Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Friend: But I GOTTA BUY AMURIKAN the money stays here, REAGANOMICS< THE ECONOMY!!11

I have a shitload of fun with people like that by pointing out that toyotas and subarus are made in Indiana, VWs are made in tennessee and the Hyundai my mother drives rolled off the line in Montgomery, Alabama.

EDIT: Pic for the pic gods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How the gently caress... did it... I mean...
Well just look at that.

Was that like burned or something.. was it a stanced car with a kid playing race car everyday for hours steering it? it didnt wear that way.

Nvm looks like something went through it sideways and it took a chunk of tire when it left the tire?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

We have no idea. :gonk:

Took that picture a week ago, IIRC the car was just a minivan with a really bad alignment. No ricing or "stance" poo poo involved.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
That's a 90-0 flat spot if I ever saw one.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

tater_salad posted:

How the gently caress... did it... I mean...
Well just look at that.

Was that like burned or something.. was it a stanced car with a kid playing race car everyday for hours steering it? it didnt wear that way.

Nvm looks like something went through it sideways and it took a chunk of tire when it left the tire?

Looks like somebody hit a curb or pothole which not only knocked the alignment out, but broke one or more of the steel belts in the tread, causing it to bulge out. Driving on it long enough will cause it to wear through and eventually rupture, like so:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ahh I always wondwred what would happen wien someone drove on a tire with herpes.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

MRC48B posted:

I have a shitload of fun with people like that by pointing out

Everything by Nissan aside from the GT-R and maybe the Juke comes from Tennessee iirc.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Splizwarf posted:

Everything by Nissan aside from the GT-R and maybe the Juke comes from Tennessee iirc.

The 370z and Cube are made in Japan, the Murano is made in Mississipi and the cheap stuff like Versa are made in Mexico.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IPCRESS posted:

Er, UZZ32 is the exact opposite of a lesser Soarer. That being said, I would like to know why they opted for a hydraulic cooling fan on their top-of-the-line model - since they didn't use vacuum power locks or windows I have to assume they had access to electrical motors.

Toyota even used the hydraulic cooling fans on the Camry at one point. I want to say the 2nd or 3rd generation?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

some texas redneck posted:

Toyota even used the hydraulic cooling fans on the Camry at one point. I want to say the 2nd or 3rd generation?

Had a 2nd gen, they were electric.

Looking up old 2nd gens, I must say that when done just so, they kinda look like an E30

I wish mine looked cool like that, maybe not so 'stanced', but nice and clean like that one, and without the black trashcan bumpers they all had.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

some texas redneck posted:

I specifically remember it being a Lexus it was on, possibly a GS or LS. I believe you, but to my Knowlege I've only ever seen electric fan Camrys

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
LS400 has a viscous fan, LS430 and GS's had electric. I think there may have been a few years of LS400 with a separate hydro fan though?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The 3vz and the first few years of the 1mz used the hydraulic fan in the 3rd gen camry/es300.

I think it was a great system at the time because it allowed very fine speed control which made it nice and quiet.

Ive never seen one fail either. Even if any of the temp sensors failed its default was full blast.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

After many years of being confined in the basement of this engine the rod decided to man up and move out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

After many years of being confined in the basement of this engine the rod decided to man up and move out.

After 10,000 RPM I'm free!

Free to conquer hood!

(thud)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Seat Safety Switch posted:

After 10,000 RPM I'm free!

Free to conquer hood!

(thud)

Gold post

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
These cooling issues are making me feel a lot better about my cracked heater core nipple (I think/hope that's all it is).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
4A-GE headgasket job. Maybe I'm just new to this but I thought it was pretty gnarly.

Beach Bum posted:

Of course, when you use a zipgun bad things happen occasionally. It just wouldn't be fun without a broken bolt...

Really lovely picture of the place where all the coolant pissed out the back of the head.

Beach Bum posted:

Cylinders be like :gonk: :raise: :) :)

Cylinder 3: slightly blown, but I don't think we were actually losing compression yet.

Cylinder 4: Definitely venting to cooling system, and you can see where the coolant passage on the back of the head blew out as well.

Obligatory headgasket shot

Now to take a look at the bores. Since I was working backwards, 4-3-2-1, that's how I'm posting them.

As you can see, 1 and 2 look pretty good, but 3 and 4 have some corrosion from coolant leaking into the cylinders. I'll probably have to get rings and a hone. Ah, well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

While walking the other day I got the pleasure of watching/hearing/smelling the final moments of an idiot destroying a Ford 6.2L V8.

