Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

e: oops wrong forum...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
A (hopefully) rather straightforward question: One of my dwarfs in a strange mood is demanding cloth, but the only cloth I have in my fortress is in a coffer in the hospital. What do I do to trigger the dwarf to be willing to use this material? It's not as simply un-building the coffer, is it?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I think that the cloth is reserved solely for hospital use as long as one has claimed it; I don't know for SURE, and it may depend on which version you're on, but it may be necessary to undesignate the hospital entirely (and if the dwarf doesn't go for it in an in-game day or two and no other dwarves are hauling it, possibly forbid and unforbid the cloth and give it a few days for any hauling tasks on it to clear and the dude to actually find it).

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

can't you just set the Hospital cloth maximum to 0? that should free all the cloth that was hauled there for use.
note that your moody dwarf might want wool or silk cloth, which plant cloth wouldn't satisfy.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

RattiRatto posted:

A friend asked me to introduce him to DW, however he has no skills with computers. Not at all (other than inserting cd and following instructions). Since he's gonna cry if i try to point it out that everything is on terminal, can anyone point me out a nice graphic version that it's kind of usable without breaking totally the game? (Or something that makes the pill easier to swallow)
I looked into the 3d one (Stonework or something) but i'm afraid that it breaks everything, am I right?

I bet this answer is in some way taboo in the culture of this thread, but there's a YouTuber named PlumpHelmetPunk who can definitely ease him into the the notion of the game. it ain't no tutorial, but Plump always plays with tiles, and has that sort of realtime narration that underscores why the game's so cool. plus he's super mellow and easy to relax to.

I'm sure people have already said it above, but if you google dwarf fortress starter kit (not in quotes because I'm not sure it'll turn up in quotes), you'll get a version of the game with most of the basic mods turned on by default and several different graphic sets available to install a panel or two over. It also comes with Dwarf Therapist to manage job assignments, although that needs to be specifically launched. I've heard the Stonesense UI doesn't work at all well. and the developer doesn't really like that kind of sophisticated backend interface, 'cause if a lot of users start using it he becomes beholden to it, to a point.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I really like the modified windmill villas bedroom layout, but when I designate it all out I just can't reconcile myself with making one of my floors into basically a giant swastika : /

Does anyone have similarly elegant and efficient bedroom layouts that they like that aren't evocative of hate and genocide?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I was gonna say the Greek cross layout, but lately with their right wingers...

(I always use the 48-unit greek cross)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Esme posted:

I really like the modified windmill villas bedroom layout, but when I designate it all out I just can't reconcile myself with making one of my floors into basically a giant swastika : /

Does anyone have similarly elegant and efficient bedroom layouts that they like that aren't evocative of hate and genocide?

yes;

code:
#############
#oo#oo#oo#oo#
#oo#oo#oo#oo#
###D#####D###
#oo#ooooo#oo#
#oo#ooooo#oo#
####oXXXo####
#oo#ooooo#oo#
#oo#ooooo#oo#
###D#####D###
#oo#oo#oo#oo#
#oo#oo#oo#oo#
#############

o = floor
# = wall
D = door
X = up/down stairs

It's a square in the game, comes out rectangular looking on the forums though. But basically this gets you 12 bedrooms that are 2x2 each. I usually do this plan in a 2x2 arrangement so on one floor I'll have 48 rooms. Stairs in the middle make it easy to build this up or down as needed, 3-4 floors of this will usually be enough for most forts. It's not super pretty or whatever but it is efficient - I want the most amount of decent bedrooms in as small a space as possible.

Not as many dwarves per level as the windmill but less distance traveled I think. It's more orderly in any case and you can easily scale it if you need to house a lot of dwarves - just do like 2-4 of those floor plans per level, 4 levels worth should be enough for a decent sized fort.

Hopefully that makes sense, if you want I can take a screenshot of what it looks like in the actual game once I get home from work.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 12, 2015

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I think that the cloth is reserved solely for hospital use as long as one has claimed it; I don't know for SURE, and it may depend on which version you're on, but it may be necessary to undesignate the hospital entirely (and if the dwarf doesn't go for it in an in-game day or two and no other dwarves are hauling it, possibly forbid and unforbid the cloth and give it a few days for any hauling tasks on it to clear and the dude to actually find it).

Excelzior posted:

can't you just set the Hospital cloth maximum to 0? that should free all the cloth that was hauled there for use.
note that your moody dwarf might want wool or silk cloth, which plant cloth wouldn't satisfy.
Thanks everyone. Just setting the cloth maximum to 0 didn't do it, but after I removed the coffer, the dwarf was able to take the cloth.

