Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
yeah I thought about explicitly excepting buzzcuts and full shaves, that's totally fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Rurutia posted:

My husband was a west coast programmer. He never let himself go. :colbert:
Relatively few of my dev co-workers are fat. I meant more in terms of a relaxed dress code and other parts of appearance (I can go 3 or 4 months between haircuts easily).

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Cicero posted:

Relatively few of my dev co-workers are fat. I meant more in terms of a relaxed dress code and other parts of appearance (I can go 3 or 4 months between haircuts easily).

I was including that. I think it's one thing to wear casual clothes to work and another to wear wrinkly, ill fitting, pilling or holey stuff to work. Which I know happens without notice on the west coast.

My response to you was a minor comment anyways. I was mostly pointing out to n8r that you don't need to really spend money to not look like a hobo/trash.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Rurutia posted:

I think it's one thing to wear casual clothes to work and another to wear wrinkly, ill fitting, pilling or holey stuff to work. Which I know happens without notice on the west coast.
Huh, I don't really see that but then again I'm a programmer so even if that was the case there's a good chance I wouldn't notice.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Rurutia posted:

I basically watched all the popular ones and took tips from all of them to fit my hair... Usually they are doing their own hair so if I like the way it looks on them and they have similar hair texture as me I watched it. I'd honestly do that instead of watching the ones I liked because if I remember correctly you are caucasian with fine hair. I'm asian with pretty high protein hair.
Cool, thanks! I'm going to try to do this one now, it looks really easy for long hair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brmQhv6Uw1g

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I cut my own hair (long, wavy w/layers) for the first time this week and really all I can say for it was it wasn't a total disaster. Seems like all the ponytail method tutorials I read and watched ended up with the back shaped like a V and I didn't much care for how that looked so I had to spend some time getting that even but the extra step was worth it.

I wasn't doing it to save money, I just can't find anyone who can cut my hair worth a poo poo around here. Until she moved out of the state I was driving ~70 miles to have my cousin cut it and was also paying her instead of abusing the family discount, so that was probably bad with money but she did a fantastic job and I miss being able to have her cut it.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

I cut my own hair (long, wavy w/layers) for the first time this week and really all I can say for it was it wasn't a total disaster. Seems like all the ponytail method tutorials I read and watched ended up with the back shaped like a V and I didn't much care for how that looked so I had to spend some time getting that even but the extra step was worth it.
In the video I linked, she shows how the angle changes that V-shape. If you cut at a less steep angle, you get less of an effect. I agree, I like the more even style rather than the V-shape (looks too young for a fuddy duddy 30 year old like me). 'Not a total disaster' sounds perfect, I just don't want the split ends I get after forgetting about it. I swear to god, I do oil changes more often than haircuts :v:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

I wasn't doing it to save money, I just can't find anyone who can cut my hair worth a poo poo around here. Until she moved out of the state I was driving ~70 miles to have my cousin cut it and was also paying her instead of abusing the family discount, so that was probably bad with money but she did a fantastic job and I miss being able to have her cut it.

I feel you. The only person I found around here who could cut my hair properly was $70 per cut. v:shobon:v

I agree that the ponytail method sucks. I don't use it. I find it easier to even things out if you cut off the length in one stroke on each side. Then layer and even it out from there. Here's what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ-TDoJX1zU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um1hqXh7-cc

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

moana posted:

In the video I linked, she shows how the angle changes that V-shape. If you cut at a less steep angle, you get less of an effect. I agree, I like the more even style rather than the V-shape (looks too young for a fuddy duddy 30 year old like me). 'Not a total disaster' sounds perfect, I just don't want the split ends I get after forgetting about it. I swear to god, I do oil changes more often than haircuts :v:

Yeah I think as long as you're mostly just doing a trim nobody is going to be able to tell you just chopped on it yourself. Good luck!

edit^^
I ended up using a combo of ponytail in a couple different positions plus pulling everything to the front like that to get rid of the extra length. Fortunately being wavy my hair is pretty forgiving of a haphazard trim job.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 12, 2015

