Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Teepo and especially Elize had incredibly shrill, unenjoyable voice acting, though. And I say this as someone deep into the anime swamp who has played lots of atelier games.

Yeah basically this. I don't hate cute things, I'm not a monster jeez.

I just hate high pitched shrill and unejoyable voice acting.

Cake Attack posted:

anime isn't a swamp, it's a crystal clear lake on a warm summer's day

ty

there's still mud at the bottom of that lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Leper Residue posted:

there's still mud at the bottom of that lake.

And corpses.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

I just hate high pitched shrill and unejoyable voice acting.
so what was your problem with the best characters in any video game ever made

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Going thorugh Phantasy Star 1 right now, and It's an interesting experience, but not in a bad way.

*The game is an equipment-focused game, where what makes or breaks you is your gear, not your actual levels. Levels only seem to be useful for boosting HP and learing new magic.

*I kinda like how the game front-loads all of the grinding at the start of the game by making you grind for money instead of XP so you can get all of the awesome gear in the starting areas, then gives you Fishmen to grind on just past the starting area. It's annoying at first, but it makes going thorugh the game a bit more enjoyable than other games from the era, since you don't need to spend two or so hours grinding everytime you

*The only thing that really bugs me is how slow battles are, espeically when facing a lot of an enemy type. The animations are cool in some cases, but having to go thorugh the same long animation 5 times in a row is rally obnoxious. Fast-forwarding makes it so much easier to deal with.

*Odin is...weird. He seems like the brawn of the team, but he's actually weaker than Alis in attack and his defense is slightly lower than Alis'. He either plays second-fiddle to Alis or slowly chips off enemy HP with guns while Alis and Myeu tear through them (with Noah standing around, doing nothing except be a bad meat shield :v:).

*it's stupid how, at times, you have to advance the plot by talking to a character multiple times without any idea that you should do so. Dr. Lunveno is an example of this; I only saved him because I knew that game occasionally pulls that trick, so I went to talk to him again.

*It does a good job at telling you where to go for an 80s RPG, at least so far.

It's a fun little game and is a huge improvement over games like the early Dragon Quests and Final Fantasies.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

closeted republican posted:

*Odin is...weird. He seems like the brawn of the team, but he's actually weaker than Alis in attack and his defense is slightly lower than Alis'. He either plays second-fiddle to Alis or slowly chips off enemy HP with guns while Alis and Myeu tear through them (with Noah standing around, doing nothing except be a bad meat shield :v:).

I might be confusing him with Rudo from Phantasy Star II, but I think Odin's gimmick is that his attacks ignore enemy defense and/or have higher accuracy. There's some late-game bosses that evade drat near every attack from Alis and Myau, and Odin is pretty much the only person who consistently hits them.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Codiekitty posted:

I might be confusing him with Rudo from Phantasy Star II, but I think Odin's gimmick is that his attacks ignore enemy defense and/or have higher accuracy. There's some late-game bosses that evade drat near every attack from Alis and Myau, and Odin is pretty much the only person who consistently hits them.

I'm getting the feeling that's what he's supposed to be, but it's not evident at first because the game presents him as the stereotypical power character in the team.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Going thorugh Phantasy Star 1 right now, and It's an interesting experience, but not in a bad way.

*The game is an equipment-focused game, where what makes or breaks you is your gear, not your actual levels. Levels only seem to be useful for boosting HP and learing new magic.

*I kinda like how the game front-loads all of the grinding at the start of the game by making you grind for money instead of XP so you can get all of the awesome gear in the starting areas, then gives you Fishmen to grind on just past the starting area. It's annoying at first, but it makes going thorugh the game a bit more enjoyable than other games from the era, since you don't need to spend two or so hours grinding everytime you

*The only thing that really bugs me is how slow battles are, espeically when facing a lot of an enemy type. The animations are cool in some cases, but having to go thorugh the same long animation 5 times in a row is rally obnoxious. Fast-forwarding makes it so much easier to deal with.

*it's stupid how, at times, you have to advance the plot by talking to a character multiple times without any idea that you should do so. Dr. Lunveno is an example of this; I only saved him because I knew that game occasionally pulls that trick, so I went to talk to him again.

It's a fun little game and is a huge improvement over games like the early Dragon Quests and Final Fantasies.

Phantasy Star was pretty neat because it's obvious they got their inspiration from PC RPGs and they did a much better job at it than the first Dragon Quest. It's definitely a staple of the old PC games that equipment is everything and all the difficulty is front loaded until you get the thousands of gold necessary to buy the best equipment which is often available in the first town.

I wish they kept the Ultima-style top-down town to first person dungeon style with the sequels.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 13, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Whatever you might say about Elize, at least she is nowhere near as bad a character as Anise from Tales of the Abyss.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Operation Abyss; game good, paper dolls so bad.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

You do get some boosts to attack and defence with levels as well, but yeah, your equipment matters a lot. There isn't a strict progression where each town you run into sells better stuff than the last, either: if you manage to get a shitload of money early on somehow, you can buy the best purchasable piece of armour in the game before you even have your fourth party member.

quote:

I preferred the Were Bats in that forest you need the compass to enter for early-game grinding. They're slightly tougher than Fishmen but they drop much more cash, which as you've noticed is very useful to have.

quote:

I usually kept him equipped with a gun, since they hit all enemies for fixed damage: they can't miss and ignore both his attack power and the enemy's defence. They're good against both large groups and single high-defence enemies, both of which you'll see a lot of later in the game.

