Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

GreatRedSpirit posted:

For anybody who wants to see a comparison in the FF4 Japanese and English script Tomato has been doing a side by side comparison of them on his site, Legends of Localization. He even covers some changes made in FF4 Easy Type and sometimes goes into a fan translation and where they did a good job and where they added from whole cloth. It's not complete and so far goes up to the Tower of Zot but it's still a great read if it piques your (general your) interest.

I didn't know about this, and I also didn't know that the J2E "transliteration" really wasn't. Thanks for the link, this was a really interesting way to spend a few hours reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

BlondRobin posted:

edit: * - note: not actually job #1 for legal, etc. translators, however. contracts don't need to read like the Joker.

As someone whose job occasionally requires poring over contracts, I disagree with this statement.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well, time to go chaos berserker risk. My first time being eligible to try some Berserker potluck too! I've never caught during preregs before....

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

FF6 might not have jumped off the deep end of self-aggrandizing wangst yet, but there's still a lot of moments like "I keep my dead girlfriend pickled in some guy's basement" that just make you question what the gently caress the writers were thinking.

I seem to be one of the few people willing to overlook the whole Basement Girlfriend subplot, if only because I view it as Cryogenic Freezing But With Magic Herbs, while everyone else apparently sees it as "Locke keeps his girlfriend's rotting corpse in a basement under the care of some weird old dude that does who-knows-what to the body in between Locke's creepy staring sessions." While kinda hosed up, it's not nearly as much as people make it out to be.

Granted, they really could've done without that whole bit to begin with. Maybe just not have Rachel's body in magical stasis or something, and just leave it as having her die while he was away. For Locke's closure (and to keep Phoenix magicite in the game), let Phoenix talk to her soul or something.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I thought she was basically in a coma hovering on death as a kid, like how when you get taken to zero HP you're KO'd but not 'dead' and can be revived, just that her situation was much more severe and as such Locke couldn't just break out Life or Life 2 he picked up from Magicite the party already had.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KataraniSword posted:

Interestingly, from everything I've seen from translators talking about the game, Joker Kefka is entirely a Ted Woolsey creation. In Japanese he almost seems like he's a little closer to Dilandau from Escaflowne.

It still warms my heart that both FF6 and the original Pokemon both had their stupid playground rumors validated in-game over a decade after people stopped bragging about it, thanks to the magic of people being able to pull apart their code in emulation.

His modified frogsiren was the cherry on top of the impossibly hilarious sequence breaking memory exploiting cake.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I really need to know how to do this. The 13 year old me demands his time spent looking for TNT and Golden Leaves and other poo poo be not in vain. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ49qOPag54 Here's the video outlining it, but it's kind of obnoxious.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

dotchan posted:

For those of you wanting to play (for fun) a FFT version of the FJF, here's a ruleset I tested a few times* and I think it makes for an interesting way to play FFT:

I'd been considering this too, and your rules are pretty much what I came up with. Only real difference is I had a "wild card" spot instead of MONSTERRISK, where you could roll either a monster or one of the unique jobs/characters. Great if you roll Agrias, not so great if you roll a monster or Rafa/Malak.

quote:

- I developed an everlasting hatred for Dancer/Bard on this run. None of their gimmicks were any useful in boss battles--they were not hitting hard enough to make the damage worth it, and the status ailments were not procing enough times before the bosses would catch up to them and murder them horribly.

Dancer/Bard owns, though. What you do is use speed/CT altering abilities like Speed Song or Last Dance to get way more turns than the enemy.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

EDIT: In retrospect, I really shouldn't continue running this into the ground.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 11, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PSX version doesn't like me.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Holy poo poo you found Missingno.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

dis astranagant posted:

There must be something up with PSX games because something very similar occasionally happens with my PSN copy of FF7

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Mountaineer posted:

Dancer/Bard owns, though. What you do is use speed/CT altering abilities like Speed Song or Last Dance to get way more turns than the enemy.

Except those aren't guaranteed procs either, and a lot of boss arenas are too small to be kiting the boss around while you wait to build power; Dycedarg's Elder Brother in particular starts within smiting range and never lets up. (Admittedly, a problem that was solvable with more levels, and eventually I was indeed able to speed song/last dance my way to victory, but man was that ever a slog.)

Anyway, back to FFV--I beat it once with !Rapid firing, dual-weilding Magic Knights (that became double casting Mimics I think), but all I remember of the playthrough in any detail was slamming my face into Omega over and over again because I didn't discover the true secret to Huge Power. (I also was an obsessive completionist and mastered all of the job classes even if I wasn't using most of them--and I didn't realize that doing so would've made Freelancer super awesome.)

Thunder Sheep
Apr 3, 2009

Did a No-750, Berserker risk, natural run last year. This year I am just gonna do fun stuff like classic and chaos. Let's have a good time everyone.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

KataraniSword posted:

FF6 might not have jumped off the deep end of self-aggrandizing wangst yet, but there's still a lot of moments like "I keep my dead girlfriend pickled in some guy's basement" that just make you question what the gently caress the writers were thinking.

I think people who think of it like "eww gross a pickled corpse in the basement" are overthinking it when the writers were trying to evoke something closer to Sleeping Beauty or Zelda or something where this angelic woman is just lying in state; that said they should've just had her hit her head and fall into a coma because of him instead of hitting her head, losing her memory, being left, then getting her memory back just in time to be killed by the Empire or whatever

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

dis astranagant posted:

I was playing the PSX version a few years back on an emulator, and I remember that pulling up the save screen did some wonky things. I'll have to do that again eventually, because the screwiness persisted until you closed the pause menu completely and I remember that the characters actually looked pretty cool all glitched up. It kinda just mixed and matched color palletes and jobs, and the result was shockingly good-looking.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I was playing the PSX version a few years back on an emulator, and I remember that pulling up the save screen did some wonky things. I'll have to do that again eventually, because the screwiness persisted until you closed the pause menu completely and I remember that the characters actually looked pretty cool all glitched up. It kinda just mixed and matched color palletes and jobs, and the result was shockingly good-looking.