It had a pretty loud ticking noise as he was driving which suddenly went to full blown skeleton dancing as he was slowing to stop and turn at a light. While waiting at the light smoke starts coming out of the exhaust, followed a few more seconds later by a MUCH louder skeleton noise and smoke coming out from under the engine. As he floors it to try and turn the truck sounds like it is running on two cylinders while leaving me standing a cloud that smelled of coolant, oil, uncombusted gasoline, and $$$$. He makes it just far enough to block the lane of a major road without a convenient place to push the truck to. I wish i had gotten video.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Speaking of lovely loving ford motors:

06 F250 5.4 with 114k miles on it.

The last one would also multi cyl missfire when you went WOT.

gently caress Ford.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The "Pending Faults" terminology is cracking me up. It is like Ford scheduled them in. "Oh time for the 102k O2 sensor failure!"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's just OBD2 standard stuff, pending faults are just poo poo the ECU is starting to suspect is hinky but hasn't got enough statistical evidence for yet. Per the standard, it's stuff that failed in the last driving cycle, but hasn't failed in enough driving cycles to be sure of a hard failure on.

e: SAE J1979 and J1979-DA are good reading material for this. Specifically, service $07 will read pending codes. J2012 may also be of use. Service $07 is covered by section 7.7.1 of SAE J1979, at least in my 2012 copy, I haven't downloaded the latest yet.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 15, 2015

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
some wiring rubbed through on the back of the block causing all sorts of electrical issues:

for access:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Slow is Fast posted:

gently caress Ford.

Looks like someone gets to replace an intake manifold.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

kastein posted:

That's just OBD2 standard stuff, pending faults are just poo poo the ECU is starting to suspect is hinky but hasn't got enough statistical evidence for yet. Per the standard, it's stuff that failed in the last driving cycle, but hasn't failed in enough driving cycles to be sure of a hard failure on.
So it's like the SMART error detection in hard drives, where it will flash "impending hard drive failure" in your face if it starts to get too many correctable read/write errors, but the sectors aren't completely unreadable yet.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

corn in the fridge posted:

some wiring rubbed through on the back of the block causing all sorts of electrical issues

I guess I can be the first to ask: What exactly is that? The pieces of body I can see don't really help me identify it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Computer viking posted:

I guess I can be the first to ask: What exactly is that? The pieces of body I can see don't really help me identify it.

That's a corvette. You can see the torque tube behind the engine going to the transaxle at the back.
e: from another angle

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 15, 2015

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

Computer viking posted:

Looks like an Aston Martin to me judging by the other Astons on the left and right sides of the photo.
Can't be a Corvette because it has coil springs front and rear

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

ChunksNensja posted:

Looks like an Aston Martin to me judging by the other Astons on the left and right sides of the photo.
Can't be a Corvette because it has coil springs front and rear

correct, it's an early db9 specifically

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
This is more horrible employee failures. All on the same truck too. 06 ram 2500

They said the brakes were making some noise.

They also said over the train tracks it felt loose.

And they had no reason for why this happened to the tail light.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Slow is Fast posted:

gently caress Ford.

System is both too lean AND too rich?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

AcidRonin posted:

System is both too lean AND too rich?
Different cylinder banks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

tater_salad posted:

Friend 3 years ago: What car should I buy.
Me: Toyota / Honda they are appliances and will last forever
Friend: But I GOTTA BUY AMURIKAN the money stays here, REAGANOMICS< THE ECONOMY!!11

* 3 years pass*

Friend: How much can I expect to pay for Bearings/Pads/ Rotors
me: Your Bearings are gone.. isn't that car 2-3 years old.
friend:yes

extra fun for him is it's a full hub/bearing assembly.. $100+/side

Told him to at least make sure to find a shop that shop won't double charge labor for brakes/hubs.

I have to replace my Ford Explorer wheel bearings every 6-10 months.
I'm on my 3rd set of rotors (due to a botched brake job by a local shop), and just installed my 5th set of bearings since I've owned it.

I do not understand why the gently caress they keep failing. I've tried SKF and Timken bearings, both with about the same result. Blued steel, powdered metal shavings, scoring of the races.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

corn in the fridge posted:

correct, it's an early db9 specifically

The Motorcraft text on the first pic is sort of telling as well.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm on my 3rd set of rotors (due to a botched brake job by a local shop), and just installed my 5th set of bearings since I've owned it.

I do not understand why the gently caress they keep failing. I've tried SKF and Timken bearings, both with about the same result. Blued steel, powdered metal shavings, scoring of the races.

What year Explorer?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You know that you shouldn't install bearings with a sawzall

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

What year Explorer?

I have an Explorer that had some suspension problems, so I would be inclined to believe that's due to some other suspension failure causing the bearings to wear prematurely; namely, the tie rods and the ball joints were bad, which wore out the front arm bushings. I replaced those and the shocks and I haven't had the problems I was having for the last 20K.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

BloodBag posted:

That's a corvette. You can see the torque tube behind the engine going to the transaxle at the back.

You know it's not a Corvette because hurrr leaf springs, etc. (too dirty to be a C7)

Edit: Beaten, that's what you get for not refreshing the thread.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey. Do you know what these are?

Do you want to see where they live?

DO YOU SEE?

DO YOU SEE?

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007