Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
It also might've helped if Hogan took a break to make a movie or something after WrestleMania, because Warrior was the champ and ostensibly the top guy but Hogan was still there and still hugely over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Benne posted:

I've always wondered why Ultimate Warrior wasn't a draw as champion. Were people more interested in the chase than him actually holding the title? Was Hulkamania still strong in that period, where crowds didn't accept a different champion? Was his gimmick just too short-shelf-life to really last as the face of the company?

I'm going to say there were two main reasons:

#1 - He was essentially supposed to be Hogan 2, and people were either: Sick of Hogan, or just wanted the real Hogan

#2 - He loving sucked in the ring and on promos and was the worst at everything

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Gonzo McFee posted:

Also when he won the title Hogan went into business for himself and handed the belt to Warrior, turning the story from "young upstart beats established star" to "That nice man Hulk Hogan is graceful in defeat wow what a nice guy".

But Warrior was a piece of fettered poo poo so it's a good thing Hogan did that.

My favorite part of this is that Hebner brought the WWF belt in too early to hand to Warrior, and Warrior awkwardly grabs the IC title instead. Hebner offscreen sneaks it back outside so Hogan can go outside and grab it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfqV3xI8l_s

At 1:57

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm going to say there were two main reasons:

#1 - He was essentially supposed to be Hogan 2, and people were either: Sick of Hogan, or just wanted the real Hogan

#2 - He loving sucked in the ring and on promos and was the worst at everything

Warrior's promos are good

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Smoking Crow posted:

Yeah, and people also think that Sting was a good promo. The world is a strange place

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Sting promos were boring rambling bullshit, but Warrior promos were loving amazing rambling bullshit

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

They're good on YouTube 30 years later, but a YouTube video isn't supposed to convince you to buy a ticket to a wrestling match in the 1980s. That's what Warrior's promos were supposed to do, and by that standard they weren't so great.

Benne posted:

I've always wondered why Ultimate Warrior wasn't a draw as champion. Were people more interested in the chase than him actually holding the title? Was Hulkamania still strong in that period, where crowds didn't accept a different champion? Was his gimmick just too short-shelf-life to really last as the face of the company?
Warrior had to be carefully managed at all times, and that slacked off once he actually had the belt. In WCW you can see him coming in at the main-event level and being horribly managed.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 13, 2015

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Halloween Jack posted:

They're good on YouTube 30 years later, but a YouTube video isn't supposed to convince you to buy a ticket to a wrestling match in the 1980s. That's what Warrior's promos were supposed to do, and by that standard they weren't so great.

Warrior had to be carefully managed at all times, and that slacked off once he actually had the belt. In WCW you can see him coming in at the main-event level and being horribly managed.

Warrior always seemed like an attraction, not a main event draw. He was fun at what he did buy that didn't mean he was the main reason to watch.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

21 Hoot Salute posted:

My favorite part of this is that Hebner brought the WWF belt in too early to hand to Warrior, and Warrior awkwardly grabs the IC title instead. Hebner offscreen sneaks it back outside so Hogan can go outside and grab it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfqV3xI8l_s

At 1:57

lmao my favorite part is the super strong kickout at the 3.1 count and him hamming it up like it wasn't a 3 count, what a shmuck.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Warrior could really only cut one promo.

When you first hear it, it's fun, unique and even seems kind of profound. Once the novelty wears off, though, it's just a dude taking a long time to say nothing at all. If he were around today everyone here would've loved him at first and then turned on him after a few months.

Basically Warrior was a juiced up Bray Wyatt.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Back in the day Hogan was a nice role model and all that, but Warrior was all fire, fury, and neon colors. It was like one of your 80's action figures jumped into your tv and started wrecking fools. Like someone brought an atomic bomb to a knife fight.

The Rockers were also fast paced and brightly colored, which helped get them over with young fans. Good theme music also helped in both cases. A good, high energy entrance goes a long way.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
I've been DVRing and sporadically watching the NJPW show on AXIS tv. I have a couple minor questions:
What the hell is a never openweight title?
Is there much of an explanation behind the "Time Splitters" where the one guy dresses like a wrestling Marty McFly?
Is my guess that they cherry pick some of the absolute best stuff for the AXIS tv show correct?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why do wrestlers poop in things so much

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Smoking Crow posted:

protein shakes do some serious things to your gastrointestinal system and you gotta let it out somewhere

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
From watching 1999 PPVs and now the 98 Raws on the Network, I've noticed that I don't think I've ever seen Jeff Jarrett lose a match clean. At least he seems to go over nearly every time I see him.

