Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well it was just in the humble bundle for :tenbux: along with with some other decent grog games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Speaking of Close Combat: Gateway to Caen...

Anyone want it?

HQ26G-L5G5J-WEYYM

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

From doing a search it looks like this is the right place to say that Distant Worlds: Universe is an amazing game. I've played it for like 10 hours of which probably 9 hours of that had the game on pause. I might have to start paying more attention to these kinds of games.

nipperi
Nov 1, 2011

Kenzie posted:

Speaking of Close Combat: Gateway to Caen...

Anyone want it?

HQ26G-L5G5J-WEYYM

Got it, thanks!

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Pharnakes posted:

Well it was just in the humble bundle for :tenbux: along with with some other decent grog games.

Enh, none of those other ones really appealed to me, and I saved that much already with the Steam summer sale buying games I actually wanted

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panama Red posted:

Enh, none of those other ones really appealed to me, and I saved that much already with the Steam summer sale buying games I actually wanted

This is terrible logic.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Alchenar posted:

This is terrible logic.

Don't get me wrong, I would have taken advantage of that bundle had I known about it at the time, but considering I just saved a bunch of cash on games that were on my Steam wishlist, I'm not going to bemoan the fact that there was one game I could have gotten for cheaper

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

From doing a search it looks like this is the right place to say that Distant Worlds: Universe is an amazing game. I've played it for like 10 hours of which probably 9 hours of that had the game on pause. I might have to start paying more attention to these kinds of games.

It is the best space 4X and the best MoO successor, unless GalCiv3 is which I haven't played. I'm actually excited to see the new MoO and how they compare.

SoW:Watergoons:

How's the performance? Because Scourge of War runs worse on a modern rig than Crysis did at launch on an Apple II.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It is the best space 4X and the best MoO successor, unless GalCiv3 is which I haven't played. I'm actually excited to see the new MoO and how they compare.

SoW:Watergoons:

How's the performance? Because Scourge of War runs worse on a modern rig than Crysis did at launch on an Apple II.

I don't think DW is a good MoO successor because it's full of black box mechanics which is definitively not MoO at all.

Scourge of War runs okay for me, unless you try to do the whole armies, then it chugs.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How do you mean? In terms of conquering systems with multiple planets, some of which you'll have to research first, differing aliens with differing abilities, and overall empire building I felt it took MoO 2 in the expanded direction. True all the civilian and other things you don't control is a departure from the design but as far as space empire 4X's go I have yet to play any better.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

Well there's 10 more people playing now than there were an hour ago so they sold that many copies
http://steamcharts.com/app/321410#48h

Unfortunately steam only tracks if you have the matrix launcher open, not the actual game.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Baloogan posted:

Unfortunately steam only tracks if you have the matrix launcher open, not the actual game.

Is there any way you'd be able to share how well the sale helped actually move copies for you guys when its over? 50% off is loving huge.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

How do you mean? In terms of conquering systems with multiple planets, some of which you'll have to research first, differing aliens with differing abilities, and overall empire building I felt it took MoO 2 in the expanded direction. True all the civilian and other things you don't control is a departure from the design but as far as space empire 4X's go I have yet to play any better.

It's not a bad game but I found it rather easy, and all the civilian/pirate stuff tends to cause the game to chug in long games. For all the economic stuff, to me, it still ends up being more planets = better than, so all those mechanics feel like bloat, and anti-piracy is annoying as hell, and sometimes ground invasions end up being kind of silly as the AI is able to shove tons and tons and tons of troops on a planet.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
And yeah 50% sale on Command this weekend! If you wanted to get it but thought it was too expensive this would be the time to buy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Well it's spiked to the highest concurrent users in history

e: barring the week of release.

ps. that's why you have achievements for gameplay milestones :ssh:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Panzeh posted:

It's not a bad game but I found it rather easy, and all the civilian/pirate stuff tends to cause the game to chug in long games. For all the economic stuff, to me, it still ends up being more planets = better than, so all those mechanics feel like bloat, and anti-piracy is annoying as hell, and sometimes ground invasions end up being kind of silly as the AI is able to shove tons and tons and tons of troops on a planet.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I never found it difficult on the default settings (never experimented turning them up because I HATE cheating AI) aside from the piracy stuff. That was annoying as gently caress and I actually turned it down in the custom settings to make playing it less tedious and actually doable. Did you play with the full expansions experience? They updated the engine that fixed MOST of the chugging and reworked the ground combat to be, uh, better and not super lovely but still not great. They also reworked research from an impenetrable arbitrary mess that made almost no sense to a more standard Civ-like system.

