Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

To be fair, Follows-Chalk shows up in the distance when you have just been ambushed by a fuckton of dudes also in the distance, and I could not visually distinguish him from the ambushers at a glance--if he said something, I didn't hear it over the gunfire. If I hadn't used VATS to find out he was a named guy and not in an attack stance, I might have shot him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I actually didn't even notice that I shot and killed Follows-Chalk because I was using Bloody Mess, and when I hit him with the ATR he just turned into a pile of gore and slid into the canyon. I also did it so fast that the message saying I failed a lot of the missions didn't show up, or I at least didn't notice them because I was still getting the messages from the start of the quest.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raygereio posted:

A common conspiracy theory that follows out of this is that Bethesda intentionally sabotaged F:NV.
Which naturally is complete nonsense. I mean in order to do something intentionally, you have to have some measure of competency. We're talking about the company who for their own game refused to fix bugs that would have trivial to fix (for example just replacing a > with a <) and introduced backwards flying dragons with a patch (which is a pretty strong indicator no one bothered to actually test stuff). And let's not forget the whole "Woops. We broke how the game handles memory. Oh well. Time to end patch support!" practical joke they pulled.

And I'm not saying that I follow the conspiracy theory. Never attribute to malice what can be explained through incompetence and all that. Bethesda just loving sucks at bugfixes, and sadly Obsidian took flak for it instead because of their past issues with buggy releases.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I was an explosives character with a grenade rifle. Follows-Chalk never had a prayer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even with the bugs New Vegas was a 90+ game so that's probably the worst part of the whole mess.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Who the gently caress is Follows-Chalk

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Something Else posted:

Where people first learn of the "holster weapon to ward off aggression" feature

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Something Else posted:

First friendly NPC in the Honest Hearts area. He comes right after an ambush and you're probably still shooting at vaguely humanoid things.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I tried replaying New Vegas a while ago and immediately quit because of how slowly your character moves. It seems the older I get, the more I have gaming ADD. I am of the opinion that all video game protagonists should move at ludicrously high speeds because it's just so tedious otherwise.

i've been hearing this a ton recently which i find strange, genuinely don't remember it being that bad :confused:

don't even really remember it being an issue around the game's release either. maybe it was a pragmatic optimization on Obsidian's part to make the world seem bigger or to make the lack of diagonal running animations less obvious as you slide across the landscape?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Follows-chalk was basically the Pat Tillman of New Vegas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Where people first learn of the "holster weapon to ward off aggression" feature

I learned that during the shootout with the NCR and the Kings.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RBA Starblade posted:

The single most valuable thing PN or Wanderer's Edition (if you take it, I installed individual bits because I didn't care for most of the overhaul changes) adds is a sprint key. The sprint mods typically include barreling people over too, unless your strength is too low, in which case you fall down. :v:

Speaking of barreling with the sprint button, a bit ago I was running around in Camp Forlorn Hope and I sprinted against some barrels. One of them went flying a good 20 feet away and over a soldier's head, so I sprinted at another one and it flew square at the soldier and whacked him and made him bleed.

Shortly after, I was dicking around in Helios One and accidentally set off Archimedes on the solar array (it's been so long that I forgot how to actually activate it and if I had already done so on my last save). I'm having a really bad time this go-round trying to make nice with the NCR, apparently I hadn't gotten Boone as a companion so that's my current goal.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

King Vidiot posted:

Shortly after, I was dicking around in Helios One and accidentally set off Archimedes on the solar array (it's been so long that I forgot how to actually activate it and if I had already done so on my last save). I'm having a really bad time this go-round trying to make nice with the NCR, apparently I hadn't gotten Boone as a companion so that's my current goal.

Making nice with the NCR would probably be easier if you didn't nuke them with a deathray.

Even if by accident.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Raygereio posted:

Check out Project Nevada.

