Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, got extremely lucky yesterday. Was turning on to the interstate, dump truck is ~50 feet up. The turn is almost a hairpin to get on, and narrows massively at the base of the ramp.

As I'm leaned to make it, the dump truck hits a bump...And dumps a 6' wide and maybe 10" deep clump of loving sand. Thankfully I didn't lizard brain it, and managed to get the bike upright and through it.

Stupid loving truck, that's one of my favorite turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coydog posted:

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to clean the carb tomorrow, then hone my technique. Good to know it's something I can pick up with practice.

I'd turn the idle up a bit, run some seafoam though the tank, and give it the beans before taking the carb off.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
coydog come chill with me and ripface next weekend for the ducati test ride

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PhoenixWing posted:

Was coming home for lunch today, and passed the same construction site I do everyday right next to my home. One of their work trucks was waiting to turn left across my lane. Two lanes in both directions, and a big centre divider in the middle. He's looking right at the two approaching cars coming from the other side, and doesnt see me, so, I start slowing down figuring he's going to pull out on me. The two cars pass, and he looks back to the left, and I swear he looks right at me (I'm ~100ft at this point) and pauses, so, I start to speed up again. And then he pulls right out in front of me, gets half way, and panic stops as he sees me (I think his buddy in the passenger seat freaked out, saw waving as he pulled out) blocking both lanes. I've been riding for 4 months now and have never been so happy that I practiced panic braking on this bike. Managed to stop with about 10 feet to spare.

Still pretty disappointed in myself that I didn't choose to dive to the opposing lanes or the exit, but, I panicked and just went into pants making GBS threads brake mode :( How the gently caress do people not see me? I'm on a bright blue bike in shiny reflective gear in the middle of the day, I should be visible from space.

When he looked over, you should've flashed your headlight or given a wave or something, since at that point you were expecting him to go, and you had already slowed down expecting him to go.

For example, if I'm coming to an intersection and the light's gone yellow and I'm slowing to stop, if there's someone coming toward be wanting to turn left and they're already in position, I'll flash my headlight to tell them to go, since they can't tell if I'm going to try to blast through or not.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Deeters posted:

The Blast tops out around an indicated 85, downhill. I don't remember hitting redline. It was just like there wasn't any more power.

You sure? I remember doing 100 on mine one time in like 2004 on a piece of dead flat perfectly straight road. I don't recommend it, and I never tried again.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

clutchpuck posted:

I'd turn the idle up a bit, run some seafoam though the tank, and give it the beans before taking the carb off.

I wish I had done that. I think I still might do the seafoam since my bike is idling too high all over. It has to be fouling the plug. I adjusted the valve clearances to be on the really loose end of spec, and while valve noise is louder now, they are in spec (to my very shoddy and confused knowledge), and the bike kicks over much easier. I think the high rpm is flooding the carb each time, so it still takes some kicks sometimes, but I can actually kick it now.

It's still an adventure getting it kick started each time, and I dearly wish I had an electric start, but I manage to get it started all on my own, which is satisfying. I think the valves were too tight, as the carb looked ok.

Razzled posted:

coydog come chill with me and ripface next weekend for the ducati test ride

Augh, I can't tell you how much I wish I could. I work weekends during the day. The sacrifices I make to pay for school and (now) bieks... :( I guess the good news is that I'll be able to go dirt riding on the weekdays when trails are empty and school is on break. :/

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

RadioPassive posted:

You sure? I remember doing 100 on mine one time in like 2004 on a piece of dead flat perfectly straight road. I don't recommend it, and I never tried again.

It was a long time ago for me too, but this was in CT so I don't really know how flat the highway was.

PhoenixWing posted:

Still pretty disappointed in myself that I didn't choose to dive to the opposing lanes or the exit, but, I panicked and just went into pants making GBS threads brake mode :( How the gently caress do people not see me? I'm on a bright blue bike in shiny reflective gear in the middle of the day, I should be visible from space.