Alis is the unquestioned best defensive tank, though: she ends up with the highest HP and defence in the party by a significant margin. Once you've got all of her best equipment it's hard to get her killed without actively trying, which is handy since she's the one who knows the spell for escaping from battles if things go bad.

Noah... well, he's good at killing bosses since attack magic ignores defence just like guns do, except that this isn't the kind of game that has very many bosses in it. He learns some good healing and utility magic, though.

quote:

If you've already met Dr. Luveno, you're nearly at the point in the game where it opens up and you can just explore all three planets and do whatever you like in whatever order you like (barring a few places where you need one item in order to acquire another item). Have fun!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Million Ghosts posted:

Operation Abyss; game good, paper dolls so bad.

Ya go basic mode instead for the portraits. The paper dolls are kind of garbo IMO

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Also grab the free portrait DLC first and the .99c swim team DLC if you're gross and weird (you are)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Does the Bye spell in Phantasy Star 1 always work, or are there some enemies you can never escape from using it? I read that the Wand casts Bye when you use it in battle, and I was thinking that using it would be a great way to conserve HP and MP when going for Lassic.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Since the thread is coming around to Xillia talk again, I was just curious about Volt in 2. Why is he such a big deal for a boss relatively early in the game? Half of his attacks will utterly decimate groups (including that drat one where he goes up high in the air and slams down several times, before you have a chance to block it), he has two helpers at the start and more will come in, Jude can't do anything to him pretty much without an opening (speaking of Jude, Snap Pivot is still the best), and he casts very, very quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if I tried to beat him on Hard at least 40 times. Seems like the kind of boss who should be much later in the game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Does the Bye spell in Phantasy Star 1 always work, or are there some enemies you can never escape from using it? I read that the Wand casts Bye when you use it in battle, and I was thinking that using it would be a great way to conserve HP and MP when going for Lassic.

It always works as long as you have somewhere to retreat to. If you're in a dungeon with a door, stairs or a dead end directly behind you, I'm pretty sure it'll fail. So if you're attacked right after going through a door, you'll just have to fight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sylphid posted:

Since the thread is coming around to Xillia talk again, I was just curious about Volt in 2. Why is he such a big deal for a boss relatively early in the game? Half of his attacks will utterly decimate groups (including that drat one where he goes up high in the air and slams down several times, before you have a chance to block it), he has two helpers at the start and more will come in, Jude can't do anything to him pretty much without an opening (speaking of Jude, Snap Pivot is still the best), and he casts very, very quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if I tried to beat him on Hard at least 40 times. Seems like the kind of boss who should be much later in the game.
I think they mostly just copy/pasted his fight from Xillia 1, and in that game he was one of the very last bosses in the game. Obviously they retuned the numbers, but I don't think they changed anything about the encounter itself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sylphid posted:

He's basically there as a tutorial for guns IIRC.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Cthulhu Saves the World is 44 cents on Steam and everyone who hasn't bought it totally should. The game's worth more than that just for the soundtrack.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Any modern dungeon crawlers that are more akin to Arcana than Wizardry that I might have missed?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Any modern dungeon crawlers that are more akin to Arcana than Wizardry that I might have missed?

You referring to the SNES game?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
ya like a card game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

He's basically there as a tutorial for guns IIRC.

Also you probably shouldn't choose the path that goes to him first since you'll have less levels.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Well, live and learn. I knew about all the enemies in that fight being weak to guns, but a boss that powerful still should be saved until quite a bit later in the game. After I barely managed to win, I thought I must have been doing something wrong, like there was a gimmick that would make the fight easier.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Fired up SanctuaryRPG (the freeware version) last night, have died so far in many ways to potatoes.

Hopefully I can do a successful playthrough soon, I want to grab the updated "Black Edition" during Steam sales.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is Witcher 3 on anyone's all time top 5 lists?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Not the gameplay side of it

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
My top 10 favorite games are just The Witcher 3 over and over.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Million Ghosts posted:

Not the gameplay side of it

Yea I keep stalling because the gameplay is so bad. I am still in Skellige

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ive got a 3ds, suggest rpgs that arent bravely default pls

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SMT 4

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm getting pretty fed up with the rare mobs on Last Remnant. Are there any console commands I can use to force them to spawn?

corn in the bible posted:

pokemon

devil survivor if you're into those, i wasn't

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 15, 2015

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Etrian Odyssey 4 and Untold 1+2

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

if you pay attention to tales of xillia 1 & 2 it's actually about elize being a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone

Ill die of old age long before i ever pay attention to tales of xillia 1 or 2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ruggington posted:

Etrian Odyssey 4 and Untold 1+2

is untold better or worse than 1

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Better in most ways, a little worse in some. The Grimiore system sucks rear end but otherwise it's better overall. The story mode is eh but is also optional.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If you play Classic mode it's 1 but with most of the QOL stuff they added across the rest of the series (lower level cost for resting, etc.) and some skills being fixed so they aren't either broken or not functional like in the original. You also get Ronin and Hexer from the beginning.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

devil survivor it has the stupidity you need

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I'm getting pretty fed up with the rare mobs on Last Remnant. Are there any console commands I can use to force them to spawn?

pokemon

devil survivor if you're into those, i wasn't

Which rare mobs?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Pretty much anything that I can't spot easily from the entrance :v:

Rockbiter was what was giving me trouble this time, but it wasn't the first and it won't be the last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rascyc posted:

devil survivor it has the stupidity you need

i saw the ds2 remake was out but its also 50 dollars lol