Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Buy an air-cooled Ducati Monster. The 1100 has only 99 HP but it weighs 370 lbs, literally 8 lbs more than a Ninja 300, both dry weight - I'd be willing to bet after adding coolant, oil and gas they'd be roughly the same weight if not the Monster being lighter. I'm honestly trying to find an industrial scale and someone with a Ninjette to compare because holy poo poo this bike weighs nothing.

Around town it can be a shitheel to ride but that's because Ducati stuck a way-tall first gear on it. A painless swap to a 14-tooth front sprocket takes a lot of that shittiness away from what everyone reports. The Monster has pretty much no top end but you won't care when you're pulling like a freight train from 4k RPM because TORQUE.

The guy/gal on the 1290 SuperDuke will kick your rear end, the S1000R will be looking for you in its mirrors, the Tuono won't know you were there as it blows by. This doesn't matter, though, because you will rarely find a point to use 165+ HP on the street. 100HP is just fine for your average mountain road that's full of bicyclists, trucks and trike riders, and also if you suck at riding like I do.

I think I'm biased because this is the first bike I've had that has a real suspension setup and it's in the "harder you push it in a turn, the better it responds" stage which makes me feel all :getin: about it, but yeah. Air cooled monsters is good bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

revmoo posted:

Hah I wish. Ninja 300 hits 90 in 5th. Try using that in the city

Get a GSX 1400, it'll tootle around at city speeds in 6th.

(And also do nearly 150 mph, but nevermind that)

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

100+mph being "City Speeds" entirely depends on your city.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

Something super simple for my dumb rear end to work on?

New ones come with a warranty! :eng101:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Start here and work your way up:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Chichevache posted:

There is strong scientific evidence to suggest that wheelies, among the other mental and physical benefits, encourage healthy brain growth. Wheelies make you smarter.

SuperDuke will fix your dumb and envelop you in its warm nest of awesome where you can sprout, my friend.

Get SuperDuke.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The answer to "What should I get" is always "SuperDuke" or "Tuono V4R" depending on your tolerance of the Italian Experience.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Spiffness posted:

There is strong scientific evidence to suggest that wheelies, among the other mental and physical benefits, encourage healthy brain growth. Wheelies make you smarter.

SuperDuke will fix your dumb and envelop you in its warm nest of awesome where you can sprout, my friend.

Get SuperDuke.

Sold!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

The answer to "What should I get" is always "SuperDuke" or "Tuono V4R" depending on your tolerance of the Italian Experience.

Everything I've seen leads me to believe aprilias are a lot more reliable (mana aside) than KTM's.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Everything I've seen leads me to believe aprilias are a lot more reliable (mana aside) than KTM's.

Post LC8 KTM = Basically fine. The misc issue here and there.

Before that... yeah.

Aprilia has pulled their act together pretty good too, but this 05 Tuono I'm rebuilding in my garage is a clusterfuck of design.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I'd agree with you for the 2012 and earlier LC8 engines and maybe their dirt stuff (I'm not a dirt guy i donno) but based on my experience I haven't had any major issues crop up in the first 10k and the guys at the shop say they really only see the dirt bikes in for regular issues.

The thumpers are probably the worst.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wasn't there someone here with a near-new SD that had some sort of oil pump assembly issue and the dealership ended up taking the whole engine to bits to make sure it wasn't trashed?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Yup. Though with any manufacturer you're going to have a % of off-the-line issues. It's not really indicative of every bike they produce. When you've got a lot of moving parts defects happen.

I can't speak for other places but at least from my dealer they're also super easy to deal with and if you even have an inkling of a concern that something may/may not be an issue they'll diagnose for you instantly.

KTMs customer service for me so far has been top notch.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

The thumpers are probably the worst.

Not since the 690 was a thing. 08+ is great. Before that, road bikes are a bit rough.

