Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Varg posted:

I drafted and held onto Jeremy Hill all last year apart from 1 week when I dropped him out of frustration and then picked him back up the next week before he became super useful

basically if you're going to hold onto a player, make sure it's an RB that has a shot

In my dynasty league I drafted Giovani, then made sure to trade a couple dudes to get Hill before the season started. Guy I traded with got 2 players who scored a combined 5 fantasy points all season, I got J. Hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Keenan Allen at least had a huge year the year before last, so his regression was a little harder to see coming. Cordarelle Patterson was way over - hyped and over drafted even though he had little track record of success, and it destroyed people (me) who thought he could be a weekly WR2.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
keenan allen has a special place in my heart because i was able to use him to trade for aj green :getin:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

VDay posted:

Figuring out who you should drop early and who to hold on to all season is one of the more important and underrated fantasy skills imo. Way too many people get attached to their drafted players and have them sit on the bench for 9 weeks not doing anything before finally dropping them for a second defense or bye-week kicker. It can definitely bite you in the rear end sometimes, but I've found that being super aggressive with drops/waiver pickups pays off like 80% of the time, and I end up getting a league-winning player from the waiver wire almost every year that I win.

Trading those players to someone willing to buy "low" is my favorite part of the fantasy season

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

LmaoTheKid posted:

Too much churnin means you need some learnin ;)

Sometimes when your matchups don't got right and the other teams are doing the burning, you get the yearning for churning :)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I traded Toby Gerhart for a 4th round pick minutes after the draft last year :smug:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

RCarr posted:

I traded Toby Gerhart for a 4th round pick minutes after the draft last year :smug:

Unloaded Zac Stacey for Alshon Jeffery after Week 2. :hfive:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Spoeank posted:

Like half of y'all lit a roster spot on fire for 2014 Josh Gordon :lol:

That's an all-time fantasy football waste of a roster spot
In one of my 12 man leagues, someone picked him up like week 4 and swore that if he could JUST make the playoffs, Gordon would carry him to the championship. It was especially cruel because Gordon had 120 yards that first game back (week 12) and he got SUPER pumped. Needless to say, his 1 point in week 14 did not carry my friend to victory.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Trading those players to someone willing to buy "low" is my favorite part of the fantasy season
Got DT week 4 for a steal :D

Sataere posted:

I think the way to really test this out would be to use last years projections against that draft-based simulator, and then measure the results that actually occurred.
AP probably fucks all this up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My best trades last year:

quote:

Thu, Oct 9
SWFS traded Cordarrelle Patterson, Min WR to AFP
AFP traded Jeremy Hill, Cin RB to SWFS

quote:

Wed, Oct 15
SWFS added Odell Beckham Jr., NYG WR from Waivers to Bench

followed by my worst trade last year:

quote:

Wed, Oct 22
SWFS dropped Jeremy Hill, Cin RB to Waivers
SWFS added Boobie Dixon, Buf RB from Waivers to Bench

:negative:

...but I won my league anyway! :woop:

Enforka
Dec 24, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Like half of y'all lit a roster spot on fire for 2014 Josh Gordon :lol:

That's an all-time fantasy football waste of a roster spot
I dropped Mike Evans instead of Gordon the week before Evans caught on fire. :doh:

Enforka
Dec 24, 2004
Also, hopefully I'm not too late for stat chat, but I'd love to see the zero-RB draft strategy analysis done using real scoring data from years past, rather than projected points data from this year.

One of the arguments for using zero RB is that WRs are less likely to bust relative to their ADP. Using projected points to determine the success of the strategy doesn't really account for the bust factor. After all, if the RBs were projected to bust, they wouldn't be drafted so high in the first place.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Enforka posted:

Also, hopefully I'm not too late for stat chat, but I'd love to see the zero-RB draft strategy analysis done using real scoring data from years past, rather than projected points data from this year.

One of the arguments for using zero RB is that WRs are less likely to bust relative to their ADP. Using projected points to determine the success of the strategy doesn't really account for the bust factor. After all, if the RBs were projected to bust, they wouldn't be drafted so high in the first place.

