGHT?

For me it was a free $2000 paycheck every quarter. If you're not signed up for FAFSA and getting that, you're loving yourself pretty hard.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Hahahaha, holy poo poo.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

^^lol, gonna have to put that on facebook

You're getting the pell grant as well, right? RIGHT?

For me it was a free $2000 paycheck every quarter. If you're not signed up for FAFSA and getting that, you're loving yourself pretty hard.

For some reason I didn't get awarded poo poo in all of last year. I went to my Vet office and the Financial Aid office and there was some poo poo about me getting too much money + unemployment. So I got by last year on just my BAH. I'm getting a cool $12,000 over the next two semesters though, it seems :aaaaa:

And yes, I forgot about taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

I'm pulling old ones up. getting the old glue off the wood subfloor is tedious as gently caress even with a heat gun.

Ohh. Ya. That sucks if you can't just lay over the top of the old ones. Get a scraper thing you can stand up and use they help.

• Locked thread