Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

zoux posted:

The governor already slashed spending at select agencies by 4 percent and withdrew funding from the state’s highway system to deal with a shortfall in the current fiscal year.
He's going to learn an eternal truth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I can't wait for all of the other no-water states to start running out (some probably are) and inevitably avoid doing anything about it until it is too late to save the state from dehydration death. Really, I would like the water problems to be properly dealt with, but I know that ain't happening.

All of the other "no water states" aren't the nation's breadbasket. If the rest of the country weren't sucking California's soil dry with their insatiable need for the freshest and most delicious tomatoes, avocados, almonds, and more, there would be no California water crisis.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

All of the other "no water states" aren't the nation's breadbasket. If the rest of the country weren't sucking California's soil dry with their insatiable need for the freshest and most delicious tomatoes, avocados, almonds, and more, there would be no California water crisis.

Arizona though... That can wither, die, and return to the desert.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Radbot posted:

Those are some drat good avocados though. Water's overrated, right?

Edit: Oh yeah, just take Arizona's water, no big

Edit 2vvv: what, did you think I meant leave some water for Arizona???

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 13, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Those are some drat good avocados though. Water's overrated, right?

Edit: Oh yeah, just take Arizona's water, no big

California already takes Arizona's, Utah's, Nevada's, Oregon's, Colorado's and Mexico's water. I mean, they can take more...:getin:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

The rest of the country doesn't care if they need to import all that stuff from Argentina or whatever. You grossly overestimate Californian agriculture's importance to anywhere that isn't California, frankly.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

The rest of the country doesn't care if they need to import all that stuff from Argentina or whatever. You grossly overestimate Californian agriculture's importance to anywhere that isn't California, frankly.

California produces 99% of the US's: Almonds, Artichokes, Dates, Figs, Raisins, Kiwifruit, Olives, Clingstone Peaches, Pistachios, Dried Plums, Pomegranates, Sweet Rice, Ladino Clover Seed (?), and Walnuts. Along with being a large producer of a ton of other things (http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/Statistics/PDFs/ResourceDirectory_2013-2014.pdf).

:palmon:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
California wine sucks. Yeah I said it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

California produces 99% of the US's: Almonds, Artichokes, Dates, Figs, Raisins, Kiwifruit, Olives, Clingstone Peaches, Pistachios, Dried Plums, Pomegranates, Sweet Rice, Ladino Clover Seed (?), and Walnuts. Along with being a large producer of a ton of other things (http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/Statistics/P...y_2013-2014.pdf).

And? Like for all those things there's foreign imports sitting in the nearest grocery store right now, except maybe that specific variety of peach.

If California wasted a billion less gallons on almonds and walnuts for a while America could certainly manage.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trabisnikof posted:

California produces 99% of the US's: Almonds, Artichokes, Dates, Figs, Raisins, Kiwifruit, Olives, Clingstone Peaches, Pistachios, Dried Plums, Pomegranates, Sweet Rice, Ladino Clover Seed (?), and Walnuts. Along with being a large producer of a ton of other things (http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/Statistics/PDFs/ResourceDirectory_2013-2014.pdf).

We can just supplant that 99% with shipments from Central and South America through transportation infrastructure that is woefully unready to handle such an increase, or whatever.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Or a huge worker base in a state that's basically a guarantee 1/5 of electoral votes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FAUXTON posted:

We can just supplant that 99% with shipments from Central and South America through transportation infrastructure that is woefully unready to handle such an increase, or whatever.

Oh no we'll have slightly less of on the whole rather niche foodstuffs for a few months. :ohdear:

Here's an example:
As of 2013, the artichoke crop for the whole US was worth $57.6 million. We imported, however, $129 million of fresh and prepared artichokes from various countries.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

California wine sucks. Yeah I said it.

It is like drops of heaven if you've attempted to drink the wine that comes out of the Midwest. It is like drinking the black and white version of wine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Raisins, olives, and nuts: Niche foodstuffs.

Also leave it to fishmech to just bury the fact that the imported food is specialized poo poo like canned marinated artichoke hearts so that his bankrupt-rear end line of argument doesn't get immediately lit up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FAUXTON posted:

Also leave it to fishmech to just bury the fact that the imported food is specialized poo poo like canned marinated artichoke hearts so that his bankrupt-rear end line of argument doesn't get immediately lit up.

Tons of California's output is also processes, genius.

Also yes in general no one's absolute reliant on raisins and two kinds of nuts. Many people barely eat any.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Barudak posted:

It is like drops of heaven if you've attempted to drink the wine that comes out of the Midwest. It is like drinking the black and white version of wine.

Oregon wine baby. Walla Walla Washington, too. Then there's wine in Idaho too.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Arizona is actually decently prepared long term for water use due to run off from snow melt in the mountains.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Fairly certain most Americans don't know what an artichoke even looks like, let alone notice a rise in their price

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

born on a buy you posted:

Arizona is actually decently prepared long term for water use due to run off from snow melt in the mountains.

Just like California!

Until it stopped snowing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Fairly certain most Americans don't know what an artichoke even looks like, let alone notice a rise in their price

I once considered buying one, looked up the steps involved in accessing the parts you actually eat, and just bought a jar of artichoke hearts instead. poo poo's a pain.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thank goodness there's room for more corn, soy and potatoes in the American diet.

Pope Guilty posted:

I once considered buying one, looked up the steps involved in accessing the parts you actually eat, and just bought a jar of artichoke hearts instead. poo poo's a pain.

