Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Hmmmm

When I took the first option, my union with Holland broke but it didn't mention that as an effect, it was just replacing my monarch. The second option was some kind of bribe to myself?? (I am Burgundy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It's just a chair, let him have it.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
So either theirs something wrong with diplo-annexation costs or the theirs some penalty the tool tip is mentioning because twice now the game has made me pay 10 Diplo power per development instead of 10 in order to annex one of my vessels. Both times it was right after I fed them some land so unless that adds a penalty to diplo-annexing the game isn't telling me about something weird is going on.

Edit: When I look in the ledger Ferrara is 65 development, but when I go to annex them it says their 81 development. Making me pay 648 diplo points, or pretty much exactly 10 per base development .

Edit part 2: Figured it out Its the +25% coring cost from Italian Ideas, they really need to fix the tool tip to show +Corring cost instead of lying about the development level, It use to do the same thing with base tax.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 13, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I'm considering playing a One or Two province minor, but anytime i've played one in Europe (mainly HRE, in Germany) i've been stomped and my armies rapidly defeated, Any general advice/tips? Also how are you supposed to declare war in the HRE without dragging the emperor into it?

I don't tend to like playing in north Germany, so my advice is gonna be more southern Germany and Central Europe. If you are choosing to be more northern, then substitute this advice for "Ally Brandenburg, wait for them to war with a neighbour on the enemy side and then separate peace who they piss on and take a province." It happens every time in my experience. Repair those relations though, Brandenburg is a good ally if you can keep them in check (which is easy to do).

Wait for Austria, who will probably be the emperor at the time, to get into a slapfight with Burgundy (and probably Aragon), or France. They will quickly run out of enthusiasm for war and then strike. People always suggest allying the emperor, I think this is eh advice honestly. Unless you savescum to get a diprep advisor from the start which you can afford, Austria will probably not be interested in your one province rear end as an ally (yet). The army strength modifier will be pretty big against you, and you are unlikely to be able to have common rivals. Instead, consider allying other powers that are local. The Palatinate is a good one, as is Cologne, Switzerland, or if you can swing it, Bohemia. I prefer to call them Brohemia, they are a drat good ally if you can get them and worth trying for as soon as you can. They don't call you into defensive wars often because the AI avoids them like the plague due to their increased coring cost. They are only a mid level power too, so they won't be dragging you onto death marches into France or against the Ottoman like Austria would, and until the Commonwealth forms they will do a pretty solid job of beating back Poland on their own too. However, if they manage to become emperor, drop them like a sack of bricks.

Target another small neighbouring nation. For example, Ulm and Frankfurt in particular are located in very balkanised lands, where there are a lot of minor powers. If you choose one of those (and why wouldn't you, since you will spend about 10-15 years at least as an OPM, may as well reap that development discount) you will be in a good position to annex a neighbour and should be able to swing enough of a coalition of local allies. Make sure you have your claims ready well in advance too, because you might get called into an allies war which gives you a chance to strike. If possible, make it so that your war involves two nations that border one another, preferably ones which you can fabricate on to reduce AE. Annex them both over the war, and then release one of them as a vassal. Perhaps do that in a direction you do not intend to expand into for a long time, so you can consider making them a march. When looking for smaller powers to ally or to take as that vassal, look for theocracies, because Divine Ideas give +15% manpower recovery speed as a tradition, and +5% discipline as the first idea. A good thing for an ally or vassal to have so early in the game.

You really should start as a free city now for an OPM start in the HRE, or if you are not one and get given the offer, should take it. The development discount is really nice, because it stacks with the capital holding discount. You won't be doing a lot of coring and since ideas got moved back one level, you will have a lot of admin lying around as an OPM. You should invest a lot of your early admin into basetax while you get a discount, and then take advantage of the behind time tech discount and get Admin Tech 5 discount. Wait on investing manpower until after tech 4 though, because that morale is big early game, then sink it all in while you are still getting that development discount. If you get called into war early, you want to have that just to get an edge. As an OPM though you really have a good 10-15 years where you can really grow tall quickly and get yourself into a very good position from the start.

