Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Got a volunteer for the time being. Thanks for the PMs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

How are people supposed to get to Pinkney's crypt in the first place?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Technowolf posted:

Doesn't everyone have a billion dollar glider cape? :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Technowolf posted:

If I want to be charitable, the idea is that the normal access was in a building that sank into the ground like a lot of Old Gotham. The reality is that they probably forgot to include a place for it, or (based on the assets used, especially the door) were originally going to have it be in the church, but were unable to make that work.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Up, up, and away!

Thanks for showing off this game. I'll probably play Asylum and City someday even if I'm awful at them, but I don't think I'd get to this game.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

The best part without a doubt is just Batman's tired "No."

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Vox was right, the first Pinkney page you picked up was 7. I remember him mentioning the birthday party when you let the audio run in that video.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Up, up, and away!

Thanks for showing off this game. I'll probably play Asylum and City someday even if I'm awful at them, but I don't think I'd get to this game.
Finally, we have Gotham's Space Program with him in the Batsuit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So yeah, we agree on Firefly. The fact all of your gadgets work really doesn't do it any favors because it's just so trivial. If Firefly had certain attacks you'd have to counter with certain gadgets - or all of your gadgets didn't have just about the same effect on him - it'd be a lot more involved. It's a decidedly lackluster ending to the best level of the game.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Vox was right, the first Pinkney page you picked up was 7. I remember him mentioning the birthday party when you let the audio run in that video.

Yes and no. The first page you pick up is always page 7, no matter which one you pick up first. Then it goes in order (1-6), and collecting them all somehow gives bats the location of Pinkney's crypt.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's always 7? That's stupid. :psyduck:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's always 7? That's stupid. :psyduck:

Presumably because that one tells you that the others are scattered about, and thus sets up the 'quest'.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Technowolf posted:

Yes and no. The first page you pick up is always page 7, no matter which one you pick up first. Then it goes in order (1-6), and collecting them all somehow gives bats the location of Pinkney's crypt.

My bad- I find those things so excruciating to listen to I must have misattributed the order.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I was one of those people who had no idea the Pinkney stuff even existed. I had always wondered what the hell that door was there for when I grabbed that particular datapack, and just attributed to some small easter egg or something.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Sorry this is a video late, but one nice touch in the final crime scene (the one in Crime Alley) is there's an Easter egg when reconstructing the scene where Bruce's parents very VERY briefly flash across the screen in the location they died in. Found one video here which shows it off around 1:15.

For having to traverse the space of a one hour video, appreciated the commentary by you two, very insightful into some of the likely behind the scenes thinking/issues, plus actually clarifying in my mind what I was unhappy with this game with. The lack of consideration for re-traversing the interior scenes in particular; both previous Arkham games did indeed do a much better job in either making it relatively painless or non-linear or else at least putting respawning encounters in to liven the area up. I knew backtracking in this game was more boring, hadn't really considered the why of it. On the bright side for Arkham Knight, apparently they at least had the design goal of "fewer but more interesting" for the Riddler trophy stuff; how well that works will remain to be seen in practice, but I'll grant the previewed races and probably combat encounters with those Riddler bots certainly support that they tried that. Though if one bit I caught in one of the preview photos is correct, they actually dumped one of the few improvements Origins DID make and you're back to having to make sure not to take down Riddler informants before the end of combat.

Regarding Pinkney, one of the subtle nice touches this game does for Arkham City in retrospect is that the museum Penguin set up shop in then was the Cyrus Pinkney's Institute for Natural History. So Henry Cobblepot's descendent was still wrecking Pinkney's hard work for criminal gain; truly the apple does not fall far from the tree.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Good news is the next video won't be an hour long. Bad news is this one still is HO HO HO HO. Anyway please enjoy the comedy stylings of SaffronKit.

Enigmatic Escapes/Polsy with SaffronKit

Campaign Challenge: Gothic/Polsy with The Dark Knight Batman

MadDogMike posted:

Sorry this is a video late, but one nice touch in the final crime scene (the one in Crime Alley) is there's an Easter egg when reconstructing the scene where Bruce's parents very VERY briefly flash across the screen in the location they died in. Found one video here which shows it off around 1:15.

You're right, and I'm not sure why I didn't point it out. If you're looking for it in my video (better quality) it's right around here.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 13, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Is that a Manbat reference mentioned right at the end there by Alfred? As far as I know he hasn't shown up in this series yet.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The guy on the right seems to be very concerned about the Joker's boner.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tombot posted:

Is that a Manbat reference mentioned right at the end there by Alfred? As far as I know he hasn't shown up in this series yet.

People seem to think that, but I'm fairly certain Alfred would be more concerned about a violent, man-sized bat that he's showing here.

Official artwork indicates that it's just a really big bat.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
The "Joker's Boner" stuff was apparently done as a deliberate joke by the writers at the time, as the word had both meanings at the time.

The Joker was a grimdark murderer when he first appeared, but that's because it was back in the pulp-inspired era. He didn't become a major character until the tone of Batman shifted to jokey camp (which hit its peak with Bat-baby and so on), so him going dark in the 80s and 90s was almost a reutrn to his roots. The Red Hood origin story also came from the Golden Age comics, though Killing Joke added the comedian stuff.