Also it should be mentioned I play with the Expanded (Extended?) mod that adds a bunch of races and poo poo.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Because Scourge of War runs worse on a modern rig than Crysis did at launch on an Apple II.

I have no idea why, but the 2D terrain sprites totally kill that game for me. If I press T to turn off the terrain, it runs fine, even with huge armies marching around. The Gettysburg map in particular runs like poo poo with all the wheat and corn fields. Antietam runs a bit better but not great. Chancellorsville runs perfectly fine. No slowdown whatsoever.

I really liked Take Command: 2nd Manassas, and it ran great even when I was marching the whole army of the Potomac around. I don't know anything about computers or graphics or programming, so it's confusing how there is such a dramatic difference in performance in the sequel, even though it doesn't really look much different. The color palette looks different, and there is a bit more detail on some of the sprites I guess?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

It is extremely strange. I'd play it a lot more if it weren't for the performance and a few other niggling things around the edges.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I enjoyed the goon games we did that one weekend, but I thought my computer would fly away and explode. I pulled the trigger on Case Blue. Even though I've played some War in the East, I'm not used to my units starting off as poo poo and having reinforcements and long term planning. WtP is pretty quick and dirty.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Baloogan posted:

And yeah 50% sale on Command this weekend! If you wanted to get it but thought it was too expensive this would be the time to buy.

I got on board since this is the cheapest it will ever be and I hear great things about it, aside from how daunting it looks. I was watching some of your tutorial videos last night and they seem super helpful.

How long did it take you to learn CMANO like the back of your hand? It's already a challenging-looking interface and you seem to have it completely memorized.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Chump Farts posted:

I enjoyed the goon games we did that one weekend, but I thought my computer would fly away and explode. I pulled the trigger on Case Blue. Even though I've played some War in the East, I'm not used to my units starting off as poo poo and having reinforcements and long term planning. WtP is pretty quick and dirty.

Start with the First Panzer Campaign. It's a series of linked scenarios where you go all blitzkrieg on the Soviets in a series of small maps and it's all very similar to WtP while giving you a feel for how the Soviet units are structured and how things like mud and railway repair effect how you play.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

I got on board since this is the cheapest it will ever be and I hear great things about it, aside from how daunting it looks. I was watching some of your tutorial videos last night and they seem super helpful.

How long did it take you to learn CMANO like the back of your hand? It's already a challenging-looking interface and you seem to have it completely memorized.

Took me a while, and I'm still learning new things! I do have the UI pretty much memorized...

A good starting scenario is South China Clash played from the USN side.

One neat thing about Command is that it covers a huge swath of history; the same skills that might make you a great admiral in 2015 don't help you in 1949.

If you have any questions, or just want to chat about Command please come by a chatroom I set up.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Baloogan posted:

Took me a while, and I'm still learning new things! I do have the UI pretty much memorized...

A good starting scenario is South China Clash played from the USN side.

One neat thing about Command is that it covers a huge swath of history; the same skills that might make you a great admiral in 2015 don't help you in 1949.

If you have any questions, or just want to chat about Command please come by a chatroom I set up.

I haven't even launched the game yet, what time period does South China Clash take place in? I was thinking about starting with some of the earlier mid-20th century scenarios as I thought they'd be easier (what with not having to take things like EWAR, etc. into account).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

I haven't even launched the game yet, what time period does South China Clash take place in? I was thinking about starting with some of the earlier mid-20th century scenarios as I thought they'd be easier (what with not having to take things like EWAR, etc. into account).

I think SCC is modern, 2014-2015ish. http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/Scenario?Location=scens%2F%2FSouth+China+Clash%2C+2013.scen (Don't download it from my site though, my copy is oooold hah. I should update all the scenarios on my site...)