By the way, I really recommend to anyone to give free cities a good shot. I actually had a really good run two days ago where I stayed as an OPM Frankfurt until the mid 1600s before I got called into three wars at once because Brandenburg managed to look weak and got declared on by three minor powers, who all had huge alliances. It was going well, but I forgot to transfer a siege over and Brandenburg decided to say "Thanks buddy!" to me and gave me land I didn't want. Even as an OPM, I had a hell of a lot of power. I had a forcelimit of 22 (I took quant, which might explain some of that), three level 1 advisers, was permanently ahead on tech, a march in Mainz who I had give all of the provinces surrounding me to, fortified on my dime. I was always making a few ducats as well. I think I probably had the most developed province in the game by 1500, as upgrades were starting to cost around 180 monarch points after all of my discounts. After the first 20 years where I was getting ready, I spent the whole time above 60 power projection. It was a really good chill game.

Development is probably the best thing that was ever done to EUIV in my opinion. It adds a lot more depth in my eyes. If there is only one thing I might request from Paradox to improve it, it would be the option to also be able to develop provinces in vassal holdings. I was having a hell of a time waiting for Mainz to upgrade a province to 20 levels so I could build them a fort there, and to also bump their forcelimit and income up a bit. If forts work like I think they do, a nation needs a certain income to have them activated, and my idea of "donut hole yourself in a march" doesn't work too well when your vassal turns off one fort because they are being cheap. Being able to give them some more basetax or manpower as their overlord, kindly suggesting how they should improve their holdings, would be great, especially with marches in strategic areas. If you could do that as an overlord, it would be great. It would need to come with a little cost though, naturally. For example, a +5% monarch point increase as it is not your land, and some gold to grease the wheels of uppity local nobles who might not like you dictating how they use their land.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 13, 2015

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Funky Valentine posted:

Turns out that the Teutonic Order is perfectly set up for a trade game. It would be absurdly powerful if it were possible to go from Monastic Order to Merchant Republic.

Danzig is literally built out of money.

Where do you run your trade routes for that? There isn't much that goes into the Baltic Sea without conquering vast swathes of land, in which case it's not really much of a trade game any more.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I've come across something that seems like a bug but might just be something that I don't understand. As Milan, I got this event where I could get a new cardinal at the cost of an opinion hit, (-25 Pope's Nephew). Thing is, its been a pretty long time since this happened and yet I am still getting the opinion hit with the countries around me. Is this a bug or is there something that I have to do here?

ghost city
Nov 10, 2012

Drone posted:

I guess it could be, it's the English Civil War disaster. So timeline-wise it'd be about spot on.

gently caress, not a bug then I guess.

Sounds like Paradox trying to model the Personal Rule which is pretty cool (even if the Personal Rule only lasted a year longer than the mandatory time in between debates in EUIV!).

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
I've just bought CS and I have an understanding of most of the added concepts except development. How do provinces increase development say from 10 to 20? And is this affected by spending points to increase the raising of provinces from say 4dip to 5dip or whatever?

reL
May 20, 2007

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What's a good country for someone trying to get back into the game but who doesn't want to play one of the "Newbie" nations, like ottomans, england, castille, or austria?

Ottomans were easymode and I haven't played since before Art of War.

Just watch your overextension because, goddamnit. :downsowned:

I got cocky en route to the "core all of India" achievement and forgot to pay attention to what my OE was at... those revolts have all happened in <6 months. There goes all those hours

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
^^ Use timg instead img tags, dude

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

I've just bought CS and I have an understanding of most of the added concepts except development. How do provinces increase development say from 10 to 20? And is this affected by spending points to increase the raising of provinces from say 4dip to 5dip or whatever?

Development is the sum total of base tax (adm), production (dip) and manpower (mil). Increasing them by spending points will raise the overall development, yes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone should make a map font mod that is black with white outline instead. Like HoI4 has.

