Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Snak posted:

Yeah, it's heavily implied that Wei has murdered someone before the events of the game.

The other difference between Aiden and Wei is we have no information on why Aiden was a criminal. With Wei, he grew up in a bad neighborhood (his cover is 'I came back to town to look for work with old friends', after all), moved, his sister died from her interactions with the Triads and crime in the US, and he immediately responded by joining the police to fight the people he saw as responsible for killing his sister. At the same time, he sympathizes with them because he comes from a very similar background.

With Aiden, all we've gotten is a throwaway about how his dad was probably maybe a career criminal and he was too. Like, the Aiden/Wei comparison is productive because they're both going to kill dozens and dozens of people, but one manages to stay likeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

The other difference between Aiden and Wei is we have no information on why Aiden was a criminal. With Wei, he grew up in a bad neighborhood (his cover is 'I came back to town to look for work with old friends', after all), moved, his sister died from her interactions with the Triads and crime in the US, and he immediately responded by joining the police to fight the people he saw as responsible for killing his sister. At the same time, he sympathizes with them because he comes from a very similar background.

With Aiden, all we've gotten is a throwaway about how his dad was probably maybe a career criminal and he was too. Like, the Aiden/Wei comparison is productive because they're both going to kill dozens and dozens of people, but one manages to stay likeable.

Cliche as it is, one thing they could have done with Aiden is have him give up crime after his getting caught robbing people lead directly to his niece's death. The flash-forward could have been him trying to live honestly and fix his life. Then he could be dragged back into it by being one of the few who understand that ctOS is going to be a disaster. He could have gotten involved with BadBoy17 just trying to find out how bad the privacy and security concerns of ctOS really are. Then, when he hacks into ctOS for the first time with BadBoy17's help, he realizes that ctOS access allows you to profile anyone.

That would create a lot more sympathy for the character than "I hack and rob everyone" - > "my niece died" -> "so I still hack and rob everyone".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey now. He hacks and robs people who can't fight back. That's totally different. He totally avoids people who can threaten him. Much more sympathetic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snak posted:

Cliche as it is, one thing they could have done with Aiden is have him give up crime after his getting caught robbing people lead directly to his niece's death. The flash-forward could have been him trying to live honestly and fix his life. Then he could be dragged back into it by being one of the few who understand that ctOS is going to be a disaster. He could have gotten involved with BadBoy17 just trying to find out how bad the privacy and security concerns of ctOS really are. Then, when he hacks into ctOS for the first time with BadBoy17's help, he realizes that ctOS access allows you to profile anyone.

That would create a lot more sympathy for the character than "I hack and rob everyone" - > "my niece died" -> "so I still hack and rob everyone".

I think the game could have done with some more extended prologue segments taking place before the Chicago Chicagos game, showing how Aiden came to meet BadBoy17 and become a vengeful vigilante. The sudden transition from Lana's death to him beating up an informant implies that the events take place almost immediately one after the other with no gap in time, which leaves the whole game world to sorta smack you in the face.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the game could have done with some more extended prologue segments taking place before the Chicago Chicagos game, showing how Aiden came to meet BadBoy17 and become a vengeful vigilante. The sudden transition from Lana's death to him beating up an informant implies that the events take place almost immediately one after the other with no gap in time, which leaves the whole game world to sorta smack you in the face.

I mean, revenge as a motive works best when it feels like an innocent person has been wronged. Everything in the game and Aiden himself acts like the shooter murdered his niece out of spite, when in the actual cutscene, it looks like he just shot out Aiden's tire. and caused them to wreck. The shooter may not have even known the little girl was in the car. Aiden was the target because he's a bad guy. His niece died in a car wreck. The kind that Aiden causes every time he hacks a traffic light. "The Shooter" was just some guy doing a job exactly like all the jobs Aiden does. Aiden has an app for "there are bad people driving down the street, go kill them" and he just takes the internet's word for it. If you accidentally drive on the sidewalk, you "lose points" for killing civilians.

edit: It's like if the premise of GTA was "someone stole my car, that's super hosed up and I need to get revenge"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Actually, the hardened criminal thing could've been used to get him involved with CtOS. Have him give up the game and try to live honestly, then get attacked by either a vigilante or grabbed by the cops because he happened to walk close to one of the guys who hit his niece and someone's Crime Probability Radar went off, then get him involved with people opposing Blume.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Night10194 posted:

Actually, the hardened criminal thing could've been used to get him involved with CtOS. Have him give up the game and try to live honestly, then get attacked by either a vigilante or grabbed by the cops because he happened to walk close to one of the guys who hit his niece and someone's Crime Probability Radar went off, then get him involved with people opposing Blume.

