Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Aurain posted:

Revival of F is okay. If you're a Vegeta fan who read the Kanzenshuu summary and are looking forward to him showing his stuff and having a moment in the spotlight, I would suggest tempering your expectations.

It's very short and he basically beats Frieza in one hit, is about to finish him off and Frieza blows the world up, Whis resets it and Goku gets the killsteal in a 2 or 3 minute time-frame.

Hahaha balls. Why can't things be good, instead of bad. Why must garbage happen, instead of narrative closure decades in the making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Toriyama seemed to intentionally make Revival of F focus around characters who actually existed during the Freeza Saga

and also Jaco

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
yep all that talk about Vegeta getting a bigger role was all hype. His role in BoG was larger.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Webbeh posted:

We'll get the first preview of Dragon Ball Super this Sunday. Get pumped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIQyCJAFUeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtgqv1ET39k

Im glad sean schemmel doesnt listen to jp goku

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Im glad sean schemmel doesnt listen to jp goku

Yeah, modeling the voice on a 70-something year old woman would probably be a bad choice for the American audience.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
From interviews I know that Schemmel respects Nozawa very much (you can find videos of him with her and having a fanboy-gasm :3: ) but I saw an interview with him on YouTube where he discussed how at the start he was pressured to imitate Peter Kelamis and found that very limiting so he resolved to make the performance his own, and through that lens he's quite right to not take cues from the performances of others.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Schemmel's Goku is great. He plays it a bit less like :downs:y happy punchman and a bit more like straight up Superman, and I feel like Goku's character benefits from that. Though, to be fair, that's a function of the localization as much as Schemmel's dubbing.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Japanese Vegeta is still best, but Vegeta in Kai is awesome and such a step above even Buu Saga dub's voice. It's the same guy right? Did he just refine with practice?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

facebook jihad posted:

The Japanese Vegeta is still best, but Vegeta in Kai is awesome and such a step above even Buu Saga dub's voice. It's the same guy right? Did he just refine with practice?

Most of the Kai cast are returning VAs, and the Kai dub really shows how they've improved.

Also hah, Sean Schemmel likes the Super Cyan transformation. That's neat.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

facebook jihad posted:

Vegeta has been voiced by Chris Sabat since Funimation took over dubbing Dragonball back in the Freeza saga.

So, yes.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xibanya posted:

yep all that talk about Vegeta getting a bigger role was all hype. His role in BoG was larger.

That's not really true. Vegeta got more of a SINGULAR spotlight in BoG, but in this movie, he was basically in every scene Goku was in and played as a DIRECT equal for the first time ever (without any Majin powerups). Goku just has a longer fight with Freeza and doesn't die due to planet blowing up stuff.

The narrative closure is gotten as well. No, Freeza, Vegeta has surpassed joining your team now and can kick your rear end just as readily as the other Saiyans that aren't Gohan, sorry.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

sharktamer posted:

Keep on trying, maybe that will be funny one day.

It's funny now.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Darko posted:

That's not really true. Vegeta got more of a SINGULAR spotlight in BoG, but in this movie, he was basically in every scene Goku was in and played as a DIRECT equal for the first time ever (without any Majin powerups). Goku just has a longer fight with Freeza and doesn't die due to planet blowing up stuff.

The narrative closure is gotten as well. No, Freeza, Vegeta has surpassed joining your team now and can kick your rear end just as readily as the other Saiyans that aren't Gohan, sorry.

Unfortunately I can't agree.

I don't think anyone ever thought Vegeta had hanging plot threads related to Freeza. His being Goku's equal is good and all but that doesn't mean "a bigger role." Merely being present does not make one a large presence in the story. Vegeta doesn't actually do much compared with BoG. His literal actions involve bickering with Goku, sulking, fighting Freeza (briefly!) then sulking some more. The movie doesn't show us a new or interesting side of his character and it barely shows him actually fighting. His "I'm equal to kakarot" moment doesn't feel appreciably different from when he took over when Goku succumbed to his heart virus while fighting android 19, so even that isn't particularly special.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Namtab posted:

It's funny now.

It had its moment then.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

It's on Crunchyroll though, and they let you watch every episode older than a week for free.

I started watching Jojo today on Crunchyroll! The have a re-edited one-shot of the Phantom Blood arc up to watch for free, it bangs off the hook

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't understand the new DBM. So Kakarot's unseen advantage is becoming Oozaru?

Also I'm actually picking Kakarot in this fight. Buu's improvements haven't done jackshit yet, and Universe 18 has two people in the next round already.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

DBM:

I feel like Kakarot's about to pull some bullshit like go Super Saiyan while in Oozaru form

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

facebook jihad posted:

I don't understand the new DBM. So Kakarot's unseen advantage is becoming Oozaru?

Also I'm actually picking Kakarot in this fight. Buu's improvements haven't done jackshit yet, and Universe 18 has two people in the next round already.

Vegeta's got this poo poo dude.

I'm more surprised Babadi actually realized trying to gently caress with Vegito was a lovely idea. I'm always impressed how DBM seems to be a step ahead of the fans since they are huge fans themselves.

e: also Uub just beat Buu using Zen Buu's buffs so saying the improvements haven't done anything is bullshit.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

setafd posted:

DBM:

I feel like Kakarot's about to pull some bullshit like go Super Saiyan while in Oozaru form

I expect the same. Much as the comic tries to ignore GT as hard as it can, it wouldn't be the first time it takes something from it, so the Golden Great Ape wouldn't be that surprising. That said, I'll loving laugh if this somehow ends with Kakarot becoming the comic's first Super Saiyan 4.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So, watching Kai for the first time, as a means of rewatching the series at a third of the episode count. Aside of liking how comfortable the voice actors are with their roles, something I realise I love about the series is just how casually it can do things sometimes.