Zero RB strat last year was not viable. I did a bunch of mocks going for a Graham/Gronk or a DT/Peyton strat and kept getting Toby Gerhart and Bishop Sankey as RB1/2 and I wasn't comfortable with that

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zero RB strat last year was not viable. I did a bunch of mocks going for a Graham/Gronk or a DT/Peyton strat and kept getting Toby Gerhart and Bishop Sankey as RB1/2 and I wasn't comfortable with that

I actually drafted Graham and Gronk and ended up with Gerhart and Sankey as my RB1/2. Had I kept Bradshaw I would've ended up in the playoffs.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I did the zero hb strat last year and only didn't win the league because graham decided to put up a goose egg in the playoffs. My hbs were Ingram and Fjax

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Where were Gio Bernard and Knowshon Moreno going last year? If you drafted kne of them and handcuffed them late with Hill and Miller, it wouldn't have been a disaster.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
Gio was a second rounder.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

I'm not sure I agree, but I think the idea that WR is a safer position because of injuries did not really hold up. A lot of the top 15 projected WR's pretty much hit their numbers, but some of the big ones that did not (AJ Green, Brandon Marshall, Victor Cruz) were because of injuries. There were a few that just did not put up the numbers (Keenan Allen, Andrew Johnson, VJax) and a solid amount that were right on target.

I think RB's were a little more volatile, but not as much as the zero RB strategy would have you believe. I look at the top 8 projected RBs and if we remove AP because of his suspension, the only one who really was a bust was Montee Ball. It gets worse as you go further down in to the 15 and reach the Zac Stacy's and Ryan Mathews, but going RB with your first pick was no worse than going WR last year.

My take away from all of this is that I'm going to go with what the draft gives me. Not all of my leagues are full of stat nerds who follow fantasy football closely, and I'm not going to stick with a zero RB strat if Lacy falls to me at the 1.12 or something.

cheese fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 13, 2015

Enforka
Dec 24, 2004

cheese posted:

A lot of the top 15 projected WR's pretty much hit their numbers, but some of the big ones that did not (AJ Green, Brandon Marshall, Victor Cruz) were because of injuries. There were a few that just did not put up the numbers (Keenan Allen, Andrew Johnson, VJax) and a solid amount that were right on target. [....] I look at the top 8 projected RBs and if we remove AP because of his suspension, the only one who really was a bust was Montee Ball. It gets worse as you go further down in to the 15 and reach the Zac Stacy's and Ryan Mathews, but going RB with your first pick was no worse than going WR last year.
Yeah, in retrospect it was a terrible year for zero RB. Also, the rookie WR class was historically good, so there was plenty of WR talent later on in the draft if you went with an early RB. This year might be better for zero RB, with the rookie RB class projected to be elite and there being an question mark around a lot of the RBs at the top. Still, all things considered, I'm not convinced zero RB is really any less likely to succeed than drafting BPA.

However, I did think of another interesting tweak to the simulation I'd be interested in seeing: What if, the 0RB guy values his 3rd and 4th RBs more than he does his 3rd and 4th WR? The idea being that he loads up on RBs in the mid-rounds, hoping to hit a lotto ticket as RBs get injured or wash out. Maybe that would improve the results of the strategy?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Enforka posted:

However, I did think of another interesting tweak to the simulation I'd be interested in seeing: What if, the 0RB guy values his 3rd and 4th RBs more than he does his 3rd and 4th WR? The idea being that he loads up on RBs in the mid-rounds, hoping to hit a lotto ticket as RBs get injured or wash out. Maybe that would improve the results of the strategy?

That's basically 0RB in a nutshell. The whole point behind the strategy is to capitalize on the light level of turnover in the RB position. If you're drafting high upside WR sleepers after you already have Demaryius Thomas and Calvin Johnson then your strategy is not very optimal IMO.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Zero rb strat was totally viable. There were plenty of serviceable running backs that could be had for a very low cost. Off the top of my head: Hill, Crowell, CJ Anderson, Forsett, Asiata, and Tre Mason could all be had for late round picks and were startable players throughout the year. If you kept up with injuries and the waiver wire there were also backs that you play for a few weeks like Bobby Rainey, Alfed Blue, and Lorenzo Taliaferro.

Drafting 'zero rb' or any other strategy doesn't mean your team will be good if you draft bad......which last year if your rb1/2 are Gerhart and Sankey then you done hosed up.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's basically 0RB in a nutshell. The whole point behind the strategy is to capitalize on the light level of turnover in the RB position. If you're drafting high upside WR sleepers after you already have Demaryius Thomas and Calvin Johnson then your strategy is not very optimal IMO.