Does anyone know if you lose Free City status if you have vassals, but just one home province? Because vassals lose the base 6 force limit you can be an OPM with a several province vassal fairly easy I've found.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Free cities can have vassals.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
How do i destroy a fort, and do you recommend doing it if it is in the middle of your nation (with only primary religion and culture provinces surrounding it)? Will mothballing half the cost?

Also, any particular reason i should culture shift to Greek as the Ottomans other than as a gimmick?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Playing Frankfurt is ridiculous because they are a Farmlands province. I have like 6 building slots. Also the province itself is so tiny that the city sprawl is almost outside the borders.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Back To 99 posted:

How do i destroy a fort, and do you recommend doing it if it is in the middle of your nation (with only primary religion and culture provinces surrounding it)? Will mothballing half the cost?

Also, any particular reason i should culture shift to Greek as the Ottomans other than as a gimmick?

You go to the buildings tab in the province and hit the x on the fort. It's probably good to keep one or two mothballed forts in your heartland just in case. It does half the cost. Even if it is your religion and culture rebels can still spawn there by event.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
1) Has anyone found a general rule of thumb on when to add development to a province? Not buildings, but adding tax, production, or manpower. As Switzerland, I just feel like I don't ever want to do that. I want to spend it on coring, ideas, or tech, like usual.

2) Is there a way to avoid having the emperor demand you return unlawful territory? I know if you're still at war, he can't do it. Is it affected by opinion, alliances, or something else?

3) France has become a major bitch in this game. They got coalitioned, and had to release 3 nations and give a couple provinces away to Brittany. Western Europe is so different with this patch.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I ended up doing pretty well as the teutonic order, though my game was hosed as soon as I hit the button to change to Prussia. My kingdom was immediately taken out of the HRE and I was pretty much hosed for expansion.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever had their Caribbean CN actually use their colonists to colonize more of the islands?

Also the bigger you get the more unbalanced/useless the English Parliament becomes, yes I'll bribe 20 loving seats to gain 2x 1 base production.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Node posted:

1) Has anyone found a general rule of thumb on when to add development to a province? Not buildings, but adding tax, production, or manpower. As Switzerland, I just feel like I don't ever want to do that. I want to spend it on coring, ideas, or tech, like usual.

2) Is there a way to avoid having the emperor demand you return unlawful territory? I know if you're still at war, he can't do it. Is it affected by opinion, alliances, or something else?

3) France has become a major bitch in this game. They got coalitioned, and had to release 3 nations and give a couple provinces away to Brittany. Western Europe is so different with this patch.

1) I generally only increase development under two circumstances: if I'm capped on monarch points, or if I have a gold province. 1 production development is +1/2 ducat a month on gold provinces.

2) They won't demand from their allies or if they're in a war. Pretty sure that's it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The ultimate buffer state

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Node posted:

In my current GB game, I only really invest MP into upgrading development back in Britain when I have it spare. Next tech level at +60% research time because I'm ahead? No ideas to spend points on? Drop some MP into development points.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

reL posted:

Ottomans were easymode and I haven't played since before Art of War.

Just watch your overextension because, goddamnit. :downsowned:

I got cocky en route to the "core all of India" achievement and forgot to pay attention to what my OE was at... those revolts have all happened in <6 months. There goes all those hours

Which mod is this again? I didn't see it in the OP.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Anyone having significantly longer save times with the hotfix? It takes me seven seconds to save every month and it's driving me nuts since a month takes eight seconds; I'm playing on a local save, so it shouldn't be nearly this long.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

SkySteak posted:

So I was looking at Common Sense and I was seeing a lot of reviews saying that either the AI hasn't adjusted to the new systems put in place, that coring/diplo annex costs are extremely high and that there are ton of bugs. Would it be better just to hold off on this until they patch it because it sounds like a bit of a broken mess right now.