That's not how CtOS works, though (at least so far). It's not simply a matter of having opportunity and motive, you have to have a plan, and then talk about it in an area that it can track. It's not prescient, it's just taking text conversations like:

"You're going to have to take care of him."
"Yeah, I told Bob to meet me at the docks in an hour."
"You know where to hide the body."

...and reaching the incredibly obvious conclusion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Felinoid posted:

That's not how CtOS works, though (at least so far). It's not simply a matter of having opportunity and motive, you have to have a plan, and then talk about it in an area that it can track. It's not prescient, it's just taking text conversations like:

"You're going to have to take care of him."
"Yeah, I told Bob to meet me at the docks in an hour."
"You know where to hide the body."

...and reaching the incredibly obvious conclusion.

Fine, then change it a bit and have an old contact (Jordi or someone) text him with 'Hey, man, I know you're out, but I found The Guy.' and him reply, in the moment, with 'Where is he? And can you get me a gun?' and then have a scene of brooding about it before deciding not to go through with it, moments before the cops burst into his apartment and arrest him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snak posted:

I mean, revenge as a motive works best when it feels like an innocent person has been wronged. Everything in the game and Aiden himself acts like the shooter murdered his niece out of spite, when in the actual cutscene, it looks like he just shot out Aiden's tire. and caused them to wreck. The shooter may not have even known the little girl was in the car. Aiden was the target because he's a bad guy. His niece died in a car wreck. The kind that Aiden causes every time he hacks a traffic light. "The Shooter" was just some guy doing a job exactly like all the jobs Aiden does. Aiden has an app for "there are bad people driving down the street, go kill them" and he just takes the internet's word for it. If you accidentally drive on the sidewalk, you "lose points" for killing civilians.

edit: It's like if the premise of GTA was "someone stole my car, that's super hosed up and I need to get revenge"

The shooter (God, I already forgot his name when Jordi isn't constantly reminding me "Hey, remember that guy? Still here, still bein' comically abused!") even says during his beating/interrogation that he didn't know a kid was going to show up during the assassination.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And Aiden is only human, so I could get his reaction being like this, if Aiden didn't also cause car accidents for breakfast.

edit: VV I think the explanation is pretty clear: he's a piece of poo poo.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 11, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Like a lot of things, there is actually a decently-written explanation of Aiden's proclivities (sort of), but it's hidden in one of those unlockable audiofiles with the rest of the good writing.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

The shooter (God, I already forgot his name when Jordi isn't constantly reminding me "Hey, remember that guy? Still here, still bein' comically abused!") even says during his beating/interrogation that he didn't know a kid was going to show up during the assassination.

I hope in Watch_Dogs_2 it turns out Maurice survives and starred selling fake doors

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Wapole Languray posted:

That and Sleeping Dogs admits that Wei has Problems. Throughout the game you unlock various character's Psych Profiles from the HKPD, most of which are just little extra background info on NPCs. Wei's points out that while he's a terrific undercover operative, he gets way to attached to his cover-identities, and also has serious authority and anger issues. So... y'know a flawed, if sympathetic, protagonist.

Aiden's just a fuckhead.

Yeah I like Wei as a character, and I liked that the non-linear aspect of the game was essentially you influencing which aspect of himself to promote above the other, thus influencing him as a person. It feels quite different than the Mass Effect method of putting words in Shepard's mouth, though it's essentially the same thing.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Last week's D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die stream is up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiQm46I9uMY

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope this is a feature that comes back in MGS V.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

RareAcumen posted:

That from Metal Gear Online or something?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

RareAcumen posted:

That's some nice Liquid Ocelot smugness, but I'd prefer the ability to mimic the best cutscene in MGS 4 by pulling out our finger guns and yelling "Bang!".

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

He does have that ability actually, it shuts down people from being able to use their guns for a few seconds actually. He also has the ability to do it in an area around him which is hard to do since it takes him a second to shoot himself with his fingergun :v:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Is there a separate button for meowing? This is important.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Aithon posted:

Is there a separate button for meowing? This is important.