This has been mentioned here before: When you're approaching someone like that, give your bars a little wiggle left and right. The movement of your headlight should catch someone's eye more than you coming straight at them.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The drivers in this city have my braking at an extremely high level of performance. I can threshold brake with howling tires all the way to 0 every single time without hitting ABS.

So uhhh, thanks Louisville! Great driver's training program you have here :)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog posted:

I wish I had done that. I think I still might do the seafoam since my bike is idling too high all over. It has to be fouling the plug. I adjusted the valve clearances to be on the really loose end of spec, and while valve noise is louder now, they are in spec (to my very shoddy and confused knowledge), and the bike kicks over much easier. I think the high rpm is flooding the carb each time, so it still takes some kicks sometimes, but I can actually kick it now.

It's still an adventure getting it kick started each time, and I dearly wish I had an electric start, but I manage to get it started all on my own, which is satisfying. I think the valves were too tight, as the carb looked ok.

Augh, I can't tell you how much I wish I could. I work weekends during the day. The sacrifices I make to pay for school and (now) bieks... :( I guess the good news is that I'll be able to go dirt riding on the weekdays when trails are empty and school is on break. :/

aw well, we'll def. have to make a trip out to durhamtown... just gotta get me either a designated DB or a set of DRZ400s wheels

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
YES, without question. I timidly took the klr on some gravel and across some grass today, then off a curb and some other things at a friends house tonight, and now I want to hoon on every patch of non road that I see. It must be addictive. I can't wait to get in some actual off road.

I think a set of drz wheels would be much cheaper than a running dirtbike... but then there are "non running" dirtbikes all over craigslist occasionally that only need a carb clean and valve adjustment.

Speaking of, now that my valves are adjusted, the bike kicks over like a dream. I don't even need the kickstand down for it. Makes the whole experience more like a normal bike, and not like "oh god I have to start it now oh no this is going to be tiring and terrible". Gotta fix that disgusting sounding FMF exhaust asap, though. :(

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My KLR was stolen last night, I didn't even have it a full two days.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

That sucks, I'm sorry. Did you have comprehensive?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog posted:

:[ i would give you all my karma if i could. you just cannot catch a break god drat

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Coydog posted:

drat, sorry man. Hopefully the loving thief rode it into a very pointy tree.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I have comprehensive with a 500 deductible through progressive. On a 2001 klr250, I can't imagine they will think its worth anything much over that. I just got done with the insurance claim and police report. What a horrible thing to wake up to.

People who steal bikes and cars should be shot. At least those guys have a perfectly tuned klr, now.

Thanks for the support.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coydog posted:

What the gently caress, Jesus Christ man. That sucks so bad.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Coydog posted:

I have comprehensive with a 500 deductible through progressive. On a 2001 klr250, I can't imagine they will think its worth anything much over that. I just got done with the insurance claim and police report. What a horrible thing to wake up to.

People who steal bikes and cars should be shot. At least those guys have a perfectly tuned klr, now.

Thanks for the support.

You are having a record run of bad luck. Don't let it get you down. It is nearly impossible to stop someone from stealing a motorcycle if they really want it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Thanks for the support.

That's why they shot horse thieves :clint:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gorson posted:

It is nearly impossible to stop someone from stealing a motorcycle if they really want it.

The trick is keeping it locked behind a garage door so somebody won't even know they want it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Coydog posted:

If there was a way to make a living out of hunting these bastards down, I'd dedicate the rest of my days to it. This is the downside of dual sports--it's too easy for Jethro to nab it, rattle can it, stash it in one of his 17 out buildings, then pull it out for trails where no ORV sticker is required.

Honorary pit maneuver:

http://youtu.be/4oHP9tXXEE4

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
That loving sucks, Coydog. Just out of curiosity, what security stuff were you using? Chain, disc locks, etc?

Also rumor has it you're in the Atlanta area. If you want, I can lend you a hammer drill (pretty sure it's here somewhere) and we can sink one of these motherfuckers in your parking lot. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kryptonite-stronghold-anchor

Make those dirty thieves work for the next bike. :getin:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Ripoff posted:

That loving sucks, Coydog. Just out of curiosity, what security stuff were you using? Chain, disc locks, etc?

