Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

The ARR/HW bundle isn't even meant to be available until the 23rd anyway so while it's lovely that someone might not be able to play if a vendor breaks the street date it isn't really surprising that their accounts can't be activated (or whatever) until HW is available to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

dreffen posted:

Which still doesn't amount to most of DICEs problems. And none of which you mentioned when you were trying to make your lame comparison to DICE.

For someone I've never really interacted with you seem real eager to try and dump on me for an offhand joke. Did you have a bad day?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Jokes are supposed to be funny.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Eej posted:

SE has a whole bunch of other major technical issues like how a significant percentage of people can't use credit cards to pay for subscriptions or additional services because for whatever reason their payment processor blacklists their card for 24 hours per attempt or permanently and support is unable to do anything about it. Or how in 2.0 there was a bug where people could drain you of millions of gil just from being in the same zone as a marketboard. I think you're projecting a little hard with the autism over there.

I ran into that problem with my debit card. Turns out I just have to call them ahead of time and tell them to allow out of country purchases for a day and then it works fine. Part of my banks anti-fraud security and since my bank is a relatively podunk affair I imagine most major credit companies and banks use similar.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Eej posted:

For someone I've never really interacted with you seem real eager to try and dump on me for an offhand joke. Did you have a bad day?

Maybe I'm just triggered by your lovely jokes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Eej posted:

SE has a whole bunch of other major technical issues like how a significant percentage of people can't use credit cards to pay for subscriptions or additional services because for whatever reason their payment processor blacklists their card for 24 hours per attempt or permanently and support is unable to do anything about it.

This is a standard fraud protection used by any payment processor worth two shits. Square Enix uses Global Collect for payment processing which has their own checks and balances. SE may or may not also use additional anti-fraud support like ReD (or whatever they're called now. ACI something) and yeah, if you do something that triggers one of those systems you either have to wait it out or they have to get your info flagged as ok and not actually A Bad Thing.

Having worked with online billing systems, more often than not the issue is something that's outside of Support's hands because it's either your info triggering anti-fraud safety measures or your CC company has the payment type blocked by default and you have to get it changed.

You have to do something really sketchy to get auto-banned on a CC though. Like your US CC is being used to make purchases from China, Russia, or other fraud-heavy areas. US CC info used in China or Russia is a red flag in basically every payment processor's systems just like your bank will* contact you when they see your card's being used in another country without warning.

* only applies to banks and CC providers that aren't total garbage.

</:spergin:>

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is a standard fraud protection used by any payment processor worth two shits. Square Enix uses Global Collect for payment processing which has their own checks and balances. SE may or may not also use additional anti-fraud support like ReD (or whatever they're called now. ACI something) and yeah, if you do something that triggers one of those systems you either have to wait it out or they have to get your info flagged as ok and not actually A Bad Thing.

Having worked with online billing systems, more often than not the issue is something that's outside of Support's hands because it's either your info triggering anti-fraud safety measures or your CC company has the payment type blocked by default and you have to get it changed.

You have to do something really sketchy to get auto-banned on a CC though. Like your US CC is being used to make purchases from China, Russia, or other fraud-heavy areas. US CC info used in China or Russia is a red flag in basically every payment processor's systems just like your bank will* contact you when they see your card's being used in another country without warning.

* only applies to banks and CC providers that aren't total garbage.

</:spergin:>

I triggered it once with my card because I resubbed while I was in Japan half a year ago (makes sense) and then went to pay for my sub a month later back at home. Waited 24 hours to try again, still didn't work. Checked with AMEX, they saw nothing wrong. Tried with a second card, didn't work, got that one locked out. Ended up having to buy a game time card and tried with the credit card again at the end of the 2 month period and it was still blacklisted. Was saved by them introducing Paypal for Crysta a couple months later.

e: there's also a huge sprawling thread on the OF about their payment processing issues

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 13, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

dreffen posted:

"Hey guys, this combo package of the base game and expansion is weird because you can't play it for a week until early access. Now let me tell you how this is exactly the same as the myriad of technical issues that another game developer had because of my crippling autism and inability to grasp nuance. If that isn't your thing though you can just let me talk about Miku-chan~~ in IRC"

Why are you so mad, bro?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Evil Sagan posted:

Jokes are supposed to be funny.