This is getting pretty foodchatty, but I just boil them and then eat the tasty part of the leaves with sour cream and lemon. Then once you get to the heart a butter knife makes quick work of cutting the hairs off. Its really pretty easy.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Trabisnikof posted:

Just like California!

Until it stopped snowing.

Arizona has actually seen an increase in snow as weather patterns change.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm seeing it diverging from expected average over time. Legit or nah?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

I thought there was a ban on exporting US domestic oil to other countries. I keep seeing editorials on how the domestic export ban is "crippling the oil industry" or some such claim...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't know poo poo about anything else, but walnut trees are ubiquitous from East Texas to the Carolinas. 99%?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Aliquid posted:

I don't know poo poo about anything else, but walnut trees are ubiquitous from East Texas to the Carolinas. 99%?

And wouldn't you guess it, every walnut tree in America grows the same type of walnut!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Aliquid posted:

This figure is basically everywhere, though I can't find the original source. Pretty sure California does produce almost all of our walnuts

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Four Corners is as green as ever, with flooding in Colorado and New Mexico.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Oregon wine baby. Walla Walla Washington, too. Then there's wine in Idaho too.

Ice wine, best wine.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mitt's spent the last couple of years in his basement, pushing toy soldiers around.

quote:

The presentation hinted at the kind of president Romney would have been — technocratic and hawkish. At one point, he showed how he would have reorganized the State Department bureaucracy by dividing the map into color-coded regions to exert soft power, much the way military commanders do at the Pentagon.

It also underscored his continued and keen interest in global affairs during his political winter. After critiquing Obama, Romney laid out a plan for getting the United States on what he called “the right course.”

“Strengthen, organize and strategize,” Romney said. “By the way, that’s S.O.S., and we do need help.”

Romney’s blame was not directed solely at Obama. He called former president George W. Bush’s 2003 invasion of Iraq “a mistake.”

“I certainly supported it at the time, but today, given what we know, it was a mistake,” Romney said.

Romney reserved particular ire for Russian President Vladimir Putin. In the 2012 campaign, he was mocked for saying Russia was “our number-one geopolitical foe,” although many GOP analysts now say he has been proven prescient by Putin’s aggression in Ukraine.

With a slide titled, “What’s Putin’s strategy?” Romney deplored the reach of Putin’s propaganda. “Russia TV,” he said. “I mean, I turn on my TV here — and there’s RT!”

After Romney finished his speech to respectful applause, loyalists whispered that he could be positioning to be secretary of state in the next Republican administration.

Also shows that Romney really did think he could run the country like a corporation, with staff reorganizations spelled out in PowerPoint decks, and pithy mission statements to guide the bureaucracy.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Joementum posted:

Mitt's spent the last couple of years in his basement, pushing toy soldiers around.

Also shows that Romney really did think he could run the country like a corporation, with staff reorganizations spelled out in PowerPoint decks, and pithy mission statements to guide the bureaucracy.

Good to know that :mitt: has been doing something productive with his time like playing warhammer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Klaus88 posted:

Good to know that :mitt: has been doing something productive with his time like playing warhammer.

We have to stop the Alien heretics....I mean, democrats.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FAUXTON posted:

Sorry but fishmech's correct. California is not a significant staple producer. Reducing California's agricultural output to match its actual water supply means that some people bitch about the price of almonds for a while and then we go back to how we lived before WWII: exotic fruits and nuts are a luxury, vegetables are supplied locally and seasonally. It's really better that we go that way anyway for sustainability purposes.

And the sooner the almond milk fad goes away the better.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

The leaked transition PDF from his campaign was the craziest loving corporate thing. I imagine he'd bump the number of meetings 500%, too.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Joementum posted:

And like most CEO types he has an over-inflated sense of importance and a significant overestimation of his own personal abilities. I don't understand why anybody would care what Romney has to say about foreign policy. I guess as the host of the shindig, though, people have to put up with his bullshit if they want to get access to the donor meetings also taking place.

He feels kind of like he would have been a political appointee of an administration in a bygone era, but his own personal wealth and modern day politics being what it is, he feels entitled to running the entire show. It really feels like he's not suited to modern campaigning, though, and it seems like he's annoyed that he has to actually campaign at all.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 13, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

He also apparently thinks that the Ukranian conflict is America's top geopolitical priority.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Joementum posted:

So it's bad enough that the US is already a country that doesn't believe in diplomacy and has made the State Department secondary to the Defense Department but Romney wanted to run State like Defense and thought that bringing back Rumsfeld's style of corporate governance was going to work this time? Jesus Christ.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stultus Maximus posted:

He also apparently thinks that the Ukranian conflict is America's top geopolitical priority.

It is so he doesn't have to think about his 2012 'arm the Syrian Rebels' policy

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's been fantastically successful so I know it will never happen but if I could wave a magic wand I'd make this "run the government like a corporation" idea repulsive to the majority of the country. I don't want government to have extracting as much wealth as possible, by any means possible, before the end of the next quarter and forget about the effects as its goal. I like a government that governs thank you, and that does not always mean maximum monetary profit right this minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

KomradeX posted:

So it's bad enough that the US is already a country that doesn't believe in diplomacy and has made the State Department secondary to the Defense Department but Romney wanted to run State like Defense and thought that bringing back Rumsfeld's style of corporate governance was going to work this time? Jesus Christ.

I thought this was just China's thing regarding State.

• Locked thread