Also rumor has it you're in the Atlanta area. If you want, I can lend you a hammer drill (pretty sure it's here somewhere) and we can sink one of these motherfuckers in your parking lot. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kryptonite-stronghold-anchor

They need some kind of scale for that photo. I was looking at it like it was the size of a keyring and then it stated "anchored with 5/8" bolts" and suddenly it got really big.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Wasn't there someone here with a near-new SD that had some sort of oil pump assembly issue and the dealership ended up taking the whole engine to bits to make sure it wasn't trashed?

That was me, yeah. More precisely it was the oil pressure regulator piston, which had some irregularities from the casting/milling process remaining, basically your run-of-the-mill QC issue. Dunno if that's a KTM-manufactured part or outsourced. They do have that Bajaj connection...

Additionally the air filter mounting was of the leaky sort, like in some of the earlier 1190 Adventures. That's more worrying since it should've been fixed long since. Fortunately I don't go on gravel much.

But still: get the Superduke. It's a truly awesome bike and the issues I've heard of are similar in kind to any other new model from any mfg.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Coydog posted:

As someone who has had his bike stolen... don't give up hope completely. It might just show up a few weeks later parked somewhere. Also progressive was rather generous with the numbers they were giving me for the pay out. I got my bike back 2 days before the pay out.

Luckily all they did was gently caress my locks and steal my factory toolkit. :arghfist:

The insurance paid the 550 dollar lock replacement cost..

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Riding the scooter to go grab lunch. Car sitting at green light not responding to honks. I go around.

Next light, some old lady in an SUV rolls down her window:

"You're the kind of person that gives motorcyclists a bad name!"

"Excuse me?"

"Cutting in front of people like that you should be ashamed!"

"Lady, drivers sitting parked at green lights give drivers a bad name, you're an idiot"

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
revmoo, that's hilarious. What a moron. Good on you for dropping a quick retort.

Sorry for this massive post. Yesterday I was busy with school and sorting this mess out and just generally feeling down and weird. I REALLY am heartwarmed by everyone here offering kindness and encouragement. You are all perfect in every way.

Gorson posted:

You are having a record run of bad luck. Don't let it get you down. It is nearly impossible to stop someone from stealing a motorcycle if they really want it.
I keep telling myself this, to stave off kicking myself for not parking it in a different spot, or getting a cover for it sooner, or something. At least I was smart enough to pick the 500 deductible instead of the 1000 deductible, even though 500 will really mess me up.

On the bad luck, that's what's so insanely crazy. It's like my "thing" with bikes is to have the most random and hard events happen at the worst times. I'd rather it if my "thing" was running into mailboxes and getting crazy good at riding and owning bikes. That would be a nicer thing, but so it goes...

Chris Knight posted:

That's why they shot horse thieves :clint:
YES. We need to bring that back.

Coredump posted:

This is pretty much my stock reaction to the whole thing all day yesterday. :( Thanks man.

Marv Hushman posted:

If there was a way to make a living out of hunting these bastards down, I'd dedicate the rest of my days to it. This is the downside of dual sports--it's too easy for Jethro to nab it, rattle can it, stash it in one of his 17 out buildings, then pull it out for trails where no ORV sticker is required.

Honorary pit maneuver:

http://youtu.be/4oHP9tXXEE4
Me too. That would be a fun living. I was told by the previous owner that he had an old 4wd stolen and learned that stuff like this is prime to be sent to south america, especially enduro stuff. You are also correct, there are plenty of country places in this state where a random dirtbike wouldn't even be looked at twice. Oddly, I was pulled over on sunday because it wasn't tagged. I wish the same had happened to the thief.

That video was extremely cathartic, THANK YOU.

Ripoff posted:

No security stuff yet. I had barely gotten it tuned up, and it was parked where my SV used to go untouched. It strikes me as really dumb, because it's kickstart only. All they had to do is snip the wires to the ignition and kick it over and they have a full bike. At least now I've learned the value of a bike cover and some sort of locks.