The AI is really, really bad with the new system right now. Here is an example:

Pictured in the province buildings window are the army and navy forcelimit buildings. I'm not nitpicking and this is not an exception, the majority of the buildings in the world are forcelimit buildings. Then look to the right where my mouse is highlighting and observe the tier 3 fort. So in addition to what I said before:

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I feel like non european nations really get the shaft with building slots and income. First they have less monarch points to spend on development because of their tech group. Then their provinces usually start off with less than 10 dev levels. And then their terrain usually has some kind development malus. All these add up to piss poor provinces even in the 17th century. And the final kicker? The AI usually fills their precious single building slot with forcelimit buildings.

The AI wastes their very limited income on upgrading forts which increases their expenses (tier1 fort has a 1.00/month expense, tier2 2.00/month, tier3 3.00/month etc, and divide the cost by half when mothballed). So with their bad income I doubt they are affording very good advisors which further compounds on their lack of monarch points.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Btw I checked and trade power actually increased by .40 per development, it doesn't matter what type of development it is.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Is it a bug that I'm not getting any Patriarch Authority popups as Moscow?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
The increased MP point costs for a lot of things is making the 'bad ruler stats dice-roll' even more painful. In my current Ottomans game, I keep rolling rulers with really good military skill but terrible administrative skill (often 0 or 1). So I'm super far ahead in military technology, which is nice, but I have a hard time using that awesome military to expand since I can hardly afford to core anything.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

BgRdMchne posted:

Is it a bug that I'm not getting any Patriarch Authority popups as Moscow?

Yeah they seem pretty rare. In about ~200 years playing as Muscovy/Russia I've gotten two chances to raise PA, and that's with Religious as my third idea.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Zurai posted:

1) I generally only increase development under two circumstances: if I'm capped on monarch points, or if I have a gold province. 1 production development is +1/2 ducat a month on gold provinces.

2) They won't demand from their allies or if they're in a war. Pretty sure that's it.

The emperor can't demand territory if they're at war? I swear they were in one, but did it anyway. Interesting.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

The emperor can't demand province from someone in a war. Whether or not the emperor is in a war doesn't matter anymore.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Zurai posted:

quote:

- The Emperor can now demand unlawful territory while at war, as long as they're not at war with the country they're demanding it from.

e: Oh while they (as in the the country the emperor demands the province from) are at war. Then yes thats correct.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 13, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

reL posted:

Just accept demands or return cores to get rid of the highest OE provinces you have, till you get below 100%. It shouldn't be a run ender.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Eh, EUIV keeps instant closing when I launch it under Windows 10. Anyone else get this? Verified the cache and it's fine.

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

I didn't know the ottomans could join the catholic league as a sunni country, it certainly makes winning the religion war way more difficult. The other guys make sense because they are all catholic, including great britain.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Any nation in Europe (I think it's limited to European nations, anyway) can join either League. The Ottomans historically were in the Protestant League (at least as far as the real world replicates game mechanics) because they wanted to check Austria's power.

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

Zurai posted:

Any nation in Europe (I think it's limited to European nations, anyway) can join either League. The Ottomans historically were in the Protestant League (at least as far as the real world replicates game mechanics) because they wanted to check Austria's power.
Shows how much I know about history that I thought it was a bug. Thanks.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zurai posted:

How do you join a League again? I wanted to get involved as the Ottomans in a previous game but couldn't figure it out...

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

ulmont posted:

How do you join a League again? I wanted to get involved as the Ottomans in a previous game but couldn't figure it out...

Click on the cross at the top of the league you want to join.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Are rebels really supposed to siege and give separatism/religious unrest in 1 siege cycle in forts Zone of Control provinces? Cause if so, that's really, really dumb - even having one army in the area I can only take care of one rebel army before they siege down, if 2-3 spawn you're getting the penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

canepazzo posted:

Are rebels really supposed to siege and give separatism/religious unrest in 1 siege cycle in forts Zone of Control provinces? Cause if so, that's really, really dumb - even having one army in the area I can only take care of one rebel army before they siege down, if 2-3 spawn you're getting the penalties.

Yeah, I noticed this as well. It should now require the fort falling which would give the entire zone separatism.

• Locked thread