EDIT:

quote:

Regtesum, "The Gloved Controller", a billon low boot
This is a billon low boot. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with pig tail fiber and encircled with bands of dog leather.
On the item is an image of The Gloved Controller the billon low boot in billon.
On the item is an image of a chestnut in sard.
It's an Escher print in boot form.

Mad Jaqk fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 13, 2015

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
You think that's bad.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

I was gonna say the Greek cross layout, but lately with their right wingers...

(I always use the 48-unit greek cross)

Hah, I should have mentioned that I usually go with some form of Greek cross and was looking for something to change it up. Either way stupid right wingers need to stop tainting all the cool shapes :colbert:

Moridin920 posted:

code:
#############
#oo#oo#oo#oo#
#oo#oo#oo#oo#
###D#####D###
#oo#ooooo#oo#
#oo#ooooo#oo#
####oXXXo####
#oo#ooooo#oo#
#oo#ooooo#oo#
###D#####D###
#oo#oo#oo#oo#
#oo#oo#oo#oo#
#############

Thank you! I was looking for that one but couldn't remember when or where it was posted. I like that it cuts down on doors.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Is the performance still as bad as it was ~6 months ago? Last time I played every fortress ground to a total fps-halt after a year or two.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Game performance has never and probably will never improve.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Captain Mediocre posted:

Is the performance still as bad as it was ~6 months ago? Last time I played every fortress ground to a total fps-halt after a year or two.

Optimizing is something Toady doesn't find fun, so it'll probably never happen. Soon we'll playing where it takes an hour for every tick as the game calculates the blood flow of every entity, the exact amount of said blood, dead skin flaking off bodies, sweat generation, odor generation, nutrition calculation and thats not even getting into calculating the mass of every individual rain drop or step by step falling of leaves from trees or...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Mediocre posted:

They'll grind to an fps death eventually but I am still managing ~30-40fps on a 13 year old fort with 140 dwarves :shrug:

Don't embark in forests.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Leal posted:

Optimizing is something Toady doesn't find fun, so it'll probably never happen. Soon we'll playing where it takes an hour for every tick as the game calculates the blood flow of every entity, the exact amount of said blood, dead skin flaking off bodies, sweat generation, odor generation, nutrition calculation and thats not even getting into calculating the mass of every individual rain drop or step by step falling of leaves from trees or...

Eventually Toady will die of natural causes and the code will be released. Then will come the great civil war as a thousand modders dig in and try to excise the portions that slow down performance while adding nothing "important". There will be blood in the streets.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Nah they'll just add fuckin' to the game.

"Urist Uristrazot has organized an orgy at macadamia wood bed"

nooooo

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm pretty confident that one day our new machine overlords will use DF as the codebase for the Matrix v1.0

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Arrath posted:

I'm pretty confident that one day our new machine overlords will use DF as the codebase for the Matrix v1.0

one theory is that this has already happened before a long time ago, and this would merely be the 2nd iteration

it sure would explain why I need alcohol to get through the working day

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

The biggest slowdown I've noticed is from flying animals - especially keas since they also try to sneak away with things. I ended up just modding out their [flier] tag because they'd slowed my game to 4 fps. Watching them splat to the ground mid-flight was one of the most satisfying things I've seen in a while.

God drat I hate cave adaption. Built a beautiful white dolomite road to my front gate and 2 minutes later the whole thing's brown from vomit :barf:. Aim to the side, Urists!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Excelzior posted:

it sure would explain why I need alcohol to get through the working day.

and why I've complained of the lack of a well lately.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And why I have these adamantine sutures holding an unwashed wound shut while I've been laying on the floor of the local ER for the past 8 months.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

And why I have these adamantine sutures holding an unwashed wound shut while I've been laying on the floor of the local ER for the past 8 months.

No, that's because of Obamacare.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

TildeATH posted:

No, that's because of Obamacare.

Thanks Urist McObama.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Game performance has never and probably will never improve.

This is not true. One of either DF2010 or 2012 included a pretty significant FPS improvement. It's been a while and I don't really remember which, though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

v0.40.05 was the one that included that as a distinct feature. Mainly due to the calendar grinding being just intolerable, even for small worlds.

He'll find the time to kick it in shape if it turns into a (major) problem again.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Keep in mind that Toady plays the game too. The performance will be fixed to the extent that it interferes with him doing that. That's why the fact that it tends to get worse in really old forts is such a big problem; he never plays a fort that long since he's resetting constantly to try out new features as he puts them in, so he never runs into it personally.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Until he sets up an autofort manager and leaves it running while he sleeps.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Getting drunk with a Toady devlog...