Their dirt bikes are bullet proof.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

revmoo posted:

That's still far more usable in the city than something like a literbike. Mine does 80 mph in 1st gear. There is literally no gear that I can hit redline without breaking a law.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's still far more usable in the city than something like a literbike. Mine does 80 mph in 1st gear. There is literally no gear that I can hit redline without breaking a law.

I bet you could redline the poo poo out of a buell blast without breaking any laws, but then you're riding a buell blast. The grom might work

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Another reason the 1290 owns:
First gear tops out at 50mph. 6th gear tops out at around 165 or so.

KTM actually makes proper wide ratio gearboxes. It's amazing, and the total opposite of the 675 transmissions.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Another reason the 1290 owns:
First gear tops out at 50mph. 6th gear tops out at around 165 or so.

KTM actually makes proper wide ratio gearboxes. It's amazing, and the total opposite of the 675 transmissions.

Yeah, I've never understood ultra-high top gears even on balls-out sports bikes. All the willy-waving aside even the squidliest squid who ever squidded could use a gearbox where you're in the power at a sane speed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, I've never understood ultra-high top gears even on balls-out sports bikes. All the willy-waving aside even the squidliest squid who ever squidded could use a gearbox where you're in the power at a sane speed.

My ZX10 did 160km/h in first and I never felt like it was lacking grunt at sane speeds. Anything north of 5,000rpm and it was the fastest bike I'd ever ridden (still the fastest), below that it was like a middleweight bike with a funny engine sound. It also redlined about 2,000rpm short of it's electronically limited top speed so it seemed reasonable, I guess? It was nice just being able to stick it in first for 'low' speed corners and not worry about changing gear.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

revmoo posted:

lol no it doesn't. go tell tall tales on reddit

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Razzled posted:

lol no it doesn't. go tell tall tales on reddit

The gently caress? Yes it definitely does.

EDIT: Ok according to the speedometer, which is probably closer to 85 if that's what you're getting at.

EDIT2: According to http://www.gearingcommander.com it hits 87.3 @ 11k, and it doesn't redline till 13k.

So....you go to reddit.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 12, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Congratulations, you've figured out you can hold a bike in gear way loving longer than it wants or needs to be! The natural entry for 5th gear on an ex300 is somewhere around 43-55 mph depending on how hard you're gunning it. That's pretty easily usable in the city.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I think I understand why you don't like Reddit

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
You're seriously trying to say a ninja 300 can't use all of its gears in a city so sorry but that makes you a dummy

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My Uly can use all its gears in the city, but I like to putt along in 5th at like 2500rpm. 6800rpm red line, Harley vtwin superiority. Short shifting and making a bunch of noise and hang time off speed humps is way better than anything else.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

revmoo posted:

The gently caress? Yes it definitely does.

EDIT: Ok according to the speedometer, which is probably closer to 85 if that's what you're getting at.

EDIT2: According to http://www.gearingcommander.com it hits 87.3 @ 11k, and it doesn't redline till 13k.

So....you go to reddit.

That's a cool website and all but let's see it on video. Revmoo? Mailbox? Any other 300 owner?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Is this going to be the equivalent of the burnout thing in AI?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Is this going to be the equivalent of the burnout thing in AI?

What happened?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
More like the backing-it-in poo poo talking from last year

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

EX250 Type R posted:

More like the backing-it-in poo poo talking from last year

Look not everybody rides a gold wing with a reverse gear

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I usually make sure to shift around 9k on my 300. That's when it really starts to vibrate. That said, 90 in 5th sounds painful, and I'm not gonna do it. 90th in 6th is at about 9k.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I typically shift around 8k or so just cruising around, though there's plenty of times where I'll redline every gear up to [THE SPEED LIMIT] when I feel like it

I actually noticed it would do 90 in 5th kind of by accident, I happened to have the revs up for a sec and glanced over to the speedo and realized "hey this thing will hit 90 in 5th"

Lynza do you have the clutch lever rattle on yours? Drives me crazy.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
So I just got back from picking up the KLR250 and I just gotta get it out of my system. The bike is great, I love it, I got it for 1500 and it has a lot of nice extras. Great.