Kloro fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 13, 2015

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I am an unfunny man who thoroughly enjoys funny jokes. Also I didn't get to say in the video, but the Joke added immensely to the story and if he hadn't been in the game it would have been horrible. :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SaffronKit posted:

the Joke added immensely to the story and if he hadn't been in the game it would have been horrible. :colbert:

I don't think anyone has a problem with the Joker being in-game so much as him being the main villain again.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

I remember seeing the interviews for the TV show cast when they got to see the premiere showing of the Batman movie. When they asked Cesar Romero, the guy who played the Joker, what he thought of the movie, he said he hated that Joker was portrayed as a homicidal maniac, that it didn't respect the role of Joker being a fun-loving, light-hearted criminal mastermind.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't think anyone has a problem with the Joker being in-game so much as him being the main villain again.

It is a valid complaint, but I personally quite enjoyed that it rounded out with a sort of trilogy feel to the games with Joker as the main villain.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I think the joker being the red hood goes back to the mid 60's early 70's. I read some of my dad's old comics and that was in there. It was a multi-part thing where there were a series of chemical robberies by someone in a full metal hood and the person always escaped by diving in the water. The way the hood worked was that there were red 2-way mirrors for the eye holes and the metal helmet was hooked up to an air tank. Batman and robin figured out what chemical was left to steal and it was at the Ace chemical comp. During the fight the helmet gets cracked an instead of being caught he dives into the vat and makes his way out to the ocean. And it ends with him understanding what happened to him and just maniacally laughing.

Also in the stash was a story where batman had to use a secret remote baterang because some thugs had counters for the 9 other known baterang that he used.

Edited for more story.

Major_JF fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 14, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I remember seeing the interviews for the TV show cast when they got to see the premiere showing of the Batman movie. When they asked Cesar Romero, the guy who played the Joker, what he thought of the movie, he said he hated that Joker was portrayed as a homicidal maniac, that it didn't respect the role of Joker being a fun-loving, light-hearted criminal mastermind.

IIRC Adam West spent his inverview pitching his idea of doing a show or movie where Bruce is old as balls now and dealing with his age while passing on the mantle.

Even tho he's done a ton of varied work over the years, it warmed my heart that he still wanted to be Batman one more time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

hard counter posted:

IIRC Adam West spent his inverview pitching his idea of doing a show or movie where Bruce is old as balls now and dealing with his age while passing on the mantle.

Adam West in a live action Batman Beyond movie would be neat.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

What's also neat was that Mr. West pitched the idea in either '89 or '92, so well before Batman Beyond was a thing.

For all we know Timm and Dini got the idea from that interview :allears:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Adam West in a live action Batman Beyond movie would be neat.

I never knew I wanted this. But now I want it so badly.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Good news! This two videos mark the end of the main game. Which means it's time to move onto the DLC which, in my opinion, comes across better than the main game. Are you pumped? I'M PUMPED.

Enigma Solved/Polsy

The Extortion Tapes/Polsy

Campaign Challenge: Cataclysm/Polsy with First Appearance Batman

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cold, Cold Heart is way better than the main story, yeah.

It helps that the Penguin is actually apprehended. And it ties up the Riddler and Anarky side plots, too.

That last Extortion Tape for Alberto Falcone is the funniest thing when you realize it's Quinton Flynn doing his Jack the Ripper voice from Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 15, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Accidental double post.

Since it's here, though, I'll go ahead and mention two things:

1. Harvey Dent was also listed as a possible Batman suspect. I wonder why Eddie never pieced together Batman's identity from there once he became Two-Face.

2. To get Enigma's information fully unlocked, you have to talk to Alfred in the Batcave. Eventually he'll mention that Edward Nashton is the name of Enigma. Presumably he changes his last name to fit the nickname Batman gave him.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 15, 2015

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Getting all the extortion packs is... kinda of underwhelming.

edit: vvv Lies and slander.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 15, 2015

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

SaffronKit posted:

Batman: Arkham Origins is... kinda of underwhelming.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
A thought on the jammer being active to block you from getting the datapack right after the elevator in the bridge; is it possible it's from one of the guys in the Predator sequences wearing one of those backpacks that keeps you from doing it initially? I recall the next room having one of those guys, not sure if there was another one possibly in range that could do it, but would explain there being a mysterious jammer one time but not the next.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

A thought on the jammer being active to block you from getting the datapack right after the elevator in the bridge; is it possible it's from one of the guys in the Predator sequences wearing one of those backpacks that keeps you from doing it initially? I recall the next room having one of those guys, not sure if there was another one possibly in range that could do it, but would explain there being a mysterious jammer one time but not the next.

I'm pretty sure that's it. I remember being able to get that pack during the bridge section, probably by taking that guy out and backtracking.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

SaffronKit posted:

Getting all the extortion packs is... kinda of underwhelming.

Half of these "extortion" tapes don't even make sense.

"I'm going to tell the world that a major crime boss is acting a little funny... because he's been replaced by a different homicidal lunatic!"
"Gordon gave his daughter a police radio. He's so fired... after his fellow cops brutally murder him!"
"A notorious criminal called GCPD... and the cops tried to trace the call!"

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I love Alfred's snark at the very end :allears:

"If you keep up that tone of voice you'll be eating them instead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Only Alfred could get away with telling his boss to eat poo poo.

• Locked thread