Toady One, 06/15/2015 posted:

The syndrome changes are mostly done. We had our first barfights and our first alcohol-related death (aside from whatever fiery shenanigans and so forth you all have been up to for years). There were a lot of things that needed to be altered or improved or fixed to get it to work. Effects are more smeared out and syndromes can be set to add concentration up to a maximum so that multiple drinks matter, for instance. Syndrome effects used to abruptly start and abruptly end (the peak was mostly meaningless), but now you can explicitly set abrupt starts and endings, or have the syndrome gradually grow to the peak and gradually fade. There were issues with impaired function being permanent and with the wound display that I've fixed. Syndromes can now be linked so that all of the alcohols go together (without this, you could drink one mug of each alcohol in the world without having serious trouble).

I wonder if Dwarves will be given syndrome resistance to alcohol or not, or if things just got a lot trickier.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

Getting drunk with a Toady devlog...

I wonder if Dwarves will be given syndrome resistance to alcohol or not, or if things just got a lot trickier.

Probably, they already explicitly have larger livers per body size than humans in the raws.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

LordNagash posted:

Probably, they already explicitly have larger livers per body size than humans in the raws.

Hey, maybe liver size will factor into the inebriation calculations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So it sounds like we will be able to mod in a potion that causes were-transformation syndrome?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

LordNagash posted:

:psydwarf:

It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly detailed this game is.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The raws already have all the work done for female dwarfbeards, but Toady commented them out as an optional feature.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Can caravan dwarves come back to haunt the fortress? Some random ghost without a nickname (I always name my dwarves) just showed up at the front gates and started haunting my farmers. The only explanation I can think of is a caravan guard who accidentally got atom smashed by my bridge - though I never saw a "struck down" notice for anyone.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Esme posted:

Can caravan dwarves come back to haunt the fortress? Some random ghost without a nickname (I always name my dwarves) just showed up at the front gates and started haunting my farmers. The only explanation I can think of is a caravan guard who accidentally got atom smashed by my bridge - though I never saw a "struck down" notice for anyone.

Yeah.

And if no one witnessed it you won't ever get a notice. If they were a member of your fort a couple in game weeks later you'll see 'Urist McGuard has gone missing.' but the cause of death will be 'unknown.'

You should be able to engrave a slab for him. The names of fort dwarves always get sorted first for ease of use purposes, but you can usually find the name of any historical figure (basically anything with a name) that died on your map in that list. Sometimes I'll carve a slab out for some gobbos or beasts to put at my front gate.

If all else fails select the ghost with your cursor and type 'tweak clear-ghostly' in DFHack but I suggest you use that as a last resort.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah.

And if no one witnessed it you won't ever get a notice. If they were a member of your fort a couple in game weeks later you'll see 'Urist McGuard has gone missing.' but the cause of death will be 'unknown.'

You should be able to engrave a slab for him. The names of fort dwarves always get sorted first for ease of use purposes, but you can usually find the name of any historical figure (basically anything with a name) that died on your map in that list. Sometimes I'll carve a slab out for some gobbos or beasts to put at my front gate.

If all else fails select the ghost with your cursor and type 'tweak clear-ghostly' in DFHack but I suggest you use that as a last resort.

Thanks, I engraved him a slab and it turns out it was indeed the bridge. I should probably move that thing back from my trade depot. Oh well, he is at one with chimpanzee leather now :angel:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Uh...devlog?

quote:

I started the game as a hearthperson in a larger town so that there'd be a place to test out making orders at inns. In the keep where I began, there were a few dwarven soldiers... and a 'K'! Killer beetle! No, wait, that's Angband... the Lady ruling the town was a kangaroo woman, and she wanted me to beat some people up for her. You bet, just let me go to the tavern first. Right around the corner we had an establishment. It was called "The Cinnamon Fruit of Mouths" or something. Let's see who thought that name up. Through the doors, we have the tables and barrels... and an 'h'! Homunculus! Do I have sleep resistance? Oh, that's Hack 1.0.3... then I was like, oh, a newer 'h', humanoid... no wait... So I looked at it. "Hare man tavern keeper." Well, good, all the roguelike flashbacks made me thirsty. Barley beer in a mug! I just need to settle up, and I can't do that until it is programmed.

I think the summer sun has made me lose sleep, but the light-blocking apparatus is back in place, so hopefully I'll recover soon.

Say hello to the new laptop. The last one died of some hinge-related illness... I opened it and something caught, which peeled up the front face and made the power cord stop working. This one has sturdy-looking hinges.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kangaroo woman? Hare man? Furries are taking over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dig the animal people, they give the game some extra weirdness to differentiate it from standard fantasy.

It mostly gets funny when it's, like, giant leech men and stuff.