Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

jerichojx posted:

So this game is $57 for me now on Steam. Yes or no should I buy it? I could not really get into Witcher 2.

I barely played Witcher 2 and this is my GOTY.

As an aside, is there anything else worth doing in Skellige after [spoilers]finishing the main quest line and getting all the Places of Power? Also, my "track the Djinn with Yennefr" quest is hilariously bugged. She just sits there in the boat and keeps telling me to get in, and when I do, nothing happens[/spoiler]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Out of curiosity I looked up the final boss encounter in The Witcher 1.

CDPR sure have come far, haven't they?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Plus there's a quest that has 4500 coins as a reward assuming you play it right (might be a way to get 9000 from it but not sure).

About that quest Why the gently caress does Geralt just let Sasha take half if he wins the tournament? What did she even do to make giving her a share seem reasonable? She's like "hey, you and me let's steal the money if we don't win, and if you win I'll have another deal for you" and then you win and it's like "okay gimme cash thx"

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

She just sits there in the boat and keeps telling me to get in, and when I do, nothing happens

You have to sit down on the other seat in the boat man.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Out of curiosity I looked up the final boss encounter in The Witcher 1.

CDPR sure have come far, haven't they?

It's pretty much a exponential improvement with each new game.

Original Witcher got me hooked on the world, even though in hindsight it had lots of annoying clunky elements and hit or miss areas.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

etalian posted:

It's pretty much a exponential improvement with each new game.

Original Witcher got me hooked on the world, even though in hindsight it had lots of annoying clunky elements and hit or miss areas.

The things that stood out to me on the short video I watched was Geralt's medallion shaking like a loving maraca in the corner of the screen, the weightless, awkward spinny attack animations, and the completely weightless feel of the combat, with tons of numbers just flying around.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BisonDollah posted:

If you could go back to Day 1 and give yourself some tips what would they be?

1. Turn off the map, the sun is usually in the East so use that to navigate and the map is one quick flick up on the DualShock touchpad (your objective is one left stick click away).

This is good advice but the sun is usually in the south, since the game takes place in late summer/early autumn way up north. North of the Pontar, use the Temple Tower in Novigrad as a landmark. South of the Pontar, use the giant oak on a hill in Crookback Hills as a landmark. On Ard Skellige, use the huge mountain range on the north end of the isle as a landmark. You can navigate pretty well just by knowing where those three things are.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The color grading in this game washes out the horizon so much that I don't think I'd want to play it like that. I love this game's use of color most of the time but at certain points during the day it just becomes a mess of crushed hues that render the skyline indistinguishable. Sundown in Velen in particular is really hard to look at because the screen just becomes this big stark blob of golden yellow and dark green, god help me if it's raining or something simultaneously.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Calaveron posted:

The things that stood out to me on the short video I watched was Geralt's medallion shaking like a loving maraca in the corner of the screen, the weightless, awkward spinny attack animations, and the completely weightless feel of the combat, with tons of numbers just flying around.

By the end of the game the attack animations get awesome, but it's another case of cool stuff being hidden behind ~30 levels so that most players never even see it. It's hard to call it weightless when you literally tackle a dude to the ground, whip out your dagger and stab him repeatedly in the face.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I really loved Witcher 1 back when it first came out. Act 1 was kinda terrible, granted, but the murder investigation in Act 2 was phenomenal. You could very easily accuse the wrong person, and the game was alright with that.

It was also the game that finally broke my habit of hoarding consumables, and for that I'm forever grateful.

I was never able to finish Witcher 2, despite its length. I'd always get really depressed midway through Act 2 and have to take a really long break.

Witcher 3 though? Amazing.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's the fact that Geralt kinda just stand there doing his moves. I don't even remember him tackling dudes in that game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

dyzzy posted:

It's the fact that Geralt kinda just stand there doing his moves. I don't even remember him tackling dudes in that game.

They had 30 attack animations for Geralt and the 12 coolest ones were locked behind gold talent skills. You play through 80% of the game with 12-18 lame attack animations and many players didn't make it far enough or didn't spec into swords enough to see the good animations. Not a great design decision.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

They had 30 attack animations for Geralt and the 12 coolest ones were locked behind gold talent skills. You play through 80% of the game with 12-18 lame attack animations and many players didn't make it far enough or didn't spec into swords enough to see the good animations. Not a great design decision.

That game had some giant, convoluted-rear end talent system as I recall. Also a pretty goofy ui.

But hey, triple wielding swords! Also visible weapon oils.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow. I had no idea, I'm not even sure I got to that point?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Selane posted:

That game had some giant, convoluted-rear end talent system as I recall. Also a pretty goofy ui.

And that little wolf medallion just shaking its little heart out.
Look at Geralt's Fabio-rear end hair

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Most players who beat the game never saw them either, because there wasn't much point to leveling swordsmanship when you could just fire off Igni and one-shot a dozen men.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yup. Though swords eventually caught up in the trivializing human opponents department.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can anyone confirm or deny that balisse fruit is bugged and no longer drops from plants or appears in herbalist shops? I haven't seen any since 1.04 dropped I think.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

About that quest Why the gently caress does Geralt just let Sasha take half if he wins the tournament? What did she even do to make giving her a share seem reasonable? She's like "hey, you and me let's steal the money if we don't win, and if you win I'll have another deal for you" and then you win and it's like "okay gimme cash thx"

You have to sit down on the other seat in the boat man.

I don't know at the end when she said alright give me the half I fairly earned I was thinking 'bitch what did you do exactly other than hang around?'

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Arglebargle III posted:

Can anyone confirm or deny that balisse fruit is bugged and no longer drops from plants or appears in herbalist shops? I haven't seen any since 1.04 dropped I think.

