Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

yes its good advice to recommend something that definitely doesnt support the majority of the stuff he needs on linux, rather than something that does

he also said "not go" though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
but that is what he should use instead of being a contrarian imbecile

pram
Jun 10, 2001
unrelated but is this really all rust comes with lol

https://doc.rust-lang.org/std/

edit: lol

http://arewewebyet.com/

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I went pretty far down the rust rabbit hole last night and I defo recommend it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what did you make

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

what did you make

just a bunch of eulers

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
and a lot of bad code

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://doc.rust-lang.org/intro.html

this sums up Rust pretty well imo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

unrelated but is this really all rust comes with lol

https://doc.rust-lang.org/std/

edit: lol

http://arewewebyet.com/

not being Web capable is a feature!

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Dessert Rose posted:

c# is a good language. you should use it.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

pram posted:

but that is what he should use instead of being a contrarian imbecile

it has literally nothing to do with being a contrarian and instead it has literally everything to do with the creator of the language's recommendation for who should use the language, that is, large teams with diverse levels of language experience and familiarity who need to hit the ground running in large codebases

a single person codebase is none of those things so there is no reason for me to use go, sorry bout your completely ineffectual cheerleading

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
are there any decent programming exercise sites other than euler? i've been poking at codewars but it's pretty lovely

basically i want to do tiny self-contained exercises rather than work on one project

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:smuggo:

http://blog.parse.com/learn/how-we-moved-our-api-from-ruby-to-go-and-saved-our-sanity/

quote:

In the end, the choice boiled down to C# vs Go, and we chose Go.

quote:

We love Go. We’ve found it really fast to deploy, really easy to instrument, really lightweight and inexpensive in terms of resources. It’s taken a while to get here, but the journey was more than worth it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

horse mans posted:

it has literally nothing to do with being a contrarian and instead it has literally everything to do with the creator of the language's recommendation for who should use the language, that is, large teams with diverse levels of language experience and familiarity who need to hit the ground running in large codebases

a single person codebase is none of those things so there is no reason for me to use go, sorry bout your completely ineffectual cheerleading

lol go is simple, it doesnt require a large team? are u retarded

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

but a large team / codebase is the only thing that justifies gos ancient type system, lack of generics, etc

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blinkz0rz posted:

are there any decent programming exercise sites other than euler? i've been poking at codewars but it's pretty lovely

basically i want to do tiny self-contained exercises rather than work on one project

see i want the opposite of this

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

but a large team / codebase is the only thing that justifies gos ancient type system, lack of generics, etc

yr a cry baby w/ a diaper full of poo

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

pram posted:

read->comprehend->post

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
please don't use languages without generics

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i comprehend it. you seem to believe that go is structured in a way that it makes a single person programming in it completely impossible which means your perception is thoroughly retarded

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

pram posted:

i comprehend it. you seem to believe that go is structured in a way that it makes a single person programming in it completely impossible which means your perception is thoroughly retarded

wrong

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Awia posted:

or using a i686 cross compiler or whatever, its a bit of a ballache

gently caress that, I'll just keep farting around in bochs+real mode like its 1982

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

the important bit was not using ruby

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

gently caress that, I'll just keep farting around in bochs+real mode like its 1982

yeah, setting that poo poo up was what stopped me trying to make a stupid like os thingy
that and laziness

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Brain Candy posted:

the important bit was not using ruby

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I added a loading acreen because the goatse image is loving big

the loading screen is an ascii goatse, which is much smaller

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

I added a loading acreen because the goatse image is loving big

the loading screen is an ascii goatse, which is much smaller

hahaha, amazing
are you sharing?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

horse mans posted:

post->post->post

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what's that man doing to anOS

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Awia posted:

hahaha, amazing
are you sharing?

once I dig up some real hardware out of my closet (my P133 dos game machine) and verify its operation

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Blinkz0rz posted:

4clojure

(clojure only)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

just a bunch of eulers

i did the first 15 or so eulers in rust and then started porting some other code into rust and im hooked too. i really like it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i used to be a ruby programmer and now i am a c# programmer and have a much lower desire to kill myself

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

fart simpson posted:

i did the first 15 or so eulers in rust and then started porting some other code into rust and im hooked too. i really like it

out of curiosity what do you like about it

triple sulk posted:

i used to be a ruby programmer and now i am a c# programmer and have a much lower desire to kill myself

i have a soft spot for ruby because rails made me care about web development but i haven't written anything in ruby in 5-6 years and my life is the better for it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

horse mans posted:

out of curiosity what do you like about it

in terms of language features, it's got all the stuff i like:

-- ADTs, generics, tuples
-- the OO stuff on structs is just enough to give you a nice amount of syntax sugar,
without feeling like a full blown OO languages. Traits/Interfaces are good.
-- pattern matching woo
-- shitloads of higher order functions (fold, map, etc)
-- default immutability, default private
-- macros are a great way to add powerful dynamic feeling methods to the languages

All of these are great things that I would love to have in any language, but Rust accomplishes it while being a systems language that is thread/memory/type safe. I'm pretty hooked after just a day of farting around. I guess the big bad thing right now is compile time (and that it's still not really stable), but whatever.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
java is the answer

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

cobol is the answer. enterprise enterprise enterpirse.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pram is turning into a stupider, more tiresome tbc. what a great gimmick to pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

at least the haskell idiot hell fuckers know their language is useless and don't pretend otherwise

• Locked thread