Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I believe the specific technology Sandy Bridge introduced was Trusted Execution Technology, which Netflix's HTML5 player (on Safari) uses for DRM. Nehalem didn't have it.
Sandy Bridge Macs were 2011, 2012 was Ivy Bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

enMTW posted:

All Macs with Sandy Bridge processors or older use it for Netflix in Safari. In newer Macs, there is a new EFI call that returns mystery data and is used for DRM - iTunes Movies and HTML 5 DRM in Safari. Older Macs don't have that in the EFI, so they still have to use Silverlight.

Chrome does its own HTML5 DRM thing, so I would just use Chrome to watch Netflix personally.

The really weird part is that I think Sandy Bridge Macs support HTML5 Netflix despite not supporting the EFI thing.

Chrome doesn't play Netflix in full HD on a Mac (in the US) in my experience though. It maxes out at like 3000kbps and not the higher 5800kbps bitrates that Netflix provides for some shows.

Edit: oh you meant on older machines. Yeah that probably is easier than dealing with Silverlight, which is dead.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 12, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm running El Capitan on my 2014 rMBP and it's a marked improvement--Window server isn't going nuts anymore, animations are significantly faster, and pinned tabs in Safari are a long-awaited addition. Being able to hide the Menu bar was an odd concept at first, but then I realized I really only used it for iStat Menus (no longer needed because I'm not constantly checking to see what's bogging down my computer... plus they don't work in 10.11 yet) and checking the time, which I can do with my smartphone. And if there's a keyboard combo for a menu option I can't remember, I can just mouse up to the top of the screen to pop it down.

One kinda annoying thing is that with the Menu Bar hidden, apps can extend all the way up to the top of the display, but there's still like 5px of my desktop that shows through with the dock hidden.

Of course, the answer is "Well why don't you just use fullscreen mode + snap" but I like having Safari/iTunes/Word/whatever take up 2/3 of the screen and Twitter take up 1/3, which isn't currently supported with snap (also Twitter hasn't been rewritten with the 10.10+ libraries that work with fullscreen anyway).

No major issues so far. If a video is playing in Safari tab, the only way to switch away from or close it is to use keyboard shortcuts. This may be by design; maybe people complained about it being too easy to accidentally close a Youtube page, though you can't switch or close the tab even when the video's paused. Also sometimes in text windows a white box will pop up over the window.

Otherwise, I'm quite happy with it, even in this early developer preview.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm too lazy to reboot to my El Capitan install but have been meaning to ask: does El Capitan use mDNSResponder like the latest 10.10.4 betas; ditching discoveryd?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm too lazy to reboot to my El Capitan install but have been meaning to ask: does El Capitan use mDNSResponder like the latest 10.10.4 betas; ditching discoveryd?

From a cursory glance at Activity Monitor it looks like it. I was lucky to never have any WiFi issues at all with Yosemite, so the change back doesn't really effect me, but I'm sure the rest of y'all in the thread will be pleased.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I've noticed they've gone back to a few old things they used to do between OS X 10.11 and iOS 9. mDNSResponder is back, Mission Control doesn't group windows by default, iOS 9 put Spotlight to the left of the other home screens again, etc

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't group windows by default? Jesus, that was one of the most reasonable changes added in 10.7.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Doesn't group windows by default? Jesus, that was one of the most reasonable changes added in 10.7.
Yeah I actually like grouping, but it got a bit useless with a bunch of windows in a single app. The ideal for me would've been for the scroll on a pile (which explodes the window pile out) to explode them out completely (like single app Exposé) instead of leaving them overlapped.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

lelandjs posted:

One kinda annoying thing is that with the Menu Bar hidden, apps can extend all the way up to the top of the display, but there's still like 5px of my desktop that shows through with the dock hidden.

Of course, the answer is "Well why don't you just use fullscreen mode + snap" but I like having Safari/iTunes/Word/whatever take up 2/3 of the screen and Twitter take up 1/3, which isn't currently supported with snap (also Twitter hasn't been rewritten with the 10.10+ libraries that work with fullscreen anyway).
Can you disable hiding the menu bar? There doesn't seem to be much info about it in articles found via Google.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

RusteJuxx posted:

Can you disable hiding the menu bar? There doesn't seem to be much info about it in articles found via Google.

Well it's not the default option so it stays visible unless you turn hiding on.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
All this talk about the cmd/option icons and I'm still confused half the time about what button to press on my windows keyboard :saddowns:

Is there some sort of hack/extension that would change the icons? It sounds like such a minor thing but with now rarely I use shortcuts I have a hard time mentally remembering what button on a PC keyboard corresponds to OSX

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

robodex posted:

All this talk about the cmd/option icons and I'm still confused half the time about what button to press on my windows keyboard :saddowns:

Is there some sort of hack/extension that would change the icons? It sounds like such a minor thing but with now rarely I use shortcuts I have a hard time mentally remembering what button on a PC keyboard corresponds to OSX

isn't it just alt/option switched with cmd/windows?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

AFAIK Windows key is CMD, Alt is Option, and Ctrl is still Ctrl. It's annoying but manageable...