I really want to sink one of those into my lot. That would be great, though I'm not sure they would let me. Thanks for the offer of help.

Minkee posted:

As someone who has had his bike stolen... don't give up hope completely. It might just show up a few weeks later parked somewhere. Also progressive was rather generous with the numbers they were giving me for the pay out. I got my bike back 2 days before the pay out.

Luckily all they did was gently caress my locks and steal my factory toolkit. :arghfist:

The insurance paid the 550 dollar lock replacement cost..

I really hope so, but I'm afraid that when it shows up it will be trashed. I'm so glad I have progressive then, thank you. You've given me a little hope on both fronts.

What really makes me upset is, along with completely blending up my life at a time when I really don't need this extra stress, this completely shapes what bike I want to get in the future. I'm not even free to pick a bike I can afford, because I think of how it will be taken from me. Like last year when I wanted to grab a grom. NOPE, can't do that. Not free to do that, because someone would just put it in their pocket and leave. All they did was selfishly steal my vehicle, and I'm left with days/weeks of tedium and expense and stress. Yesterday, my head would snap around whenever I heard a two stroke, or saw a bike parked, in hopes that might be mine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My Harbor Freight multimeter lasted one use. loving wire fell out of the probe. Fixable, I suppose.

I guess since I have a Buell and an RX-7 I should invest in something decent...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Get the $40 green one it's pretty decent.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-digital-multimeter-98674.html

PRO LEVEL harbor freight multimeter

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I have an older version of this one, I think, and it's awesome:
http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-34-82141-Digital-Multimeter-Functions/dp/B000X5TSUA

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Coydog posted:

On the bad luck, that's what's so insanely crazy. It's like my "thing" with bikes is to have the most random and hard events happen at the worst times. I'd rather it if my "thing" was running into mailboxes and getting crazy good at riding and owning bikes. That would be a nicer thing, but so it goes...

:lol:

Coydog posted:

What really makes me upset is, along with completely blending up my life at a time when I really don't need this extra stress, this completely shapes what bike I want to get in the future. I'm not even free to pick a bike I can afford, because I think of how it will be taken from me. Like last year when I wanted to grab a grom. NOPE, can't do that. Not free to do that, because someone would just put it in their pocket and leave. All they did was selfishly steal my vehicle, and I'm left with days/weeks of tedium and expense and stress. Yesterday, my head would snap around whenever I heard a two stroke, or saw a bike parked, in hopes that might be mine.

Buy a Blast. Jokes on whoever steals it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Bad idea. In America you can face criminal charges for knowingly installing a booby trap that causes death or dismemberment.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Yeah this one rocks. I've had it for a couple years now and it works great.

Digital_Jesus posted:

What's the joke where you lock up your Blast and wake up the next morning and there's a second one next to it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

revmoo posted:

What's the joke where you lock up your Blast and wake up the next morning and there's a second one next to it.

Bacterial Mitosis?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Bad idea. In America you can face criminal charges for knowingly installing a booby trap that causes death or dismemberment.

Or move to Texas and sit on your roof with a rifle all night.

It's probably legal.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Marxalot posted:

Or move to Texas and sit on your roof with a rifle all night.

It's probably legal.

Here in Texas not only is it legal to walk around with a rifle, you can legally shoot people to prevent them taking your property if you believe it's the only way to get it back.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

This never would have happened if Coydog had a gun.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Digital_Jesus posted:

This never would have happened if Coydog had a gun.

Obviously he needs to arm his next/current-if-returned bike with a .45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Coydog posted:

I was a wreck after my bike was stolen and it happened 3 days before christmas. Progressive's payout is at 21 days. Just keep your head up, talk to your detective a lot, and bug the poo poo out of your claims adjuster.

If you do get it back or get a new bike do what I do...

I cover my bike every single day. I have a front disc lock, and a huge rear end u-lock for the rear. Its likely they won't come back unless you're having it lifted into a truck.