Like seriously, most other series would respond to 'one of the main characters has turned into a giant monkey' with some convoluted scheme that shows off the heroes' wits and skill in the face of a highly destructive force, or maybe play the emotional plea.

Piccolo says 'gently caress it' and just blows up the moon. On a whim.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

sharktamer posted:

It had its moment then.

I don't know about anyone else, but Hercule is actually legit no irony my favorite DBZ character and when he actually saves the world during the end of the Buu Saga that was the peak of the show for me.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
When his dog got shot I was legitimately bummed. When anyone else dies who cares, but that dog.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So I caught some random scenes on youtube and I didn't know Bulma got a new look for Resurrection F. She looks pretty cool.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

she looks cool, I just dunno if she looks like she's 50+ years old

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

setafd posted:

She's literally the richest person in the world, and possibly the most vain. I'm sure she's paying some serious money to keep her young forever, especially since she knows her husband will sure as hell keep young for a long while.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Out of all the characters, bulma lasts longest before dying

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In the DBZ epilogue she mentions that she's thinking about asking Shenlong to make her look young again.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

setafd posted:

Isn't that because she's not

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So I caught some random scenes on youtube and I didn't know Bulma got a new look for Resurrection F. She looks pretty cool.

I caught the finale on Youtube, subbed in English, though shot through shakycam. It really does come off as awkward and silly as it reads. Whis gives them a mulligan after they gently caress up. It does make me wonder if in a decade or two we'll get Dragonball Super: Immortal F, where Freeza comes back yet again, and this time he trains for 6 months and attains a plantinum/blue form, just as Goku and Vegeta are finding a way to go Super Saiyan Elder, which makes them emaciated looking while giving them green hair.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

In the DBZ epilogue she mentions that she's thinking about asking Shenlong to make her look young again.

Why do people call him Shenlong when you can clearly hear them call him Shenron in nearly everything.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

tsob posted:

I caught the finale on Youtube, subbed in English, though shot through shakycam. It really does come off as awkward and silly as it reads. Whis gives them a mulligan after they gently caress up. It does make me wonder if in a decade or two we'll get Dragonball Super: Immortal F, where Freeza comes back yet again, and this time he trains for 6 months and attains a plantinum/blue form, just as Goku and Vegeta are finding a way to go Super Saiyan Elder, which makes them emaciated looking while giving them green hair.

Only if this time Goku and Vegeta fail and adult Pan is the one who kills Frieza with the new green hair Super Saiyan form.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mabels big day posted:

Why do people call him Shenlong when you can clearly hear them call him Shenron in nearly everything.

Japanese l/r switch combined with "long" being Chinese for dragon.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rirse posted:

Only if this time Goku and Vegeta fail and adult Pan is the one who kills Frieza with the new green hair Super Saiyan form.

Nah, this time Freeza learns his lesson and makes a wish for immortality before he goes off to train, so they can't kill him again - instead he just gets locked up by some of the Kais or Whis or whatever, breaking out every arc or two to be beaten by increasingly lame characters. First Goku, then Vegeta, then Gohan, then Krillen, then Chaotzu, then Bulma, then Satan and finally Yamcha. At this low point Freeza will have a revelation and finally become one of the good guys, with him and Yamcha forming a low power losers club that gets their own occasional filler episode, forming a rock band, going to bars to pick up women together and generally be the goofy comedy characters. It ends with Freeza revealing she's in love with Yamcha and the two of them jetting off in her spaceship for adventures in love together.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

It ends with Freeza revealing she's in love with Yamcha and the two of them jetting off in her spaceship for adventures in love together.

:yikes:

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

tsob posted:

emaciated looking while giving them green hair.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm sorry you don't believe in the power of love. Freeza x Yamcha is my OTP :colbert:

You know, I'm tempted to get that as a new avatar. No idea what text I could put with it though. Something regarding Super Cyan seems appropriate, perhaps about it being a level beyond Super Cyan. Needs to have the beard and tache going super cyan too though.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 13, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

facebook jihad posted:

I'm sure this makes me some kind of heathen but I still love Brian Drummond for Vegeta up through the Frieza saga. ("YOU WON'T ESCAPE... MY WRATH!!!") He just plays him so loving over-the-top evil. But then that doesn't work as well when he calms down and becomes a house Saiyan. So, somehow, the Ocean to Funimation voice change seemed like it totally made sense for him to me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

XboxPants posted:

I'm sure this makes me some kind of heathen but I still love Brian Drummond for Vegeta up through the Frieza saga. ("YOU WON'T ESCAPE... MY WRATH!!!") He just plays him so loving over-the-top evil. But then that doesn't work as well when he calms down and becomes a house Saiyan. So, somehow, the Ocean to Funimation voice change seemed like it totally made sense for him to me.

You know, I've thought the exact same thing before. Drummond probably wouldn't have sold the antihero as well as Sabat did, but he was great at being straight up evil. Would have liked to hear him free from the shackles of HFIL and The Next Dimension.

Federal Preserves
Jun 30, 2011

Or is it right?

tsob posted:

You know, I'm tempted to get that as a new avatar. No idea what text I could put with it though. Something regarding Super Cyan seems appropriate, perhaps about it being a level beyond Super Cyan. Needs to have the beard and tache going super cyan too though.

He is the Turtquoise Hermit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Drummond's voice fit Vegeta when he was slimmer. Once he bulks up, it's Sabat time.

• Locked thread