Also I think this is pretty neat: http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/Import This is a listing of all the available 'ready built' scenario imports.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I haven't read the whole thread (I know, I know), but have you checked out Vietnam '65? It focuses on counterinsurgency in a particular part of the Vietnam War, in the Ia Drang region on the border with Cambodia. You send out Air Cav and Green Beret units to gather intelligence and drop artillery fire or airstrikes on NVA and Viet Cong teams. Land mines and ambushes are the enemy weapons of choice, but if they get a foothold, they will launch major offensives with tank support. You are constantly putting together an intelligence picture of the Ho Chi Minh trail and VC activity while juggling with political support both at home and in the villages whose allegiance can switch due to hearts and minds activity like mine clearance and patrols or enemy actions. The gameplay is heavily focused on resupply of patrols with Hueys and Chinooks. I found the game to be fun and different from other games I've played. It's available on Steam for 10€ last time I checked. Anyone else played this?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/336080/

Link to the game forums:

http://slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=329&sid=6ec7052b145c5f077261d73eea6d20fe

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
I ended up picking up Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations WOTY after doing some quick looking around. Reminds me a lot of the old Janes' Fleet Command (Which I still play from time to time) for one thing and i guess that was enough to grab my attention.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
How easy is it to get into if I've played the gently caress out of Harpoon:CE? Also how good are the WWIII scenarios?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Drone posted:

Took me getting hammered twice before i managed to learn it enough to play it, a couple more to really feel like i got a grip on it, it has been a while but if i remember the in game tutorial uses the set up missions feature or encourages you too, this confused me a lot at the start so personally i only use it for really passive stuff like sub hunting, refuelling and radar coverage, even using it for CAP stuff i stick it on a passive mission just to keep it in the air and i micro all the intercepts, it makes playing it a bit more fiddly but i found it helped me understand it a lot better and resulted in a lot less frustrating unintended consequences.

I really recommend watching some of baloogan's scenario video's along with the tutorial ones, it helped me to see what a strike should look like when setting it up and just how other people respond and what different things in game look like.
https://www.youtube.com/user/baloogan/playlists
I recommend episode 10, 11, 26 and 2.2, 2.1 is really useful as well but it does spoil the start to a really great long scenario, (though not enough to stop me enjoying playing it afterwards.)

Koesj posted:

How easy is it to get into if I've played the gently caress out of Harpoon:CE? Also how good are the WWIII scenarios?

Pretty easy i would guess, i never played harpoon but didnt find it hard to get to grips with at all and i understand its quite similar in many ways, just knowing how things work in these kind of simulations will be really helpful. Doing stuff isnt hard, i found the main difficulty is in knowing what to do or what is happening.

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 13, 2015

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

uPen posted:

It's better in literally every way except for no 6 goons playing together to somehow gently caress up invading France.

Buy it and play me.

I've put maybe three or four hours into it at this point, but I'm willing to jump in the deep end. Scenario and sides?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

He's dead Jim!

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

dtkozl posted:

He's dead Jim!

Not on fire => not dead.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Chump Farts posted:

I've put maybe three or four hours into it at this point, but I'm willing to jump in the deep end. Scenario and sides?

I don't really care, I'm not a huge fan of the Trappenjagd scenario so lets say Case Blue with me as Germany? For variants lets say:
High Command (STAVKA/Hitler want us to do things)
Dismissal Defeat (STAVKA/Hitler can end the game by firing the player)
Axis Minors (I need to give Axis minors their own commands rather than sticking everything under German leaders)
C&C Rules (Soviets are disorganized and sometimes won't follow orders in the early game)
Constrained Oil (I have to pay attention to oil consumption/actually go for oilfields)

e: If you want to play as Germany or do Uranus that is also fine.

uPen fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 13, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

apseudonym posted:

dtkozl posted:

He's dead Jim!
Not on fire => not dead.
It's life, but not as we know it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lichtenstein posted:

Not on fire => not dead.

quote:

It's life, but not as we know it.