Think of Windows key or Command key as the 'OS specific' button. Alt and Option really mean the same thing. And Control is Control. It's not that difficult, just that the layout is a bit different.

I love using PC keyboards on OS X or Mac keyboards on Linux, no one but me knows what the gently caress is going on. Teaches you to try to use my machine!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

robodex posted:

If you dig into System Preferences and then (I think) Keyboard you can redefine the system keys used by various commands to whatever feels right to you, and this will change the icons shown in the menus as appropriate as well.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah I know it's not super complicated--but there's always that one moment where I'm like "uhh ok, option is.... Alt?" Would just be nice if what was displayed on the screen matched what was on my keyboard.

I'll get used to it eventually, but considering the last time I owned a mac was around 10.5 I'm still re-adjusting.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Keyboard viewer still shows the actual characters (for the various modifier keys, home/end/pg. up and down). Just not esc, for some reason: that's just esc. So there's that, if you're really dying to know how to do the thing you're already in the menu for, since you're looking at the shortcut.

I'm pretty sure it's not on by default, but ctrl+f2 sets keyboard focus to the menubar. That might be handier if you really want to not use a mouse but don't know a shortcut offhand.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

Zenostein posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not on by default, but ctrl+f2 sets keyboard focus to the menubar. That might be handier if you really want to not use a mouse but don't know a shortcut offhand.

Another option is "Cmd + Shift + /" which opens the help menu and leave the cursor in the search box. Then just type the menu option you want, find it on the provided list with the arrow keys and hit return. One of my favorite features of OS X.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Without much ado posted:

Another option is "Cmd + Shift + /" which opens the help menu and leave the cursor in the search box. Then just type the menu option you want, find it on the provided list with the arrow keys and hit return. One of my favorite features of OS X.

Yeah that's a must-have feature and one of the reasons I only do work with Adobe software on OS X if I can help it. What is it with Adobe and burying functions in arbitrary menus designed to appeal to imaginary alien psychology?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hm. I have a bluetooth mouse that has started acting really laggy. I turned bluetooth off and on again, reset the computer, I replaced the batteries, deleted and re-paired the mouse in my bluetooth settings, and have a bluetooth keyboard that doesn't seem to be lagging as badly though it's hard to tell because it's a keyboard. I can't find any particular programs that might be causing this to happen, and it's happened when doing a variety of things. Like, right now I just reset and opened Safari and here we are. There are no other programs open that could be eating resources that weren't running when the mouse wasn't lagging.

Any ideas?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

tuyop posted:

Hm. I have a bluetooth mouse that has started acting really laggy. I turned bluetooth off and on again, reset the computer, I replaced the batteries, deleted and re-paired the mouse in my bluetooth settings, and have a bluetooth keyboard that doesn't seem to be lagging as badly though it's hard to tell because it's a keyboard. I can't find any particular programs that might be causing this to happen, and it's happened when doing a variety of things. Like, right now I just reset and opened Safari and here we are. There are no other programs open that could be eating resources that weren't running when the mouse wasn't lagging.

Any ideas?

Which model Mac?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

enMTW posted:

Which model Mac?

13" Early 2014 Air, 1.4ghz i5, 4gb RAM, Intel HD Graphics 5000, 128gb SSD.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

tuyop posted:

13" Early 2014 Air, 1.4ghz i5, 4gb RAM, Intel HD Graphics 5000, 128gb SSD.

That machine has a really good bluetooth chip. No idea. Are you sure it isn't the mouse? Have you tried another mouse?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you move the computer and mouse somewhere else, does it get less laggy?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Try changing the wireless channel on your router as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

enMTW posted:

That machine has a really good bluetooth chip. No idea. Are you sure it isn't the mouse? Have you tried another mouse?

Just a corded one, which worked fine. I don't have another bluetooth mouse.

It's a super cheap mouse that I ordered eight months ago so I guess it's possible that it's just... dying?

And now my Apple BT keyboard has started hanging or spamming a single key. It just pressed o until I turned off the keyboard and pressed a button on the laptop keyboard. Is that a sign of chip failure? It's possible that the genius bar folks damaged something when they were swapping out my screen last week I guess?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Try changing the wireless channel on your router as well.

Yeah, this didn't do anything.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

tuyop posted:

And now my Apple BT keyboard has started hanging or spamming a single key. It just pressed o until I turned off the keyboard and pressed a button on the laptop keyboard. Is that a sign of chip failure? It's possible that the genius bar folks damaged something when they were swapping out my screen last week I guess?

The bluetooth antenna could have came unplugged.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

enMTW posted:

Looks like a simple fix, should I book an appointment or try to fix it myself? I have the tools, but does taking the cover off like this void my warranty or anything?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

tuyop posted:

Looks like a simple fix, should I book an appointment or try to fix it myself? I have the tools, but does taking the cover off like this void my warranty or anything?

Taking off the cover does not void the warranty, no. Breaking anything inside does. I can't say I recommend opening it if you are not confident in your own ability.

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/BQdUMTer1CZ5keRN.huge

It's that card in the upper left. Near the big rear end black chip (though I don't remember if chip is black in your model. just use the photo for reference)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
So I did a clean install of Yosemite yesterday and then installed Chrome.

