Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i remember the northridge earthquake vividly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Proud to reside in a Rupture Zone :ca:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
and the total likelihoods

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2015/3009/pdf/fs2015-3009.pdf

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Smythe posted:

i remember the northridge earthquake vividly

high five quake-bro

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'd rather deal with periodic quakes than weather patterns that scour the surface of our planet clean of the works of man, tbqh

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

the gently caress is this poo poo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
that's hosed up right there

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
do you wear it on yoru dick?

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003

Yellow background to go with the yellow fever.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol, can't wait for some cracker to wear that and reveal they are scared of all black people

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cold on a Cob posted:

do you wear it on yoru dick?

cockcuffing will become de rigueur for simple social interactions, reducing the need for any expression that cannot be expressed by firmness

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The fuq

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

american cities are the worst

i'm the boner smiley

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

tbf

Is this a real app or an art project?
It is both. It is a fully functioning app based on scientific research. We are two artists that created it as a provocation, a taste of where we may be heading with our quantified living and algorithmic decision making. It relates to some previous projects we’ve made like us+, Social Turkers, and Conversnitch. We hope that seeing and trying the app will enable people to think critically about this future and speak out about what we do and don't want to manifest.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ah, excellent. at last, a device to tell me who should be auto-scheduled into my life.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
i bet this isn't any more accurate than just getting a mood ring and keeping track of what the color is around certain people lol

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
ed: apologies, bad posting

crusader_complex fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 13, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

duTrieux. posted:

tbf

It is both. It is a fully functioning app based on scientific research. We are two artists that created it as a provocation, a taste of where we may be heading with our quantified living and algorithmic decision making. It relates to some previous projects we’ve made like us+, Social Turkers, and Conversnitch. We hope that seeing and trying the app will enable people to think critically about this future and speak out about what we do and don't want to manifest.

this is a pretty genius way to shop around a business plan. if it takes off then hey you are rich. if people slam you over it then ugh they don't get art.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

coffeetable posted:

i only just realised this is not a thing in american cities

shockingly when you're not building around a 6 century old labyrinth of tiny streets, you don't end up with streets that barely function with cars and thus can be easily closed off to cars.

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003

Dubstep Jesus posted:

i bet this isn't any more accurate than just getting a mood ring and keeping track of what the color is around certain people lol

But can a mood ring tell you who you get aroused by?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

duTrieux. posted:

tbf

badappdev conversnitch

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

luvs2Bgraded posted:

But can a mood ring tell you who you get aroused by?

the something awful moderator interview consists of wearing a mood ring while google image searching "child"

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Nintendo Kid posted:

shockingly when you're not building around a 6 century old labyrinth of tiny streets, you don't end up with streets that barely function with cars and thus can be easily closed off to cars.
lol what

okay going from personal experience

here is lookin down the high street of my tiny, lovely industrial hometown

here is the high street of my v nice university city

here is the high street of my current not-quite-as-nice city

i can imagine several good explanations as to why american cities might be less keen on pedestrianisation than their european counterparts, but 'no ye olde streets' isn't one of them.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

coffeetable posted:

lol what

i can imagine several good explanations as to why american cities might be less keen on pedestrianisation than their european counterparts, but 'no ye olde streets' isn't one of them.

lol goddamn american cities suck so much

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yah we have one of those streets its super touristy and thats where the cheesecake factory is!!!!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

coffeetable posted:

lol what

if those count then assloads of american cities have ~pedestrianized streets~ or whatever you call them lol.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol, can't wait for some cracker to wear that and reveal they are scared of all black people

lmao

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
my town has a big street and a less big street and a lot of little small streets

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
same

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Luigi Thirty posted:

the something awful moderator interview consists of wearing a mood ring while google image searching "child"
23% AROUSED-NEGLIGIBLE

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

beep boop

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

i'd rather deal with periodic quakes than weather patterns that scour the surface of our planet clean of the works of man, tbqh

but living in new orleans owns

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fishmech why are you against pedestrianism, idgi

i got off the train one stop before main sf by mistake once and decided to hoof it. like 90% no sidewalks and then when theyre there its slabs of concrete like some kind of hateful deathworld.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

this is spectacular

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ry.html?hpid=z1

quote:

Rich Californians balk at limits: ‘We’re not all equal when it comes to water’

People “should not be forced to live on property with brown lawns, golf on brown courses or apologize for wanting their gardens to be beautiful,”

“And, no, we’re not all equal when it comes to water.”

In April, after Gov. Jerry Brown (D) called for a 25 percent reduction in water use, consumption in Rancho Santa Fe went up by 9 percent.

“I think we’re being overly penalized, and we’re certainly being overly scrutinized by the world,” said Gay Butler, an interior designer out for a trail ride on her show horse, Bear. She said her water bill averages about $800 a month.

“It angers me because people aren’t looking at the overall picture,” Butler said. “What are we supposed to do, just have dirt around our house on four acres?”

Yuhas, who hosts a conservative talk-radio show, abhors the culture of “drought-shaming”

“When we bought, we didn’t plan on getting a place that looks like we’re living in an African savanna.”

Another friend, Woods said, has seen the value of his nine-acre plot plummet from $30 million to $22 million

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
never been but from what i'm reading these days this california place seems kinda bogus

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

coffeetable posted:

drought-shaming

superb

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

quote:

Butler said she, too, is replacing grass with drought-friendly native landscaping on her four acres, at a cost of nearly $80,000. [...] But she came to the decision grudgingly, she said. And she defends the amount of water she and her neighbors need for their vast estates.

You could put 20 houses on my property, and they’d have families of at least four. In my house, there is only two of us,” Butler said. So “they’d be using a hell of a lot more water than we’re using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

weekend at parents' status: my mom wants me to set up a pinterest account for her

• Locked thread