Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Look at that hip, modern chat that's sure to make all the kids say "woot!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I too leap into stream chats and say things like "woot" and "swag" because they are gamer things that gamers like me say

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

sout posted:

Shamus Young, whose name has been thrown around a lot recently because he did some good pieces on Fallout 3's dumb story, has his thing Spoiler Warning (which I think I might actually have heard from in this thread, sorry!) and his group is fairly critical of games while seeming to have fun with them at the same time. For the most part, at least.
I sort of wish they had better audio though.

Is he the one that flipped the gently caress out over something in a game about fighting giant mutated crabs being too silly and it's somehow treated as a triumph of criticism by his fans? Because that doesn't sound fun to me.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I hate you slowbeef

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

One time a long time ago I noticed that almost everybody opens their video with "Hey guys!" or "What's up guys!" or "What's up Youtube" and I am just loving livid that I cannot stop being annoyed by it. Like, it's seriously one of the most annoying things about these people.

This guy has my favorite way to open a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXov2qyZ-nc

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keeshhound posted:

I think that was Bob Chipman (guy who did movie reviews for a while,) who asserted that NASA was a better use of money than programs aimed at feeding the needy and the like, because it represented some kind of "grand optimism." As if we should be proud of the fact that we were more concerned with winning a dick waving competition with the Soviet Union than making sure people didn't starve or freeze to death in the streets. :jerkbag:

Don't get me wrong, I think NASA and the sciences and all the government programs funding them are great, but he explicitly pushed back against the idea that maybe we should put a higher priority on social welfare because he saw it as less important than shooting things into space.

Moviebob is pretty stupid.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Didn't Moviebob also say in his book that seeing Super Mario Bros. 3 in The Wizard was a more memorable moment than 9/11?

E: Oh, upon reading the excerpt again, he says it was as memorable. Still, what the hell.

arcsig fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 12, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't he try to make a game, that just got delayed/failed horrible in production and he blamed SA for it?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

arcsig posted:

Didn't Moviebob also say in his book that seeing Super Mario Bros. 3 in The Wizard was a more memorable moment than 9/11?

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
hey lamulanites!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I was about to post that "Hey there everyone, this is raocow playing X" hasn't gotten old in, waaay too long now but welp

In serious post, "Welcome back to LP-X" seems to work well enough, i think Accounting Nightmare uses that for her Devil May Cry LPs and it puts emphasis on the game instead of the LPer (an SA pet peeve, as it seems), though i think she does introduce herself after that.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I just say "Hello, everyone". It's short, gender neutral and a way to open a video. I'm sure if the viewer can stand me and my co-commentator waffling on about all kinds of random crap, they're fine with my one second opening.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
For the most part I just start off with "Welcome back", although I still haven't found the 'right way' of introducing the first episode in an LP. For Metal Gear I've been starting episodes off by calling someone on codec and letting their conversation open the episode. My favourite was when I called Mei Ling, planning to keep refusing to save until she gets mad, but she immediately unleashes a tirade about how engineers are ruining the world including herself, and how there shouldn't be engineers anymore or something insane like that :psyduck:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

imo the only way to do it is a cold open, start the video already halfway through a sentence and don't provide a starting point for commentary at all, just launch straight in there, just go hog wild straight away from 0:00

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Stux posted:

imo the only way to do it is a cold open, start the video already halfway through a sentence and don't provide a starting point for commentary at all, just launch straight in there, just go hog wild straight away from 0:00
"...with four koalas and a tin of grease paint."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWtPEXfQki0

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Stux posted:

Isn't that pretty much how Chip and Iro icus do it? Not launching straight into talking but giving the game a moment to establish itself and then just talking about whatever's happening.

Gihyou
Feb 19, 2011

Oh God no the ball is gone.
There's a new interview/article about Felix Kjellberg/Pewdiepie, from ESPN of all places. Their recent magazine issue was about eSports and they decided to have Wayne Drehs, who has previously written pieces on Michael Phelps, Landon Donovan and Pele, write about Let's Play and Pewdiepie.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/13013936/pewdiepie-how-became-king-youtube

There's a small shoutout to SA as the place where "it is widely agreed the first iteration of Let's Play was conceived" (sadly Slowbeef is not mentioned, I'm sure he is crushed), but in this article, Drehs manages to compare Pewdiepie to LeBron James, has someone else compare him to the movie "Titanic", and tells Pewdiepie he was 'moved' by one of his videos, which even Felix seems to think is nuts.

ESPN has aired a few League of Legends/DOTA2 tournaments, so they are slowly dipping their toe into the whole watch people play video games thing. They had to replace the poker stuff no one watches anymore somehow.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ESPN had a pro-gaming tournament a few years ago.

It was pretty terribly produced.

Edit - I was thinking Championship Gaming Sereis which wasn't on ESPN but ESPN has done Madden NFL tournaments as a competition in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championship_Gaming_Series

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Was it ESPN where they had some announcer just playing footage from some moba and commentating about how he'd rather kill himself than commentate over footage of a video game? It made him sound like an ultra salty old man scared by flashing lights.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SirSamVimes posted:

While I don't generally like Game Grumps, this is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRtLDQVHIEc

One of them who actually plays WoW attempts to drag the rest of them through the leveling content of the newest expansion and it is one of the greatest trainwrecks I have ever seen.