I disagree with the last part. Taking a few high upside flyers after grabbing studs at that position is a fine move. The point of the draft is to maximize the value of your team, not to have the best week to week lineup. If you already have studs at wr but you feel like the best pick at your slot is a high upside wr....take them. If you hit you will be very rich at a position and you will have valuable assets to make a trade if you are weak elsewhere.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Pretty sure no one drafted Forsette. Maybe Anderson.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Enforka posted:

Sure thing.

A quick note before I do this: the way I'm calculating performance of these simulated "historical" drafts using last year's actual data is NOT the same as a real player would get during the season. Essentially what I'm doing is finding out "at the end of the season, which drafted players would give the most points if started every single week". It does NOT factor in stuff like breakout weeks or returns from injury or waiver wire or unexpected blowup games (e.g. Foles). This simplification makes it much easier to code, but it's important to note that we aren't finding the relative utility of drafts for real fantasy teams, we're finding the value of the "best season-long starters drafted".

As a reminder of where we were valuing people last year, I ran a quick simulation to find what the draftboard would look like last year if every drafter went exactly by 2014 fantasypros consensus rank (adjusting for need):

(note: Python starts counting from "0" instead of "1", so the row marked "0" is the first round of the draft. The order starts at the top-left, then snakes down the board)

And another simulation to find what the draftboard would look like last year if every drafter went exactly by 2014 ADP (adjusting for need), using the average of fantasyfootballcalculator adp and fantasypros adp:

Then, I allowed for "noisy drafting" so that there wouldn't be a single solution to the draft. This allowed me to calculate the "performance" of each drafter using actual points as described above. I started setting everybody to the the "draft by expert consensus rank and adjust for need" strategy I described earlier (250 sims):

code:
1      1236.9
2     1231.0
3     1219.9
4     1207.5
5     1230.6
6     1215.6
7     1224.5
8     1232.1
9      1292.0
10    1337.4
As you might expect, standard deviation was really high:

code:
1     101.8
2     112.5
3     128.5
4     129.2
5     122.8
6     132.5
7     131.6
8     127.6
9     118.0
10    125.1
You could have had the best draft (as defined by our metric here - see above) from any position, essentially. But the 1/2 turn seemed particularly good last year for some reason.

Then, I tried out a zero-rb approach from every other spot (to cut computation time in half - these sims are pretty demanding). Here's the difference between a consensus rank strategy and a zero-rb strategy after 250 sims from each zero-rb position:

code:
2    -18.6
4      9.8
6    -11.7
8     -3.8
10   -98.9
Considering the levels of variability we're talking about, forcing a zero-rb approach last year pretty much didn't make a statistically significant difference from any spot, except for the 1/2 turn, where it dropped your season-long points by about 8 points per week (over a 12 week season).

Qualitatively poking around some of the baseline drafts, it seems like drafter 10 could get either Murray or Lynch a lot at the 1/2 turn, like in this example:

code:
'DeMarco Murray',
 'Demaryius Thomas',
 'Randall Cobb',
 'Toby Gerhart',
 'Ben Tate',
 'Torrey Smith',
 'Nick Foles',
 'Jeremy Maclin',
 'Greg Olsen',
 'Jeremy Hill',
 'Zach Ertz',
 'Sammy Watkins',
 'Ryan Tannehill',
 'LeGarrette Blount'
In a zero-rb strategy, they would have to forgo Lynch and Murray, and the drafts tended to look something like this:

code:
'Julio Jones',
 'Dez Bryant',
 'Toby Gerhart',
 'Drew Brees',
 'Chris Johnson',
 'Torrey Smith',
 'Maurice Jones-Drew',
 'Jeremy Maclin',
 'Knowshon Moreno',
 'Dennis Pitta',
 'Riley Cooper',
 'DeAngelo Williams',
 'Ryan Tannehill',
 'Ahmad Bradshaw'
or this:

code:
'Dez Bryant',
 'A.J. Green',
 'Toby Gerhart',
 'Rob Gronkowski',
 'Andrew Luck',
 'Shane Vereen',
 'Kendall Wright',
 'Trent Richardson',
 'Cam Newton',
 'Brandin Cooks',
 'Carlos Hyde',
 'DeAndre Hopkins',
 'Jordan Matthews',
 'Ahmad Bradshaw'
Seems like in the specific set of circumstances we've outlined, a zero-rb strategy never really improved your changes, and had the potential to make you miss out on the fantasy superstar last year.