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

canyoneer posted:

Beauty school and licensing is such a scam. Is a bad haircut enough of a public health risk that the state needs to license barbers and inspect salons?
You're missing the point. It's super easy to spread lice and other stuff around if you don't know what you're doing. Barbers and stylists tend to handle a range of different chemicals and they need to know how to use and store them properly.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Rurutia posted:

I agree that the ponytail method sucks. I don't use it. I find it easier to even things out if you cut off the length in one stroke on each side. Then layer and even it out from there. Here's what I'm talking about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ-TDoJX1zU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um1hqXh7-cc
Ooh, okay, I see. I like that second one.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Secks Cauldron posted:

You're missing the point. It's super easy to spread lice and other stuff around if you don't know what you're doing. Barbers and stylists tend to handle a range of different chemicals and they need to know how to use and store them properly.

Which is a perfectly valid point until you compare it to the regulations around food which you actually put in your mouth and eat. No one ever died from head lice.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Cicero posted:

Yet another reason being a west coast programmer owns.

i didn't feel like changing before yoga today so i wore my yoga shorts and a tshirt that is literally falling apart all morning at work. programming rules

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Which is a perfectly valid point until you compare it to the regulations around food which you actually put in your mouth and eat. No one ever died from head lice.

To be honest I would prefer not having to worry about head lice every time I go to the barber so I don't see the problem? :confused:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

canyoneer posted:

Beauty school and licensing is such a scam. Is a bad haircut enough of a public health risk that the state needs to license barbers and inspect salons?

Didn't barbers used to pull teeth and amputate limbs?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

canyoneer posted:

Beauty school and licensing is such a scam. Is a bad haircut enough of a public health risk that the state needs to license barbers and inspect salons? Best part is that my state requires no training or certification on safe food handling for restaurant employees, but if you're thinking about using scissors or clippers it's suddenly a big health issue.
Yes, because a hairdresser touches many people's heads in a given day, making the hairdresser a potential risk for spreading communicative diseases. Food-handlers are more likely to spread non-communicative diseases like food poisoning type stuff.

I'm not saying that some beauty schools aren't scams, though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Yeah but if you die because of a barber shop disease, your spending drops to $0 and your life insurance pays out. Good with money.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Renegret posted:

$40,000 glass railing

...$40,000 glass railing

$40,000 glass railing
I am bad with money and had a glass/metal railing installed in our house. But drat does it look sweet.

Not quite $40k.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

If you think food regulations are too lax then go do something about it. I'm perfectly happy not getting lice or various diseases along with my haircut.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Cicero posted:

Yet another reason being a west coast programmer owns.

West coast rent is bad with money, good with lazy dress. I wear basketball shorts and hoodies to work, but they're like, brand name so it's ok.

Edit: Also, purchased at Nordstrom Rack which is good for things except for the times that brands try to trick the consumer with identically packaged items which are of lower quality than retail (CK underwear)

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 13, 2015

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

Yes, because a hairdresser touches many people's heads in a given day, making the hairdresser a potential risk for spreading communicative diseases. Food-handlers are more likely to spread non-communicative diseases like food poisoning type stuff.

I'm not saying that some beauty schools aren't scams, though.

I suppose you've never heard about Typhoid Mary, salmonella, or hepatitis A. There are many very deadly diseases that can be spread much more readily by people in the food service industry than the person who cuts your hair.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
You guys know food service and sanitation is regulated and licensed like everywhere in any non third world country, right? What the gently caress are you even arguing about with food service versus barber shops

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

You guys know food service and sanitation is regulated and licensed like everywhere in any non third world country, right? What the gently caress are you even arguing about with food service versus barber shops

I'd assume they want their nutsack pubes trimmed so it's tidy enough to eat off of.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

That if food service doesn't require a year or more of training to perform safely, it's pretty unlikely that other service jobs like stylists, etc. do, and that these requirements seem to be more about supporting the training industry rather than producing safe barbers.