It looks like some websites render the font differently? This wasn't an issue prior to the clean install.

Below are the screenshots of SA and Reddit.

SA font remains correct but Reddit is incorrect, along with a lot of other websites I browse to. It looks like the default *nix font?

Or am I going nuts and the fonts are the same in both screenshots?

edit: Nevermind, for some reason Verdana was disabled in my Font Book??

edit2: I think Adobe hosed my fonts up?

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 12, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They look the same to me

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
What's the best/most elegant way to move iTunes movies and TV shows to an external drive while keeping music on the computer? It seems like my best bet would be to move the respective folders from the iTunes Media folder to the external drive and then make aliases to point to their new locations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

surrender posted:

Move the respective folders from the iTunes Media folder to the external drive and then make aliases to point to their new locations.

Or maybe symlinks from Terminal. iTunes is/was picky about this at one point. I'm pretty sure aliases work, but if not, symlink it.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay, last time trying this. I have a MacBook Pro:"Core i5" 2.4 13" Late 2011 2.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-2435M) Model A1278 (EMC 2555*)

It came to me, not wanting to run. I have yet been able to make it run. I thought it was an overheating issue as it would run for a bit then stop, but the mouse would work. Did all the normal stuff (regreased, clean, blah blah blah), it's not a heating issue. The odd thing that was happening before was that it would go to the disk utilities screen, I would click on the reinstall Lion part, and it would start the process, go back to disk utilities and then just stop responding. Sometimes the mouse would move, sometimes it wouldn't. Here are the things I've tried:

Tested RAM: Fine.
Tested HDD: Starting to go bad, but not completely shot (I have since used another HDD).
Tried the SMC recovery (twice).

At this point, I'm sitting here with a blank hard drive, formatted to hfs(c?)+. I tried the USB stick (this one), and a burnt CD and both do the same thing. They start the recovery process, then after a few minutes, it just goes to the disk utility and says to retry the installation.

I'm going to try the internet recovery one last time, unless someone else has an idea?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay, last time trying this. I have a MacBook Pro:"Core i5" 2.4 13" Late 2011 2.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-2435M) Model A1278 (EMC 2555*)

It came to me, not wanting to run. I have yet been able to make it run. I thought it was an overheating issue as it would run for a bit then stop, but the mouse would work. Did all the normal stuff (regreased, clean, blah blah blah), it's not a heating issue. The odd thing that was happening before was that it would go to the disk utilities screen, I would click on the reinstall Lion part, and it would start the process, go back to disk utilities and then just stop responding. Sometimes the mouse would move, sometimes it wouldn't. Here are the things I've tried:

Tested RAM: Fine.
Tested HDD: Starting to go bad, but not completely shot (I have since used another HDD).
Tried the SMC recovery (twice).

At this point, I'm sitting here with a blank hard drive, formatted to hfs(c?)+. I tried the USB stick (this one), and a burnt CD and both do the same thing. They start the recovery process, then after a few minutes, it just goes to the disk utility and says to retry the installation.

I'm going to try the internet recovery one last time, unless someone else has an idea?

Was the CD/DVD burnt from the image provided on the stick? If the image was hosed on the disc, it could be hosed everywhere else too.

Also, maybe try installing Linux or something cuz that might have better error reporting to help point you in the right direction. If you experience mouse freezes on another OS, I'd probably be looking at the processor.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Was the CD/DVD burnt from the image provided on the stick? If the image was hosed on the disc, it could be hosed everywhere else too.

Also, maybe try installing Linux or something cuz that might have better error reporting to help point you in the right direction. If you experience mouse freezes on another OS, I'd probably be looking at the processor.

I'll do a full install with Ubuntu then instead of just a LiveCD.

I bought the USB stick from that place, and the DVD was from a Yosemite torrent I got, and finally got a bootable CD from that.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Gothmog1065 posted:

Might be the SATA cable. They do horrible strange poo poo when that starts to go bad, and it's not uncommon.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

enMTW posted:

I pulled off the back, the antenna is securely seated. Looks good back there.

Is there some kind of software fix I could try? Like reinstalling the Bluetooth driver or something?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

tuyop posted:

Any ideas?

Did ya try resetting the PRAM? Resetting the SMC? Tried a known working Bluetooth mouse or device? Disconnect any existing USB 3 devices?

Boot to the recovery partition and see if the BT device works better under the recovery OS?

BTW, the Bluetooth antenna is embedded inside the display, if that's faulty then the whole display has to be switched out.

Also try making a bootable USB stick with a clean copy of the system on it.

Past that, it being an Early 2014 model, it's probably still in warranty, take it to the Fruit Stand and let them test it rather than noodle around the logic board.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Gothmog1065 posted:

Usually when system installs fail, and RAM tests fine, it's a hardware fault either on the logic board or the hard drive. Since that hard drive has to be at least 3 years old, in my experience it might be on its last legs with bad sectors. Also the SATA cable might be picking up noise, try wrapping it in tinfoil. Or order a new SATA cable from iFixit. Or a new hard drive.