Bullet time, sprint, enhanced vision, weapon special attacks, etc are more bloat than improvements I find. I think Project Nevada was way worse than FWE, which is strange because they were supposedly made by the same people. Most of the features and customisation in FWE is simply absent from Project Nevada. The revamped hunger/thirst/sleep mechanics were poorly implemented and added very little in the way of interesting gameplay, which is basically unforgivable in a post-apocalypse setting. NV was already horribly bloated with useless crap because of the focus on crafting, with all the mod bloat it was a horrible mess most of the time.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 13, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Flaky posted:

Bullet time, sprint, enhanced vision, weapon special attacks, etc are more bloat than improvements I find. I think Project Nevada was way worse than FWE, which is strange because they were supposedly made by the same people. Most of the features and customisation in FWE is simply absent from Project Nevada. The revamped hunger/thirst/sleep mechanics were poorly implemented and added very little in the way of interesting gameplay, which is basically unforgivable in a post-apocalypse setting. NV was already horribly bloated with useless crap because of the focus on crafting, with all the mod bloat it was a horrible mess most of the time.

You can disable or adjust virtually everything you are talking about here in Project Nevada. I'm not sure if you are trying to play the mod without the MCM (Mod Configuration Menu) present, but there are pages and pages of settings available for PN's MCM control panel.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Flaky posted:

NV was already horribly bloated with useless crap because of the focus on crafting

Jesus loving christ this, if you're going to make a game that is loving based around crafting, please make the user interface slightly less uncomfortable than punching myself in the balls repeatedly.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You can disable or adjust virtually everything you are talking about here in Project Nevada. I'm not sure if you are trying to play the mod without the MCM (Mod Configuration Menu) present, but there are pages and pages of settings available for PN's MCM control panel.

I was familiar with how to use the mod, but thanks for insulting my intelligence anyway. Options for damage multipliers were gimped to the point where 'realistic' weapon damage was simply unattainable. Weapons ended up hilariously unbalanced because of the inherent complexity of the damage system and poor/conflicting weapon implementation by modders. NV didn't even have the courtesy to include the weapons from Fallout 3, which I just find incomprehensible. It was left up to PN to reintroduce them, and even then inserting them into levelled lists was never achieved to anything like the level of FWE, probably because mobs tended to be creatures rather than human. You couldn't even get out of Doc Mitchels house without feeling overpowered, and if you did that certainly didn't last more than a few encounters with random mobs. I was practically tripping over ammo the whole game, whereas in FWE there is an option to remove almost all the ammo and item drops, forcing you to scavenge properly. I forget exactly what changes were made to experience, but I don't recall the player progression as being remotely appropriate either modded or unmodded. Ironically I preferred the much harsher system in FWE where it was almost impossible to get above level 4 or 5 without hundreds of hours invested in finishing all side quests. It was just less complicated (and hence less likely to break immersion that way). Bad design breaks immersion, which I found was a pretty much constant experience in FNV either modded or not.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 13, 2015

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I like crafting poo poo in games But NV just had a Huge Fuckoff list of poo poo that i didnt know what they did and most poo poo did nothing. Great! I got some Belts, can i wear them? No? gently caress off.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hihohe posted:

I like crafting poo poo in games But NV just had a Huge Fuckoff list of poo poo that i didnt know what they did and most poo poo did nothing. Great! I got some Belts, can i wear them? No? gently caress off.
You were supposed to use them to craft super stimpaks and gecko armor

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You were supposed to use them to craft super stimpaks and gecko armor

The UI was still crap, and it really turned me off on crafting even though I'd thought I was going to love it. As it was I learned how to make bullets, doctors bags, and weapon repair kits and that was far as my interest could take me .

Would it really be THAT hard to make a decent UI that also works with controllers? I can't help but think that the Fallout menu system could have one one global "tab" group that your stick only toggled through while you held a certain bumper. That would eliminate the worst part of the UI, the constant sorting up and down and left and right of the UI. Check your current thirst? 2 inputs up to the global menu, then over once, then down again. Now you want to see your ammo? Up to the main menu, then over, then down again. I might be miss characterizing the UI because I don't have it in front of me, but I'd think it could have been a lot faster even with a controller.