Man, all my PSX version did was remove all the sprites and text from the menu screen. And it lasted until the game was reset.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think people who think of it like "eww gross a pickled corpse in the basement" are overthinking it when the writers were trying to evoke something closer to Sleeping Beauty or Zelda or something where this angelic woman is just lying in state; that said they should've just had her hit her head and fall into a coma because of him instead of hitting her head, losing her memory, being left, then getting her memory back just in time to be killed by the Empire or whatever

They were going more for Locke having hangups over not being there for someone when he was needed than oafishly letting his girlfriend fall off a cliff. If you go with "Whoops she's in a coma from a freak accident haha" his creepy and insistent knight-in-shining-armor behavior towards Terra/Celes loses a lot of its melodrama.

Whatever, it works. This is a game where the protagonist, deuteragonist and villain were all products of human experimentation and the world blows up. Locke having an unhealthy fixation on his pickled girlfriend is tame by comparison.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF6 is a game where a mad man throws his infant son into a monster-infested plain, a knight watches his entire kingdom including his family die of poison, and a town ends up having nobody but orphaned children after all the parents are killed by the villain. Also Moogle genocide.

One man keeping his girlfriend's corpse in the basement isn't too crazy in comparison.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

FF6 is a game where a mad man throws his infant son into a monster-infested plain, a knight watches his entire kingdom including his family die of poison, and a town ends up having nobody but orphaned children after all the parents are killed by the villain. Also Moogle genocide.

One man keeping his girlfriend's corpse in the basement isn't too crazy in comparison.

To make no mention of the castle that doubles as a sand-submarine. I still think that one may top anything else the series has done in terms of pure insanity.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

E: actually you know what that's pretty off topic I'll take it elsewhere

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Mega64 posted:

Man do I love FFVI. :allears:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Bufuman posted:

To make no mention of the castle that doubles as a sand-submarine. I still think that one may top anything else the series has done in terms of pure insanity.

FF8 had high schools double as floating cars.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Asiina posted:

More like a ridable lawnmower with how fast the garden moves

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Mega64 posted:

God, it really was such a bleak game at heart. The best you could manage was a shockingly harsh (for the time) pyrrhic victory in the end. The world population is decimated. The Espers are wiped from existence. Magic is gone because you had to kill a literal god of magic (who already won, for all intents and purposes. Everything else was gravy for him.). The planet is reshapped entirely forever....

Best FF.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

GreatRedSpirit posted:

More like a ridable lawnmower with how fast the garden moves

At least it didn't run out of gas.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
He didn't even hit me. Bards are kind of rad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

OzFactor posted:

He didn't even hit me. Bards are kind of rad.

Is... is Bartz disco dancing? I knew Bartz really is a Dancer at heart.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Butz is giving Exdeath the finger.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Butz is giving Exdeath the finger.

That's pretty much how the fight went, too: I didn't even need him to attack so I just let him keep singing.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Signed up, pledged against my failure (I'll donate if I succeed too, but I wanted to help my motivation), paid for my #reg #BERSERKERRISK, psyched as hell about this. Last time I played FFV was when the GBA version came out last time I beat it was with the SNES fan patch, and I heard about this last year too late in early September.

I suspect I'll be really rusty, since I'm the kind of person who could only beat FFVI with copious Vanish/Doom abuse when I was a kid, but that's what IRC is for!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I'm considering doing this year's run on my iPhone 6+. Can I take screenshots with that device, or do I need an iPad or something?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bufuman posted:

I'm considering doing this year's run on my iPhone 6+. Can I take screenshots with that device, or do I need an iPad or something?

should be able to take screenshots by holding the home button and hitting your power button.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Asiina posted:

FF8 was a very silly game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

W.T. Fits posted:

Maybe we should relabel the Megathread "every FF is the silliest FF". I'd almost say "except 13", but then I remember that time that Sazh gets punked by a Gigantuar, complete with tuba noises and cartoon sound effects.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

Maybe we should relabel the Megathread "every FF is the silliest FF". I'd almost say "except 13", but then I remember that time that Sazh gets punked by a Gigantuar, complete with tuba noises and cartoon sound effects.

Sazh and Frocobo more than fill any sort of silliness quota.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

W.T. Fits posted:

You mean the game where you can summon a demon train with a spooky scary face from the netherworld to wreck your enemies?

The game where right before your base gets attacked you can tell the kitchen staff to hide all the hotdogs in a secret bunker so the bad guys can't have any?

The game where your graduation gift is a lantern with the devil trapped inside it?

Huh. I guess it is a bit silly.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
Well, I've pre-registered and went with #BERSERKERRISK even though this is my first time out in the Fiesta and I've only beaten the game before with copious grinding.

Also, due to circumstances that even I'm not sure about, my only way of playing the game is in French, a language that I have a rather shaky grasp of. Should be fun all around!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This year I promise I will actually do it. I always seem to get fired or start a new job or take on extra work in the summer but now I have a two hour commute and I'm going to kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

KataraniSword posted:

That's a one-off, optional sidequest fight with no real buildup and the rest of the party barely even acknowledges the thing's existance.

The only real time there's any sort of (intentional) hilarity is whenever the chocobo chick enters the picture.

• Locked thread