If this is accurate, why was he so protected? He was AWFUL!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Monkeycheese posted:

I've been DVRing and sporadically watching the NJPW show on AXIS tv. I have a couple minor questions:
Is there much of an explanation behind the "Time Splitters" where the one guy dresses like a wrestling Marty McFly?
Is my guess that they cherry pick some of the absolute best stuff for the AXIS tv show correct?

NEVER was originally supposed to be a spinoff promotion focusing on young wrestlers and outsiders, kinda like NJPW's NXT. No NEVER cards were actually ran once Masato Tanaka won the tournament to become the first champ, so now it's basically just NJPW's midcard belt. Openweight refers to the fact that it's open to both juniors and heavys, and there was a KUSHIDA vs Ishii match once.

The Time Splitters consisted of an American and a Canada obsessed Japanese guy, and they "split time" between the two continents. KUSHIDA's a big BTTF fan so that naturally became part of the gimmick. Watch their WK8 entrance if you haven't yet.

And yeah, the U.S. TV show is basically a highlight reel of cool matches starting with Okada/Tanahashi at WK7.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

magnum_valentino posted:

From watching 1999 PPVs and now the 98 Raws on the Network, I've noticed that I don't think I've ever seen Jeff Jarrett lose a match clean. At least he seems to go over nearly every time I see him.

If this is accurate, why was he so protected? He was AWFUL!

Ain't he great?

Vince being buddies with Jerry Jarrett may have contributed to this.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ain't he great?

Vince being buddies with Jerry Jarrett may have contributed to this.

He honestly is NOT GREAT! He's one of a few wrestlers I just can't understand at all. Figured it'd be a family thing

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Jeff is good

He's the world's greatest lover

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Junpei Hyde posted:

He just took attendance figures into a nosedive, Ho Kogan.

:golfclap:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I was watching attitude era Raws too and the only opinion I remain completely unchanged on from when I was 9 years old is that Jeff Jarrett sucks

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

magnum_valentino posted:

He honestly is NOT GREAT! He's one of a few wrestlers I just can't understand at all. Figured it'd be a family thing

Also Vince Russo loves Jeff Jarrett so he pushes him to the moon

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Smoking Crow posted:

Jeff is good

He's the world's greatest mma fighter

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Monkeycheese posted:

The NEVER Openweight title is an acronym for "New blood, Evolution, Valianty, Eternal, Radical." It's generally considered the BIG HOSS title.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lotta bad opinions in this thread

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jeff is not the world's greatest singer though, that title goes to the Real Double J.

And Shane Douglas says that gimmick was supposed to go to him in 1992 anyway, complete with him singing on a Jimmy Hart-written EP.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Jeff Jarrett had the awesome don't piss me off shirt though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think you'll find that, upon closer inspection, Jeff Jarrett does indeed rule

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I think you'll find that, upon closer inspection, Jeff Jarrett does indeed rule

Agreed, Slappy up there needs to shut his trappy.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

That DICK! posted:

I was watching attitude era Raws too and the only opinion I remain completely unchanged on from when I was 9 years old is that Jeff Jarrett sucks

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Great White Hope posted:

Agreed, Slappy up there needs to shut his trappy.

Listen up, Slap Nuts

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Listen up, Slap Nuts

Reminder that you can get a Slap Nuts T-Shirt at GFW shows.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm on my phone, someone post "you forgot the only vote that counts" clip

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

So many people who hate Double J in here. In the TEW thread the guy was utterly buried by WCW booking because of this kind of sentiment.

Well, as the guy solely responsible for his renewed push, I just want to let everyone know I'm sorry.

Sorry that I DIDN'T DO IT EARLIER!

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Snacksmaniac posted:

Jeff Jarrett had the awesome don't piss me off shirt though.

I saw a Jarrett action figure at kmart during this period of time with the quote changed to "don't make me mad"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Monkeycheese posted:

I saw a Jarrett action figure at kmart during this period of time with the quote changed to "don't make me mad"

Was it next to the Al Snow action figure with the severed woman's head

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

gently caress j-e-double eff j-a-double are-e-double tee.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

TL posted:

It also might've helped if Hogan took a break to make a movie or something after WrestleMania, because Warrior was the champ and ostensibly the top guy but Hogan was still there and still hugely over.

He did! Hogan got squashed by Earthquake on the Brother Love show and was gone all summer to film Suburban Commando.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

Rusty Shackelford posted:

He did! Hogan got squashed by Earthquake on the Brother Love show and was gone all summer to film Suburban Commando.

I remember him making his big comeback at Summerslam and beating Earthquake that night

By count out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Smoking Crow posted:

https://vine.co/v/eOl2gemxvZV