But you know what? Bethesda makes a better console UI than what I saw in Witcher 2.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I liked the stuff you could make, especially the ammo, but the UI for it was bad yes.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

That's my complaint with Obsidian is it seems that they have to put crafting and damage threshold into every game they make, to some extent.
That's not why I buy your games dudes.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Fallout 4 has me pessimistic in a way that I almost never am about major game releases. I can't help but think you're a lunatic to expect anything but Skyrim with a fresh coat of paint and VATS, which just isn't nearly enough in a world where New Vegas and the Witcher 3 exist. Bethesda seriously need to hire decent animators and writers, not to mention abandon the rotting husk of an engine they've been using for roughly forever. There's so much that I think Fallout 4 should do but am almost certain it won't.

Here's hoping we see something at E3 to prove me wrong, I guess?

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

You guys really make me hate games I thought I enjoyed. Man gently caress this franchise!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really agree with people who favor Fallout: NV, but the dividing line on that seems to be if you played the first two in their time or not. I've not met anyone who came in with F3 and doesn't prefer it to new vegas.

For me, Fallout 3 has a lot of problems and is the lesser game, mostly because Bethesda isn't very good at story or dialogue. Fallout 3 was still good to me when New Vegas didn't exist though. the Capital Wasteland absolutely was not a cohesive world, and the story elements don't hold up to scrutiny, but it was definitely a fun post apocalyptic rubble simulator in the pre-2010 world. I still enjoy playing Skyrim now and then several years later, despite having almost the same loving issues F3 has, so I figure I'll probably be able to enjoy Fallout 4 just as much.

I share the gooniest views about the quality of these games compared to each other, but I guess I just don't hold them with enough sincerity or conviction to bitch and moan that Bethesda hasn't just handed the series off to Obsidian. I'll be happy with what I get, and I hope some of the original Fallout 1/2 guys get a chance to work on another Fallout title at some point down the line v:shobon:v

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Phrasing posted:

You guys really make me hate games I thought I enjoyed. Man gently caress this franchise!

You better not hate Fallout 1, one of the best games ever made.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 13, 2015

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I hope I can marry a robot in this game and eat sweetrolls.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

hemophilia posted:

I really agree with people who favor Fallout: NV, but the dividing line on that seems to be if you played the first two in their time or not. I've not met anyone who came in with F3 and doesn't prefer it to new vegas.

For me, Fallout 3 has a lot of problems and is the lesser game, mostly because Bethesda isn't very good at story or dialogue. Fallout 3 was still good to me when New Vegas didn't exist though. the Capital Wasteland absolutely was not a cohesive world, and the story elements don't hold up to scrutiny, but it was definitely a fun post apocalyptic rubble simulator in the pre-2010 world. I still enjoy playing Skyrim now and then several years later, despite having almost the same loving issues F3 has, so I figure I'll probably be able to enjoy Fallout 4 just as much.

I share the gooniest views about the quality of these games compared to each other, but I guess I just don't hold them with enough sincerity or conviction to bitch and moan that Bethesda hasn't just handed the series off to Obsidian. I'll be happy with what I get, and I hope some of the original Fallout 1/2 guys get a chance to work on another Fallout title at some point down the line v:shobon:v

In a sense, I'm happy that Bethesda has a hold of Fallout, as long as they keep loaning it back to Obsidian. Bethesda lays the groundwork with their basic game, then lets Obsidian polish that game to a mirror shine and make a more enjoyable product out of it. And Bethesdas stuff isn't bad, it just tends to be shallow. Good for one run, but not much else. Without modding, that is.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

That's my complaint with Obsidian is it seems that they have to put crafting and damage threshold into every game they make, to some extent.
That's not why I buy your games dudes.