Simming what would happen if everybody went by ADP now to see if that changes anything...

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 13, 2015

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Enforka posted:

This is a really great idea. Mind giving me some values to use? Here are the defaults again:

code:
QBval = [0.95, 0.6, 0.01, 0]
RBval = [1, 1, 0.93, 0.85, 0.70, 0.65, 0.2, 0.1, 0.01]
WRval = [1, 1, 0.9, 0.85, 0.68, 0.60, 0.2, 0.1, 0.01]
TEval = [0.96, 0.58, 0.01, 0]
edit: something I'm planning on eventually adding as well are adjusted strategies where the player values high-variance players after their starters are drafted for that position. 0rb might be more effective if they take not just 2-3 extra late-round rbs, but 2-3 extra extremely risky high-upside rbs.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 13, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Papes posted:

I disagree with the last part. Taking a few high upside flyers after grabbing studs at that position is a fine move. The point of the draft is to maximize the value of your team, not to have the best week to week lineup. If you already have studs at wr but you feel like the best pick at your slot is a high upside wr....take them. If you hit you will be very rich at a position and you will have valuable assets to make a trade if you are weak elsewhere.

I get your point, but I also feel like drafting to trade never works out. I would much rather focus on bolstering up my weak spots than taking a flyer. In the end I'd rather have a flyer RB than a flyer WR if my need is RB.

That's not to say you don't draft on value. Personally I ignore most strategies and just go PBA based on where I draft.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Update: if everybody else in a 10-team standard league was drafting in accordance with the the typical ADP last year, a 0rb strategy sucked from every position (250 sims each):

code:
2    -17.4
4    -22.4
6    -37.1
8    -60.0
10   -41.5
Sample team for a 0rb drafter at the 8 spot:

code:
'Dez Bryant',
 'Aaron Rodgers',
 'Zac Stacy',
 'Rob Gronkowski',
 'C.J. Spiller',
 'Emmanuel Sanders',
 'Julian Edelman',
 'Mike Wallace',
 'Lamar Miller',
 'Robert Griffin III',
 'DeAngelo Williams',
 'Justin Hunter',
 'Ahmad Bradshaw',
 'Heath Miller'
This was the baseline for noisy ADP drafters over 250 sims last year:

code:
1     1254.8
2     1249.3
3     1246.2
4     1237.3
5     1235.2
6     1224.8
7     1224.5
8       1254.2
9     1272.7
10    1266.7
But maybe the improvements y'all recommended to the 0rb strategy might change this?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Basically auction is where its at

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

This is the word I use when one fantasy team steamrolls another "luckily i play against andrew's team during tampa's bye week so there's a chance I won't get simmed"

Enforka
Dec 24, 2004
I did a little research to answer Forever_Peace, and I came away feeling that I misunderstood Zero RB. I always thought Zero RB meant you draft other positions of need in maybe the first 2-3 rounds and stockpile RBs after that, but now I'm convinced the strategy is intended to be more radical and WR oriented than I thought. Shawn Siegele was the guy who coined the phrase "zero RB" and in this column on zero RB he says the following:

Shawn Siegele posted:

Depending on how a draft is progressing, I will draft either one high upside running back in Round 4 or 5, or I will draft none at all. My preferred lineup after five rounds is to own one tight end (Graham/Gronk) and four wide receivers. I then focus on selecting potential breakout players, the receiving back in timeshares, and backups in good offenses.
"Ideally" you would have 4 WRs and maybe one other position player before you even got a single RB. In one example mentioned in the link above, Siegele drafted 6 WRs in the first 8 rounds, and only one RB. That's quite a bit of stockpiling WR talent.

So here's what I would propose as values for a 0RB draft simulation:
code:
Regular Drafters
QBval = [0.95, 0.6, 0.01, 0] 
RBval = [1, 1, 0.93, 0.85, 0.70, 0.65, 0.2, 0.1, 0.01] 
WRval = [1, 1, 0.9, 0.85, 0.68, 0.60, 0.2, 0.1, 0.01] 
TEval = [0.96, 0.58, 0.01, 0] 

Zero RB
QBval = [0.92, 0.6, 0.01, 0] 
RBval = [0.87, 0.8, 0.65, 0.4, 0.2, 0.01] 
WRval = [1, 1, 1, 0.9, 0.6, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1, 0.01] 
TEval = [0.93, 0.58, 0.01, 0] 
What I was trying to do is act as though the flex was a third WR slot, as this strategy seems to mandate. To encourage late RB picks, the RB1 is valued around where other teams value their RB3 and RB4. The RB slot also drops off slower than other slots, so you should get a number of RBs near the end of the draft. In theory, I hope this means a lot of WRs and a late run on high upside RBs.