(do not steal)

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Hey guys, I got a new horse.

It's...slightly angrier than the last one.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

i like your horse

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Hey guys, I got a new horse.

It's...slightly angrier than the last one.

Pretty sure that's a Highlander.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

So if I don't have the steam version of FFXIV is there any way to pre-order the digital expansion besides through the Square Enix store? The Square Enix store is straight up not letting me buy anything, when checking out the 'Buy Now' button doesn't work.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

bhsman posted:

I'll give this a shot later, thanks. For what it's worth, here's the message I keep getting when the thing crashes and then recovers:

And now it's starting to stutter and freeze up when I'm just using an internet browser without even turning FF14 on. Maybe my video card is just hosed? :(

I used to have that happen when my vid card got too hot. Might want to check your heart sinks / cooling fans for air flow.

Tarranon posted:

yeap. i added an exception to windows firewall as well even tho i don't use windows firewall. turned off MSE for a bit to see if that made a difference, nothing doing. tried both bit versions of ACT, reset the comp. :iiam:

Maybe it'll magically work again one day, for now I'll just parse from memory

Network mode off or on?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

UraniumFuelElement posted:

So if I don't have the steam version of FFXIV is there any way to pre-order the digital expansion besides through the Square Enix store? The Square Enix store is straight up not letting me buy anything, when checking out the 'Buy Now' button doesn't work.

Greenman Gaming has it for 20% off, digital.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/mmos/final-fantasy-xiv-heavensward-na/

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Any store that has the digital version will work. Amazon, GreenManGaming and Newegg all have it, among other stores.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Why the poo poo would you need early access for Heavensward on a new account (which is what the base/xpac combo is for) when it's going to take you, at minimum, 50 hours of active play to get to actually play any Heavensward content?

It took me 3 days playing like 15 hours a day or some poo poo just to poopsocks through the main story quest at 2.0 launch*.

At worst maybe you can't roll Au Ra and you want to and have to buy a fantasia because waiting for paying for your first subscription is just toooo~ long to wait, boo loving hoo

*e: oh yeah and the open beta gave me a head start of getting through lv 20 so I didn't even have to do that part.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 13, 2015

KoB
May 1, 2009

29.99 here http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

you need to be logged in.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Boten Anna posted:

Why the poo poo would you need early access for Heavensward on a new account (which is what the base/xpac combo is for) when it's going to take you, at minimum, 50 hours of active play to get to actually play any Heavensward content?

It took me 3 days playing like 15 hours a day or some poo poo just to poopsocks through the main story quest at 2.0 launch*.

At worst maybe you can't roll Au Ra and you want to and have to buy a fantasia because waiting for paying for your first subscription is just toooo~ long to wait, boo loving hoo

*e: oh yeah and the open beta gave me a head start of getting through lv 20 so I didn't even have to do that part.

The problem is that you can't even play ARR.

vOv fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 13, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

vOv posted:

The pronblem is that you can't even play ARR.

Are the servers basically down for everyone who doesn't have early access? :confused:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Boten Anna posted:

Are the servers basically down for everyone who doesn't have early access? :confused:

No, what's going on is that if you bought the combination you can't play the game at all until early access comes out. If you just bought them separately you're fine. Which is dumb.

(Either that or I'm horribly misreading what's going on.)

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
If you buy the ARR/Heavensward bundle now, you can't play till EA starts. Which makes sense, because it's a copy of Heavensward.

Like, other mmos don't normally presale base games and expansions together till the game is out so this doesn't exactly have precedence

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It makes roughly as much sense as saying that you could play now, because it's a copy of ARR as well.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

Doublestep posted:

If you buy the ARR/Heavensward bundle now, you can't play till EA starts.