There's a bunch of it in White Orchard, I just restarted on Death March.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Selane posted:

I would have preferred to use witcher 1 UI and inventory system over what we have in Witcher 3. I'm serious.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Selane posted:

i cant believe the same company made witchers 2 and 3. that pic is some seriously low rent poo poo

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
All that bullshit for Dijkstra and he gives me 90 lousy crowns? There should have been an option to Aard his rear end into the canal and toss a grapeshot after him... guess I did find out what happen to Geralt's boyfriend though.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

I had a hard time finding it too.. It does not grow at all in Velen. Supposedly you can find it in open, treeless areas around Novigraad, or in Skellige. Its a low shrub with purple flowers

Though the only luck I had was in White Orchard, a bunch grows around the herbalist hut, mostly on the opposite side of the road from the hut. Plus the herbalist sells more

on 1.04

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 13, 2015

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Willfrey posted:

I had a hard time finding it too.. It does not grow at all in Velen. Supposedly you can find it in open, treeless areas around Novigraad, or in Skellige. Its a low shrub with purple flowers

Though the only luck I had was in White Orchard, a bunch grows around the herbalist hut, mostly on the opposite side of the road from the hut. Plus the herbalist sells more

on 1.04

iirc, that fruit can be found at the entrance to the White Orchard village outside the tavern just to the left in the garden area where the women are washing clothes. There are multiples of it there so pick away. While you're getting this plant, go swimming in the river looking for more buckthron. Not only does it smell loving awful and attrack Griffons from miles away, it's also used in several high end potion recipies. Go grab some of that too so you don't need to later (nobody sells Buckthorn, not even the master alchemist in Skellige - probably because it smells like poo poo or something who knows).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

I don't know at the end when she said alright give me the half I fairly earned I was thinking 'bitch what did you do exactly other than hang around?'

She sleeps with you, least I figured that's what the "other deal" was.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Broose posted:

I would have preferred to use witcher 1 UI and inventory system over what we have in Witcher 3. I'm serious.

This. Hopefully there will be some good UI and inventory mods at some point.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Holy poo poo did I just see Hjalmar jump through one of wild hunt portals and come back out another?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Avalerion posted:

She sleeps with you, least I figured that's what the "other deal" was.

That's not really all too much of a deal either though considering the game posits it as her being the more interested party in that outcome.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Blue Raider posted:

i cant believe the same company made witchers 2 and 3. that pic is some seriously low rent poo poo

It's a modified version of Neverwinter Nights. I think even at the time the graphics were a little janky but it's a huge game, fully voice acted and with the best sound track of the Witcher series.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sauer kraut posted:

Oh Dijkstra, that was a tough decision with a time limit :ohdear:
Can't wait for that ending slide.

There's a painfully obvious "good" choice there, but it was a tough one because Dijkstra is just such a far more interesting character than the alternatives. They mostly glower and curse, he shows up quoting Macbeth. And a very apropos quotation considering both what's just happened and what happens just afterwards.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Question about the new Gwent cards. Do these new ones replace the old versions or are they a separate set?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lareine posted:

Question about the new Gwent cards. Do these new ones replace the old versions or are they a separate set?
Just a graphics replacement.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I have so much crap in there and Im not sure what I can ditch and not now.

I empty out my notes and books at the bookseller in Novigrad once in a while. I read through everything in case it has bestiary updates or somesuch, then I usually sell everything except Yens letter (Geralt so sentimental), the mysterious letter received in a bookstore, and a diary by Aeramas detailing a psychedelic trip caused by smelling a particularly pungent cheese (too funny to sell).

KPC_Mammon posted:

If playing Gwent is greyed out, instead of white, you've already beaten that character and gained their card.

I think it only means you've played them, not that you've won.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Good ol' Roach working out

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Another tip for people beginning the game that I haven't seen mentioned - you can easily kill whole groups of enemies that outlevel you if you do it from horseback. Remember that when you hold the left mouse button during a fight while sitting on a horse - action will go into slow-motion and Geralt will hold the sword up ready to swing and it's really easy to hit people this way. I'm bolding that as I only discovered it by accident. As a bonus you will decapitate everybody and it's pretty sweet.

It's harder with monsters as your horse gets spooked but now with the free DLC there are some good relatively cheap sets you can buy even in prologue that make the horse brave enough for this tactic to be feasible. It's so easy to clear bandit/deserter camps or monster nests this way even being 10 levels behind your enemies that it's not even funny as you almost don't get hit.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Greenplastic posted:

Good ol' Roach working out

What's up, this happened to me today:

It's a strong horse.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
There's also a decoction that gives you 50% mounted combat bonus and makes your horse immune to fear.

genpj
Aug 11, 2012

Selane posted:

Maybe it was posted before, but if you want to learn more about Witcher development history pre-Witcher 2 and even Witcher 1 guy who is ex-CDPR employee did some amazing vidoes. He presents old demos (actually plays them) and makes comments about how it was like developing first Witcher and what problems CDPR had during this process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMmFiQp3Q_4 - first ever demo of Witcher on different engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBWlnL6Tr6k - second demo, this time using engine that was used in final game.

What is interesting is that CDPR first demos contain character creation and Geralt being NPC.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
ive been trying to clear up my sidequests and ones been sitting there since lvl 9 apparently. im supposed to collect a reward from the king of beggars for freeing rico but the dotted line only leads me to a dead end with the yellow marker just out of reach. what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molrok
May 30, 2011

How the gently caress are you supposed to beat the 2nd (bald) Vildkaarl? The first one I can easily get down with parries and sidestepping his right hook. But as soon as you start fighting the second one the collision detection turns to a ploughing turdpile and I get hit by invisible fists and Geralt is glued to the floor (seriously, I try sidestepping, the animation plays but Geralt is stuck on the spot and then I get hosed to kingdom come).