There's Nazis on the starboard bow, scrape them off Jim.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

uPen posted:

I don't really care, I'm not a huge fan of the Trappenjagd scenario so lets say Case Blue with me as Germany? For variants lets say:
Axis Minors (I need to give Axis minors their own commands rather than sticking everything under German leaders)
C&C Rules (Soviets are disorganized and sometimes won't follow orders in the early game)
Constrained Oil (I have to pay attention to oil consumption/actually go for oilfields)

Alchiki and I did a Uranus scenario before we started Trappenjagd, I think it's a great one for a Soviet player learning how to use the Red army to do a big mechanized offensive but really bad for a multiplayer game. The nature of the scenario is that the German player is placed in a situation where there's no options because there are no reserves, the Soviets are attacking with overwhelming force everywhere and because of the way the game treats supply, 6th army will fold within a few turns rather than giving you two full months to prepare and attempts a counter attack.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

uPen posted:

Don't be surprised if I suck, but sounds fun. I like the idea of Hitler and Stalin loving with us frequently. If you don't mind setting it up, just PM me the password.

Alchenar posted:

Alchiki and I did a Uranus scenario before we started Trappenjagd, I think it's a great one for a Soviet player learning how to use the Red army to do a big mechanized offensive but really bad for a multiplayer game. The nature of the scenario is that the German player is placed in a situation where there's no options because there are no reserves, the Soviets are attacking with overwhelming force everywhere and because of the way the game treats supply, 6th army will fold within a few turns rather than giving you two full months to prepare and attempts a counter attack.

Are you guys documenting that game, because I'd enjoy reading it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Chump Farts posted:

Are you guys documenting that game, because I'd enjoy reading it.

I really wish we'd were because I'd love to be able to talk through how I deliberately juggled 5 or 6 different mini-offensives to keep Alchiki in the dark as to where my main blow was going to come until it was far too late and I was about to envelop his entire central front. We're only on turn 11 and the time it's going to take me to digest this pocket means he has plenty of opportunity to muster new armies on a new line (the rate of Soviet replacements is disgusting) so there's still everything to play for.

Even so there have been some really cool moments, like when I had to rail up a reserve infantry division to a town to block one of Alchiki's attacks that had blown a hole clear through my line and split a corps in two.

e: my main advice - pay really close attention to the road net. In France and Poland there are roads everywhere and there's probably a minimum of three or four supplying your army. In the Case Blue the scarcity of roads and their sometimes awkward layout can be deadly. Case in point: there's two roads that supply everything Soviet in the salient south of Kharkov and losing them means disaster.

I'm also having an interesting time experimenting with using Transports to allow units to move behind enemy lines and disrupt their supplies while being supplied themselves.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 13, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

dtkozl posted:

He's dead Jim!

Take a look at the goon v goon LP I drove the German side in. We had a tank more hit decal than texture towards the end. Re: no fire not dead

Also holy gently caress, this WOULD be the thread to devolve into that fuckin' Star Trekkin' song...

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

SlightlyMad posted:

I haven't read the whole thread (I know, I know), but have you checked out Vietnam '65? It focuses on counterinsurgency in a particular part of the Vietnam War, in the Ia Drang region on the border with Cambodia. You send out Air Cav and Green Beret units to gather intelligence and drop artillery fire or airstrikes on NVA and Viet Cong teams. Land mines and ambushes are the enemy weapons of choice, but if they get a foothold, they will launch major offensives with tank support. You are constantly putting together an intelligence picture of the Ho Chi Minh trail and VC activity while juggling with political support both at home and in the villages whose allegiance can switch due to hearts and minds activity like mine clearance and patrols or enemy actions. The gameplay is heavily focused on resupply of patrols with Hueys and Chinooks. I found the game to be fun and different from other games I've played. It's available on Steam for 10€ last time I checked. Anyone else played this?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/336080/

Link to the game forums:

http://slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=329&sid=6ec7052b145c5f077261d73eea6d20fe

I really enjoy it, it's a great little game and simulates counterinsurgency ops better than any other wargame I've tried. Apparently a new update came out recently which apparently improves the UI, AI and adds new difficulty options, but I haven't tried it yet. I did notice the developer posted this on the steam forums though:

Looks like we might get an Afghanistan-themed version next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Koesj posted:

I also played the poo poo out of Harpoon like decades ago and this game is great. It really feels like a modern Harpoon.