But the owner must have fiddled with the aftermarket exhaust to get me information from it, and when he put it back on he installed it wrong, so it was sitting against the fender. I thought it looked off, but I had so much else going on i didnt even consider it. I SHOULD have, because I just got home and saw that the rear fender it was up against is melted all to gently caress. So there goes 100 bux to bike bandit and now my ugly bike is uglier.

On top of that, I guess the carbs are messed up? Even after warmed up, when I go to take the choke off it just slowly stalls. I noticed one of the two lines going from the throttle is out of its socket thing, so when I release it just kind of hangs there, instead of forcing the cable back in. Could this be a problem? Can I pull my carb out tomorrow and clean it without a carb rebuild kit? I don't want to wait days for one to arrive, and I have a whole free day tomorrow to do things.

On top of that, I can't kickstart it to save my soul. I did it once or twice, but no matter what combo of voodoo I do, It won't start for me. Two nice country dudes who were all over how cool my bike was volunteered to get it going again for me so I could make it home. I feel like the biggest ninny that I can't even kickstart my own 250. I tried to do the whole "just stand up and let your weight drop the kick start" but I guess my 157lb self isn't enough to do it.

Oh yeah and I dropped the bike trying to kick start it once, spraining my left foot something terrible.

loving love the bike itself, though. It's the bees knees. I'm just so ashamed of everything related to my involvement with it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Kickstarting will come with practice. Make weight doesn't really matter, it's all in technique. I can kickstart my little brothers 150cc Honda with my hand, and I'm skinny as all hell. Push backwards, then down, if that makes sense.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Coydog posted:

I'm just so ashamed of everything related to my involvement with it.

Nah man, don't be ashamed. I own a Buell Blast, you're fine.

mrking posted:

I bet you could redline the poo poo out of a buell blast without breaking any laws, but then you're riding a buell blast.

It redlines if someone speaks the word "throttle" within earshot :(

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks guys. I'm going to try to clean the carb tomorrow, then hone my technique. Good to know it's something I can pick up with practice.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Was coming home for lunch today, and passed the same construction site I do everyday right next to my home. One of their work trucks was waiting to turn left across my lane. Two lanes in both directions, and a big centre divider in the middle. He's looking right at the two approaching cars coming from the other side, and doesnt see me, so, I start slowing down figuring he's going to pull out on me. The two cars pass, and he looks back to the left, and I swear he looks right at me (I'm ~100ft at this point) and pauses, so, I start to speed up again. And then he pulls right out in front of me, gets half way, and panic stops as he sees me (I think his buddy in the passenger seat freaked out, saw waving as he pulled out) blocking both lanes. I've been riding for 4 months now and have never been so happy that I practiced panic braking on this bike. Managed to stop with about 10 feet to spare.

Still pretty disappointed in myself that I didn't choose to dive to the opposing lanes or the exit, but, I panicked and just went into pants making GBS threads brake mode :( How the gently caress do people not see me? I'm on a bright blue bike in shiny reflective gear in the middle of the day, I should be visible from space.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Your first lesson was a gentle one.

Welcome to THE DEATHRIDERS!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

PhoenixWing posted:

Still pretty disappointed in myself that I didn't choose to dive to the opposing lanes or the exit, but, I panicked and just went into pants making GBS threads brake mode :( How the gently caress do people not see me? I'm on a bright blue bike in shiny reflective gear in the middle of the day, I should be visible from space.

Next time try riding naked, see if it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

mrking posted:

I bet you could redline the poo poo out of a buell blast without breaking any laws, but then you're riding a buell blast. The grom might work

The Blast tops out around an indicated 85, downhill. I don't remember hitting redline. It was just like there wasn't any more power.