Really difficult concept.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Bad with money: steppng out of my hermetically sealed fallout shelter and interacting with (ugh) service personnel.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

moana posted:

Ooh, okay, I see. I like that second one.

So do I :heysexy:

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
The east coast owns because none of my coworkers wear basketball shorts and hoodies :colbert:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Series DD Funding posted:

The east coast owns because none of my coworkers wear basketball shorts and hoodies :colbert:

In fact, everywhere outside of a few weird enclaves on the west coast and, like, Austin is this way.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Just saw a girl's dating profile which I couldn't back out of fast enough. Her headline: "How do you feel about horses and Disney?"

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SpelledBackwards posted:

Just saw a girl's dating profile which I couldn't back out of fast enough. Her headline: "How do you feel about horses and Disney?"

do you have a link

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

ohgodwhat posted:

That if food service doesn't require a year or more of training to perform safely, it's pretty unlikely that other service jobs like stylists, etc. do, and that these requirements seem to be more about supporting the training industry rather than producing safe barbers.

Being eligible for a state license and attending an entire year of cosmetology school to, you know, learn how to actually cut and style hair etc are not the same thing

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Yeah, except state licenses can require a full year of studying to be a cosmetologist to be eligible...

ID: 2000 hours
CA: 1600/3200 hours
IL: 1500 hours
PA: 1250 hours

I mean, that came up in the discussion...

EDIT: For the record, I am fine with requiring stringent safety training, but that doesn't take a year.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 13, 2015

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

at the date posted:

do you have a link

I won't stoop so low, but she otherwise seemed reasonably normal. We all know otherwise.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SpelledBackwards posted:

I won't stoop so low, but she otherwise seemed reasonably normal. We all know otherwise.

You mistake my intention.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

ohgodwhat posted:

If we're just talking clippers and scissors, sure - give someone a first aid course and some knowledge about blood-borne pathogens. But hair stylists deal with dangerous chemicals every day, with the risk of not just hurting themselves or ruining a batch of food, but seriously injuring paying customer. Everyday processes like perms, relaxers, and dye jobs can easily result in serious chemical burns.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Anyone you know ever died of AIDS? When I was in Nigeria, barbershops would spray the hell out of their clippers with a cleaning aerosol and then place them in a UV toaster-oven for an hour, rotating through multiple sets. They always encouraged their repeat customers to bring their own clippers from home.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Giant Goats posted:

If we're just talking clippers and scissors, sure - give someone a first aid course and some knowledge about blood-borne pathogens. But hair stylists deal with dangerous chemicals every day, with the risk of not just hurting themselves or ruining a batch of food, but seriously injuring paying customer. Everyday processes like perms, relaxers, and dye jobs can easily result in serious chemical burns.

And if you're actually licensed as a "barber" as opposed to a "stylist" or "cosmetologist", many states require you to demonstrate that you can safely perform a straight-razor shave.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Bad with money - I was watching some HGTV house hunters spin off for a couple who wanted to move to big sky montana. Apparently they also had a horse. Not only were they going over their budget but they also still needed to build a stable. #horsechat

my husband after reading this page - "But do they have a barber for their horse?"

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Aliquid posted:

Anyone you know ever died of AIDS? When I was in Nigeria, barbershops would spray the hell out of their clippers with a cleaning aerosol and then place them in a UV toaster-oven for an hour, rotating through multiple sets. They always encouraged their repeat customers to bring their own clippers from home.

I was under the impression that HIV couldn't survive long outside a a host body, and that most common disinfectants (such as the stuff First World barbers keep their combs in) could easily exterminate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Cockmaster posted:

I was under the impression that HIV couldn't survive long outside a a host body, and that most common disinfectants (such as the stuff First World barbers keep their combs in) could easily exterminate it.

HIV only has a few minute lifespan outside the body but Hep C can live in wet fluids outside the body for over a day.

• Locked thread