That was in MGS3 online.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

He does have that ability actually, it shuts down people from being able to use their guns for a few seconds actually. He also has the ability to do it in an area around him which is hard to do since it takes him a second to shoot himself with his fingergun :v:

Excellent. Is he properly smug?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

He kinda sticks his arms out and goes "Behold,Guns of the Patriots!" if that counts. Bonus hilarity points if the ability missed sombody who was just out of range or sniping or whatever and he gets headshot in the middle of the line.

Edit: https://youtu.be/iMRhZfb-QFM?t=70

Here's a gameplay vid of sombody playing Ocelot right as he uses said ability, judge for yourself!

I had also completely forgotten that he also has a special ability to create a time paradox in a deathmatch game and make it go on for a bit longer if the conditions are met.

If Phantom Pain's multiplayer is anywhere near as crazy as this was it's going to be :allears:

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 13, 2015

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
That video seriously makes me excited for the new MGO. Even without the extra character absurdity, the game had some very solid mechanics, and since the Ground Zeroes maps are really big, I think we might be able to expect something closer to Battlefield 2, which was a great game.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
This update was a little delayed because I've been spending a lot of time setting up audio equipment for our E3 streams. I'll be posting more info on that soon.

Episode 8: Bean.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
So, now we finally know what Aiden looks like to others when he's playing his AR games.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Across the street from Millennium Park is the Chicago Cultural Center. They've always got a couple of art displays set up there and admittance is free. They've also got a sweet classical dome built into the top floor. Super classy place.

Watching a concert and checking out some art is a great way to kill an afternoon without spending anything while also tricking yourself into thinking you're cultured.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Aaaaand here enters Damien, unnecessary douche.

I mean that in both he and Aiden are unnecessarily douchey towards each other (though Aiden does at least have somewhat understandable motivations if you discount how he actually acts), but also that Damien's presence within the story is mostly just an unnecessary complication.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
God, I still can't get over the lovely motorcycle sound design. How did no one think to try to fix that?

I liked that cutscene with Damien, surprisingly.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

That last NPC raises the question of what Aiden is doing while spidertanking.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
That cutscene with Damien might be construed as character development (if you're blind and deaf and don't understand how character development works) because Aiden recognized that he was on the edge of doing the same hacking thing as before and didn't do it. Now, if only he wasn't doing the same hacking thing as before on a regular basis, it might have had some weight to it.

Also, man, mario_simplycool is dedicated to his job as mayor.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You can tell that scene with Damien was some exec saying "let's put them in front of that weird chrome thing, the reflections will show off the power of the next-gen systems!"

And then it fell to some poor shlub of a programmer to explain that's a pain in the rear end to render and even the next-gen systems can't do it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

God, I still can't get over the lovely motorcycle sound design. How did no one think to try to fix that?

I liked that cutscene with Damien, surprisingly.

The hatchback sound is way better. I swear it's just a guy making car noises.

link

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 13, 2015

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
I didn't notice it at first, but the symbol on Aiden's hat and on the title screen was actually shaped like a fox's head. I guess that's why they called him that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

slycooper20 posted:

I didn't notice it at first, but the symbol on Aiden's hat and on the title screen was actually shaped like a fox's head. I guess that's why they called him that.

It also has a W in it. For Watch Dogs. W V. Watch Vogs.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Why did that guy go to a rail yard to play his VR game? Rail yards are generally places where you want to be aware of your surroundings.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Why did that guy go to a rail yard to play his VR game? Rail yards are generally places where you want to be aware of your surroundings.

The tetanus and horribly stabbed foot from the rusted nail are part of the VR game experience, obviously.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
I'd assume the changes to the Bean's shape and name were due to the original sculpture being copyrighted, and Ubisoft not wanting to pay the fee to have it in the game.

The phonecall after that cutscene is what I referred to earlier as the inadvertently funniest line in the game. Aiden learned to hack from Damien - in exchange for teaching him interpersonal skills. Not sure which of them got the raw end of that deal.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I think it's weird that the one guy is complaining about being crippled when he's just in a legbrace. I mean, it still sucks but he looked like he could move around pretty well. Also it makes it weirder that he wrote "I suffered too." Invinting comparison between Aiden's dead child-niece to his limp might not work in his favor.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Honestly, all I could think while I watched that scene was "both of you assholes deserve each other."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Aiden's dead daughterniece isn't comparable to his permanent leg damage, but I really do feel a bit bad for Damien. Dude seems desperate and lonely, and it just makes me feel pity for him, not righteous anger or whatever I'm supposed to be feeling.

• Locked thread