Edit: Dunno if it still counts as a LP, because they do this weird reality TV show style thing where it bounces between the game screen and filming them actually playing, but still hilarious.

Watched 10 minutes of this and the only funny thing so far has been Danny drawing a dick on the whiteboard.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The way it's filmed like a TV show kinda messes with it a bit, I think. Imo it would've been just as funny without the TV show-style editing and cuts.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Danaru posted:

Was it ESPN where they had some announcer just playing footage from some moba and commentating about how he'd rather kill himself than commentate over footage of a video game? It made him sound like an ultra salty old man scared by flashing lights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzL21gHwt1I

It's incredible.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

CJacobs posted:

The way it's filmed like a TV show kinda messes with it a bit, I think. Imo it would've been just as funny without the TV show-style editing and cuts.

Also because the only guy who looks halfway presentable and not gross is Ross.

EDIT: The whole forced OH MY GOSH MY WACKY FRIENDS DON'T PLAY THIS RIGHT THIS IS SO EXASPERATING is really bad

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Calaveron posted:

Also because the only guy who looks halfway presentable and not gross is Ross.

EDIT: The whole forced OH MY GOSH MY WACKY FRIENDS DON'T PLAY THIS RIGHT THIS IS SO EXASPERATING is really bad

I haven't watched it since I don't like the premise, but apparently the last episode is the only good one because Ross leaves and tags in his wife, and his wife actually explains poo poo to the people who didn't play, meaning they can actually play the drat game.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I watched that video and it was funny how everything started click and the guy who showed them the game was like "yeah I didn't think that stuff was important"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Holy poo poo Ross/Game Grumps Inc. LLC easily spent over a thousand dollars in this gimmicky series.
Also Ross is wearing the same clothes in episodes 1 and 2, which makes him a grosser nerd than the other gross nerds

EDIT: Again, funniest thing in episode 2 is Danny drawing a dick on the white board.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And I thought Ross spending a hundred dollars on microtransaction currency for a kids MMO was crazy.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Danaru posted:

I haven't watched it since I don't like the premise, but apparently the last episode is the only good one because Ross leaves and tags in his wife, and his wife actually explains poo poo to the people who didn't play, meaning they can actually play the drat game.
That's episode 4, and yeah it's the best episode. It's half an hour of Holly showing off the fun parts of WoW, correcting all the bad habits they picked up from Ross teaching them wrong, and telling Ross off for not teaching them right.

If anyone cares, the 5th and last episode went up. They stopped bothering trying to get to level 100 and just goofed off with fans of the show. They ended up donating 5,700 to a cancer charity.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

I think it works with boardgames (eg. Tabletop) or other strategy games like Civilization etc. but for WoW it just seems really dumb.

Edit - Hahaha holy poo poo this ESPN guy is super salty about his precious TV network covering different stuff he doesn't like that rakes money. Anyone who is genuinely upset over this sort of stuff is just as sad as the people who get super into it.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 14, 2015

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
--Punished Barry - A FALLEN GAMER--

edit: Alternate joke: "Ross, turn off my WoW inhibitors!"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"Ross, I'm already a demon."

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
so I guess Chip predicted some things about E3 correctly

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I for one look forward to his LP of Star Fox Zero.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Klaus88 posted:

I can't find anything about that but I did find this extraordinarily whiny article about New Vegas.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/experienced-points/8241-Obsidian-Does-it-Again

He seems like one of those :qqsay: assholes that are a dime a dozen on the internet but again maybe I'm wrong here. :allears:

Interesting, they played through New Vegas and couldn't praise it enough.

Also TB didn't die of rear end cancer? What a tragedy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Unfunny Poster posted:

I for one look forward to his LP of Star Fox Zero.

He can't LP Nier 2, that's The Dark Id's turf.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

He can't LP Nier 2, that's The Dark Id's turf.

So long as he does GZ/TPP as soon as possible, I'll be happy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

muike posted:

I watched that video and it was funny how everything started click and the guy who showed them the game was like "yeah I didn't think that stuff was important"

The whole thing was a bad idea, but I can't really blame Ross for not wanting to explain poo poo to them. Trying to get them to focus on how to play a game is not a strong suit for the Game Grumps, and this was not a game they wanted to play to begin with, so Ross was like "gently caress it, I'll just drag them around and make them suffer for comedy!" But since they're all boosted to Level 90 and they didn't actually do anything, there wasn't a lot of suffering, just boredom.

Then Holly comes in and is like "Hey, there's a lot of loving around you can do in this game and dumb silly stuff that's really fun. Also here's how you actually handle playing the game if you care." and it made them interested. Also note none of that ended up having anything to do with the challenge Ross set forth. Again, the whole thing was a bad idea.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I have bad news guys.

Billymc has taken down some of his Tasty Tuesdays videos :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have bad news guys.

Billymc has taken down some of his Tasty Tuesdays videos :(
Terrible LPers rising to the top isn't the sign that the internet video world is going to hell, but Billymc taking down his videos is definitely that sign.

• Locked thread