* In order to enjoy the benefits of early access to Heavensward content, you need to be playing FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn and have made sufficient progress in the main scenario. As such, early access will not be available to new players who pre-order the FINAL FANTASY XIV Online all-in-one bundle and have yet to begin their adventures.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/heavensward/#product_area

They likely can't even play until Jun 23

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Stufoo posted:

* In order to enjoy the benefits of early access to Heavensward content, you need to be playing FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn and have made sufficient progress in the main scenario. As such, early access will not be available to new players who pre-order the FINAL FANTASY XIV Online all-in-one bundle and have yet to begin their adventures.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/heavensward/#product_area

They likely can't even play until Jun 23

this owns even more

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Doublestep posted:

If you buy the ARR/Heavensward bundle now, you can't play till EA starts. Which makes sense, because it's a copy of Heavensward.

Like, other mmos don't normally presale base games and expansions together till the game is out so this doesn't exactly have precedence

Why? If I buy a video game that also comes with DLC that will be released in a month, saying that I can't play it until the DLC comes out would be stupid.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

vOv posted:

Why? If I buy a video game that also comes with DLC that will be released in a month, saying that I can't play it until the DLC comes out would be stupid.

Im gonna keep the dice conparisons rolling

Please dont compare china rising to an mmo expansion

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Because you're not buying the game. You're buying a bundle that doesn't come out till the game comes out. Shut the gently caress up.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm just about to hit 48. How long do the post 2.0 story quests take? Will I be able to head into Heavensward content as soon as the early access starts or will I still be stuck on an earlier patch?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hellioning posted:

I'm just about to hit 48. How long do the post 2.0 story quests take? Will I be able to head into Heavensward content as soon as the early access starts or will I still be stuck on an earlier patch?

Youve got time but you need to finish it all before hitting the new city/jobs.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Hellioning posted:

You could, but it's a pretty large amount of content to do in ~6 days. You might want to consider waiting until the expansion drops actually and level something else in the mean time - When 3.0 hits, those quests are going to be giving out EXP and gear to get you through the ilevel requirements of the duties, although we don't know how much EXP or how good the gear will actually be. You could consider it a trade off between leveling multiple classes somewhat more efficiently vs. actually getting into the expansion content faster.

Ith
May 16, 2004
not azn
This game is great.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Manyorcas posted:

You could, but it's a pretty large amount of content to do in ~6 days. You might want to consider waiting until the expansion drops actually and level something else in the mean time - When 3.0 hits, those quests are going to be giving out EXP and gear to get you through the ilevel requirements of the duties, although we don't know how much EXP or how good the gear will actually be. You could consider it a trade off between leveling multiple classes somewhat more efficiently vs. actually getting into the expansion content faster.

Actually it was confirmed that the 2.x post 50 MSQs will not actually grant you any experience sadly.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Omnicrom posted:

Actually it was confirmed that the 2.x post 50 MSQs will not actually grant you any experience sadly.

What? Where?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Omnicrom posted:

FaintlyQuaint posted:

What? Where?

Keeping up with the trickle of information from a bunch of different Square outlets has been weirdly difficult. I admit I gave my EXP advice just based on posts from this thread without checking if it had been confirmed from SE anywhere.

VVVVVV poo poo, I remember reading that too, I must have just forgotten that last line.

Manyorcas fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 13, 2015

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JSCm4VBfKGnegzqWQpsNWKI_uZkSFyVZ3lI1VGvrnl0/pub posted:

A Realm Reborn Adjustments

Aimed at making access to Heavensward content easier
Main Story Quests exp rewards “more than doubled”
Post-2.0 Main Story Quests give equipment rewards.
You will be able to go from New Player → Heavensward without having to do any sidequests, gear from MSQ will be enough to reach item level requirements.
Duty Finder will prioritize people running content for the first time
Level 50 A Realm Reborn content will still give 0 exp.

May be adjusted at a later date.

If I am reading this right, you can't expect to go anywhere exp wise from the MSQ but you can expect to get gear at 50 so you're ready to move into 3.0 after completing the content 2.1-2.5

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 13, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

RuanGacho posted:

If I am reading this right, you can't expect to go anywhere exp wise from the MSQ but you can expect to get gear at 50 so you're ready to move into 3.0 after completing the content 2.1-2.5

:shrug: Sounds okay to me.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
If they're giving people gear with the story quests, its probably so they're able to queue for Steps of Faith by the time they reach it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

:shrug: Sounds okay to me.

sounds like a terrible idea

• Locked thread