DT is actually super cool and you should just deal with it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

This game will be super good, I'm sure Bethesda has learned from their past mistakes this time!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Flaky posted:

I was familiar with how to use the mod, but thanks for insulting my intelligence anyway. Options for damage multipliers were gimped to the point where 'realistic' weapon damage was simply unattainable. Weapons ended up hilariously unbalanced because of the inherent complexity of the damage system and poor/conflicting weapon implementation by modders. NV didn't even have the courtesy to include the weapons from Fallout 3, which I just find incomprehensible. It was left up to PN to reintroduce them, and even then inserting them into levelled lists was never achieved to anything like the level of FWE, probably because mobs tended to be creatures rather than human. You couldn't even get out of Doc Mitchels house without feeling overpowered, and if you did that certainly didn't last more than a few encounters with random mobs. I was practically tripping over ammo the whole game, whereas in FWE there is an option to remove almost all the ammo and item drops, forcing you to scavenge properly. I forget exactly what changes were made to experience, but I don't recall the player progression as being remotely appropriate either modded or unmodded. Ironically I preferred the much harsher system in FWE where it was almost impossible to get above level 4 or 5 without hundreds of hours invested in finishing all side quests. It was just less complicated (and hence less likely to break immersion that way). Bad design breaks immersion, which I found was a pretty much constant experience in FNV either modded or not.

I'm just saying, man. You certainly didn't seem like you knew what MCM was from that post I quoted. That's a fact.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Groovelord Neato posted:

Even with the bugs New Vegas was a 90+ game so that's probably the worst part of the whole mess.

Fallout was 91

NV was 84

At least on metacritic

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

hemophilia posted:

I haven't played the first two games and I prefer new vegas over fallout 3. Hi how are you

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

hemophilia posted:

Discussions about the Fallout series are invariably the same. Fallout: New Vegas, it is said, has better plot and writing(please note that there will be special discussion for Dead Money, which will be universally lauded for its characters and story lines, but debated for the merits of its game play modifications). But its more linear(never mind that while there is an "easiest" path for straightforward characters, numerous paths exist for those willing to experiment with the gameplay structure). Fallout 3, on the other hand, has more "cool stuff" to explore(what, precisely that "cool stuff" is is never specified. Towns governed by little children? Nuka-cola collectors? loving Three Dog? HP Lovecraft references WHO KNOWS!?). Also, it has "set pieces." Never mind what a set piece is, it just involves big robots and explosions(see also, the end of TESIV: Oblivion).

Personally, the "post apocalypse" has limited interest for me, especially when its a theme so common as to be genre unto itself. What made Fallout interesting to me(aside form non linear plot structure, general writing, and open ended character progression) was that it examined how societies were evolving in the waste of the post apocalypse. In Fallout, things were still chaotic and disorganized, but you saw societies trying to form in somewhat coherent manners. Even the villainous monsters, the super mutants, were examples of this. Fallout 2 was laden with silly, dated jokes. But it continued this theme. There was definite progress and a sense of different groups responding to the new world in different ways(see Vault City vs. the NCR). And Fallout: New Vegas continued this theme.

The issue with Fallout 3 isn't merely lack of verisimilitude because its been 200 years since the bombs fell-its that there's been zero thought put into its world/story.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Fallout was 91

NV was 84

At least on metacritic

Criminal. (I meant it was still worthy of a 90+ score with the bugs if you didn't get my meaning.)

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 13, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Wasn't release NV loving buggy as all hell?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

frajaq posted:

In the earliest versions, when NPCs frowned, the FPS would drop into single digits thanks to a Facegen boner.

EDIT: Oh, there was also the short-lived bug where everything was immortal, including pissant Geckos and that dude who tricks you into trying to rescue his "girlfriend".

EDIT 2: Goo and ash piles never went away. Eventually it'd kill your game. Whole world would be buried under toxic goo and smoldering ash.

EDIT 3: Saves didn't work. The Steam cloud would eat your poo poo.

EDIT 4: Something was really hosed about the cowboy repeater. I don't remember what but it was completely unacceptable.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 13, 2015

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

frajaq posted:

For the first few days saving the game didn't work for a lot of people.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I love Morrowind/Fallout/Oblivion/Skyrim but it just feels like Bethesda never really learn from really, really basic poo poo. Animations and voicework especially :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

frajaq posted:

Blame the non-existent testers for that

• Locked thread