It's hard to say if these values are any good without doing a simulation and looking over the roster to sanity check it though. In adjusting the RB/WR values so dramatically, I may have thrown off the QB/TE values. A ton of Siegele's sample rosters are available here from the 2013 season, and they might make for a good point of comparison.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

A lot of what he is saying seems to be PPR oriented. He even says in one of his responses to the comments "I mean ya I would get an RB1 earlier if I was in standard" or something. It does sort of sound like he counts on being able to snag mid-late round RB's that blow up, like J. Hill and Crowell did last year. Either way, its hard to say that zero RB looked really good last year. God help you if you went Megatron-AJ Green-Keenan Allen-Crabtree with your first four picks or something. Even if you HAD managed to grab the right mid-late pick RBs like Hill and Crowell, you probably started 2-6 and were out of the playoffs by week 9. I look at the RB stats from last year and I don't see how you can expect to have grabbed the few late round RB's who put up big points to complement a season in which top 25 WR's seemed just as likely to underperform or be injured as top 25 RB's.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

cheese posted:

A lot of what he is saying seems to be PPR oriented. He even says in one of his responses to the comments "I mean ya I would get an RB1 earlier if I was in standard" or something. It does sort of sound like he counts on being able to snag mid-late round RB's that blow up, like J. Hill and Crowell did last year. Either way, its hard to say that zero RB looked really good last year. God help you if you went Megatron-AJ Green-Keenan Allen-Crabtree with your first four picks or something. Even if you HAD managed to grab the right mid-late pick RBs like Hill and Crowell, you probably started 2-6 and were out of the playoffs by week 9. I look at the RB stats from last year and I don't see how you can expect to have grabbed the few late round RB's who put up big points to complement a season in which top 25 WR's seemed just as likely to underperform or be injured as top 25 RB's.

Am I missing something here because I had Crowell last year and was frustrated as all hell with the timeshare he was in with Tate and West. Sure he had a couple solid games but there was 0 consistency.

It is true that the line kind of fell apart once their center went down so maybe he is a high upside pick this year?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
RIP Zach Studfeld, the destitute man's pre-season Kyle Rudolph

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The Browns backfield was and will be nothing more than a daily tournament play this year. Don't draft those guys at all... Crowell was barely startable as an RB4 last year.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Gyshall posted:

The Browns backfield was and will be nothing more than a daily tournament play this year. Don't draft those guys at all... Crowell was barely startable as an RB4 last year.
It feels like there are even more backfields than usual that a total mess. The Browns arn't the only team who have a backfield that is entirely made up of late round fliers at best. Even some of the ones that seem like they have a decent starter like Dallas are just crazy risky.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Footballguys posted:

CLE - RB Duke Johnson seen as three-down player

Source: ESPN - Adam Schefter

Cleveland Browns RB Duke Johnson is viewed as a three-down running back by the Browns' coaching staff as he continues to draw rave reviews.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Johnson can be used effectively as a receiver out of the backfield, but we think he could wear down if used frequently in a full-time role. He's certainly a three-down player, but Johnson is best used in a RBBC. Johnson will split time with Isaiah Crowell this season.

yeah don't draft a Brown

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There are Browns I'd consider drafting in IDP

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

cheese posted:

It feels like there are even more backfields than usual that a total mess. The Browns arn't the only team who have a backfield that is entirely made up of late round fliers at best. Even some of the ones that seem like they have a decent starter like Dallas are just crazy risky.

Who is this decent starter in Dallas you speak of

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I'm doing an NFL.com league for the first time and I've never seen such dog poo poo rankings :stare:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Varg posted:

don't draft a Brown

Did you lot burn all your irrational excitement on Charlie Fake I mean Charlie Sims?? His name is Duke Johnson you guys. Duke. Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The Only Brown You Should Draft Is Josh Gordon

• Locked thread